• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII Information Thread | March 9, 2010 NA/EU

Status
Not open for further replies.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
ExtraKr1spy said:
But you would expect a huge company like SE to put as much effort on their flagship franchise on both platforms.
SE sucks. Sorry to disappoint everyone.

Only consistent performer in the company is Nomura, even though it makes the haters stay up at night.

Sometimes I wish SE has an official forum.
Just so I can troll their business decisions this gen to no end.

That and...MS....stop wasting your money on stupid exclusives...or multiplat...blahhhhh

duckroll

Eternal Sleeper said:
Sometimes I wish SE has an official forum.
Just so I can troll their business decisions this gen to no end.

That and...MS....stop wasting your money on stupid exclusives...or multiplat...blahhhhh

Erm. Wada is on Twitter. Why don't you add him and troll him to no end about this. I don't think he understands English though, so you might want to use a machine translator to help. Please update us on the results, kthx.

Peff

final_fantasy_xiii_360_028.jpg

final_fantasy_xiii_ps3_05.jpg

They don't really look that different...

h3ro

DMPrince said:
what happened to hope's arm in the 360 shot? :lol 360 couldn't render it?

Also, it appears that he fights with a giant toothbrush on the PS3 version.

PS3 has better dental hygiene: Confirmed.

Pooya

Both versions are begging for Anisotropic Filtering, just look at the ground texture.

360 screens are 1267 × 713, not sure if it matters :/.

marathonfool said:
They do when you have a nice big HD screen. Lower resolution really sticks out to me. Rachet and Clank was hard to look at.
I was under the impression R&C ran at just under 720p, like a vertical resolution of 702 (and not upscaled, but with bars).

Peff

Some shoots really look off on the 360 though

final_fantasy_xiii_360_029.jpg

final_fantasy_xiii_ps3_04.jpg

The enemies and ground look the same but the characters seem to have different lightning. Oh, well.

KurowaSan

MvmntInGrn said:
I was under the impression R&C ran at just under 720p, like a vertical resolution of 702 (and not upscaled, but with bars).

It's like that in Tools of Destruction, but it doesn't have black bars in A Crack in Time. I've always thought that if it's still rendering at the same resolution but overscanning the image to remove those bars, that's the reason why there were people saying it doesn't look as crisp as ToD.

jett

D-Member
Peff said:
http://www.meristation.com/EPORTAL_IMGS/GENERAL/juegos/Xbox360-Rol/23/IMG2-cw4b7d43c0b0400/final_fantasy_xiii_360_028.jpg[img]
[img]http://www.meristation.com/EPORTAL_IMGS/GENERAL/juegos/PlayStation3-Rol/1f/IMG2-cw4b7d450edb58d/final_fantasy_xiii_ps3_05.jpg[img]

They don't really look that different...[/QUOTE]

Actually in this comparison the resolution difference is pretty obvious.

Personally I can't wait to see how DigitalFoundry will spin this in the 360's favor.

576p. You gotta be kidding me. Nice work Square.

At least tell me the damn framerate is identical. That's pretty much the only thing that can save the 360 port at this point.

I said a few days ago I'd buy a PS3 if the 360 port got Bayonetta'd. Well, looks like I may have to gather up a cool 300$ and bite the bullet.

That or hold out for a PC version with really nice IQ. I'd really like to put 300$ towards a sick PC rig. What are the chances of that happening?

Peff said:
Some shoots really look off on the 360 though

images

The enemies and ground look the same but the characters seem to have different lightning. Oh, well.

Hope's hair looks more detailed on the PS3 one then that X360 one. Though other than, it seems the difference would only be noticed on an up close and personal level. The images still seem to indicate that ground textures are rather bland or stick out weirdly in relation to the character models, imo.

On another note, it seems kind of goofy to have on that menu screen Hope looking extremely serious/sad, while the girl is smiling like its her best day on Earth.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Man those transparencies look bad. On both versions. Lightning's hair looks like it was sprayed on with the spraycan from MS Paint.

Dedication Through Light said:
Hope's hair looks more detailed on the PS3 one then that X360 one. Though other than, it seems the difference would only be noticed on an up close and personal level. The images still seem to indicate that ground textures are rather bland or stick out weirdly in relation to the character models, imo.

On another note, it seems kind of goofy to have on that menu screen Hope looking extremely serious/sad, while the girl is smiling like its her best day on Earth.

At this point it just looks like a typical Eurogamer faceoff, except in complete reverse. The last saving grace for this 360 port would be the framerate, screen tearing department. If it can at least hold the same or better frames, then there is hope for this port.

Misterinenja said:
Is this the first multiplat game looking worse on 360?

The only other instance I can think of where a PS3 game looked significantly better was Ninja Gaiden 2 (higher resolution, better lighting), but I think that game might have had fewer enemies on screen, more tearing and or lower framerate.

So right now, this could be the first case where PS3 version really outshines it's 360 counterpart on every level.

jett

D-Member
Misterinenja said:

Burnout Paradise 360 has framerate issues the PS3 version doesn't have. That's about it, I guess? :p Not many multiplatform games have the PS3 as the lead console. In the case of FFXIII it's really pretty much a proper PS3 game that's been ported to the 360 late in development.

Misterinenja said:

There's been a few games like Mirror's Edge and Burnout Paradise where I think the PS3 has got the edge. And there's some late releases like Red Alert 3 and Sigma 2 have improved graphics on the PS3.

sam27368

Banned
nskinnear said:
Just got back from pre-ordering this game at GameStop.

I guess the pre-order "bonus" is supposed to make me want to buy the full guide.

dorz1d.gif
e00b5z.gif

Lol.

LOL at the map on the right hand side "follow the straight path"

Synless

Wow, I didn't think this would have been a poor port after all that "they are identical" talk. Guess 360 owners lose out this time after all.

Khrno

It's a shame that SE had to resort to this to fit the game in just 3 discs. Although the question is, did they really do it to not go over 3 discs, or was it too difficult for them to actually do a decent porting job and gave the 3 discs reason as an excuse?

electroshockwave said:
There's been a few games like Mirror's Edge and Burnout Paradise where I think the PS3 has got the edge. And there's some late releases like Red Alert 3 and Sigma 2 have improved graphics on the PS3.

There are a few more....going by what I remember from LensofTruth:
Dragon Age - Origins (but lower framrate)
Batman: AA (although not by much)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Synless said:
Wow, I didn't think this would have been a poor port after all that "they are identical" talk. Guess 360 owners lose out this time after all.

Developers always throw around terms like 'identical.' They're not going to come out and say 'Hey, one version of our game looks better than the other!'

fernoca

Khrno said:
It's a shame that SE had to resort to this to fit the game in just 3 discs. Although the question is, did they really do it to not go over 3 discs, or was it too difficult for them to actually do a decent porting job and gave the 3 discs reason as an excuse?
Well, all they've said about it is that they (first) chose how many discs (i.e. 3), then started the porting. So they worked with the 3 discs size/limitation in mind. They could've done 4..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom