• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Five Four Job Fiesta 2016: Upgrade to a Better You

Jucksalbe

Banned
Did you get the flame shield in the forest, or flame rings? If so you might be able to solo it with mystic knight by using that and weaking the fire crystal so it uses fire spells to heal you while you pick off the other ones.
I don't think I saved after the fire, so I should still be able to get the flame shield. I'll try that tomorrow. Thanks!

AxelRyman

Neo Member
I've never gone after the superbosses before. Are there parties that won't be able to defeat them? I was reading some strategies online and they won't apply to my party. .

In the case of Omega, a number of classes can't get through his insane defense or bypass his evasion enough to be worth fighting. Mainly on their own merits, not with assistance from other classes. Shinryu can be beaten with pretty much any team, it's just somewhat stupid for some of them.

Regarding Omega...

Jump is going to be useful for you since it can bypass Omega's evasion. Defense on the other hand is going to require either Spellblade Thundaga, a Coral Sword, or Trident for that. Spellblade Thundaga will help with hitting for tons of damage but requires a turn to set it up. Jump without Spellblade or the equips above will deal no damage to him but allow you to actually dodge some of his attacks, which can be very helpful. With your team, only Dragoon and MK can effectively use Spellblade Jumps. Knight will need to use one or the other, or even Throw. For damage, use Spellblade and give him the Thief Knife. You'll have nearly a 50% chance of hitting Omega with a Knife, better than 3% using a Sword/Knightsword, and will probably hit for 9999 damage, if not over 6000 minimum.

Dragoon should equip Assassin's Dagger, MK should equip Chicken Knife. You'll want Hermes Sandals on your jumpers, while your non-jumpers(Ninja and maybe Knight in this case) to use Reflect Rings. Jumpers should just Jump to avoid as many of Omega's attacks as possible. You will want to have them tank the Wave Beam before Omega's double turn, and just jump the double turn to avoid disaster. Once they land, Spellblade them and jump again for some damage.

This is just on paper for the strategy, so I'm not sure how much it will actually work in practice. If you're on the Mobile or PC release of the game, don't bother with Omega then, just because they changed some of his mechanics when it comes to counters, which make him more annoying to deal with.

I abandoned this game for a few days after getting my ass handed to me by the first random encounter in the black and white tower. I'm afraid to go back in with my team.

Wish I had a better physical attacker.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
L+R = autowin :p

I'm pretty sure in all my 20 runs through this game I have never fought a single random encounter in Fork Tower.

That doesn't help against the melee boss though. That one is going to be rough. Forgot what your fourth job is but Black/White/Time are going to be effectively useless in there.

Well let me go find these elven mantles.

Edit: Just looked it up online. I can't buy any because Exdeath just sent each town that sold them into a black hole.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
They aren't sold, they were found in chests.

You can get them from Phoenix Tower, but it will be a HUGE pain because they are rare steals from Cheries. And you can only steal with the thief knife without the thief job, which is very unreliable.

You will basically need to either do that or pick up the chicken knife (and flee a ton to max out its power if it's low) and get rapid fire on your ranger. Without evasion or a way to kill Minotaur quickly, he would beat you pretty hard.

Personally I'd suggest the chicken knife combo. That will be absolutely deadly and be by far your most powerful damage output. Even without knowing your level it's a safe bet that it will be 5k+ a turn.

Boney

Banned
Well let me go find these elven mantles.

Edit: Just looked it up online. I can't buy any because Exdeath just sent each town that sold them into a black hole.
You didn't even get the one in Moogle Village? :/

Well, Rapid Fire with the Legendary Bow might also be enough and you won't have to grind for the Chicken knife which takes too much time if you haven't been running since the beginning. There's also a second Main Gauche that's in Moore I think, you might try with 3 party members for the physical side and rely on a reflect ring with the time Mage on the other side.

Yoichi Bow will be doing like 3k damage per turn considering the criticals so the chicken knife might not be necessary.

Easiest way to get AP fast is to go to the basement at Bal Castle and throw gold needles to the statue enemies. You'll definately want rapid fire there. You can also consider buying Hermes Sandles since you can't use the Elven Mantles.

Boney

Banned
That sounds like too much trouble. I think I'll just see if there's another dungeon I can do.
Your only other choice is the rift since pheonix tower blocks the other dungeons access.

How much AP do you have left for Rapid Fire (you need 350ap for it)? If you have the legendary weapon, bring the two black Mage's with main gauches and hopefully one Hermes sandals for the Ranger, it should be a piece of cake.

TRXG5kv.png
Where do I get a second Main Gauche from? The wiki says Karnak castle, but only the town exists where I am.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Grind for that 50 ABP, Rapid Fire will be a gamechanger for you.

Second Main Gauche is from a chest in Moore, right by where you get the Chicken Knife (which I'd still recommend, even if you need to grind to power it up, it's the strongest weapon in the game).

Beat Big Bridge Gilgamesh at level 12. Without Old and at a low level that fight can be such a challenge. Used almost all my phoenix downs since he spammed jump. Luckily he never targeted the hasted Berserker so he just kept hammering on while I struggled to keep the rest of my party up.

Thankfully W2 should be easy until from here to Exdeath.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Those are the only two then, the first one is in Karnak Castle. You have to get it while escaping.

Stupid me not saving. Running into a sandcrawler. Beat it, but I didn't want that exp :( Worst part is that it was one step in a partial desert tile. Terrrrible luck.

I just beat Minotaur. I didn't realize my white mage couldn't heal if I knew that I would've sent him to the magic side. Battle wasn't hard since I had rapid fire. It was funny. The boss was acting like it was going to wreck me with Holy, but then it said not enough MP and then he died.

Edit: Okay something weird just happened. After beating the Minotaur and then attempting to take the Black magic spell my game just went back to the start screen. WHY!?

eDIT 2: ah, I can't even go into the menu to equip reflect ring before the fight. I guess I got to go back and do the whole tower again just to beat this. This is really annoying.

Bigrx1

Banned
I've still never played this game because I've heard so much of how bad the story is and I'm a story guy. Should I give it a whirl? Is it that terrible? IV is my favorite followed by X then VII

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I've still never played this game because I've heard so much of how bad the story is and I'm a story guy. Should I give it a whirl? Is it that terrible? IV is my favorite followed by X then VII

The story is pretty cheesy and often doesn't take itself all that seriously. It's far from the worst RPG story (stuff like Bravely Default and FE Fates are much worse for example), but it's not a game you play for the story either. It's probably worse if you play the PS1 version instead of GBA/mobile/PC due to it having a really poor translation.

I just beat Minotaur. I didn't realize my white mage couldn't heal if I knew that I would've sent him to the magic side. Battle wasn't hard since I had rapid fire. It was funny. The boss was acting like it was going to wreck me with Holy, but then it said not enough MP and then he died.

Edit: Okay something weird just happened. After beating the Minotaur and then attempting to take the Black magic spell my game just went back to the start screen. WHY!?

eDIT 2: ah, I can't even go into the menu to equip reflect ring before the fight. I guess I got to go back and do the whole tower again just to beat this. This is really annoying.

The game is serious when it says "take them at the same time." Best bet is to prep for the fights before you walk up to the door at the top floor.

Boney

Banned
Where IV errs toward cheesiness and VII errs toward grim angstiness, V errs toward outright goofiness. Can't promise you'll love it, but it's not, like, actively bad if that's what you're worried about.
I'd actually rank it in the top spots since it's always moving forward and it doesn't provide the terrible from other games.

Jucksalbe

Banned
YJIYd1j.png

Managed to beat that damn boss!

I had to try a few times. At first I just used the Flame Shield, which helped a lot, but the timing of the enemies' turns changes a bit during the fight, so you might get two attacks of the same enemy before Firaga could heal me. Then I also used Drain, which helped a bit more, but in the end the enemy could still attack twice before either me or the Firaga spell could heal. Then I also equipped the Elven Mantle to increase magic resistance, which didn't change much, but might just be the reason I survived the fight in the end.
Most of the fight I could survive by just timing my Drain attacks a bit better to get them in right after the enemy attacked, but the wind crystal's attack was actually almost strong to kill me in one strike. Once it hit for 1019 of my 1049 max HP. But thanks to the Mystic Knight's special ability to cast Magic Shell when he's close to death this was also the last time he did that much damage. I'm glad I survived this, I can't wait to find out where I get stuck next.
Thanks again to chaosblade, your strategy saved my run!

Boney

Banned
YJIYd1j.png

Managed to beat that damn boss!

I had to try a few times. At first I just used the Flame Shield, which helped a lot, but the timing of the enemies' turns changes a bit during the fight, so you might get two attacks of the same enemy before Firaga could heal me. Then I also used Drain, which helped a bit more, but in the end the enemy could still attack twice before either me or the Firaga spell could heal. Then I also equipped the Elven Mantle to increase magic resistance, which didn't change much, but might just be the reason I survived the fight in the end.
Most of the fight I could survive by just timing my Drain attacks a bit better to get them in right after the enemy attacked, but the wind crystal's attack was actually almost strong to kill me in one strike. Once it hit for 1019 of my 1049 max HP. But thanks to the Mystic Knight's special ability to cast Magic Shell when he's close to death this was also the last time he did that much damage. I'm glad I survived this, I can't wait to find out where I get stuck next.
Thanks again to chaosblade, your strategy saved my run!
Nice! If you haven't, consider giving equip whips to one of Berzerkers since it helps their accuracy inmensely and you get the back line defense bonus

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
The forever battle.

grlKBpf.png

2BWLayD.png

TSQoTCJ.png

XBiAH8m.png

Was beginning to think something was going wrong since it took so long for the first Death to activate. Golem and slow made surviving easy enough though, and I managed to steal 3 of the 4 elixirs.

Now I've got to deal with the biggest challenge of this run and beat Exdeath at level 15/16. It required a decent amount of luck at 18. Primarily a matter of getting to the second phase of the fight, from there reflect and golem will carry me the rest of the way.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Did you use Level 5 Death to kill them?

Death sickle. I also used the healing staff to heal them to prevent their HP from getting low since a single magic attack from any of them would have been a party wipe.

First try. Very lucky rolls on his attacks, since stuff like zombie/poison breath would have murdered me.

TAQEo9w.png

JC Lately

World 2 Complete! Last year me has been avenged!

... Now I have no idea what I'm doing. This is the furthest I've been in FFV for a fiesta.

I still have a save right before this ExDeath fight. Is Doom and Level 3 Flare worth fighting him again to try and learn?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
World 2 Complete! Last year me has been avenged!

... Now I have no idea what I'm doing. This is the furthest I've been in FFV for a fiesta.

I still have a save right before this ExDeath fight. Is Doom and Level 3 Flare worth fighting him again to try and learn?

Doom is not worth it and you can get Level 3 Flare in the pyramid. IMO, just continue. Level 2 Old on the other hand IS worth it, if you didn't get that from the Magic Dragons it's extremely handy.

For what it's worth you can get Doom in the pyramid too.

Not familiar with the mobile sprites, which job is that at the bottom? Ranger or Bard? Regardless, Blue/Summoner/Chemist should easily carry you through the game. 3 of the best jobs for sure.

JC Lately

Doom is not worth it and you can get Level 3 Flare in the pyramid. IMO, just continue. Level 2 Old on the other hand IS worth it, if you didn't get that from the Magic Dragons it's extremely handy.

For what it's worth you can get Doom in the pyramid too.

Not familiar with the mobile sprites, which job is that at the bottom? Ranger or Bard? Regardless, Blue/Summoner/Chemist should easily carry you through the game. 3 of the best jobs for sure.

That's Bard.

Thanks for the tips! I already got Lvl 2 Old (though I forget from where) so I'll just push on.

I had no idea just how awesome Chemist in this game! My only other experience with the job was Tactics, where they're pretty much worthless. I'm loving it in this!

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
One of the bard songs is missable, you need to get it from the top of the library of the ancients before the pyramid. It's probably the least useful song, but still.

Least logical end to this fight? Probably!

8fQTvNo.png
GHDnsGA.png

Kind of annoying since it kept using Ice Storm, which was a 1HKO for anyone except an Ice Shielded berserker. Had to just keep trying until that wasn't used and buckle down until Gigaflare.

Getting close. This would also (probably) be my fastest run if I hadn't left the game running for nearly 5 hours.

zrmcdCf.png

Wasn't confident enough to try this on my last run with these jobs. But hey, why not.

S7kAZWG.png

Second attempt, used Quick+Catoblepas and killed all four barriers before Necrophobe even got his dumb speech in. Golem basically blocks all his attacks, but he's still dangerous since he double attacks and can beat Golem in one attack then kill a character with the second. Didn't matter though, it wasn't enough for Necrophobe to gain a meaningful advantage.

KY0QUOa.png

Got a great clean win against Exdeath and then failed to break the bottom part of Neo. Have about a 9% chance of success with each attempt.

Success!

jSEfZRY.png

kbePgFl.png

8gWEXLJ.png

Third try is a charm, right?

Turns into a long fight after that, but Grand Cross was the only real threat. Dispel did nothing except take haste off the berserker (had an angel ring), and physicals are blocked by Golem. The berserker was equipped to be immune to most statuses, and that worked out well seeing as he was never afflicted with anything. Had a zombie, a couple instances of instant death, and a couple berserks across three Grand Crosses, nothing unmanageable. Those could have easily been a nasty combination that left me with no usable characters, but I was always left with at least one.

Summon+Rune Axe dealt a very respectable amount of damage, as high as 2400 (but also as low as 500). Magus Rod Syldra also dealt very solid damage, 1400-1700 usually. Mug in the front row with the Chicken Knife hit for about 1000 consistently. Time Mage predominantly functioned as the support, but occasionally used Comet during downtime.

HP estimation was barely acceptable, with the front part taking a few more hits than the middle to finish the fight.

bqrGjQT.png

I wish I had managed 15 across the board. Stupid red dragon. :(

Seems like Sandworm at level 8 is not happening for a Black Mage/Geomancer party. Geomancer is worthless and Black isn't great, boosted -ara spells only hit for a bit over 300 damage. I have no HP or decent healing so quicksand leads to a quick death. Guess I get to grind for a couple levels.

Success at level 10, with 1HP left. Quicksand left my last two characters with practically no HP. Had them each go out with a bang and break their rods, which was just barely fast enough.

ultimos

Neo Member
The game is serious when it says "take them at the same time." Best bet is to prep for the fights before you walk up to the door at the top floor.

Woah! I had this happen to me twice, and I was totally convinced that I had crashed the game somehow, despite playing on a legit gba cart on a gba. I ended up just changing a bunch of stuff on my tower run to hopefully change up whatever RNG nonsense I had caused to crash the game. Also Googling didn't help me out at all. It didn't occur to me that I was basically cheating the system by going into my equipment between the two battles. I should have just asked about it in here!

JC Lately

Carbuncle + Golem + Succubus Kiss/1000 needles = this fight is a straight joke.

Hey, fuck you too, buddy! Chicken Knife just works better for this party! Jerk.

Anyhoo: Finished the pyramid. Got 1000 needles finally, but wasn't the right level to grab Lvl 3 Flare. Lenna is still level 30 though so I jump back in and grab the spell before moving on.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
sQHeLAg.png

Archeoaevis was really tough for level 12 Geomancers and Black Mages, glad to be done with that. Took a lot of tries and some luck but I could tell it was doable and didn't want to grind.

This is like the one instance where Geomancers have been kinda good. Gaia gets Wind Slash which easily gets the fight to the revival segment. After that, sloppiness with low damage output. At 100-150 damage per hit that took quite a few hits, and the boss' MT attacks were devastating. Frost was an instant loss, I simply didn't have the HP to recover from it. So I basically needed to never see Frost, and see physicals and entangle between other MT attacks so could take a little time to recover.

Got Dancer from Earth. Black/Geo/Dancer(/Mime). Safe to say my low level is not going to last.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand how you can play through the game so quickly

Fast forward, basically. Dialogue and cutscenes at 10x speed makes a big difference, I don't think I could replay the game without it. Plus running from nearly every encounter unless I'm specifically grinding.

Done with the first world at 4 hours in-game time but really probably 2-3. Might need to grind before I actually go to the second world because Gilgamesh on the bridge is going to destroy this job combination.

Gilgamesh destroying me even after getting 5 levels. Going to need to grind for elixirs at the wind shrine and possibly get more levels to survive jump.

I finally have time after EVO and my job to get back to where I was. I'm just leaving Drakenvale, and I think it's that mountain next with the evil plant?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Nope, shields are useless for those jobs. Flame Shield sells for more IIRC.

Had to level up to 20 to beat Gilgamesh, but finally got relatively lucky. Thought I was going to have to go even higher.

Finally got to the point where everyone is mastering their classes, and I'm hesitant to switch because Rapid Fire is only on one person. :(

...eh, the other characters don't need it.

zephry

Whew I just finished my first run. I sent a #victory tweet and then a #reg tweet but I can't seem to register for another run. Any advice would be appreciated.

Top Bottom