• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

omlet

I might change my mind about doing the OT. Turns out this part of the year will be busier than I thought and I am also a little turned off with how unimportant OTs are these days. I'll probably still do it (and I want to do a really good job), but if someone wants to take it from me, I'll give it up no problem.

I might be interested in doing it / helping.

Munba

The worst of it is Dec/Jan are my vacation months. While I wasn't just banking on FFXIV beta it's the only two months of the year that I'm not juggling travel between Japan and Australia for work. I was really hoping to enjoy it.

Instead, my game time during this vacation mostly involves me getting railed in DOTA 2 by Internet thugs.

So bitter. lol.

You could help Riposte for the OT :D

Also if you guys need some stuff or help, let me know.

omlet

I've learned to ignore the trolls. ;) And I usually check the devtracker and see if something interesting have been posted.

Yeah, but you don't need to log in to read the devtracker. I visit OF for that, too, but there's no need to log in and open the way for the temptation to counter-troll to get the better of you. I intentionally leave my SE authenticator at home so I can't log in while I'm at work.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
From saturday...

I only can say

AMAZING!

BEfoM.jpg

Yeah, but you don't need to log in to read the devtracker. I visit OF for that, too, but there's no need to log in and open the way for the temptation to counter-troll to get the better of you. I intentionally leave my SE authenticator at home so I can't log in while I'm at work.

I like to leave a thank you to the devs when they give us something good or if I would like to ask a question. Some members on the forums aren't exactly the brightest bunch but there's no reason not to engage in the good stuff there because of them.

Allard

Small updates today from the Official Forums on the JP rep side.

1) They are working on optimization for SLI usage but due to inefficiencies in the current build the option will be disabled in beta. They will also look into optimizing/utilization of Dual Graphics mode for AMD APU+GPU setups.

2) Responding to the issue with the current opening movie not being too friendly for players who were not involved in the seventh Umbral Era storyline, they are planning to add an edited version of the opening movie that is better suited for new players. The one posted is just the original/uncut version designed for legacy/returning players.

3)I think posting the translation by Reinheart is better for this one, it talks about linkshell/free company functions for leaders/members.

In the past we mentioned the following (link above). In ARR linkshell will be converted into chat channel style and the features ver 1.x linkshell had will be moved onto Free Company in ARR. For that reason, I will answer the comments we received for Linkshell features as Free Company.

In ARR we are planning to make it possible to remove or change permissions settings for the other plaeyrs even if the other player is logged out. Also we are looking into feature where say if the Free Company leader doesn't login for some time you can move the features/permissions to another Free Company member.

So for those worried about the issues we had with linkshells in 1.0, they won't be an issue. Leaders will be able to kick people who are not playing so you won't need to constantly reform a shell/free company.

Xux

Ala Alba

As a LL man, this means pretty much nothing to me, I think?

But, uh, cool, I guess? I do(and did) like Minfilia's character design, though. Probably one of the better designed npcs, imo.

Xux

whoa! wait, so was it all an echo?
Most of it. Any scene with Niellefresne, Ascilia, or Corguevais is in an Echo. The present day story is F'lhaminn trying to find a way to resurrect Niellefresne after he got killed in the final scene. Also, any non-7th Umbral Era scene outside of Futures Perfect that involves one of the Circle of Knowing members is in an Echo, too; the final cutscenes all involve Echoes within Echoes.
As a LL man, this means pretty much nothing to me, I think?

But, uh, cool, I guess? I do(and did) like Minfilia's character design, though. Probably one of the better designed npcs, imo.
All three stories have parts in the present and past and characters whose names change. LL's has the most obvious one where Stahlmann, the former Commodore, is known as Rostnstahl in the present.

If you wanna watch all of them, look at this guy's channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/KamuiSouZou/videos?view=1&flow=grid

Protip: every time you hear a "whoosh" sound, you've transitioned in or out of an Echo.

Some LS/Free Company info.

Good evening!

We know the lack of administration features for linkshells was a major concern in version 1.0. In A Realm Reborn linkshells will focus mostly on being a way to chat with friends and Free Companies will have the features that players have been requesting for linkshells.

It will be possible to remove members and change authority levels even if the Free Company members are not logged in. We are also looking into a feature where leadership will be passed to another member of the Free Company if the leader does not log in for a certain period of time.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/57277-Linkshell-Management-in-2.0?p=936842#post936842

ebil

Most of it. Any scene with Niellefresne, Ascilia, or Corguevais is in an Echo. The present day story is F'lhaminn trying to find a way to resurrect Niellefresne after he got killed in the final scene.
Duh, that explains why Niellefresne has been dead for a while in the GSM storyline (I started Ul'dah's first arc when the game went out and never got to finish it before re-rolling in Gridania). A lot of the storyline makes so much more sense with this knowledge. Mind blown, thanks!

omlet

Most of it. Any scene with Niellefresne, Ascilia, or Corguevais is in an Echo. The present day story is F'lhaminn trying to find a way to resurrect Niellefresne after he got killed in the final scene. Also, any non-7th Umbral Era scene outside of Futures Perfect that involves one of the Circle of Knowing members is in an Echo, too; the final cutscenes all involve Echoes within Echoes.
All three stories have parts in the present and past and characters whose names change. LL's has the most obvious one where Stahlmann, the former Commodore, is known as Rostnstahl in the present.

If you wanna watch all of them, look at this guy's channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/KamuiSouZou/videos?view=1&flow=grid

Protip: every time you hear a "whoosh" sound, you've transitioned in or out of an Echo.

Man, it's been almost a year since I powered through most of the story quests. I didn't catch any of these connections about characters being grown up versions of people from echos at the time and I hardly recognize these names at this point (F'lhaminn is the panties mithra? Minfillia is the shirtless hume who you talk to in her office in Uldah during story missions? Niellefresne is the dark haired elf? WHy do these story NPCs not wear clothes?) so making sense of this news is a little difficult. That combined with doing class quests at varying intervals made keeping track of how things tied together tricky. I guess I need to watch all these CS again.

Fucking time travel.

I had read the "Minfilia=Ascilia & the first quests were an echo" theory, and, while very interesting, i dind't want to give them too much relevance being only that, theories.
But now that it is official, I'm looking for arriving home and watching again all those first cutscenes. So cool! :D

I thought the theory had a lot of points, one of them the Goldsmith quest, about F'lhamin talking of Nielle's death as something that happened long ago, when you could potentially see his death and that cutscene the same week.
However, what about Thancred? He is the only non-child hyur who is relevant in the Ul'dah story (not sure about the other 2 cities), but he has exactly the same looks in the present. Was he there in the past because of the echo, just like us?

Nakazato

I talked to ammy a few days ago about phase four. My plan is to be a bot in phase 4 of beta and lvl up alc or weaver so in 2.0 retail ill have a mule to make me some money. I advise ppl that will be starting the game for the 1st time to do this.

Jinko

Who the F is Minfilia :S

I feel I missed something important.

Good idea Nak, I just hope the AH/marketwards are decent.

Good idea Nak, I just hope the AH/marketwards are decent.

Ascilia: the girl in U'ldah storyline. Her father dies and she is left alone in the world.
Funeral.jpg

Minfilia: The leader of the Path of the Twelve. The one who explains us that we posses the Echo.
1_R20Mission.jpg

omlet

Isn't she the blond chick who just wears her undies top who's in that office-type instance in Uldah that you go to often for the main quests? I wish I was at home so I could youtube...

I'm reading a post on OF that is a sort of summary of story quest(s), and I vaguely remember most of what it's talking about, but still having trouble with putting some faces to names.

Edit: Looks like I was right, thanks Quadaess

And, as a trivia, while she was totally absent in the Seventh Umbral Era storyline, she will back in A Realm Reborn, with new clothes to make her a unique NPC, given her main part in the story.

0ca4JrufZfrtgk9kusCNiuPiEIGe2ncAUajSUfVwXQ.pngs

Excko

Is it possible to find a detailed story recap for what happened in version 1? Not videos of the cutscenes, but actual text explaining the story? I already found a few, but they didn't go into enough details.

Jinko

Oh yea I know who she is, that blond bird that had me running errands like some skivvy.

Loving the clothes design in some of the recent art work.

Xux

Niellefresne is the dark haired elf?
No, that's the doctor's son. Niellefresne's the Elezen with the short blond hair that gets stabbed in the back in the last cutscene.
However, what about Thancred? He is the only non-child hyur who is relevant in the Ul'dah story (not sure about the other 2 cities), but he has exactly the same looks in the present. Was he there in the past because of the echo, just like us?
No, they (Thancred, Y'shtola, Yda, and Papalymo) were there ten years in past to see what the City-States were doing to prepare against the Empire's attack following or leading up to the battle between the Agrias and Midgardsormr. ...It is pretty weird that they don't look any different in the ARR intro which is fifteen-ish years after.

They're part of the memories you're seeing until the last custscene in each city where they see the memory of another person in the memory you're in when you see that memory.

That sky feels so empty without Dalamud in it...

joking apart, nice screens!

No, they (Thancred, Y'shtola, Yda, and Papalymo) were there ten years in past to see what the City-States were doing to prepare against the Empire's attack following or leading up to the battle between the Agrias and Midgardsormr. ...It is pretty weird that they don't look any different in the ARR intro which is fifteen-ish years after.

They're part of the memories you're seeing until the last custscene in each city where they see the memory of another person in the memory you're in when you see that memory.

Oh, I forgot about Yda too, silly me. Lalafell teenagers and old men look the same (Nenekko and her mother, for example), and we don't know how much takes a Mi'qote to grow old. So I can't discuss about Papalymo or Y'shtola being young forever. But definitely, Yda and Thancred did'nt age. maybe S-E is too lazy to do both "18yo" and "28~33yo" models for them, but I think we will find in ARR some surprises about the Circle of Knowledge :D

Jijidasu

Someone posted an interesting reply on the forums: perhaps having FFXIV 1.0 Gridania music for night-time (or a remix of it, or even a completely new song). I seen this suggestion before but it really makes sense, more so given how lively the new theme is.

ebil

Yeah, I actually think the old theme would be a pretty good fit for nighttime Gridania.
Would be really nice in any case if daytime and nighttime tracks were somewhat different, considering how they're going more ambient with the soundtrack this time around.

Munba

I like there is also the moon light reflected on the buildings :0 Very nice.

Can't wait to see dawn with fog and sunset.

creid

Really strange that they'd do this. Assumedly your character knows when he/she is experiencing an echo, so it's kind of weird to have a plot twist that your character already knows about. I guess this was going to be revealed in missions released after the original game, but they never got around to it for obvious reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom