• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | June 30 - July 6 | Judge, Juri & EGsecutioner

El Sloth

Banned
Yeah, that part about all switching to Yun (except Daigo who would counterpick to boxer) made me laugh. Can't really blame them for feeling that way. When there's more on the line it makes sense you'd pick the safest bet.

I hope 4Gamer does more stuff like this in the future. It was a really fun read. Reminded me a little of the developer roundtables that Iwata and Nintendo does.

I kinda wish Hugo's f+HP went through fireballs completely. I don't know what else to use that move for because it's so slow in startup and recovery and even whiffs on crouching opponents.
So far the only uses I've come up for it (since I haven't really found an opportunity to use it in a real match) are maybe people trying to jump back on wakeup or people jumping back in the corner, but then why not use lk backbreaker which starts up faster or ex backbreaker which does more damage and won't get stuffed? Only advantages f.hp seems to have is it's 200 stun and hard knockdown on aerial hits.

I guess in certain situations it would be the "safer" option versus accidentally whiffing backbreaker. I haven't tested it yet, but maybe it could catch backdashes on wakeup?

I sort of wish it hard armor like regular stand hp.

Gambit61

Wesker is mostly just different.

Haggar had his assist nerfed hard, but was made a better point character.

Doom was buffed.

Akuma was buffed.

Wolverine was significantly nerfed via Berserker Slash changes and his new move.

Dante was nerfed considerably in both damage and utility.

None of them got it as bad as She-Hulk and Tron, but "basically the same" isn't fair, either.

Fair enough. I'm just an old bitter marvel player lol.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Does anyone know if Sako is going to EVO? He dominated Capcom Cup pretty hard with Evil Ryu before Ultra and might be the greatest threat this year...

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
Yes, he's going.

Team EG might be the only ones with a solid chance of making it into Top 8 for Ultra at EVO... Unless an upset happens and Smug has golden boogers.
Aka, going super sayian.
It's gonna be an all Japanese Top 8 at this point.

Team EG might be the only ones with a solid chance of making it into Top 8 for Ultra at EVO... Unless an upset happens and Smug has golden boogers.
Aka, going super sayian.
It's gonna be an all Japanese Top 8 at this point.

I actually think this is America's best chance at winning street fighter 4 since 2010

Rhapsody

Banned
I still like Sako's Evil Ryu more at the moment than Daigo's. Sako being able to land that cr.MK into LK Axe Kick FADC combo consistently is so good.

Daigo does it sometimes, but rarely ever. Usually does the Hadouken variant which isn't great at max range of cr. MK and you lose out on damage, especially if they got hit crouching and you were at max range.

ElTopo

Banned
Since I'm waiting for the Steam version (good job Capcom) I figure I'll ask this: what makes Evil Ryu so much better than the original? Just more damage and stun, better fireball game, Raging Demon so gdlk?

Also, since I haven't played SF4 since Vanilla (And I'm also going to wait for feedback on the Steam version and its netcode) I'm thinking of picking it back up but I'm looking into characters that can (A) go through or severely punish fireball zoning without the use of an Ultra or (B) is very fast and has a good command grab.

I'm thinking of picking up either: T.Hawk, Makoto, Yun, and possibly Gouken even though he isn't great at bypassing fireballs but it's an option he has. Seth's low health is a turn off and he has too many moves for me.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I actually think this is America's best chance at winning street fighter 4 since 2010

I think I understand where you're going with this. Its a new iteration of the game so America might have something under its sleeves or its actually really good. EVO has a lot of upsets so we'll see come Sunday next week. Will there be an IRC where we'll all talk or just stay on the thread?

I still like Sako's Evil Ryu more at the moment than Daigo's. Sako being able to land that cr.MK into LK Axe Kick FADC combo consistently is so good.

Daigo does it sometimes, but rarely ever. Usually does the Hadouken variant which isn't great at max range of cr. MK and you lose out on damage, especially if they got hit crouching and you were at max range.

Yeah, I haven't seen Daigo's E. Ryu but Sako pretty much plays the character to the best of his abilities. Also, Sako's whiff punishes are godlike, gets full combos on them. Chris G was the only one who gave Sako trouble, after that, he wiped through the competition, even GF's.

Since I'm waiting for the Steam version (good job Capcom) I figure I'll ask this: what makes Evil Ryu so much better than the original? Just more damage and stun, better fireball game, Raging Demon so gdlk?

Also, since I haven't played SF4 since Vanilla (And I'm also going to wait for feedback on the Steam version and its netcode) I'm thinking of picking it back up but I'm looking into characters that can (A) go through or severely punish fireball zoning without the use of an Ultra or (B) is very fast and has a good command grab.

I'm thinking of picking up either: T.Hawk, Makoto, Yun, and possibly Gouken even though he isn't great at bypassing fireballs but it's an option he has. Seth's low health is a turn off and he has too many moves for me.

I think Evil Ryu got a health and damage buff. Since he combo's can be extended by quite a bit like Akuma's but doesn't have the same bad health, he can last in a match AND dish out the pain. He probably got some other buffs too, you can look up the E. Ryu video change on CapcomFighters on YouTube for the basic changes or find the exact change list for him on Google.

Daigo: What I really want to say is that Ryu has been unfairly treated among all the shotos. He is affected greatly by delay standing, and his firepower is very low. I don't really care because I don't use him any longer, but because there are many people that still use Ryu, I will speak on their behalf. From the very beginning, there are too many moves designed specially to counter Ryu!

haha Daigo going all Sanford in the interview. Just so everyone know, DAIGO DON'T CARE or USE RYU anymore!

Evil Ryu has:
High health.
High meterless damage.
Shoto moveset.

I don't think any other character has all three of those.

Ryu and Akuma do pretty good meterless damage if they get punishes off. It's just Evil deals even more by a good margin. And absurd stun output as well.

The range+ true string on cr.mk is really boss. Fast walk speed and insane kara potential too.

I'm surprised they didn't nerf Deejay's health down to 700 and when he gets hit too many times his dreadlocks start to become undone and he deals less damage because he can't handle the stress and he doesn't have a joint nearby.

or maybe he could have a joint that starts in middle of the stage kinda like how Cody has a knife in the middle, then when he picks it up, his stamina increases to 1500 and he deals 50% extra damage but he moves in slow motion and plays like he's in red bar connection

Dahbomb

Weird how two of my main characters that basically no one used were nerfed yet the rest of the cast was left alone.
A ton of people actually used She Hulk and Tron in Vanilla.

There were plenty of nerfs made in UMVC3 most of them were fairly legitimate.

Wesker was nerfed. Losing invincibility and big damage on his Rhino Charge counter made that move 100% unusable on top of air X factor being implemented as a system mechanic. In addition to his health nerf, he got his full screen gun shot hit confirm taken away which made him a huge threat. The buffs he got didn't make up for these nerfs so overall he was a weaker character in UMVC3 than Vanilla.

Dante might have been the most nerfed character. He went from being the best character (minus Phoenix) to being just a High tier character that went from being a point + support to mostly a support. The damage/meter gain nerfs on him were just as was the Hammer change but the hit stun and hitbox changes on his normals were gross especially when they introduced a character like Vergil into the game.

Magneto was nerfed. He actually got slower in speed and him being an air dash character made him not be able to block on air dash due to system mechanics change. His Disruptor got nerfed, it has much less block stun now. His combos used to be even longer. He also had the invincibility on his Magnetic Shockwace removed (it used to be similar to Morrigan's Shadow Servant super). He still managed to be a top tier character but overall he was definitely nerfed from Vanilla.

Wolverine was nerfed. Berserker Slash got its invincibility removed which made it go from a broken move to just a very strong move. His dive kick hit box was nerfed meaning its harder to make it cross up now. His j.L hitbox was nerfed which made it harder to do double overheads with it (ie. mash it out while calling Tatsu). His Drill Claw doesn't hit two enemies any more, a significant nerf to his happy birthday combos. Also Swiss Cheese was a nerf to certain playstyle where players just mashed Wolverines very powerful lights on offense.

Phoenix was nerfed hard. System mechanics messed her up the most especially the new TAC system, introduction of meter stealing moves and lowered overall meter gain. On point she is unable to use her Salty Balls to keep enemies out indefinitely (which should've happened of course because that tactic was really stupid). She went from being the best anchor to now being an unreliable anchor in the face of Vergil and Strider.

Akuma and Haggar had their top tier assists nerfed big time but they got buffed as points which were all very good changes. It's sad that Tron got both point and assist nerfs though... what happened to them both was unjust for sure.

Doom, Zero and Viper were actually super buffed. These characters got buffed because not many people were playing and winning with them. None of them needed buffs.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I'm surprised they didn't nerf Deejay's health down to 700 and when he gets hit too many times his dreadlocks start to become undone and he deals less damage because he can't handle the stress and he doesn't have a joint nearby.

or maybe he could have a joint that starts in middle of the stage kinda like how Cody has a knife in the middle, then when he picks it up, his stamina increases to 1500 and he deals 50% extra damage but he moves in slow motion and plays like he's in red bar connection

Count, I'm starting to get scared. You won't stop talking about Deejay to the point where you are hallucinating about unrealistic buffs. We're here for you, GAF is the intervention that you need! Deckard, spout some crap about Deejay so Count can finally see the light and pick up Yun.

Westlo

Yeah, this is pretty much how Capcom balances their games. It has very little to do with actual character strength.

I agree with the theory on how Capcom balances, but Daigo saying that no one showed off the power of Cammy and Fei Long is flat out bullshit. FFS he only just recently won his first Topanga league because Xiao Hai outsmarted himself and didn't use Cammy in his first two matches. Xiao Hai, Canada Cup winner (beating Bonchan), 4th Place Evo 2012 (eliminating Daigo) and second in Topanga World League, yeah noone showed how strong Cammy was at all.
dahell2.png

God damn though @ the confirmation of Xiao Hai playing Yun.... Yun main with Cammy as his alt... gg Evo.... Xiao Hai vs Kazu finals.

Everyone thought the health buff was completely stupid when they did it alongside all the other buffs, and lo and behold, it was.

I honestly can't believe that health buffed stayed from 1.0 to 1.1. It was clear Evil Ryu was a better character than they thought, since so many minor buffs made him "top tier", should've been obvious reverting his health back to 900 would've made him better balanced... I mean it's not like they didn't revert previous changes... Ken c.mk, Ken sweep, Sim st mk (or whatever it was), Juri c.mk etc.....

But than again they buffed Yun in 1.1 after 1.0 so who knows what the fuck they were thinking.

Count, I'm starting to get scared. You won't stop talking about Deejay to the point where you are hallucinating about unrealistic buffs. We're here for you, GAF is the intervention that you need! Deckard, spout some crap about Deejay so Count can finally see the light and pick up Yun.

my pocket yun dawg

hav u seen my pokkit yun?

I agree with the theory on how Capcom balances, but Daigo saying that no one showed off the power of Cammy and Fei Long is flat out bullshit. FFS he only just recently won his first Topanga league because Xiao Hai outsmarted himself and didn't use Cammy in his first two matches. Xiao Hai, Canada Cup winner (beating Bonchan), 4th Place Evo 2012 (eliminating Daigo) and second in Topanga World League, yeah noone showed how strong Cammy was at all.
dahell2.png

So you agree that Cammy should have been nerfed harder? Cool

Westlo

So you agree that Cammy should have been nerfed harder? Cool

She got nerfed enough, Daigo pushing a Cammy is 2nd strongest agenda doesn't change that. He says shit that suits him, like bringing up Gunslinger Stratos. I really hope they stop pretending Akuma is mid tier and Cammy is 2nd when Infiltration and Tokido are still winning tournaments in 2 years time and no top player uses Cammy.

I love how Evo has grown from just a community event to a place where the community and developers come together about fighting games.

Dahbomb

Akuma is a FAIR AND BALANCED character!

Tokido actually does feel that Akuma is merely the 3rd strongest shoto (Evil Ryu and Ken being better than him).

I'm honestly kind of surprised about some things that Daigo says about Evil Ryu's match ups. A few days ago he mentioned Guile as a problem for Evil Ryu, now he makes it seem as Rufus is a problem for Evil Ryu. But anyways I'm glad to know that he's sticking with Evil Ryu till the end, I want to see how he does in every situation with the character instead of running back to Ryu or someone else who may have it slightly better in a certain match up.

As for the health buff, it helps but Evil Ryu is honestly not that good. He still has plenty of tough match ups and though I still think he's top 10, I think he's at the bottom of the top 10 and not a contender for best in the game like Yun is.

Anyways I read that entire article and it was very fun to read. It was really interesting to read their opinions about such a wide variety of subjects like the games balance and tournament scene. I'd love to see a US or English speaking version of this some day. And if that 100 million yen(about 1 million US dollars) tournament ever happens, make it Edition Select so we can throw out all the trash characters and everybody has to pick broken tier characters only.

Kadey

Mrs. Harvey
It's because everyone had the day off on Friday.

Not the pizza place where I ordered from.

Everybody is watching soccer and I don't care since Team U.S is out. Maybe I should do some more stuff. Ran out of ideas no thanks to Q.

Sayah

Not the pizza place where I ordered from.

Everybody is watching soccer and I don't care since Team U.S is out. Maybe I should do some more stuff. Ran out of ideas no thanks to Q.

Pizza employees are probably getting overtime and making good money, haha.

Meanwhile, I have been addicted to TTT2 and have been playing that my entire time off.

Akuma is a FAIR AND BALANCED character!

Tokido actually does feel that Akuma is merely the 3rd strongest shoto (Evil Ryu and Ken being better than him).

I think Akuma is fair now. He's still good, but I don't think he got better in USF4(with DWU in place now) and I don't think he's top 5 in the game either. DWU hurt him more than any other vortex character and that was a big reason why he was so good. His tool set and footsies are good enough though to make him capable of winning tournaments and keeping him in the upper echelon of characters.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
I think Akuma is fair now. He's still good, but I don't think he got better in USF4(with DWU in place now) and I don't think he's top 5 in the game either. DWU hurt him more than any other vortex character and that was a big reason why he was so good. His tool set and footsies are good enough though to make him capable of winning tournaments and keeping him in the upper echelon of characters.

You play PC Rice? I wanna get some experience with a good blanka player. All the ones I play do the same thing (crouching fierce) or just get impatient and ball me.

what time is curleh?

I heard 5 pm pst/8 pm est kimo

Top Bottom