• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy 15 Windows Demo now LIVE

Wunray

Didn't see a thread when I searched so just a PSA to let you guys know.

Steam Link: http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/671210/?utm_source=twitter_ffxven&utm_medium=tweet&utm_campaign=ffxvwindowseditionplayabledemogoeslivelink(steam)_photo__SQEXSOCIAL&utm_content=1519650530

Edit: Should make it clear the demo is about 20GB

Final-Fantasy-XV_PC-Spec.PNG

Apparently save data does not carry over.

Always wanted to say this........lock if old.

Edit: Check for driver updates from nvidia I believe one dropped earlier today?

Last edited:
Runs pretty well so far.

1440P @ highest settings gets me 70-80+ fps with a 1080ti. Yes, it's a powerful card, but that's a lot of crap to be running.

Edit: The filtering is ass in this. Hopefully, they support freestyle. That way, I don't have to wait for the reshade that I want.

Last edited:

Wunray

From what a I played it ran smoothly on a 1070 i57600k with 16gb ddr4 memory. Locked 60fps at the highest settings. Dithering on the hair is still in the game though.

Frostman

From what a I played it ran smoothly on a 1070 i57600k with 16gb ddr4 memory. Locked 60fps at the highest settings. Dithering on the hair is still in the game though.
Yeah, I know too some it’s minor, but I absolutely deteste the dithering.

JimboJones

Imagine someone buying it on DVD and then getting that 100GB download surprise.
You need to set the texture memory to high if you want to get rid of that texture streaming issue the consoles suffered with with but man, looking at it eat away at all your ram is insane lol.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I'm going to have to download this tonight to see how far I can push my new mid-range PC - cheers!

Frostman

Is that the screen filtering, what exactly is it meant to do?
I’m not on right now, but it was towards the bottom of the settings menu.

I honestly have no idea what it does, the descriptions aren’t very descriptive within the settings! But from what I could tell, it seemed to me like many post processing effects were ramped up the higher that setting is. Sharpening especially. Ever since lowering it, I have much less shimmering, due to the lower sharpening, and also it seems like a less ‘blurry’ IQ.

Some of that could be placebo, but I’m 99.9% sure that the IQ is less noisy.

Last edited:

JimboJones

I’m not on right now, but it was towards the bottom of the settings menu.

I honestly have no idea what it does, the descriptions aren’t very descriptive within the settings! But from what I could tell, it seemed to me like many post processing effects were ramped up the higher that setting is. Sharpening especially. Ever since lowering it, I have much less shimmering, due to the lower sharpening, and also it seems like a less ‘blurry’ IQ.

Some of that could be placebo, but I’m 99.9% sure that the IQ is less noisy.

Yeah that's the one, it didn't seem to affect performance but your probably right, it's most likely some post process filter of some kind.

There is also a graphics config tool in the tools folder when you go into the game files.

Wunray

Just finished the demo, got to say they have to optimize the turf effect that hits the fps hard. Also maybe it's just me but the skin shader? looks a bit off or maybe it has always been like that??

Another thing to note frame pacing is a bit wonky at 30 fps it seems.

Battlechili

Banned
Just finished it!
I actually liked it! Much more than I thought I would, and it seems to run okay on my 970. It doesn't run perfect, and neither is the game, but I still had some fun.

The combat feels sluggish and I like the idea of playing this game without a HUD, but as a result I can't really gauge how well I'm doing in a fight, and sometimes I'll find myself accidentally doing something I don't want to do and/or not being able to visually see when I should dodge, block, and parry. I imagine that's just me needing to git gud though.

The game is graphically pretty, especially when its raining, though I don't really understand why Tabata chose to start the game in an empty desert with you pushing a car. Its not a good way to show off the graphical fidelity at all, and its not an exciting way to start your game.

I like that there are a variety of weapon types you can equip that act in different ways. Magic especially feels really powerful and the fact that it affects the terrain is a nice touch. It took some time, but by the end of the demo the story also started to pick up. Noctis' plan to marry for the sake of the kingdom winding up being ruined by an imperial invasion with his father being killed left a lot of questions and grabbed my attention, and some of the music was really good! On the other hand though, this isn't Shimomura's best work and a lot of the tracks were also really meh and generic. I do like that you can cycle through old FF tracks while driving the Regalia though. Though regarding the Regalia, I didn't like that you couldn't really control where it went beyond what side of the road you were on.

All in all I enjoyed myself though! Looking forward to the full game!

NovumAngel

Banned
whats the point of vehicles if you're limited in freedom of movement? hopefully the mods fix this.
You are limited in movement at the beginning but there are a few vehicle mods in-game that you can get to let you drive off-road, etc.

Also for anyone interested in the "overall" story of the game, the end of this chapter is where you should probably pause it and go watch Kingsglaive as it's the same time frame.

bee

can't remember the exact settings but my 3570k/1080 runs it just fine at 4k for me with only turf effects enabled from the nvidia stuff, everything else on at least high barring shadows and filtering

must say having seen some screens with vxao enabled (same method as the benchmark, custom.ini) i think i'll have to enable that too, gonna pre order from greenman for £28 tonight

synce

Runs like shit on i5 4690k/ gtx 960 / 16gb ram with the latest drivers. Even on low preset @ 720p there's drops to 55fps, not to mention weird stutter glitches.

As far as the actual game is concerned, I'm disappointed to see it plays exactly like every other open world game. If you told me 20 years ago that FF, MGS, Tomb Raider, and Zelda would all be the same game one day...

i7 8700k/1080ti/16gb/1440p here. Highest settings. I didn't pay much attention to fps. But it seemed to stay above 80 fps most of the time. With a few hiccups here and there.

I think this one is a pass. I didn't like the character visuals and gameplay.

The minimum specs and DF video from before running more or less the specs I'm running (16GB RAM, 1060 6GB, and i5 6600) running everything maxed and maintaining 60fps made me happy. Means if/when I get around to it it won't run like crap or have to be turned down.

Salmon

Oh god! Tried the demo! Been waiting for the PC version since...forever. Tried it and my worst fears got realized. I used to give this game a hard time even before I tried it, and people said to my to shut the hell up. I tried it for about an hour, and I cringed through the whole thing. God, I'm way to old too old to stand this crap. Even the music is horrible, and "hip". No thank you!

*uninstalled*

Anyone using x360 gamepad with this game? I've got problem with mine as it only recognizes d-pad and buttons while analogs don't work.

JimboJones

Anyone using x360 gamepad with this game? I've got problem with mine as it only recognizes d-pad and buttons while analogs don't work.
Mines seemed to work fine, I'm using a wired controllers, maybe something to do with the steam overlay controller configure thing?

RedFox85

Not sure why but this ran like shit for me at any setting! I7 4790k 16gb ddr4 gtx 970. Everything was smooth up until it panned up to reveal "Final fantasy XV" then the game crashed, every attempt to restart the game from that point on resulted in 5fps every single time it got to the car cutscene, tried restarting PC, new save etc etc. This didn't inspire much confidence in the port for myself. I am also not a fan of ambiguous graphics settings.. tell us what the hell we are actually changing ffs.

Espada

Really shame the story is so crap. So dissapointed.
This game is thoroughly mediocre. It's pretty but that story, my goodness. It completely fails at even basic storytelling fundamentals. It's cool seeing how it looks on PC, but I doubt I'll be jumping back into the full release again.

On another note: The ambient occlusion is of a shockingly low resolution in this. It looks hideous.

Last edited:

Graven

Is anyone having some sort of graphical glitches specially near the gas station area right at the beginning? it's like the image keeps flickering, after some minutes playing it became less frequent, but it still happens. In the field though it happens way less.

lifa-cobex

Is anyone having some sort of graphical glitches specially near the gas station area right at the beginning? it's like the image keeps flickering, after some minutes playing it became less frequent, but it still happens. In the field though it happens way less.

Not that I've seen. Is it screen tearing or actual flickering?

Taggen86

Final fantasy XV pc in 4k/HDR is one of the best looking games I have ever played. FF is up there with ME:A and horizon. The difference between native 4k and the blurry 1800p checkboarding on ps4 pro is night and day (own the ps4 version as well). Here are my settings to achieve an almost locked 4k/60 on a 1080 Ti while not sacrificing graphics too much:

High-Quality Assets

Model LOD - High or medium

TRAM - Highest (This uses up to 8GB)

Geomapping - On or off (a performance hit, big quality increase for the ground)

Lighting high (highest has a very large performance hit)

Shadows - high

Ambient Occlusion - Average (cant see any difference between high and average)

Anti-aliasing - TAA

Motion Blur off

Filtering - Low (seems to add blur and DoF, low saves a lot of performance while providing a cleaner look)

Last edited:

Graven

Not that I've seen. Is it screen tearing or actual flickering?

It's more of a flickering, it's kinda hard to fully describe because this is something completely unusual, don't recall seeing it in any other game. It's not screen tearing or anything v-sync related. It's like the graphics suddenly pop up on the screen, it's very fast. I will toy with some options more in depth once i have more time to do so, or maybe it will go away when i play i again(i actually had issues starting this game, on few occasions the screen would go black and i had to end the game via task manager).

mango drank

GTX 1070, i5 8600K, 32 gb ddr4: runs fine, looks great.

But wow, what a trainwreck otherwise. The dialogue is awful beyond description. I've been saying it for a while: FF needs to be passed on to completely different developers, let someone else get a completely different take on it, instead of putting a fresh coat of paint on the same old awkward cringe-y animu garbage. This series could be so much more.

Soltype

GTX 1070, i5 8600K, 32 gb ddr4: runs fine, looks great.

But wow, what a trainwreck otherwise. The dialogue is awful beyond description. I've been saying it for a while: FF needs to be passed on to completely different developers, let someone else get a completely different take on it, instead of putting a fresh coat of paint on the same old awkward cringe-y animu garbage. This series could be so much more.

They did and it turned out to be the best FF game since they left the SNES.

Final_Fantasy_XII_Box_Art.png

Top Bottom