• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake - Cloud Trailer (The Game Awards 2019)

D.Final

Banned

Originally hired by the resistance group Avalanche in their fight against the sinister Shinra Corporation, Cloud Strife becomes embroiled in a much deeper conflict and proves he’s more than just a mere mercenary. Get an introduction to this iconic hero in this trailer shown during The Game Awards, and get ready to experience more of his story when FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE launches Worldwide for PS4 on March 3, 2020.

Hype over 9999 :messenger_smiling_hearts:

stickkidsam

Best trailer hands down, up, and then down on the table.

The voice acting was a MASSIVE improvement, the facial expressions were varied with subtle hints of character, and the tension seems to be high with moments for a good laugh! Thank fuck! Gameplay looks great as usual. Now to get that collector's edition...

Fbh

Still have a lot of doubts about this and the story is almost guaranteed to suck.

But damn the music and visuals are on point

Rran

Not to rain on everyone's parade, but I'm a bit concerned that every bit of footage so far has been in Midgar. I know the game is split into two parts, but Midgar was basically the first 10% or so of FF7. Makes me wonder if this part will either be way too short, or padded out too much.

caffeware

Banned
Not to rain on everyone's parade, but I'm a bit concerned that every bit of footage so far has been in Midgar. I know the game is split into two parts, but Midgar was basically the first 10% or so of FF7. Makes me wonder if this part will either be way too short, or padded out too much.
The whole game will be Midgar only.

Thabass

It has been confirmed time and time again that this is only going to be in Midgar. The other games will cover other locations when they come out.

Last edited:

Fbh

The game will only be Midgar and the entire section will be expanded to feature around the same amount of content as a full mainline entry. So yeah there's going to be a lot of padding, the question now is if that padding will be good or bad.

Also, it's not going to be 2 parts. The people in charge of this project have actually said not even they are sure how many parts this will end up having.

GrayFoxPL

The game will only be Midgar and the entire section will be expanded to feature around the same amount of content as a full mainline entry. So yeah there's going to be a lot of padding, the question now is if that padding will be good or bad.

Also, it's not going to be 2 parts. The people in charge of this project have actually said not even they are sure how many parts this will end up having.
This is a one time gig. When it's done, we're done.

Shifty1897

Maybe I missed something, but there might have been 5 seconds of new footage in this trailer. I just don't see much of a reason to get excited over this one.

Hinedorf

Banned
I have this need in me to take shots at anything FF7 because I feel it's the most overrated RPG of all time not to say I don't like/love it, it's just not what the hype indicates.

I'm kinda taking a step back from this because it looks so damn pretty I'm now very excited for it

Last edited:
I have this need in me to take shots at anything FF7 because I feel it's the most overrated RPG of all time not to say I don't like/love it, it's just not what the hype indicates.

I'm kinda taking a step back from this because it looks so damn pretty I'm now very excited for it

Overrated? If anything FF7 deserve the hype because it was a revolutionary RPG for its time, and unlike other games it's not riding off the coattails of other games, it was the FIRST JRPG to be a MAJOR SUCCESS here in the USA, so if anything it deserves recognition for bringing attention to the genre here in the U.S., if It wasn't for it we probably wouldn't have gotten half the JRPG's ported here. You want overrated? Look no further than Zelda, those game get rated highly JUST because its a NINTENDO game, so it's riding on the coattails of NINTENDO IP's.

Hinedorf

Banned
Overrated? If anything FF7 deserve the hype because it was a revolutionary RPG for its time, and unlike other games it's not riding off the coattails of other games, it was the FIRST JRPG to be a MAJOR SUCCESS here in the USA, so if anything it deserves recognition for bringing attention to the genre here in the U.S., if It wasn't for it we probably wouldn't have gotten half the JRPG's ported here. You want overrated? Look no further than Zelda, those game get rated highly JUST because its a NINTENDO game, so it's riding on the coattails of NINTENDO IP's.

Counterpoint: You're wrong.

Calling FF7 revolutionary and the first major success in the USA is like saying the Sony Playstation is where RPG's originated.

Was it popular? Yes because it was MARKETED more than any other RPG. To act like RPG's weren't successful in the USA until FF7 is just plain ignorant.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
From what I've gathered analyzing the various trailers and gameplay presentations, there is a boss fight with a robot scorpion in this game.

Just my theory.

Counterpoint: You're wrong.

Calling FF7 revolutionary and the first major success in the USA is like saying the Sony Playstation is where RPG's originated.

Was it popular? Yes because it was MARKETED more than any other RPG. To act like RPG's weren't successful in the USA until FF7 is just plain ignorant.

"The next major revolution came in the mid-to-late 1990s, which saw the rise of 3D computer graphics and optical discs in fifth generation consoles. The implications for RPGs were enormous—longer, more involved quests, better audio, and full-motion video. This was clearly demonstrated in 1997 by the phenomenal success of Final Fantasy VII, which is considered one of the most influential games of all time,[254][255] akin to that of Star Wars in the movie industry. With a record-breaking production budget of around $45 million,[254] the ambitious scope of Final Fantasy VII raised the possibilities for the genre, with its more expansive world to explore,[256] much longer quest, more numerous sidequests,[254] dozens of minigames, and much higher production values. The latter includes innovations such as the use of 3D characters on pre-rendered backgrounds,[257] battles viewed from multiple different angles rather than a single angle, and for the first time full-motion CGI video seamlessly blended into the gameplay,[255] effectively integrated throughout the game.[254] Gameplay innovations included the materia system, which allowed a considerable amount of customization and flexibility through materia that can be combined in many different ways and exchanged between characters at any time, and the limit breaks, special attacks that can be performed after a character's limit meter fills up by taking hits from opponents.[255] The materia system is similar to, but more sophisticated than, the slotted item system in Diablo II (2000).[258] Final Fantasy VII continues to be listed among the best games of all time, for its highly polished gameplay, high playability, lavish production, well-developed characters, intricate storyline,[257] and an emotionally engaging narrative that is much darker and sophisticated than most other RPGs.[259] The game's storytelling and character development was considered a major narrative jump forward for video games and was often compared to films and novels at the time.[260]

The explosion of Final Fantasy VII's sales and the ascendance of the PlayStation represented the dawning of a new era of RPGs. Backed by a clever multimillion-dollar marketing campaign,[261] Final Fantasy VII brought RPGs to a much wider console audience and played a key role in the success of the PlayStation gaming console.[262][263] Following the success of Final Fantasy VII, console RPGs, previously a niche genre outside Japan, skyrocketed in popularity across the world.[264] The game was soon ported to the PC. The game was also responsible not only for popularizing RPGs on consoles, but its high production budget played a key role in the rising costs of video game development in general, and it led to Square's foray into films with Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.[254]"

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned

"The next major revolution came in the mid-to-late 1990s, which saw the rise of 3D computer graphics and optical discs in fifth generation consoles. The implications for RPGs were enormous—longer, more involved quests, better audio, and full-motion video. This was clearly demonstrated in 1997 by the phenomenal success of Final Fantasy VII, which is considered one of the most influential games of all time,[254][255] akin to that of Star Wars in the movie industry. With a record-breaking production budget of around $45 million,[254] the ambitious scope of Final Fantasy VII raised the possibilities for the genre, with its more expansive world to explore,[256] much longer quest, more numerous sidequests,[254] dozens of minigames, and much higher production values. The latter includes innovations such as the use of 3D characters on pre-rendered backgrounds,[257] battles viewed from multiple different angles rather than a single angle, and for the first time full-motion CGI video seamlessly blended into the gameplay,[255] effectively integrated throughout the game.[254] Gameplay innovations included the materia system, which allowed a considerable amount of customization and flexibility through materia that can be combined in many different ways and exchanged between characters at any time, and the limit breaks, special attacks that can be performed after a character's limit meter fills up by taking hits from opponents.[255] The materia system is similar to, but more sophisticated than, the slotted item system in Diablo II (2000).[258] Final Fantasy VII continues to be listed among the best games of all time, for its highly polished gameplay, high playability, lavish production, well-developed characters, intricate storyline,[257] and an emotionally engaging narrative that is much darker and sophisticated than most other RPGs.[259] The game's storytelling and character development was considered a major narrative jump forward for video games and was often compared to films and novels at the time.[260]

The explosion of Final Fantasy VII's sales and the ascendance of the PlayStation represented the dawning of a new era of RPGs. Backed by a clever multimillion-dollar marketing campaign,[261] Final Fantasy VII brought RPGs to a much wider console audience and played a key role in the success of the PlayStation gaming console.[262][263] Following the success of Final Fantasy VII, console RPGs, previously a niche genre outside Japan, skyrocketed in popularity across the world.[264] The game was soon ported to the PC. The game was also responsible not only for popularizing RPGs on consoles, but its high production budget played a key role in the rising costs of video game development in general, and it led to Square's foray into films with Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.[254]"

Per your shit source:
The explosion of Final Fantasy VII's sales and the ascendance of the PlayStation represented the dawning of a new era of RPGs. Backed by a clever multimillion-dollar marketing campaign,[261] Final Fantasy VII brought RPGs to a much wider console audience and played a key role in the success of the PlayStation gaming console.

You have to be in your teens or early 20's because you're speaking out of your ass using the internet to aid you in times you likely weren't born to know the difference.

What angers me is the generation of people much like your opinion that only pulled their heads out of their asses to recognize RPG's when FF7 came out because of pretty graphics. This is the exact reason I consider FF7 the most over hyped game. It's like handing a child a picture book and they like it better because they can just look at the pictures and don't have to read.

Per your shit source:
The explosion of Final Fantasy VII's sales and the ascendance of the PlayStation represented the dawning of a new era of RPGs. Backed by a clever multimillion-dollar marketing campaign,[261] Final Fantasy VII brought RPGs to a much wider console audience and played a key role in the success of the PlayStation gaming console.

You have to be in your teens or early 20's because you're speaking out of your ass using the internet to aid you in times you likely weren't born to know the difference.

What angers me is the generation of people much like your opinion that only pulled their heads out of their asses to recognize RPG's when FF7 came out because of pretty graphics. This is the exact reason I consider FF7 the most over hyped game. It's like handing a child a picture book and they like it better because they can just look at the pictures and don't have to read.

So your counterpoint is assuming my age because you were proven wrong? gotcha.

Counterpoint: You're a dumbass.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Maybe I missed something, but there might have been 5 seconds of new footage in this trailer. I just don't see much of a reason to get excited over this one.
Personally I just felt this trailer packed more of a punch and didn't have a ridiculous length. It was well put together and ramped up well with a climactic finish.

The other trailers have shown some cool stuff but it's felt messy and mainly focused on content only people who played the original would understand the implications of.

YukiOnna

They've expanded the games story to make it the size of a full RPG with new boss and final boss, so it's not exactly 1:1.

stickkidsam

people arguing about dumb shit instead of talking about the trailer as usual

looks great, I wanna see more goofy ass monsters
I want to see the house with a Michael Bay esque transformation sequence. That'd be great.

I'm really happy to see Tifa and Cloud having such chemistry. I was worried they would make Tifa all aloof, but she's clearly affectionate to Cloud.

Top Bottom