• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Tournament Weekend: Dreamhack Austin [CPT Premier event] [04/28-04/30]

Wow, I didn't see Haitani winning this match. I thought Xian would take it kind of easily 3-1 and Punk would probably drop Haitaini 3-0 or 3-1 as well. But congrats to Haitani, his 2nd GF in a Premier event this year.

Ninjimbo

Haitani...wow. Looks like all that practice against those Japan Ibukis came into play. Sick ass EX DP in the second match to end it. That was straight knowledge.

Kumubou

This comes up every tournament. SFV will never reach the amount of entrants it had in the first year. People drop the game en masse and only the hardcore remain to jump back in every year. It'll happen with Tekken, it'll happen with Injustice, and it'll happen with Gundam.
Service-style games should be seeking growth right from launch -- it's a different scenario than a typical boxed, release-and-forget retail release and Capcom is absolutely failing to build any kind of momentum with all of the unforced errors and general neglect surrounding SF5.

Hell, majors were seeing growth in SF4 for years after the dip from the initial launch -- just because that's the pattern SF5 is following doesn't mean it has to do that.

jett

D-Member
Service-style games should be seeking growth right from launch -- it's a different scenario than a typical boxed, release-and-forget retail release and Capcom is absolutely failing to build any kind of momentum with all of the unforced errors and general neglect surrounding SF5.

Hell, majors were seeing growth in SF4 for years after the dip from the initial launch -- just because that's the pattern SF5 is following doesn't mean it has to do that.

It's honestly a completely different situation with SF4, since the entire scene grew along with it.

And SFV just had a whole slew of issue as you said.

I don't disagree that Capcom has fucked up the service-style stuff. They wanted to be service and "normal", and they couldn't pull that shit off at all.

But for fighting games, it's about retention and then momentum. You get a wave of people who want to be around for a few months that just drop the game. After you build a base, you grow. At least, that's the only way SFV is going to survive now.

And the past few months have been momentum building. A responsive patch that fixes balance issues (well, most of them..), a better CPT run, a new CFN (despite the goddamn delay), new characters, better communication, and more. Proof is in the pudding, so if that shit doesn't hold up they won't get that install base to grow (and stay). And Capcom is taking this way slower than a developer should. But it'll be a better look once the changes come.

Dahbomb

This has been some quality SF today with some great spacing, movement, footsies and whiff punishment all around. Remember when people said you can't whiff punish in SFV? Well no one remembers those folks either.

I guess people don't really get as excited about that anymore... they want the blow ups, the body bags and the tea bags.

Lulubop

LMAO

Punk is unreal, never seen someone dominate like he has the last 3 tourneys. So soon, he's like a Street Fighter savant

This has been some quality SF today with some great spacing, movement, footsies and whiff punishment all around.

I guess people don't really get as excited about that anymore... they want the blow ups, the body bags and the tea bags.

"I WANT FOOTIES IN SFV"
Here are footies
"I WANT BLOWUPS MEMES LULLLL"

Dahbomb

"You don't get it son.....

This isn't an arcade cabinet...

This is an operating table...

And I am the surgeon!"

punk.jpg

Syntsui

I can't remember the last time Xian was so free, this was by far his worst performance on stream. I'm in disbelief.

Top Bottom