• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Damn this new bard job has my eyes glued to the hotbar. I can't even look at the actual fight anymore.

Also I had to reorganize all the actions and now I'm a bit lost. Hopefully I'll get used to all these songs combinations.

MH Hunting Horn feels.

EDIT: apparently it's time to learn macros.

what macros? the only macro you should have as a bard is for Nature's Minne and Palisade and those are just Target of Target macros. Anything else will feel clunky in terms of gameplay since macros skills gets rid of the skill queing system.

Also in terms of basics all you have to know is

1) only pitch perfect at 3 stacks, so you can wait to here the SFX. The only exceptions to this rule is if you have a sch/drg and battle lit + chain strat is up. The other is when Wanderer's is about to end because it would be wasted procs

2) always use up bloodletter during Mage's ballad. So you can just mash that button during GCDs since its a OGCD. No looking required. The exception is obvious when it comes to min-maxing.

3) Army Paeon has no proc system.

So the only real proc you have to know for basic bard is Ref. Arrow. Just make a separate hotbar, put that one button and blow that icon super big to however you like.

O and song rotation. It should be mostly WM->MB->AP in 30/30/20 intervals. So the only one you have to eyeball is Army's and even then its pretty lenient for basic bard. So you could leave it longer if you want, its not that big of a deal.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alchemist yellow script gear...

00QTjDT.png

Then you realize it's a pregnancy dress.

HXmtMGR.png

eliza0224

AST is pretty fun, made it to lvl 50. I'm not confident yet in trying 8man or higher trials, as I play with controller and I'm certain I'd mess up by healing the wrong person lol.

Arkeband

Banned
I'm not really sold on all of the Dragoon changes.

• The problem with Dragon Sight was partly its uptime and reliability of having a dedicated partner, but its also that you have to deselect your target, click someone in your party list, make sure they're targeted and in range, use Dragon Sight and then re-target, which tab targeting is still not reliable for. It's cumbersome and clunky.
  • Mirage Dive animation lock reduction is good, but in the past they've done this for jumps and each time it wasn't enough so they had keep further reducing it. There should be no animation lock at all. We don't need the cheap Mercy Stroke recycled animation to accompany the spell effect.
  • Elusive Jump timer reduction is great. No complaints here.
  • Sonic Thrust increasing BotD like WT/FnC not only helps the buff not fall off when AoE is needed, but it also means you can always save BotD as long as you have 4 seconds left even if the actual BotD initiator is down for some reason. This is a pretty good change, if only because it helps Sonic Thrust be a more interesting ability since it was a pretty boring replacement for Ring of Thorns.
  • BotD initial time increased to 20 seconds doesn't seem super necessary but whatever.

Ultimately it feels like they helped our QoL in some useful and not so useful ways, but the potency increases will be where our raw DPS will see improvements. A lot of the changes they listed will, in practice, have a negligible effect on DPS and don't actually solve some of the problems we have.

We will still largely be underwhelmed by LotD and Nastrond. I would have been more excited if they skipped all of the aforementioned changes and just guaranteed when you go into LotD you get 30 seconds no matter what, and DFD grants an eye.

AST is pretty fun, made it to lvl 50. I'm not confident yet in trying 8man or higher trials, as I play with controller and I'm certain I'd mess up by healing the wrong person lol.

Been healing with a controller since 2.0 and I had no problems doing AS during HW. You can definitely work the party list with some D-pad practice.

Gator86

What's the deal with level syncing in old dungeons and stuff? It's fucking awful. It's the only thing in the game I've absolutely hated so far. I love joining a random dungeon in the duty finder and then finding most of my skills are locked so I get to spend half an hour cycling through two my first two skills over and over. It's so bad.

What's the deal with level syncing in old dungeons and stuff? It's fucking awful. It's the only thing in the game I've absolutely hated so far. I love joining a random dungeon in the duty finder and then finding most of my skills are locked so I get to spend half an hour cycling through two my first two skills over and over. It's so bad.
Because making sure a level 70 person can enjoy a level 16 dungeon seems to barely qualify as something worth spending time.

But on the same token people forget when you first did those dungeons those skills are also all you had. I can't blame them for not doing much to change that though because the only solution is to let high level people use all their high level skills while the actual level 16 tank is using all 5 of their skills.

Gator86

Because making sure a level 70 person can enjoy a level 16 dungeon seems to barely qualify as something worth spending time.

But on the same token people forget when you first did those dungeons those skills are also all you had. I can't blame them for not doing much to change that though because the only solution is to let high level people use all their high level skills while the actual level 16 tank is using all 5 of their skills.

I get the star reduction and stuff so people can't just roll over low-level content and ruin it for people doing it for the first time, but the skills thing seems dumb and pointless. It just makes the game less fun for no reason.

Reknoc

I get the star reduction and stuff so people can't just roll over low-level content and ruin it for people doing it for the first time, but the skills thing seems dumb and pointless. It just makes the game less fun for no reason.

Keeping your skills would do exactly the same thing regardless of stat decreases.

Keeping your skills would do exactly the same thing regardless of stat decreases.

They could have some "potency sync" system or whatever where your higher skills do less damage, so that it's technically the same damage, just that you can have fun pressing more buttons. Getting synced on certain classes is horrible because you literally have nothing to do. PLD or BLM is like 3buttons play, it's really aggravating.

They said they're gonna make the dungeons faster instead which sounds like a band aid fix tbh. It's the same issue when you get lvl 50-54 dungeons or whatever and you're missing a bunch of your nice skills.

ebil

Getting synced in Aurum Vale on SMN today was really fun. I don't know what I preferred: having all of four DPS buttons or spamming Ruin 1 most of the time in AOE situations. When the tank expressed his appreciation that I LB the trash, I answered, with a hint of sadness, "I did this so I could say I helped!".

They could have some "potency sync" system or whatever where your higher skills do less damage, so that it's technically the same damage, just that you can have fun pressing more buttons. Getting synced on certain classes is horrible because you literally have nothing to do. PLD or BLM is like 3buttons play, it's really aggravating.

They said they're gonna make the dungeons faster instead which sounds like a band aid fix tbh. It's the same issue when you get lvl 50-54 dungeons or whatever and you're missing a bunch of your nice skills.

Not taking away any skills and just reducing their potency in lower-level content would probably be possible, but it would require a lot more individualized work with each job and dungeon than the current sync system to make sure everything works. Considering people are continually unhappy about the potency balancing of level cap skills, there's a lot of ways trying to do something like that could go wrong.

Perfec7_

Neo Member
Anyone in a cool FC or Linkshell in Primal > Malboro? Looking to make some friends and have a good time. Pretty new to the game (level 56 currently on my first and only character), but I'm learning fast.

I'm currently in a FC now but they don't ever talk or do anything with each other it seems. Name in game is Caya Yivree. Thanks!

Kent

If they didn't do this, they'd end up with the same syncing problem that WildStar does - except exacerbated, because FFXIV's systems are less-tuned toward dealing with this sort of thing.

For reference, in WildStar, they have a level sync feature, that syncs your level and stats to that of the dungeon you join. However, you get to keep all of your unlocked actions, tier bonuses and AMPs (which are ability-specific upgrades and the equivalent of a talent tree, respectively). The result is, despite that your base numbers are scaled back, the additional functionality of your newer buttons and perks you have set puts you at a far-and-away clear advantage over other players.

At best this will make at-level players feel like they're bad at the game (especially if they're easily-disheartened newbies), when they're already disadvantaged by virtue of not being synced (as level sync basically always puts the synced player at the top of what they could have potentially achieved, gear-wise, at that level). At worst, it'll compromise general party mechanics due to fudging burst levels and enmity generation, and attempts to fix it will lead down a rabbit hole of excessive amounts of R&D necessary to actually make things feel fair-ish.

Considering that this is a team that's by-and-large allergic to making even minor systems adjustments, I would say this seems like an unlikely solution to this "problem."

They could do this or they could work new content which is what they're choosing to do instead. Is it annoying? Yeah, sometimes. Is it worth losing two patches worth of content while they take months trying to individually balance every job for every pre-70 dungeon? No.

Watcher

Anyone in a cool FC or Linkshell in Primal > Malboro? Looking to make some friends and have a good time. Pretty new to the game (level 56 currently on my first and only character), but I'm learning fast.

I'm currently in a FC now but they don't ever talk or do anything with each other it seems. Name in game is Caya Yivree. Thanks!

Im currently playing the trial version and im on Marlboro. If you dont mind being friends with an MMO noob we can play :v name is "the Pharoah"

They could do this or they could work new content which is what they're choosing to do instead. Is it annoying? Yeah, sometimes. Is it worth losing two patches worth of content while they take months trying to individually balance every job for every pre-70 dungeon? No.

They wouldn't have to balance everything, or anything really. Make it a linear percentage reduction based on the level difference between the char and the skill. Will increase power levels to an extent for sure, but since they said they are looking into making the older dungeons faster, then they're already spending time on it anyway. Maybe you'd have to adjust the % for pre 50 and 51-59, but surely wouldn't be that long. Assuming classes are balanced at 70, a flat decrease in power will affect everyone equally even when lower synced. Chars that rely on damage skills that are high level would have to play differently since it wouldn't be efficient perhaps(thinking for example BLM Fire IV would probably be worse than Fire I spam+firestarter procs) but you still get all the utility skills that make the class more fun.

And I don't know if it's really a bad thing anyway if the 70 who got into a Totorak queue to help a bunch of new players does twice as much damage as them. Unless they start doing 5-10times more dmg, the dungeon isn't going to break, it'll just go faster. A lot of the low level dungeons already have fast fights anyway if people are pressing the right buttons and have at level gear.

There are already a ton of players who are bad at their roles; it would get much worse if people get super-carried through dungeons by lv. 70 players. The trade-off for the relative boredom is the tome bonus.

An option to set a minimum level for level roulette might be good though.

Zomba13

Still new to the game and was planning to recreate a character on a legacy server. Does today's update mean I shouldn't even bother trying the late night registration thing for servers marked with an X?

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

If so, how long does it usually take for these restrictions to get lifted?

The servers open and close character creation every couple of hours except on certain worlds.

eliza0224

Been healing with a controller since 2.0 and I had no problems doing AS during HW. You can definitely work the party list with some D-pad practice.
Can you give me some tips? I usually focus target on the tank and DPS a bit until I can heal. On higher level content I guess there will be more healing, less dpsing!

Hot tip for 8-man content: whatever happens its the other healers fault
Lol. When I get there I'll definitely do that!

There are already a ton of players who are bad at their roles; it would get much worse if people get super-carried through dungeons by lv. 70 players. The trade-off for the relative boredom is the tome bonus.

An option to set a minimum level for level roulette might be good though.

This would just mean that it's set to the highest possible, making queues for lower dungeons a lot worse.

I mean ultimately I don't care that much it's just something that's always anoying, getting dungeons under 40 where you're missing key class traits and skills and stuff and it just feels bad to play.

Another thing that they definitely should spend some ressources on is fixing Castrum. Scrap the whole thing and remake it a solo instance, much shorter, with some NPCs. They have some basic AI functionality and did basically that in SB MSQ, just use the castrum assets, make it short(the cutscenes alone make it long anyway). I was in a FC with a lot of new players when I server transferred and everyday there would be 2-3 ppl complaining about that dungeon still. It's just terrible, it's right when the vanilla story gets not shit after having been mostly shit for the entire time, and it's ruined by those poor design decisions from 4years ago. It's ressources "wasted" on old content but it's old content every single new player is forced into(unless they story skip pot) and probably is the source of people quitting on its own.

Ruff

Bought a house! I'm more excited about furnishing it while leveling up my craftings ATM then doing any actual story/fighting.

but geez, some of this stuff is so expensive in the market rip me.

Can you give me some tips? I usually focus target on the tank and DPS a bit until I can heal. On higher level content I guess there will be more healing, less dpsing!

Lol. When I get there I'll definitely do that!

I know a lot of ASTs swear by Noct stance now but for dungeons and shit I prefer Diurnal since I can i can aspcted benefic HoT for fluff damage while I combust+malefic spam. In regards to targeting, I've just got the muscle memory for up+down scrolling through the party list. You'll get it eventually.

Croc

Banned
okay this may be a stupid question but is there a way to set button combinations for a hotbar? I'm wanting to use one of my extra mouse buttons as a trigger for my second hotbar but whenever I try to set it it just sets the shortcut as only that mouse button itself instead of that button + the num keys.

Bought a house! I'm more excited about furnishing it while leveling up my craftings ATM then doing any actual story/fighting.

but geez, some of this stuff is so expensive in the market rip me.

Congrats! Definitely be prepared to spend a whole lot of gil on your house if you want to go all in on furnishing it and making sure it looks nice, it's a real money sink but I also think that decorating a house is one of the more satisfying things in the game.

okay this may be a stupid question but is there a way to set button combinations for a hotbar? I'm wanting to use one of my extra mouse buttons as a trigger for my second hotbar but whenever I try to set it it just sets the shortcut as only that mouse button itself instead of that button + the num keys.

The only way you can do that is by making it so your mouse button does the same as Ctrl, Alt or Shift, then bind your stuff to these+numbers. There's very few games that let you bind a combination of 2 buttons that are not one of these modifiers, like I can't even think of one(I'm sure they exist, just it's not a common thing at all).

Oh and today I saw a player flying on a Whisper (my avatar), from Yo-kai Watch.

I RAN TO THE INTERNET ONLY TO FIND THIS

From July to October 2016

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/special/2016/youkai-watch/

EDnuF2z.gif

what macros? the only macro you should have as a bard is for Nature's Minne and Palisade and those are just Target of Target macros. Anything else will feel clunky in terms of gameplay since macros skills gets rid of the skill queing system.

Also in terms of basics all you have to know is

1) only pitch perfect at 3 stacks, so you can wait to here the SFX. The only exceptions to this rule is if you have a sch/drg and battle lit + chain strat is up. The other is when Wanderer's is about to end because it would be wasted procs

2) always use up bloodletter during Mage's ballad. So you can just mash that button during GCDs since its a OGCD. No looking required. The exception is obvious when it comes to min-maxing.

3) Army Paeon has no proc system.

So the only real proc you have to know for basic bard is Ref. Arrow. Just make a separate hotbar, put that one button and blow that icon super big to however you like.

O and song rotation. It should be mostly WM->MB->AP in 30/30/20 intervals. So the only one you have to eyeball is Army's and even then its pretty lenient for basic bard. So you could leave it longer if you want, its not that big of a deal.
I'm still level 41, I haven't unlocked all the actions and stuff.

But so far I have a fewmacros, like Misery's End and Bloodletter before every attack. Not having to worry about those two moves is already a huge plus.

I was trying to make a macro for Mage's Ballad > Misery > Blood > Poison > Wind but I couldn't figure out how, the macro kept repeating Poison and never activated Wind. Apparently it's not possible because Poison and Wind have the same cooldown time.

Croc

Banned
The only way you can do that is by making it so your mouse button does the same as Ctrl, Alt or Shift, then bind your stuff to these+numbers. There's very few games that let you bind a combination of 2 buttons that are not one of these modifiers, like I can't even think of one(I'm sure they exist, just it's not a common thing at all).

gotcha, thanks for the tip!

But so far I have a fewmacros, like Misery's End and Bloodletter before every attack. Not having to worry about those two moves is already a huge plus.

I was trying to make a macro for Mage's Ballad > Misery > Blood > Poison > Wind but I couldn't figure out how, the macro kept repeating Poison and never activated Wind. Apparently it's not possible because Poison and Wind have the same cooldown time.
I really wouldn't do that lol thats basically one of the worst macros you can do.

Guess Who

Banned

Learn to play the job properly. Making macros like this is a bad idea for reasons that will only become clearer the more you level.

Why? I checked some guides and they all had Misery and Blood.
Disregard any guide that tells you to use macros on weaponskills. The only abilities that you should be macroing are ground targeted abilities and certain abilities like Paean because otherwise you'll do considerably less damage over the course of fights as macros cant be queued and you'll start losing GCD time big time.

kierwynn

Why? I checked some guides and they all had Misery and Blood.

It was a really popular thing to do back in early ARR, but since then people have realized the way the game queues up macroed abilities makes macroing things like that a dps loss in the end I believe. I'm surprised people are suggesting that now adays tho it's been years since people realized that stuff. lol

Top Bottom