• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire tops 20 million downloads

HeelPower

They went CRAZY with the ads. There's like 5 different ads that incessantly play.

They didn't do a 1/10 of that marketing for the actual full thing that cost millions and took years to make.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That's fucking disgusting.

They went CRAZY with the ads. There's like 5 different ads that incessantly play.

They didn't do a 1/10 of that marketing for the actual full thing that cost millions and took years to make.

This is a Game of War clone. It makes sense that they'd follow the insane advertising formula they had for that one.

Gotta pay up to drag in the sickos who pay for this tripe.

Akzel

Are they saying how many deleted it after an hour? I tried to play it and nope that game .. I just can't

Are they saying how many deleted it after an hour? I tried to play it and nope that game .. I just can't

There are charts that track iOS games by revenue. last i checked it was usually in the top 30 in the US and Japan.

I dont know how much money you have to make to achieve that type of ranking, but i'd imagine its alot if SE continues this crazy marketing train.

HeelPower

This is a Game of War clone. It makes sense that they'd follow the insane advertising formula they had for that one.

Gotta pay up to drag in the sickos who pay for this tripe.

One of the ads actually has gyroscopic aiming on top of a chocobo.

They put a alot of effort into it.lol

Jonnax

Got many more adverts for this than any other square game.

Edit:
LOl, check this advert out on Neogaf:
A0LluMN.jpg

Ok GAF, for real.

I have clicked the icon "Stop seeing this ad" and selected "irrelevant" and "repetitive" a few dozen times for this game and Wings of Discord and they. are. not. going. away.

I have zero, and I do mean ZERO problems with ads on Youtube as long as they are relevant to me and at least varied in some way.

How the hell do I influence the algorithm to shape up and fuck off?

Lol yeah, the ads have been so aggressive. Like, AGGRESSIVE aggressive.

Mortemis

Banned
Imagine how 3-4x the people will consider this to be FFXV compared to the real thing.

When people wanna feel nostalgic about FFXV in the future, they'll remind themselves of all the money they spent playing a new empire.

FF debates online will be all about which mobile game was better.

Isotropy

On the one hand, that’s just fucking depressing.

On the other hand, will it teach Square how to actually market their games?

At one point I had to stop using Youtube as much as I did because just knowing that the ad that was going to pop up was for this piece of shit game was too much for me

anothertech

This kind of bullshit should not be labeled as a ‘game’

We should call it somthing else, like pachinko, or gacha timesink or somthing to make it clear these shitstain apps aren’t mixed into the gaming mindshare.

The success of these kinds of apps is appalling and makes no sense.

Their shitty barely legal business model works. Game of War, Mobile Strike and this are so exploitative and falsely represented in advertising that this company alone should be argument for more regulation of game apps.

These games are seriously all just WarCraft 2 but with every timed thing stretched to the limit from unit movements, building, upgrading and making more units able to be sped up with money to make you throw money into an endless cycle of bullshit. It's so fucking gross.

Having "played" and regrettably spent money on this pile of shit I agree with all of this. I got suckered into it from another game and the advertising which made it look like it had a tower defense component which it doesn't outside some mini game buried away in the menu section that I think you can only play once a day and only probably exist so they can get around a false advertising claim.

These games are just pissing contests in a virtual arms race of whoever is willing to waste the most money to be the biggest bully/bullies on their realm... Until a realm merge and force everyone to start up again and if you're not you're basically at the mercy of those who will, in turn applying pressure to get you to spend more on top of nearly every screen in this "game" having high pressure advertising for their $5, $20 and worst, $100 (as all are after you spend the first $5 and $20) "bundles" that quickly lose their already non-existent value due to some massive diminishing returns to try and set you up to buy the next ones for another $100.

I imagine Machine Zone created a front with "Epic Action LLC" when they put this game up for download to try and skirt around some red flag from Google and Apple. I know at least in the case of Google they've had a lot of complaints and if you mention "Mobile Strike" to Google's support they'll flat out tell you that if they can't refund your money to dispute the charge with your bank/credit card to get your money back though I have a feeling your chances of succeeding are low unless it involved an unauthorized purchase.

Mantrox

That's about how many times i had to press the "Skip Ad" button for a month...

I allways like to see a good developer make some dosh though.

Ydelnae

I saw Hajime Tabata at a grocery store in Tokyo yesterday. I told him how cool it was to meet him in person, but I didn’t want to be a douche and bother him and ask him for new game content or anything.
He said, “Final Fantasy XV: A New Empire is available to download now”
I was taken aback, and all I could say was “Huh?” but he kept cutting me off and going “huh? huh? huh?” and closing his hand shut in front of my face. I walked away and continued with my shopping, and I heard him chuckle as I walked off. When I came to pay for my stuff up front I saw him trying to walk out the doors with like fifteen Cup Noodles in his hands without paying.

ffvorax

I actually tried it when it came out... not my genre, I find boring as all the other similar games that already exist on phones....

lyrick

Imagine spending hundreds of dollars on a mobile gacha game.

Been casually "playing" since launch. Many of the people that at the higher ranks have spent thousands. Sometimes dropping a thousand in a single day depending on the in game event.

Also there's not a whole lot of gatcha elements to the game outside of some avatar pic possibilities. The game is very clear with it's pricing $5 (once) -> $20 (once) -> $100 (forever?) and what come with the purchase (essentially shit to level up and make timers go faster).

It's a shit game, but it's not a gatcha.

Genio88

Final Fantasy XVI Smartphone exclusive confirmed, thanks god i just bought an iPhone 8 Plus, that A11 Fusion will run it 4k 120fps

I see the ad 70% of the time on YouTube. Some are pretty good (the VR Chocobo one was dope). Played it for about a month then got unhooked when 2 of the clans I was in just completely dissolved. Can only really focus on one mobile game at a time. For me that remains KHUX.

johnny956

I play it from time to time. There are several in my guild who have purchased the $5 then $25 add ons. It goes to $99 after that which I haven’t heard anyone purchase yet. Not sure how that pricing makes sense, really going after the whales I guess

The largest domestic taxi company in Taiwan has a great app that I use to call up taxis (taxis here are super cheap). I like it because it’s super fast and convenient and I can pinpoint my location accurately to call a taxi to me because it uses Google Maps...

But before I can get my taxi I have to sit through an ad for this that asks be to drag a fortification over to the building spot.

Fuck this game.

Top Bottom