• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 Hype/Info Thread [New Battle Videos and Screenshots]

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
ninj4junpei said:
Toriyama + time travel = LOL
I was gonna make the same joke.
KuGsj.gif

I deeply doubt that this will be like Radiant Historia since some people are comparing it to RH. RH hit all my sweet spots from the very beginning, right up until I 100%'d that game. This isn't exactly hitting my sweet spots yet.

Perfo said:
I think they're really doing what I've hope, a system in which you can travel the same world at different times seeing the changes, A Link to the Past all over again! – or perhaps it's something more close to Chrono trigger. HYPED!
One teeny-weensy nitpick: ALttP had nothing to do with Time Travel... more like
crossing dimensions to a representation of the world in another dimension at the same point in time, not crossing points in time
. Oracle of Ages/Seasons, maybe...

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Dark Schala said:
One teeny-weensy nitpick: ALttP had nothing to do with Time Travel... more like
crossing dimensions to a representation of the world in another dimension at the same point in time, not crossing points in time
. Oracle of Ages/Seasons, maybe...

Yeah I know sorry, I meant something that permits to travel at different "times" the same places – time or dimension that is – of the same world. In this sense I felt the need to name ALTTP, especially for all the gameplay changes involved in it while changing dimension.

On a side not, I'm curious to know if we can also travel back in time, maybe to the war of transgression days...

Amir0x

Banned
the heck they got a Radiant Historia like system?

now that's the second appealing bit of news I've heard about this title. Now it's up to a $20 buy I think

Perfo

weeaboo said:
The 3rd Birthday story is amazing!
bwaahahahahhahaha

That was really a mess, but X-2, XIII and Revenant Wings are still decent. Ok, that doesn't mean he can manage a time-travelling story better :D
It's a major title anyway, I don't think he can fuck up too much.

Bebpo

Banned
Is there a release date on this yet? Finding it hard to believe it's going to make December in Japan with Agito being almost into November.

Perfo

Bebpo said:
Is there a release date on this yet? Finding it hard to believe it's going to make December in Japan with Agito being almost into November.

December it's confirmed, but for a solid day you probably have to wait for next week at Tokyo Game Show. It'll be probably mid-december though.

Bebpo said:

Honestly, I think S-E just wants Type-0 out the door. XIII-2 will be their emphasis.

Perfo said:
That was really a mess, but X-2, XII and Revenant Wings are still decent. Ok, that doesn't mean he can manage a time-travelling story better :D
It's a major title anyway, I don't think he can fuck up too much.

Considering how badly he fucked up FF13's basic "rebels vs empire" storyline, I'd say the future is looking pretty grim.

Thoraxes

Lightning has become "an existence close to that of a deity"?
Where can I sign up to put my money in the collection basket?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kagari said:
Noel, Serah + a monster, and sometimes a guest character. And then sections where you play as Lightning.
Man, I genuinely liked FF XIII's gameplay for what it was, even if it was such a monstrously flawed game, but I do not want this. Not one bit. Ugh.

And that storyline is even bad compared to FF XIII, which is damn impressive.

At least the Radiant Historia style system sounds somewhat interesting.

Beth Cyra

Bebpo said:
wasn't it confirmed to be first week of decemeber just like GUNDAM VS Extreme?

Thoraxes said:
Lightning has become "an existence close to that of a deity"?
Where can I sign up to put my money in the collection basket?

I guess attractiveness translates into godly power. Because that's literally all Lightning has going for her.

Beth Cyra

The Xtortionist said:
I guess attractiveness translates into godly power. Because that's literally all Lightning has going for her.
I disagree, I loved Lightning as a character and she has both an awesome weapon and some cool fighting. Actually now that I think about it Lightning wasn't all that pretty to me, I always viewed Fang as the most beautiful of the XIII women.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Bebpo said:

No official date announcement yet, but my guess is December 15th.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Amir0x said:
the heck they got a Radiant Historia like system?

now that's the second appealing bit of news I've heard about this title. Now it's up to a $20 buy I think
If it is like an RH system (and we'll get more details in Famitsu today I guess to see if this is truly the case), I doubt it'll be as flexible as RH's system is.

Perfo said:
Yeah I know sorry, I meant something that permits to travel at different "times" the same places – time or dimension that is – of the same world. In this sense I felt the need to name ALTTP, especially for all the gameplay changes involved in it while changing dimension.
LOL, no worries. I couldn't resist cuz I like Zelda too much. Probably--in a best-case scenario--it might be like the Oracle games (time travel in isolated area pockets), then. Maybe.

The Xtortionist said:

Basically.

Time travel + Toriyama? I'm scared.

JoeFenix said:
3rd birthday had time travel elements and that turned out amazing plot wise. Don't know why you guys are up in arms about this!

tumblr_lnz88nBAbU1qj60veo1_250.gif

I repeat, I'm scared.

Lady Bird

Matsuno's Goebbels
Could anyone make a fast spoil of 3rd birthday's story to me?

Why would Lightning become something like that? Was she even important to the main plot? I guess having been marketed as a main character is good enough of a reason to make her a being close to a deity now.

I'm completely conviced this game's story will suck. The writers can try as hard as they can; the problem isn't that they aren't trying enough, but that they have absolutely no notion of what good storytelling is. You can check any site on google about how to write, or what shouldn't be done when telling a story, and it's incredible how FFXIII's plot is a stellar example of mediocrity. And I don't even give much credit to those sites, but hey, FFXIII's goes as far as feel like a parody of bad writing, without even trying to be one.

For Toriyama and Watanabe to improve, they would need to be in the situation that many high-school wannabe writers are when they try to publish their work: get completely rejected, hear some really hard criticisms pointing out their suckyness, and invest a good few more years to improve their craft. Which won't happen, because those two are in the privileged situation where any crap they shit out will be published simply because they decide to.

However, from a gameplay point of view, the time-traveling idea might be really cool. Especially if it's one of Toriyama's plans to make the game less linear.

Cheska

The more I hear about this, the more I should be getting turned off, and yet my fingers and toes are crossed that this game will be magically delicious. It's my most anticipated game of 2012 after all.

The story sounds like complete crap. It dosent even sound like it has much to do with XIII and is just a new random adventure. Whatever, it will probably be fun stupid unlike the boring stories in tales games.

Grivenger said:
Why would Lightning become something like that? Was she even important to the main plot? I guess having been marketed as a main character is good enough of a reason to make her a being close to a deity now.

Well time has passed but If i'm not wrong the hint were already in there in the epilogue the japanese version has ..if i'm not mistaken , someone has translated it.

Pooya

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/09/07/kanada_xiii2_storyboard

This year's CEDEC 2011 game developers conference had a unique session that touched upon Final Fantasy XIII and XIII-2. The subject of the session, held during earlier today, was the late Yoshinori Kanada. Square Enix mobile business senior manager Takashi Tokita and Mobile & Game Studio chairman Masanobu Endou discussed Kanada's legacy.

Before passing away two yeas back at 57, Kanada had worked on such games as Final Fantasy XI, Hanjuku Heroes, Musashiden II, Final Fantasy IV (DS version), Seiken Densetsu 4 and Final Fantasy XIII. He was also animation supervisor on Final Fantasy The Spirits Within.

On FFXIII, Kanada served as storyboard director, heading up storyboards for the game's pre-rendered movie scenes, real time cut scenes and summon scenes.

Tokita shared a message from FFXIII and XIII-2 director Motomu Toriyama revealing that one piece of unused Kanada content will be revived for XIII-2. Kandada created a storyboard showing Lightning being held by her summon Odin. Although Toriyama personally liked this scene, it ended up not being used, something that Toriyama says he regrets. XIII-2 will have a scene that's similar to this.

jorgeton

I want this game NAO.

They had me at the jump button.

But a time travel story angle on top of all the other nonsense? It will be so awesomely bad, in a Showgirls kind of way. I wish I could time travel to six months from now to buy this.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Red... chocobo :3

EDIT: NEED THAT LAST PIC! IN HIGH RESOLUTION!!!

Cheska

My jaw literally dropped at the sight of those pics. Finally some substinence, and sexy ones at it! More color is introduced, and Lightning <3 <3

Thoraxes

Holy shit this game is pretty.
That chocobo.
That everything.
I'm still excited for the game.

Also guessing by the screen, the guy Lightning is fighting (that cover guy) is probably a recurring boss with her. Also their were multiple QTE options (two at the same time) during the midst of what looked to be a fight too, so maybe we'll have to make quicker choices in battle between just more than one option.

That would actually be kind of cool.

Beth Cyra

Gameplay is sounding fun so far and it seems like we could have far more variety then XIII so that would fix one of my big issues.

Still have no desire to play as this douche Noel or Sarah, but I will put up with them to see Lightning and Fang.

Top Bottom