• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | May 12-18 | The Bracket Racket

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
iCSpHORQmm0uH.gif

Week of May 12th to the 18th, 2014.

Fighting Games Weekly is the weekly discussion thread for all things fighting games. News, events, streams, videos, players, drama, everything fighting game related.

Don't know what to watch right now? Check the FGCPros Twitch Group or Jaxel's Stream Viewer. If you want to watch multiple streams at once, you can use Jaxel's customizable multiviewer as well.

New to FGC-GAF is the FGC-GAF Index which lists the fighting games GAFers plays as a neat reference with some rough statistics to boot. To add yourself to the index, quote this post and use the survey link below. Please remember to save/bookmark the "Edit your response" link so you can edit your responses if/when you buy a game already on the list or a new game that releases in the future.

Last week's thread. An archive of previous FGW threads is available here.​

ibsB0URLCQgTBQ.jpg

Toryuken 3 [ Stream 2 ] [ Friday ] [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
Republic of Fighters 3 [ Saturday ] [ 10AM CEST | 4AM EDT | 1AM PDT ]

iUtpKu5GLNKRB.jpg

ijFe07BgjXAfD.jpg

Every week, FGW will spotlight one GAFer to get a better picture of their history with fighting games, their preferences, and much more. For this week's FGW Player Spotlight, we will be taking a closer look at our native Stanley Whitefin, DiscoShark!

What fighting games do you currently play, what are your all time favourites and why?
Currently all I'm playing these days is Skullgirls. I took a break for a while between the release of Squigly and Big Band but it definitely feels nice to jump back into the fold and mess around with the game's newly released characters.

My all time favorites would probably include games like Tatsunoko vs Capcom and Skullgirls with the occasional sprinkling of Vampire Savior for good measure. TvC was my first real exposure to traditional Capcom style 2D fighters and would eventually lead me to playing everything else and despite some quirks with the Bursting system was a well built and mechanically sound fighting game. Shame it was doomed to be only ported to the Wii.

Skullgirls is obvious. MikeZ is an incredibly competent developer who has gone above and beyond to create a game that is not only an absolute blast to play but actively goes about trying to question old design practices and fix them in an age where fighting game tournaments are increasing in popularity. Tournament mode has a forced button check at the start screen, Training mode has been revamped to show frame data and exactly when and where a move starts active and invincible frames along with the addition of save states and the like, you need to HOLD start for a certain amount of time during a match in order for a pause to occur. I could go on ...

And Vsav has like ... the perfect pacing in a fighting game. Despite having a tendency to play more combo oriented fighters I really dislike being stuck with nothing to do for long periods of time, in Vsav your mistakes were capitalized on by your opponent in combos that would generally take less than a second to complete. It was a game that immediately put you back into the action as soon as possible and the matches themselves were all super fast as a result. The Vampire Savior round system (that Skullgirls recently introduced for 1v1 fights) also had a lot to do with keeping the match progressing from start to finish without a break.
What are your favorite mechanics from the current selection of fighting games and why? What are your least favorite and why?
Favorite - Baroque from TvC, one of the best risk/reward mechanics I've ever come across in a fighting game. One had the opportunity to sacrifice all of one's recoverable red life in order to do a cancel that filled you with the power of rainbows and modified the damage of the remaining combo based on the amount of red life you sacrificed. There was this in game interplay between saving it for a tag to get some of it back or blowing it all to attempt to kill off your opponent's character / keep yourself safe after doing an unsafe special move. Dropping the combo after Baroque's activation would also kill the damage increasing effects. How you could go from that to something like X-Factor I'll have no idea but it was a mechanic that definitely made TvC stand out for me.

Least favorite - Just Frames in 3D fighters. I really dislike the idea of having an execution barrier on what amounts to a character's basic moveset and the emphasis and advantages that come with using these moves make it so that there are certain characters in these fighters where you're going to need to learn the Just Frames in order to be maximally effective with them. It's the wrong approach to fighting games as a whole and it's really part of my larger issue with needless execution barriers in popular fighting games today. You just unnecessarily create more hurdles between newer and more veteran players in a genre that should be about learning, reacting, and reading your opponent rather than fighting the mechanics of the game. I'd argue that really difficult links (and Vampire Savior's ridiculously stupid pushblocking system) are just as unnecessarily limiting in other games as well.
What got you into fighting games? Are there any other genre of games you play?
Super Smash Brothers Brawl was my gateway drug, from there I branched out to TvC and to eventually fighters that would appear on the PS3.

I don't know if “indie” is a genre but I find myself playing a lot of the smaller, more popular indie releases on Steam. If I'm not playing Skullgirls it's usually Faster Than Light : Advanced Edition or Recettear. I'm really looking forward to Transistor's eventual release as well.
What is your favorite fighting game character and why?
Dormammu from MvC3, from the moment I heard him say “Run … Run!” on the reveal trailer I was hooked. Super interesting zoning style of play, love the charge up “Power of the power of the …” and the utility of the Floating Bomb super just made him an absolute blast to play.
Describe your style of play, and how do you play (local, online, etc.).
It's really dependent on the game that I'm playing and even then there's a lot of variance for me. Vs style Capcom games have me pushing towards zoning types, Arc Sys fighters I'll play the Grappler (Love Potemkin and Tager), and in the more footsies based fighters I'll tend to stick on the more overall jack of all trades type of character. If it's Skullgirls it's random select. :p

In any instance it's usually online though.
What do you feel are your biggest strengths and weaknesses as a player?
I think I have a tendency of shying away from really difficult competition or anyone that I perceive as being super difficult. It's totally a bad habit and probably ends up stunting my development as a player once I plateau at a certain point.
Best and worst moments in the your fighting game career?
… nothing comes to mind! I just play the games in the comfort of my home in most cases, may have something to do with the whole shying away from competition thing though.
What do you want from future fighting games?
A more competent ranking and matchmaking system first and foremost. If there was a way to better quantify what a player is doing and sorting them based on those qualities (rather than just win/loss) then I'd love to see something like Starcraft 2's Bronze League → Silver → Diamond → Master/Grandmaster progression system and having players only play people that have achieved their level of skill in a ranked match environment.

More PC support goes without saying I think, especially with next gen consoles all paywalling online multiplayer. I think a more significant push to break into the PC arena is going to be a healthy thing for fighting games as a whole. We're seeing promising things from titles coming from smaller developers (Yatagarasu, Skullgirls) and larger ones (Capcom with Street Fighter and Namco with Naruto) and I'd like to see more of it.

... and GGPO/Rollback style netcode. 'Nuff said.
Who should be on next week's GAF Player Spotlight?
More SG-gaf representation! Nominating Beats.

iknYm15Cbb3g4.jpg

Super Desperation Radio [ 9:30PM EDT | 6:30 PDT ]
  • Hellpockets and various other members of the KoF community discuss KoF and happenings in the FGC.
Gootecks & Mike Ross Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of Cross Counter Live rises a new discussion show from Gootecks and Mike Ross!
Marvel Mondays [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Out of the ashes of The BOX Arena, comes the San Diego FGC's newest organized weekly for UMvC3.
UltraChenTV: First Attack & Lv3 Focus [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.

i05jU9MTJVOrL.jpg

Kachitagari TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Bon-chan, Kazunoko and Fuudo's new show, focusing primarily on SSFIV AE ranked matches but is branching off into other games as well.
NYC VF [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • NYC VF crew presents VF5:FS tournaments casuals out of The Next Level arcade in Brooklyn.
The Break Weekly [ 8PM EDT | 5PM PDT ]
  • New Jersey's largest weekly featuring UMvC3 and Injustice.
The On Blast Show [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • JamessMK & DarKNaTaS host a raw and uncut weekly talk show discussing events in the FGC with various FGC personalities.
UltraChenTV: The Tuesday Show [ 11:30PM EDT | 8:30PM PDT ]
  • Weekly FGC show dedicated to match analysis, teaching, commentary, news, debates, and more! Hosted by UltraDavid and James Chen.
The Show That Sucks [ 1AM EDT (following day) | 10PM PDT ]
  • iPlaywinner hosts a weekly talk show featuring alpha stream monsters Harrison and Honzo Gonzo.

ibeoCQqpoXTtfu.jpg

Game Spot Versus KoF Casuals (JP) [ 7PM JST | 6AM EDT | 3AM PDT ]
  • KoF 1998UM, KoF 2002UM and KoF XIII C action from Japan.
TOPANGA TV (JP) [ 9PM JST | 8AM EDT | 5AM PDT ]
  • Description needed.
Next Level Battle Circuit [ 8PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • NYC's biggest weekly at The Next Level Arcade in Brooklyn featuring SSFIV AE, UMvC3 and TTT2. If the Teamsp00ky link is not working, it is likely on the backup stream on Arturo's channel.
Wednesday Night Fights [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

ibuSEViyvaW6s2.jpg

Melee It On Me [ 9PM EDT | 6PM PDT ]
  • A bi-weekly Smash podcast discussing recent events, news and issues in the Smash community, hosted by Scar, Prog, Cactuar and Sheridan.
Ghost Battle Series [ 9PM CST | 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • Galloping Ghost Arcade presents an Injustice weekly out of Chicago.
The Fray [ 10PM EDT | 7PM PDT ]
  • A weekly FGC talk show hosted by iPlaywinner, featuring a varying, ensemble cast of prominent members of the fighting game community.
ATP LIVE! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • Aris' new weekly show, discussing whatever he wants to! The format resembles old ATP podcasts.
The Runback Season 4 [ 12AM EDT (following day) | 9PM PDT ]

iUsCIlMTxirgq.jpg

The Smash Break Bi-Weekly [ 6PM EDT | 3PM PDT ]
  • The Break hosts a new Melee bi-weekly to replace Rokunaya Bi-Weeklies which are ending.
KaoTV! (JP) [ 11PM JST | 10AM EDT | 7AM PDT ]
SALTY! [ 11PM EDT | 8PM PDT ]
  • A weekly Skullgirls event hosted by members of the Skullgirls development team, often featuring preview builds of the game.

iDFzpxKo67pi.jpg

Rebel Up [ Secondary ] [ 7PM EDT | 4PM PDT ]
  • Super Arcade's anime weekly, featuring GG, BB, P4A, SG, Gundam and older anime games as well.

ibviiDfGbYQe8.jpg

GGPO VanBats [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Weekly GGPO Vampire Savior ranbats streamed by GAFer Rotanibor.
Super Smash Sundays [ 4PM EDT | 1PM PDT ]
  • Level|Up and Team OXY partner up to create a new weekly for the SoCal Melee community, featuring doubles and singles.

ixwKqL3HDm2tG.jpg

On GAF we have various members that stream fighting games from time to time too. If you would like to add your channel to this thread, send me a PM.
Additionally, if you want to really get involved, you may want to check out the various OTs for specific games:
GAF isn't the only FG community in town though. Here are a whole bunch of other FG communities across the internet that may be of interest:
  • 8WayRun - Soul Calibur franchise community
  • DOACentral - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Dream Cancel - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more US-centric
  • Dustloop - Forums/community for Arc System Works-developed games
  • Eventhubs - Frequently updated news blog, resource and forums for all things fighting games
  • FreeStepDodge - Dead or Alive franchise community
  • Homing Cancel - Arcana Heart community
  • iPlaywinner - Large fighting game news site and resource, and the home to Teamsp00ky and iPlaywinner
  • Jet Upper - UK-centric news source and community
  • Mayonaka Midnight - Persona 4 Arena community and resource
  • Melty Bread - Melty Blood community
  • Mizuumi - A resource for various "poverty" games
  • Orochinagi - King of Fighters franchise community and resource, more EU-centric
  • Reddit Fighters t- Reddit's own fighting game community subreddit
  • Shoryuken - The largest FG community and multigame resource on the web, with a large Capcom games community
  • Skullheart - fan Skullgirls community and resource made official
  • TekkenZaibatsu - Tekken franchise community
  • Test Your Might - Mortal Kombat and Injustice community and resource
  • UKFGC - UK-centric news source and community
  • Smash Boards - The largest Smash Bros. Community™
  • VFDC - Virtua Fighter franchise community site

- - -

If you have any suggestions for the OP, please do not hesitate to post in this thread or PM me to let me know.

Whats up. I'm new, been reading in the shadows for a long time. Not sure if this is for the marvel specific thread or not, but does anyone play a nova/strange/vergil team?

Love the weekly thread especially during tournaments. Hilarity.

Horseress

this is the dead games weekly thread actually, you can see that we even have weekly interviews with dead games fans, specially in the past ones! very good interviews
very dead games

Brett Awesome

Neo Member
Weird schedule, 4G, so many great matches not streamed, the TO's bracket rigging leading to one of the people whose bracket was switched winning the tournament....

Yeah, ECT wasn't the best.

You could also add Republic of Fighters 3, the next MLG qualifier and the only European one, I guess :p

Edit: what were ECT results anyway

I totally understand your weakness, Disco. I pray to Jesus I don't have to fight an overwhelming opponent at tournaments (online or off). All bets are off on casuals unless I have to fight somebody like Dyne in VSav lol.

ECT was weird. There was no TTT2 but that was the players decision. Also the bracket change shenanigans, I don't want to diminish Ricky's winning but the bracket change is no good.

I did like the Moons vs Coach Steve set, the dog did work.

Rhapsody

Banned
Can anyone clarify the bracket rigging for me at ECT? What game, which players, and why they changed it?
So BBCP patch may be coming soon. Anyone excited?

Not too excited. It'll be nice dealing with a slightly weaker Kokonoe, but it doesn't change the game much for me.

People won't have to subject to my 1.0 Kokonoe much longer. :(
I'm excited my favorite character to get nerfed for no reason

lol poor Q

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
You could also add Republic of Fighters 3, the next MLG qualifier and the only European one, I guess :p

Edit: what were ECT results anyway
Details on the MLG event?

Considered adding Republic of Fighters, nobody cared last time though :|

I totally understand your weakness, Disco. I pray to Jesus I don't have to fight an overwhelming opponent at tournaments (online or off). All bets are off on casuals unless I have to fight somebody like Dyne in VSav lol.
SolarPowered lives :O

smurfx

get some go again
hey you aren't going to be getting xbox live again right? trying to make room on my friends list and i haven't seen you on in forever.

Whats the bracket change thing everyone is talking about? I missed it.
i think justin and ricky were supposed to play each other in top 8 but the brackets were changed before it started. it could have totally changed the outcome of top 8 too.

edit: my bad it was top 16.

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends

Top 16 for AE, Justin and Ricky were pretty damn close to each other in the bracket so they would duke it out early on. Apparently that wasn't good due to "entertainment" and LI Joe and SweetJohnnyCage took it upon themselves to fix that. They switched the players so Justin and Ricky wouldn't have to fight each other early on. Also, according to both of the players switched, they had no idea the switch had occur so they were safe from fire. People were complaining since the brackets were already made, why alter it mid tournament? The issue was addressed earlier on, don't have to quote on me...

Joe and Johnny are cool guys which was why it was surprising they would stoop down to this level. There is a bunch of fan theories that EG paid them out and what not but take it with a grain of salt. However, these theories don't change the fact that the bracket was rigged and TO's need to be called out on it, possibly have something revoked (god knows what since they are putting their heart and soul into these tournaments for practically nothing) or a ban of sorts.

So BBCP patch may be coming soon. Anyone excited?

Well I'm certainly looking forward to fighting a slightly less bs Kokonoe at least.

I'm excited my favorite character is getting nerfed for no reason

I have no idea what they even keep doing to Makoto. You'd think she'd only get buffs, but yeah.

I got lucky when it comes to nerfs, Mu's pretty much untouched, and while Bullet is still not that great at least she didn't get unnecessarily nerfed =.=

Brett Awesome

Neo Member
The brackets for top 32 were put out, showing that Justin and Ricky would have played each other if they made it to 16's. The TO switched Ricky with Lee Chung on the other side of the bracket, effectively robbing Smug of a top 8 spot and giving Ricky an easier route to eventually win. I say the TO done it himself because Justin denied all knowledge of it on twitter.

Top Bottom