• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 15-21 | 16 is barely okay

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just a heads up since a lot of CanadaGAFers are here: The Amazon.ca E3 deal ends today at midnight. Probably the cheapest you'll get SFV (among pretty much every other game in the future at launch) at about $42. Thread.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
BTW, I took these two screen caps of OFFICAL Capcom Fighters Account when they were streaming today.

Shot fired at Daigo.

5Oa91s8.jpg

Shot fired at NRS.

GeoNeo

I disagree.
It's good for any game. Just think about the necessary physical movement to tap a direction twice, and compare it with pushing two buttons simultaneously. The two-button push always produces faster, smoother gameplay. I consider it good basic game design.

God, I love you Karsticles.

I also tell my friends that it would take SF to the next step when it came to movement, but they were against it. ;_;

I like double tap for dash for SF, especially when playing on pad.

2 buttons is not easier for me.
Everyone is different. I can see why it would be reverse on a pad, and I kind of agree. That's why there should be an option for both. Let people use what they are comfortable with. Personally, I have trouble double tapping to the right. Something about moving my hand inward toward my chest is difficult for me. I have practiced the motion a lot, and I still mess it up.

God, I love you Karsticles.

I also tell my friends that it would take SF to the next step when it came to movement, but they were against it. ;_;
<3

I don't see how anyone can be against the option, at least.

Walkspeed pls in my SFV. People are jumping all over the place just to get in.

Yup.

Wouldn't this be solved by making it so that counterhit throws can't be broken? From what you described, it sounds like it's inputting the throw break input during the startup of the attack, so that should work. You could also extend that rule to some number of frames after a throw break input (basically adding Throw Reject Miss as a rule).

With the other changes to jabs and shorts, I also suspect that the jab/throw break OS is less of an issue than it was in SF4.

The actual solution is requiring you to stand to tech throws.

Actually, let me rephrase what I said:

I'm OK with late teching being a thing. But there needs to be a penalty of some kind.

In Yatagarasu a throw tech leaves you at a neutral state, but a -late- tech leaves you at disadvantage, similar to Soul Calibur 5 (without the tiny bit of damage). Also that game has a UOH you can easily combo off of, so anyone crouch teching too much -in any way- will get blown up with a simple mixup, no super-tight frame trap timing required.

Since SFV doesn't have a UOH (so far), there needs to be something there to even out the "advantage" that a late tech can give, or they need to remove late teching entirely. Make it a 4f or 5f window and that's it.

We could have it like VSav where teching Zabel's kick throw leaves Zabel at +11 :>

Thinking about V-Trigger as a mechanic makes me think that certain characters from SF have a good chance of returning.

Like, if Juri returned, her V-Trigger would probably be Feng Shui Engine/ultra 1. Likewise with Q, maybe his V-Trigger could be a take on his Super 3 from Third Strike.

Ah, the possibilities.

Man, nothing but the scummiest shit for you huh

If you look at things VSav characters have, pretty much everyone has something completely silly like that.
Buttons with ridiculous frame advantages (Felicia can OS throw with a button that's +11 on block and catches jump outs for example, and she's isn't even top tier), BB Hood has an aerial mid that freezes your block so you may have to block low while she's in the air (high-mid(freeze)-low you can't block or normal high/high air string), there are hits in things that are randomly unblockable (Zabel's meaty j.lk is certainly the most useful one but not the only one), and so on. It's a really dirty game.

Everyone is different. I can see why it would be reverse on a pad, and I kind of agree. That's why there should be an option for both. Let people use what they are comfortable with. Personally, I have trouble double tapping to the right. Something about moving my hand inward toward my chest is difficult for me. I have practiced the motion a lot, and I still mess it up.

<3

I don't see how anyone can be against the option, at least.

Options are cool for both to me. I would never want it just 2 buttons though. That's tough with a 6 button game on a pad for me. I have trouble using the L shoulder buttons, so even binding it would suck. With stick I can handle both ways.

Kimosabae

Banned
I don't mind two button dashes in SF because I like that small burden of execution playing a role in footsies (assuming the SF game has good dashes like SF3 or Alpha). Being able to perform dashes off the cuff at any moment kinda diminishes the skill involved in that aspect of the game. It's fine in a game like Marvel since there's so many different ways to separate yourself from the next player, skill-wise, but in a game like SF, KOF or GG (Runs in the latter cases), I prefer the double input, since those games tend to be (slightly) slower paced. A 3-frame buffer similar to Xrd's I find perfect.

Essay

My main pet peeve with button dashing: When the input overlaps with defensive techniques and other things, producing ugly/"inexplicable" dashes in real matches.

For example, if dashing was to be tied to Punches in SFV, an Alpha Counter (f+PPP) input late would produce a dash.

In Guilty Gear at least, there are scenarios where the attacker will use a low-blockstun move and time a late frame-trap off of it, expecting the opponent to fail the instant-Alpha Counter in that window and get a normal's startup instead. If this approach was to produce a Street Fighter dash instead, the attacker wouldn't even have to frame trap, but rather could just confirm the whiffed dash and punish with their max-damage opener.

What would that add to the game, other than a lazy opportunity for a max-damage punish, a saltier defender, and questions from newer viewers who can't wrap their heads around why the second player would just "randomly" dash forward in pressure?

Button dashing fits fine in Marvel, imo. Wave-dashing and plink dashing is it's own thing, and stuff like OS'ing throws with movement makes sense in a game that hectic. It's a feature. I take a bit more of an issue with it in Skullgirls, where it was only included as an execution aid and for the (one?) character that plink-dashes as a Marvel homage, but at least backdashes from failed push blocks usually only get punished hard in the corner. In Street Fighter, with how much of a commitment dashes are, the idea of more accidental dashes makes me shudder.

That said, I'm really good with a stick and take a lot of pleasure out of high-stick motion games, so I'm biased. (I even do all my airdashes using stick motions with Ms. Fortune in SG.)

hitsugi

Last day to spend on the SFV cabinets D: already played everything else I was interested in. Mainly going to see if Ryu or Cammy have anything more interesting than what we've seen thus far.

Kimosabae

Banned
Last day to spend on the SFV cabinets D: already played everything else I was interested in. Mainly going to see if Ryu or Cammy have anything more interesting than what we've seen thus far.

Ryu and Cammy were the real downers for me. In fact, I'm less excited about the game overall after yesterday. Could easily be because people don't know how to play yet, but outside Justin's Bison and Xian's Nash, the game doesn't look very fun atm. It's heading in the right direction though.

vulva

Damage has been done.

Lets just hope HVS and Other Ocean go out of business. Those games and their histories are beyond any level of acceptability.

Personally I'd rather them learn how to become better studios and get their projects out properly than to wish people lose their jobs. That's just me though.

BadWolf

Ryu and Cammy were the real downers for me. In fact, I'm less excited about the game overall after yesterday. Could easily be because people don't know how to play yet, but outside Justin's Bison and Xian's Nash, the game doesn't look very fun atm. It's heading in the right direction though.

Ryu definitely needs something more, he feels underdeveloped compared to the others.

Horseress

The only thing Ryu doesn't have that his SFIV incarnation has is the focus. People are just not doing more complex combos or using different things, for obvious reasons.

Cammy tho....she needs some SERIOUS work. Her V-trigger is terrible, by far the worst so far. It's a timer and each special she does consumes ~40% of it

zoutlaw

Banned
July beta is exclusive to PS4.
The fall beta will be for both.

Wait. There's two betas that aren't just PS4 first, then PC later?

If that's the case I think we can all kiss goodbye the idea of any other characters in the upcoming beta.

We'll test what's here now and the netcode, then the second wave beta will add more characters, balance changes to the originals, and improved net code options.

BadWolf

Right now Birdie felt the least developed to me. Ryu felt pretty complete and viable as a final release character.

How so?

His normals seemed great, lots of ways to grab people and deal with projectiles, great combos and damage with quick and safe hit confirms, power up and armor moves, psuedo projectiles like that beverage can, banana etc.

Easily seemed like one of the better characters so far.

prolly not gonna do it for plot reasons but we need a Ryu with Oro moves eventually!

Don't think any of his moves would fit Ryu >_>

vulva

How so?

His normals seemed great, lots of ways to grab people and deal with projectiles, great combos and damage with quick and safe hit confirms, power up and armor moves, psuedo projectiles like that beverage can, banana etc.

Easily seemed like one of the better characters so far.

a lot of times when trying to defend against him some of my pokes would go right through his normals and even if they were long ranged pokes, he would land the hit without taking damage or trading.

Infinite

The game still got a year to go. Hopefully all your complaints and concerns will be addressed by the time it comes out but I see where you coming from. The game somehow to me felt figured out already which indicates how bare bones the system and characters are right. Once again though it's an early build of the game

BadWolf

a lot of times when trying to defend against him some of my pokes would go right through his normals and even if they were long ranged pokes, he would land the hit without taking damage or trading.

I was referring to the tools/moves the characters had access to currently, not how finished they were on the technical side (it is an unfinished game after all).

The only thing Ryu doesn't have that his SFIV incarnation has is the focus. People are just not doing more complex combos or using different things, for obvious reasons.

Cammy tho....she needs some SERIOUS work. Her V-trigger is terrible, by far the worst so far. It's a timer and each special she does consumes ~40% of it

Nerdjosh made her sound like she was pretty good and thinks she had potential. He said that the V-trigger made her specials safe and the fact that she can crossover with them gave her some tricky mixup. Basically from the sound of it, when she activates she can get a good and rather safe opportunity to open the other person up. If the mode was on only a timer, I think it sounds potentially too good because it would give her multiple mixup opportunities in a timeframe, which seems like something they want to avoid.

Top Bottom