• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: NES vs. Dawn of Souls - how do they differ?

I just picked up Dawn of Souls the other day, and I have around 5 hours on it... and though I didn't play much of FF1 on NES back in the day, I can't really tell what is different about it, but I get the feeling that it's much different. I haven't played the Dawn of Souls FFII yet, but I imagine some changes were made to that as well. Or I could just be completely wrong.

Anyway, anyone know the changes made? Not really an interesting topic, I know, but I'm very interested because I'm finding this to be a great game when I didn't really get into it on NES that much.

Cioran

it's probably the mp system (instead of assigned # of uses) and the retardly high encounter rate that are contributing to the different feel...

JayDubya

Banned
It's also obscenely easier in general. That big push to get the good items in Elfland and level up to a huge degree before the Marsh Cave was a pushover on GBA.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
JayDubya said:
It's also obscenely easier in general. That big push to get the good items in Elfland and level up to a huge degree before the Marsh Cave was a pushover on GBA.
Ehh...I dunno. On the whole maybe but I found the boss fights to be much harder. I took out Chaos in half a round in the NES version but took a good half hour on the GBA.

All the battles so far have been pushovers... but I'm not too far (Cavern of Earth). And I got lost several times and didn't know what to do, and that accounted for a ton of leveling up. My guys are near level 30. :lol

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
What I like about DoS is that I can play strage parties with much more ease. I know it's not as "hardcore" but it's still fun.
Should resume my WHM x 4 game someday.

Johnas

I love everything about the GBA iteration of FF1 with the exception of the game's lack of difficulty, as already mentioned. Love the graphical style. I wish the difficulty could have struck some sort of middle ground, the NES game was fun but nowadays is so tedious with the leveling and spell purchasing and all.

Red Scarlet

RevenantKioku said:
What I like about DoS is that I can play strage parties with much more ease. I know it's not as "hardcore" but it's still fun.
Should resume my WHM x 4 game someday.

x4? Feh, do a solo!

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Ranger X said:
I sure hope you notice that the game freaking PWN the original in matter of sound and graphics at least...

Kind of amazing how well the graphics and music hold up when compared to FFO on the PSOne.

Red Scarlet

RevenantKioku said:
Maybe someday. Right now I'm trying to just BEAT FF3. :*(

Yeah, you have fun with that. Now I have no idea when I'll get 5a, so go and do whatever with that when you get yours.

RevenantKioku

Red Scarlet said:
Yeah, you have fun with that. Now I have no idea when I'll get 5a, so go and do whatever with that when you get yours.
Mine just shipped, so I won't have it for a week or so anyway. I was hoping to have 3DS cleared way before 5a shipped though. Oi!

jgkspsx said:
The encounter rate is obscene. I ended up giving up on it after the marsh cave.

A cave after that is actually worse, and to add salt to an open wound, you have to go through it, beat the boss, go back out, and then go back in and out for another reason. :lol

Scarlet: very informative list. Thank you.

Yeah, it's definitely way easier. Is the version on Final Fantasy Origins the same?

The PS1 versions have some small system changes like not being limited to 4 weapons/armor per character in FF1 and fixes some bugs that made certail spells useless, but mostly they're the same as the FC versions. The GBA versions were the first with substantial changes to the game system and balance and also the first with a rewritten (Japanese) script.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I messed around with FF2 NES yesterday, is not bad I dont get the hate. played like 3 hours or something got hooked with it fairly quick.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
heh got killed a few times. didnt save too.

but I enjoyed it more than ff3.

Red Scarlet

go go go

If you do give 2 a try, I can hook you up with a "map pack" I made for the dungeons..makes them a lot less frustrating (monster rooms get really annoying).

Top Bottom