• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

I picked Reptile-like race (I liked Bangaa...and FF games never really do the usual spin on beastmen/women so they should look different than normal lizardmen), Dark Knight (of course) and original class.

Npcs need to start commenting on Dalamud though. Its pretty prominent in the sky now, and even visible during the day now.

rybrad

Once you are out of levequests until reset are you just supposed to grind mobs non-stop or am I missing something? The other quests you get in town seem to be mainly about gear and gil while giving very little xp. Is there any reason to go to another city and quest in that area?

Allard

@Allard

If you are having problems finding gear try using FFXIV-db's gear finder.

http://www.ffxiv-db.com/gear_finder.php

You should be able to find appropriate gear for all levels/classes and find out what's required to craft them.

Speaking of which Where is Ultros ?

I go to that site all the time :p, like I said I can't find the gear "unless" I craft it myself or ask a friend to do it. Furthermore like I said there is still a lot of missing recipe tiers that need to be filled in that the dated equipment still monopolize. For instance its a bit hard to find DEX + PIE gear on anything other then Disciple of the Land gear :p And thanks to the near elimination of the 'optimal' and favored gear in the new recipes I can't even use that gear on my class if I wanted. (I am a Barcher!). The only way to make certain equipment useful for my class (That is actually favored by Bard/Archer) is to attach Materia to the gear that will compliment my class. In which case I definitely need to get someone else to help me since among my lowest level classes is weaver and leatherworking lol.

Once you are out of levequests until reset are you just supposed to grind mobs non-stop or am I missing something? The other quests you get in town seem to be mainly about gear and gil while giving very little xp. Is there any reason to go to another city and quest in that area?

There is also Behest which occurs once every 30 minutes which gives you similar EXP to leves. Behests happen at all the leve camps and are usually designed for classes 5 levels above the base level of leve camps. You basically go on a special quest where you eliminate the enemies asked, it finishes with a special 1-3 mob battle at the end, and when it finishes you get bonus EXP just like leves. I would also recommend doing the main story quests when possible as they can give a decent amount of EXP out and a fair amount of gil in the higher levels. For instance I am about to do the final main mission and I will get 46k EXP and 136k gil. Also some of the 'quest' missions can give out some ok to decent EXP, the EXP amount goes up with the level required to do it. Basically the early levels are unfortunately meant to be a grind right now but as you get higher up leves and quests give out a lot more EXP (Bonus jumps to nearly 9-10k bonus at the end during company leves at lvl 49/50). Hopefully the hamlet defense will possibly give another avenue to get EXP like its FFXI counterpart Campaign.

I picked original/stealth class(probably should have done RDM, but my personal desire to find a battle class that suits me won out), and demi-lizard for the race(because if we get Gria in this game, that would be awesome).

GLD is 43 now, hopefully I'll hit 50 before the end of the week if time allows.

I think Gria are draconic, which was part of the lizard description... the lizard demi description just mentioned 'demonic/horns' as an example IIRC, which Gria also have.

Maybe it's wishful thinking but I'd love to see them or a variant in a FF MMO.

rybrad

There is also Behest which occurs once every 30 minutes which gives you similar EXP to leves. Behests happen at all the leve camps and are usually designed for classes 5 levels above the base level of leve camps. You basically go on a special quest where you eliminate the enemies asked, it finishes with a special 1-3 mob battle at the end, and when it finishes you get bonus EXP just like leves. I would also recommend doing the main story quests when possible as they can give a decent amount of EXP out and a fair amount of gil in the higher levels. For instance I am about to do the final main mission and I will get 46k EXP and 136k gil. Also some of the 'quest' missions can give out some ok to decent EXP, the EXP amount goes up with the level required to do it. Basically the early levels are unfortunately meant to be a grind right now but as you get higher up leves and quests give out a lot more EXP (Bonus jumps to nearly 9-10k bonus at the end during company leves at lvl 49/50). Hopefully the hamlet defense will possibly give another avenue to get EXP like its FFXI counterpart Campaign.
Cool, thanks for the info, I had no clue about the Behests. We have been doing all the quests we can find so far, just gets a bit old running back and forth all over the damn city sometimes. Getting through the early grind will be a lot easier knowing that it gets better later.

Jinko

Cool, thanks for the info, I had no clue about the Behests. We have been doing all the quests we can find so far, just gets a bit old running back and forth all over the damn city sometimes. Getting through the early grind will be a lot easier knowing that it gets better later.

Are you on Lindblum? I would be happy to Power-level you if you want.

King_Moc

Banned
Gonna hop on now i think. Would anyone be able to run me through the Thousand Maws at some point please? Or is there anyone that hasn;t done it yet? I can probably solo it, but it won't let me. And i need to get through this to progress everything else (i think).

rybrad

Are you on Lindblum? I would be happy to Power-level you if you want.
I am indeed on Lindblum but I will have to pass on your generous offer for now. A buddy and I are working our way through it and I think there is a benefit to going through the paces the game provides the first time. Once it is time to get jobs leveled just to get abilities for endgame builds I will be looking to cut every corner possible then.

Jinko

I am indeed on Lindblum but I will have to pass on your generous offer for now. A buddy and I are working our way through it and I think there is a benefit to going through the paces the game provides the first time. Once it is time to get jobs leveled just to get abilities for endgame builds I will be looking to cut every corner possible then.

Yup thats true enough, well good luck.

Gonna hop on now i think. Would anyone be able to run me through the Thousand Maws at some point please? Or is there anyone that hasn;t done it yet? I can probably solo it, but it won't let me. And i need to get through this to progress everything else (i think).

Don't think Toto-rak is required, only In to theDark (DH)

Im really liking brd so far. I fish you could stick at least 2 songs on a person at a time. Been testing the range of songs and the radius isn't huge which is good. Was playing last night with another BRD and we were putting Ballad, and Rigor on the mages, TP and Rigor on the Melee and TP and Ballad on the PLD. So much fun cannot wait to play it some more tonight.

Xux

I still need to check it off my list (Imperial Devices, I mean). Same with It Kills With Fire, though, I'm fine with soloing the prerequisites for that when I hit 36.

So I guess we should try to organize that. I'm Maelstrom, BTW, if anyone wants those bonus seals.

Teknoman

If you two are looking to hang around for awhile, join our Linkshell.

Jinko

Holy crap they are planning to add DoH and DoL in the future my precious inventory space ;.;

New producer letter scheduled for the 26th, showing upcoming content/chances for 1.22.

Ravidrath

Holy crap they are planning to add DoH and DoL in the future my precious inventory space ;.;

New producer letter scheduled for the 26th, showing upcoming content/chances for 1.22.

What? What new kind of crafting and harvesting is even possible? :eek:

...Archeologist? Magiteknician?

Allard

What? What new kind of crafting and harvesting is even possible? :eek:

...Archeologist? Magiteknician?

He means they are planning to add AF for all DoH and DoL classes. 5 times 8 = 40 inventory slots just on crafting classes alone (if you have them all lvl 50+) and an additional 15 for the land classes. It was something posted this morning by a JP rep and was 'unofficially' translated on the official forums. The ETA for these sets is not available.

Mature

Culinarian AF gear, huh? Hmm...

180px-Quina_Quen_character.jpg

Jinko

So when doing Coincounter all range just stand here, and stop casting when he does animal instinct, that way you don't trigger Eye of the Beholder.

Best tanked with a Warrior, they can take a hit from 100 tons where as a paladin can't.

ffxivgame20120313232608.jpg

Both MRD and WAR have more base HP than GLD and PLD. PLD even loses a bit of HP when switching to PLD from GLD. Apparently there have been posts on the JP forums from devs saying that they feel PLD is a bit lackluster and will be adjusted.

Both MRD and WAR have more base HP than GLD and PLD. PLD even loses a bit of HP when switching to PLD from GLD. Apparently there have been posts on the JP forums from devs saying that they feel PLD is a bit lackluster and will be adjusted.

So, no lessons learned from the dismal state that GLD launched in, where MRD was a superior tank due to massive HP pool and passive continuously-active parry, and GLD leveled half as fast as all other jobs because XP was split between sword and shield and block was an active skill that had a cooldown and so GLD couldn't mitigate damage half the time. Color me unsurprised, if there's one thing Squenix is amazingly good at, it's failing to learn from previous mistakes.

Jinko

Do WAR just have more flat HP?

Pretty much in the pic above Azmar has like 3715 as PLD but when Musky was tanking as WAR he had 4500 it makes a big difference, if Musky got hit by 100 tons he would still have like 100-200 hp left.

It is possible for PLD to do it he just has to be on the ball when to get out of 100 tons.

Supposedly WAR def is higher also, JP players have complained about PLD and asked why they went this route, devs have said they will take feedback and look into it.

You're kidding? Paladin should be the be all, end all tank :(

Any reason why?

Also eye of the beholder is a counter then?

Yup its a counter, after animal instinct he will reset hate also so its important to let the tank regain enmity for 5-6 seconds.

We tried Morbol and got it down to 35% that is a crazy fight adds spawning everywhere and you are constantly fighting in goldbile, gota watch for slug silence and bad breath etc.

ffxivgame20120314023809.jpg

Buttons

Yeah the Morbol sure is one intense fight, we won the fight two days ago with 1 minute left on the timer. Never healed such a stressful battle before. xD

Cmagus

So I want to see if anyone is interested in doing a PL party this Saturday. Basically I want to get my remaining classes to 50 I am kind of tired of grinding these out now I have done two the old fashioned way and I know some of you are also having some issues grinding things out to catch up. I will be around Saturday as I do not have much to do and I want to now if anyone else is interested.

The way I see it is if we can get a full party grinding a few hours will be better than many days of wandering trying to grind. I think this will be a good opportunity to catch those up, get everyone ready for new quests and then we would have more to tackle the new dungeons as a group and end game content.

What I am proposing is

*any level you want to 50 you must have at atleast level 20 or more if you want (this avoids the slow grind of a party before mites and getting to 20 can be done in an hour or two.)Just use the inn boost on your lowest classes shouldn't be hard.

*We take classes from 20 -26/27 on mites (if we have anyone with all classes to 50 or 30+ who want to PL for this portion great. I will PL but I will need it in return) This takes roughly an hour if party is large it takes less to go from 20-26.

*We then go to ants for 27-37 this should take roughly an hour to two hours per class.

*Then raptors to 43/44

*then off to Natalan and wolves till 50.

Now I don't know if we will get all classes to 50 and it's going to take a few hours but most of you are usually on for several hours anyways so if your going to be on and just want to get this stuff done then let me know and let's see what we can do and arrange some times.Also if interested let me know what classes you have and at what levels.If time is an issue for some of the EU players I'll be on in the morning my time so I can PL you guys if you need it.

I have
Gladiator - 45
Marauder - 20
Pugilist - 21
Conjurer - 27

King_Moc

Banned
I still need to check it off my list (Imperial Devices, I mean). Same with It Kills With Fire, though, I'm fine with soloing the prerequisites for that when I hit 36.

So I guess we should try to organize that. I'm Maelstrom, BTW, if anyone wants those bonus seals.

Yeah, I need to do both of those. I'm on UK time though.

Jinko

Sure Eight I'd be up for that, always willing to PL if the favour is returned :D

ARC/BRD 33
GLA/PLD 30

Xux, King_Moc your both on Lindblum right, give me a shout and I can run you through Toto-rak.

King_Moc

Banned
Sure Eight I'd be up for that, always willing to PL if the favour is returned :D

I need to level ARC its at 33 at the moment.

Xux, King_Moc your both on Lindblum right, give me a shout and I can run you through Toto-rak.

That's great, thanks.

I could do with power levelling my glad and pug, so I'd be up for that on Saturday, definitely.

Teknoman

Pretty much in the pic above Azmar has like 3715 as PLD but when Musky was tanking as WAR he had 4500 it makes a big difference, if Musky got hit by 100 tons he would still have like 100-200 hp left.

It is possible for PLD to do it he just has to be on the ball when to get out of 100 tons.

Supposedly WAR def is higher also, JP players have complained about PLD and asked why they went this route, devs have said they will take feedback and look into it.

Not to sound bitter (because I like Warrior as well) but they shouldn't have to look into anything. They already messed up Gladiator early on by making everyone else have better tanking abilities, and now a Warrior can tank better than a Paladin? Warrior should have the ability to take some hits, sure, but Paladin should always be the go to tank imo.

How long does Hallowed Ground last?

Jinko

Translated by Reinheart on offical forums.

Producer/Director Yoshida here,

Thanks for continuing feedbacks on the spell casting.
We are looking through the comments so even with patch 1.22 or after on current or 2.0 we will look into making changes.

Once adjustment details on 1.22 is confirmed will update on it!
And just a little bit... (about 2.0)

We had a meeting with FFXI dev/management/other related departments regarding the entire project

Looking through current, checking on the project goals and checking the mile stones status, and within that meeting we also exposed the 2.0 FFXIV client which already started the QA process. This is really a large scale project and running alongside with current version we have to actually look to feel the reality of this.
(Remaking a MMO in year & half is something the dev team also believes it's not realistic ^^

So the 2.0 client is finished to a level where is reality.
For that swapping the maps for dungeons, transferring the contents and renewal, releasing lots of quest, how much to include using mass production. We're currently in that phase.

And after that it's just battle with time. To show to everyone it will require some more time. For myself I want to show the actual 2.0 FFXIV as a game and I apologize for dragging this but for now please fight against the 7th Umbral Era and wait for it.

Required spec will be lowered and we will also release the PS3 version.
We are working hard so more and more customers can play the game. So please encourage us.

Hmm... Molbol is going to get mad at me (Foxclon)

Allard

Translated by Reinheart on offical forums.

Producer/Director Yoshida here,

Thanks for continuing feedbacks on the spell casting.
We are looking through the comments so even with patch 1.22 or after on current or 2.0 we will look into making changes.

Once adjustment details on 1.22 is confirmed will update on it!
And just a little bit... (about 2.0)

We had a meeting with FFXI dev/management/other related departments regarding the entire project

Looking through current, checking on the project goals and checking the mile stones status, and within that meeting we also exposed the 2.0 FFXIV client which already started the QA process. This is really a large scale project and running alongside with current version we have to actually look to feel the reality of this.
(Remaking a MMO in year & half is something the dev team also believes it's not realistic ^^

So the 2.0 client is finished to a level where is reality.
For that swapping the maps for dungeons, transferring the contents and renewal, releasing lots of quest, how much to include using mass production. We're currently in that phase.

And after that it's just battle with time. To show to everyone it will require some more time. For myself I want to show the actual 2.0 FFXIV as a game and I apologize for dragging this but for now please fight against the 7th Umbral Era and wait for it.

Required spec will be lowered and we will also release the PS3 version.
We are working hard so more and more customers can play the game. So please encourage us.

Hmm... Molbol is going to get mad at me (Foxclon)

I want to wait for another translation from the reps before I make up my mind what that message is 'suppose' to mean but from what I can gather it could mean 1 of 2 things. Either 2.0 is getting delayed to meet a 'realistic' goal now that they are entering QA, or some features they hoped to have in 2.0 at the start might get delayed. Or it could be Yoshida rambling and trying to tell people we want to release stuff only when its ready and just giving people an update. If they are starting asset conversion now, then that is at least 3 weeks ahead of even the most conservative estimate according to there timeline PDF, but maybe they started early knowing that actual conversion estimate was not nearly long enough to make their timeline.

But if I had to guess based on his "Dragging his feet' comment he is just talking about how he refuses to show more stuff on 2.0 till he can show it 'as a game' and since they are only now entering the full conversion process he doesn't have anything to meet such a requirement and wants us all to wait a bit longer and just 'enjoy' the 7th umbral era while waiting. Is that comment on the dev team not believing it can be done in 1.5 years said by Yoshida or an aside by the translator? Its the one thing that really feels out of place.

Sounds like he wants to wait until a proper vertical slice of 2.0 can be shown before showing it off.
I'm ok with this. Unto Yoshi-P, I lend all of my strength.

Jinko

Makes sense he would want to copy over some stuff before showing it off.

It is a bit odd the part about the dev team thinking they can't meet the deadline though, hope that the community devs actually translate it, half the stuff they don't bother with.

:O
materiac.jpg

Makes sense he would want to copy over some stuff before showing it off.

It is a bit odd the part about the dev team thinking they can't meet the deadline though, hope that the community devs actually translate it, half the stuff they don't bother with.

It might be more of a mental thing.
You know, redoing an entire high-profile MMO in 18 months definitely sounds like an impossible task.

Admittedly, if they pull this off gracefully, they will have achieved something grand and fairly unheard of.

Not to sound bitter (because I like Warrior as well) but they shouldn't have to look into anything. They already messed up Gladiator early on by making everyone else have better tanking abilities, and now a Warrior can tank better than a Paladin? Warrior should have the ability to take some hits, sure, but Paladin should always be the go to tank imo.

How long does Hallowed Ground last?

Hallowed Ground is 20 seconds, 15 minutes cooldown, physical attacks only.
As for Coincounter, I've never tanked him so don't know, does Aegis Boon work for the 100 ton attack? If he doesn't use that more than once every 45 seconds couldn't one just save boon for that attack?

Allard

Glad I with held ultimate judgement on Rein's translation. The rep translated version makes the announcement sooooo much more positive.

Well, this is only a tiny bit, but I will share…

Yesterday we gathered the FFXIV development team, operations team, and other related departments and held a project all-hands meeting.

The main theme was a recap of the current time period, confirmation of future period project goals, and coordinating them with milestones, but we also showed off the 2.0 FFXIV client that is already under QA testing.

This is a crazy large project and since the current version and 2.0 are being developed side-by-side, you would really feel the reality of it if we didn’t show it off. (Even some of the development staff can’t believe that we are almost completely re-making an MMO in about a year and a half. ^^; )

In other words, the 2.0 client has reached that realistic level. Now we are entering the phase where we are switching the maps, adding dungeons, transplanting updated content and adding new, implementing a ton of quests, and seeing how much stuff we can put in with our mass production line.

All that’s left is a battle against time. It will take a little bit more before we have something we can show all of you. I’d really like to show you FFXIV 2.0 as a working game, but in the mean time play out the Seventh Umbral Era events and look forward to it.

The PC specs will be lower than they are currently and we will be releasing the PS3 version.
We are working our hardest to allow for an even greater amount of people to play and enjoy the game, so please cheer us on!

So basically, 2.0 isn't a dream anymore its at a 'real' stage where the developers can start actually using it to develop content for and not piggyback on perceived specs. The comment about developers is just gasping in belief they are actually pulling off a full remaking of an MMO in 1.5 Years rather then it sounding like they aren't sure its possible like it seemed in Rein's translation. So at least for the moment it looks like no fear of delays and we will just have to wait for when the time is right for them to show off the new client. Like others have said, probably E3 or shortly before it is when we are going to get a sizable peak at the coming content.

Cmagus

Wow that translation compared to the other one is like night and day. Sounds like things are moving which is great.They said they would be showing FFXIV off at E3 this year so maybe then we will get our first glimpse of the new content.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Blah - I had to reinstall a while ago. I don't have my discs anymore, but I still have my security token. Am I screwed? If I want to play, I have to buy the game again, right? :|

Ravidrath

Blah - I had to reinstall a while ago. I don't have my discs anymore, but I still have my security token. Am I screwed? If I want to play, I have to buy the game again, right? :|

I'm pretty sure there are ample means to acquire the install discs, given how many people gave buddy codes to friends, etc.

Ravidrath

The "intended" use of the buddy pass is to let the other person borrow your game disc. I don't think there are any "official" DL options.

No one said anything about it being "official."

And, ultimately, the "intended" use of the Buddy Pass is to get more subscriptions. I honestly don't know why they even sell MMOs in boxes any more.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
No one said anything about it being "official."

And, ultimately, the "intended" use of the Buddy Pass is to get more subscriptions. I honestly don't know why they even sell MMOs in boxes any more.

I noticed that you can now purchase the game on the SE website. In theory, shouldn't I be able to download it somewhere then? So confusing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom