• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VIIR new Ultimania out Today 10/29 in Japan

Kev Kev

ok can someone explain what "ultimania" actually is? a magazine? website? 7 day long event? lol, like i have no idea what it is, i just see the info dumps on here (which is all that matters of course but.... sorry, im just curious and my google skills failed me).

also, is this just more info about the first ffviir? nothing new?

lol, and that video is making it look like this is a strategy guide? but the games been out over 6 months? and its all in japanese... im so confused :messenger_confounded::messenger_confounded::messenger_confounded:

Last edited:

ZZZZ

ok can someone explain what "ultimania" actually is? a magazine? website? 7 day long event? lol, like i have no idea what it is, i just see the info dumps on here (which is all that atters of course but im still curious).

lol, and that video is making it look like this is a strategy guide? ut the games been out over 6 motnhs? im so confused :messenger_confounded::messenger_confounded::messenger_confounded:
It's a book of the game, there's a lot of stuff in there, information about lore, characters, designs, interviews, etc...

Here's a video with all pages shown of the first Ultimania released earlier this year.

sephiroth7x

ok can someone explain what "ultimania" actually is? a magazine? website? 7 day long event? lol, like i have no idea what it is, i just see the info dumps on here (which is all that matters of course but.... sorry, im just curious and my google skills failed me).

lol, and that video is making it look like this is a strategy guide? but the games been out over 6 months? and its all in japanese... im so confused :messenger_confounded::messenger_confounded::messenger_confounded:

There may be an official wording as to what they are, but based on what I have (The first three volumes of FF Ultimania's) they are almost like a behind the scenes of the game development and why they chose certain routes while making it. So, answering why Cloud has a certain type of sword etc and what his clothing symbolises - or why they chose Sephiroth to have white hair and not any other colour. That sort of thing. This FFVIIR one is the behind the scenes of making it if that makes sense?

Kev Kev

It's a book of the game, there's a lot of stuff in there, information about lore, characters, designs, interviews, etc...

Here's a video with all pages shown of the first Ultimania released earlier this year.

There may be an official wording as to what they are, but based on what I have (The first three volumes of FF Ultimania's) they are almost like a behind the scenes of the game development and why they chose certain routes while making it. So, answering why Cloud has a certain type of sword etc and what his clothing symbolises - or why they chose Sephiroth to have white hair and not any other colour. That sort of thing. This FFVIIR one is the behind the scenes of making it if that makes sense?
aaahhh ok thanks so much! dude that sounds so cool, wish they released english versions tho. wtf?

sephiroth7x

aaahhh ok thanks so much! dude that sounds so cool, wish they released english versions tho. wtf?

I can vouch that the first three volumes of FF Ultimania are translated. I bought them from Amazon. They were roughly £30 each if I remember rightly.

wipeout364

Square does a great job creating female character models, one of the best in the business IMO. For Voice acting and writing they are one of the worst in the business so I guess you can’t have everything.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

So SE went into more detail about one of the contents that were cut due to time constraints.

Could be an interesting DLC or part of the upgrade for next year.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

I am very excited to learn how fictional characters gel their hair. It's very important information.
It's what you expect from a Final Fantasy Ultimania, :messenger_tears_of_joy: .
They usually are over 500 pages so they go into a lot of detail.

ZZZZ

Huh...a few people were right that the red galaxy in the back looked like Jenova / Sephiroth.

YukiOnna

I am very excited to learn how fictional characters gel their hair. It's very important information.
Ultimania's will always go into excruciating detail from concept design to modelling and everything in between. It's very interesting if you're a super fan or like to read about the design process.

ZZZZ

There's been a huge ass fight within the fan base on twitter the past couple of days between SJW's and woman with large breasts, some crazy stuff, it started because SE says it in the Ultimania Tifa is basically a 32DDD. LOL

Anyway back to more stuff on the Ultimania:

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Eli0dmjVMAI5t6x

Eli2L0bU8AARzZq

EliiagCVcAESB3d

Hm...hair mod incoming? it's probably in the game files as well.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

There's also Final Fantasy VII Remake How To Walk In Midgar that just came out

ITEM_IMAGE2.jpg
One important note about Walk with me through Midgar or walk through Midgar or w/e the translation is, it's the first time people have seen the High Res background texture pics, so it's safe to assume it will be fixed on either PC or PS5. We have know they existed in game because of data mining but we haven't seen them so far anywhere, not even in the first 2 ultimanias.
I can't verify, but the one person that mentioned, is trustworthy. When i find some pics i'll post them.

Last edited:
There's been a huge ass fight within the fan base on twitter the past couple of days between SJW's and woman with large breasts, some crazy stuff, it started because SE says it in the Ultimania Tifa is basically a 32DDD. LOL

qkTo87t.jpg

Might go check REEEEEEEEs why "Women" criticise sexy female characters thread.

I'm sure it's gonna be fun.

Dacon

Banned
So SE went into more detail about one of the contents that were cut due to time constraints.

Could be an interesting DLC or part of the upgrade for next year.

So wait, they cut the Tifa part out but kept that terrible fucking lab slog? Such a dumb decision.

ZZZZ

So wait, they cut the Tifa part out but kept that terrible fucking lab slog? Such a dumb decision.
They cut it out because they didn't have enough time, not because they didn't like it, it would have been in the game if they had more time.

ZZZZ

The info that both galaxies at the edge of creation are supposed to resemble Sephiroth caught me off guard, i thought one of them was meant to look like a yellow flower or even Omega.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
They cut it out because they didn't have enough time, not because they didn't like it, it would have been in the game if they had more time.

Yes, I can read. That doesn't change the fact that they pushed a ton of obnoxious filler like the terrible sidequests and awful lab section into the game but cut what could have been an awesome part of the game.

ZZZZ

Yes, I can read. That doesn't change the fact that they pushed a ton of obnoxious filler like the terrible sidequests and awful lab section into the game but cut what could have been an awesome part of the game.
Oh yeah, they decided back in 2017 that they already had a Tifa questline in the works, decided to push it off so they could focus on follow the cats sidequest, and then find out at the end that they didn't have time to finish it, makes total sense.
Heck the second to last build of the game didn't even have 100% of the first chapter done, the flashback to Nibelhelm was something that they decided to put in at the last moment.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
Oh yeah, they totally decided back in 2017 that they already had a Tifa questline in the works, decided to push it off so they could focus on follow the cats sidequest, and then find out at the end that they didn't have time to finish it, makes total sense.
whapter done, the flashback to Nibelhelm was something that they decided to put in at the last moment.

Is there a reason you're so defensive of this?

I'm not arguing your scenario in the first place, the point is trash made it into the game instead of a great idea like this. You're putting words in my mouth to be touchy about nothing.

Last edited:

ZZZZ

Is there a reason you're so defensive of this?

I'm not arguing your scenario in the first place, the point is trash made it into the game instead of a great idea like this. You're putting words in my mouth to be touchy about nothing.
The devs said they didn't had the time to finish it and implement into the game, that's it, it's not that hard to understand, it doesn't have anything to do with shitty side quests or some bad level design.

Edit: The devs were adding stuff into the game all the way until early this year, Tifa questline was probably one of the last ideas that they decided to implement but they just didn't have the time.

Last edited:

Dacon

Banned
The devs said they didn't had the time to finish it and implement into the game, that's it, it's not that hard to understand, it doesn't have anything to do with shitty side quests or some bad level design.

Edit: The devs were adding stuff into the game all the way until early this year, Tifa questline was probably one of the last ideas that they decided to implement but they just didn't have the time.

You're completely missing the point, but go off I guess.

YukiOnna

Nice. Always enjoy hearing from the seiyuu's.
Morikawa and Sakurai's responses are pretty interesting.

Top Bottom