• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Information Thread | PC Open Beta... yeah it's not really open.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
banner.jpg

spec.png

Title: Final Fantasy XIV Online
Genre: MMORPG
Developer: Square Enix
Publisher: Square Enix
Release date: [PC] September 22, 2010 (CE), September 30, 2010 (Standard) | [PS3] March 2011
Language: English|Japanese|German|French
Pricing: $12.99/30 days

For PlayStation 3 and Personal Computer

Official Site

Staff

Producer: Hiromichi Tanaka (FINAL FANTASY I, II, III, XI)
Director: Nobuaki Komoto (FINAL FANTASY IX, XI)
Art Director: Akihiko Yoshida (Vagrant Story, FINAL FANTASY XII)
Music: Nobuo Uematsu (Smile Please Co., Ltd.) (FINAL FANTASY series)

media.png

E3 2009 Trailer
TGS 2009 Trailer
E3 2010 Trailer

GamesCom 2009
Character Animations
Lalafell Gameplay
Range Gameplay
Magic and Melee Gameplay

races.png

Hyur
The largest population in Eorzea. There are two clans: Midlanders (from the lowlands) and Highlanders (from the mountainous lands).

Elezen
The indigenous peoples of Eorzea, who are opposed to the Hyurans. They posses developed hearing abilities.

Lalafell
Agricultural people of the south seas. Highly intelligent, but females are scarce.

Roegadyn
Maritime people of the north seas.

Miqo'te
A race that is few in number. There are two clans: the Seekers of the Sun, and the nocturnal Keepers of the Moon.

news.png

8/20/2009
OP will be consistently updated now.
Latest videos from GamesCom up.

IGN Hands-on Impressions

Famitsu Interview with Hiromichi Tanaka

New Environment/Class/Enemy Screenshots

11/06/2009
Campaign code included in the first pressing release of Final Fantasy XIII JPN version.

06/15/2010
NVIDIA PC benchmark: http://download.nvidia.com/downloads/nZone/demos/FFXIVBenchmark.zip

06/30/2010
September 22/30 release date announced for PC version. PS3 version in March 2011.
Limited Edition announced.

ff14cebox2.jpg

The standard PC edition will be $49.99 while the Limited Edition goes for $74.99.

The Limited Edition contains:

* IN-GAME ITEM – Collector’s Edition preorders will include a reward code to receive an exclusive in-game item, the Onion Helm.*
* EARLY ACCESS – Play 8 days prior to the release of the Windows PC Standard Edition (timing of access subject to initial server capacity).
* BEHIND-THE-SCENES DVD – Get an insider look at the making of FINAL FANTASY XIV, with exclusive video content, interviews and more in this special documentary DVD.
* SECURITY TOKEN – A FINAL FANTASY XIV–branded Security Token for use with your regular password.
* TRAVEL JOURNAL – Record your travels in this beautifully bound journal filled with pages of never-before-seen concept art.
* RIGHT OF PASSAGE – Redeem a voucher to receive your fully-personalized Right of Passage Certificate, each stamped with a unique serial number.
* AMANO COVER – Special PC Collector’s Edition illustration by renowned artist Yoshitaka Amano.
* FREE GAMEPLAY – Free gameplay for 30 days.
* GAME DISC
* GAME MANUAL

i'll be there when the beta hits. most likely if i ever do get into the MMO. i'll buy the ps3 version if the pricing is right.

i liked the videos i saw on GT.

DrDogg

Finally a new thread where people can see all the latest in the first post. Excellent work.

Now we just need a solid Q&A from Gamescom and maybe some TGS news and we'll be well on our way to the open beta. :lol

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
For PlayStation 3 and Personal Computer

This gave me a sudden urge to start calling PC's Personal Computers, just in like... general conversation. "Yeah man, my Personal Computer is acting up, I think I need a new Graphical Processing Unit."

On topic -

I realize this is media and information, but are you going to put up impressions?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kinitari said:
This gave me a sudden urge to start calling PC's Personal Computers, just in like... general conversation. "Yeah man, my Personal Computer is acting up, I think I need a new Graphical Processing Unit."

On topic -

I realize this is media and information, but are you going to put up impressions?

Got any links? I saw the one for 1up, but the guy who wrote it couldn't even get the composer's name right :lol

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Kagari said:
Got any links? I saw the one for 1up, but the guy who wrote it couldn't even get the composer's name right :lol

Ah, the 1up one is the only one I knew of, I figured you had a whole slew of them hidden away somewhere. Well if I come across any
well written ones
, I'll let you know.

Azure J

I really want to play this game. It just looks so damn good and has a sense of real adventure all over. I don't think I'll have the time to invest in it however. :(

Great stuff so far though.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
NeoUltima said:
I admire you...I could never handle two MMOs :(.

Oh don't get me wrong, I am probably going to crash and burn and spiral into a state of self-loathing. But damn it I don't know what other choice I have.

snakeiox

Neo Member
excellent work, as always, if there is a beta, i hope i get in, im interested in this game.

@ regulus tera,,, i know im also want spanish (im from mexico)

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
o_O I just watched the Magic and Melee gameplay for the first time - I don't know if this was discussed in the other thread - but was that a portal that opened up at quest completion?

I know they are pushing a much more 'mobility friendly' design in this game, as FFXI traveling was my biggest complaint (well, second biggest to finding a damn party to do anything) - so the idea of taking that out of the equation is very appealing to me. I know some people might be annoyed at just teleportiing around everywhere, but if done right, I think they can encourage exploration while making essential travel less monotonous/quicker.

That being said, can anyone confirm if that was an end-quest-return-to-sender-esque portal?

Kinan

Good job Kagari, will be checking this thread regularly. :)

Plan to visit FF14 booth at Saturday, can film something. Any particular requests?

Kinitari said:
That being said, can anyone confirm if that was an end-quest-return-to-sender-esque portal?

Obviously can't confirm what it was exactly, but the previous updates did say there would be a teleportation device available to players when they take on a quest. I can only assume it will transport them back as well when the quest is completed.

Kyzer

Banned
Much better. Day one and its already a vast difference in terms of being up to date, and all the new info that entails.

Kyzer

Banned
Upon a compulsory second glance at the animation vid(okay im a hype fiend for this one), Im considering changing my first char to be Galka

jiggle

i'm just really happy to see the alpha version is already using another language
bodes well for the world wide release plan :D

the new mithra is just so nice! what a 180

Alex

It's never mentioned, but I hope the initial aggro system from XI returns. The whole sight, smell, sound thing. Was a BRILLIANT system and led to some really amazing pulls and exploration.

I'll be a little disappointed if it follows in the amazingly lazy simple radius method every single other MMO uses.

falastini

I'm a little disappointed to see the fighter use the same motion to activate two different weapon skills. I was hoping the weapon skills would have more involvement from the character themselves in terms of animation. I hope they don't go the FFXI-route where they just recycle the same motions for every weapon skill. There were a few SCs where the toons did unique animations, but they were rare.

NeoForte

falastini said:
I'm a little disappointed to see the fighter use the same motion to activate two different weapon skills. I was hoping the weapon skills would have more involvement from the character themselves in terms of animation. I hope they don't go the FFXI-route where they just recycle the same motions for every weapon skill. There were a few SCs where the toons did unique animations, but they were rare.

I'm thinking it's still early (pre-Alpha) so I'm hoping there will be more animations for the Beta and Final Release. Still in FFXI it made getting those unique WS all the more worth getting don't you think? ;P hehe

Teknoman

Kinan said:
Good job Kagari, will be checking this thread regularly. :)

Plan to visit FF14 booth at Saturday, can film something. Any particular requests?

Actual magic spells just to see how they animate, and if you can manage...capture the music playing for the current demo.

Top Bottom