• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake PS4 Exclusivity Expiration Also Delayed to April 10, 2021

Mista

Banned
Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake.jpg

Back in December, Square Enix revealed via an official box art that the upcoming game would be exclusive until March 3, 2021.

In January, the game has been delayed to April, but did the PS4 exclusivity have a fixed expiration, or was it simply for a year after release? The latter is correct according to a new version of the cover made available on the official Square Enix press portal.

The new date after which gamers on other platforms can hope to play the game as well is April 10, 2021, as you can see on the box cover.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
This exclusivity stuff is so embarrassing. Especially for a title that’s going to be fifteen parts or however long they want to draw it out. Just give everyone the same game at the same if it’s coming on multiple platforms. No ones buying a console in 2020 for FFVII remake. Same garbage Microsoft pulled with Tomb Raider.

Fbh

Makes sense, the timer on these deals usually starts when the game actually launches.

This exclusivity stuff is so embarrassing. Especially for a title that’s going to be fifteen parts or however long they want to draw it out. Just give everyone the same game at the same if it’s coming on multiple platforms. No ones buying a console in 2020 for FFVII remake. Same garbage Microsoft pulled with Tomb Raider.

I agree that timed exclusives are bullshit and I don't like them. Would much rather pick this up on PC.
With that said I guess I get why they are doing it. No that many people will buy a Ps4 for it but I think they still want to make the "only on playstation" stuff look as good as possible on the year they are launching a new console

Last edited:

Metnut

Can’t imagine anyone who really likes JRPGs, or even just Japanese games, not owning a PS4 at this point. Not sure why this is a big deal.

People who aren’t a huge fan of the genre but curious will still get the game in a year.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Can’t imagine anyone who really likes JRPGs, or even just Japanese games, not owning a PS4 at this point. Not sure why this is a big deal.

People who aren’t a huge fan of the genre but curious will still get the game in a year.

I actually know a few people who believe the true home of JRPG is the Switch.

I don't agree, but they do exist.

Dr.Morris79

It's Square, and Square are wank.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I actually know a few people who believe the true home of JRPG is the Switch.

I don't agree, but they do exist.

JRPGs got really popular and established on the DS, especially as the companies struggled with the 360/PS3. So a sizable group of people have been playing this genre on handhelds for almost ~15 years by now.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
JRPGs got really popular and established on the DS, especially as the companies struggled with the 360/PS3. So a sizable group of people have been playing this genre on handhelds for almost ~15 years by now.

Of course. That doesn't change the fact that nearly all JRPGs are on PS4, while a sizable percentage isn't on Switch.

With the release of PS5 it'll be interesting to see where developers will go, because a lot of smaller Japanese studios will have issues making games that can scale that much.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Of course. That doesn't change the fact that nearly all JRPGs are on PS4, while a sizable percentage isn't on Switch.

With the release of PS5 it'll be interesting to see where developers will go, because a lot of smaller Japanese studios will have issues making games that can scale that much.

My guess is they will stay on Switch.

After all, the Switch is more popular in Japan than the PS4 and will be so for the PS5 unless the system blows up in a way no console has done in a long long time.

Aion002

If it was Microsoft paying for a year exclusivity...

it would be ...

Well.... How many people have only an xbox one? How many have a Ps4....

Not that hard.

Anyway.... I don't support games that do this crap, FFVII is my favorite FF, but I will pay 20 bucks on him on PS4, nothing more. Fuck you S-E.

Shitty practice's, I honestly don't blame Sony and MS for doing, I blame the jerks who accepts the deal.

Also, this is a completely different scenario of cases like Nioh, Death Stranding and other games, cause square enix doesn't need anyones help to make the game.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

I think they'll stay on PS4, similar to how PS2 kept getting japanese games 2+ years into PS3's lifespan.

Switch will likely see an increase as well, tho I don't know how much or little.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
cool cool cool. i bought a PS4 Pro largely to play this without waiting. looks like i'll still have it a full year early. can't wait.
Don't want to pay for episodes so I'll patiently wait till the complete game comes out in 2025
since you're trying to keep the experience pure for yourself, you'll probably want to stay out of any and all FFVII related threads for the next 5 years then. unless you want to watch how much fun we're all having!

VulcanRaven

Is that cover real? I don't remember seeing covers saying that a game is timed exclusive like that.

Last edited:
MS must be kicking themselves for missing out on this deal.

Even I thought this would just be a small-scale, mediocre remake but it's shaping up to be the AAA JRPG to end all JRPGs. It looks phenomenal, and is the first time I'm interested in FF since FF10 on PS2.

So the major JRPGs exclusive to PS4 are... Persona 5?

Besides, I’d argue that FFVII and JRPGs in general are actually very different things. They certainly are for me.

Top Bottom