• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Demo Previews/Impressions Thread

Falk

that puzzling face
Man, this was mind-blowing for its time. FFVII/VIII actually were the first games with "Uncharted-like", playable set pieces, right?

Honestly speaking, you'd probably be able to find stuff earlier on. Also highly depends whether you're counting 2D games.

Falk

that puzzling face
Just says code expiry daye date of 20th March 2016. Thanks for the info chaps.

Technically if you have Type-0 before the 17th it's because street date got broken, so the information provided on the paper isn't incomplete.

Technically.

!!

Koozek

Honestly speaking, you'd probably be able to find stuff earlier on. Also highly depends whether you're counting 2D games.

Hmm, I can't remember any 3D game doing it before FFVII, right now. When it comes to 2D do you mean Sonic (though I hardly recall specific scenes, just some faint memories of scenes where a lot of things crumble and fall apart while you're speeding past them) or Super Metroid's escape scenes?

Lol, this is wonderful.

Pre FF13 games were all on PS2 and PS1...
Of course tastes change given how much innovations has happened since within the game industry.

You really can't blame fans of FF to expect something more from the game given the series' history of pushing the boundary of what's possible with the medium.
Many examples of which were given in the posts above.

SE only has themselves to blame for falling behind of the curve. GTA3 was released in 2001, same year as FFX. Skyrim was released in 2011.

10 years went by without major change their interpretation of RPG.
This new entry lacks vision, and it is a question if the game can compare to the standards set by highly matured open world games such as GTA.

In fact, even the RPG genre itself has evolved in areas such as quest/character progression and combat. Going by the information that has been shown thus far, not only does the current combat system compare poorly both in its action and strategic gameplay, the game seems to have failed to innovate on the staples set by the series itself.

There are surely a large number of fans who care little more than that the game is actually coming out, and that may be all that matters.

Pretty sure Nomura had a crazy vision in his mind for what it was supposed to be and Tabata is doing his best to fulfill said vision. I highly doubt it's trying to compete with the high standards of open world games set by GTA: rather, it's embracing the love of open world games the industry is enamored with while maintaining Final Fantasy sensibilities.

To me at least, FFXV's "Open World" is essentially a modern/proportional take on the old "Over World/World Map" I don't think Noct and company will be stealing cars, shooting up densely populated areas, and pick-pocketing merchants a la GTA and Skyrim. Both of which are the quality of open world you are comparing FFXV too. That's not what it's going for.

From what I've seen and read I have the feeling FFXV is just trying to create a world that people just want to explore. Reclaim that sense of "Oh! whats beyond that horizon!" or "What's this off the beaten path" that many of the older Final Fantasy games had. Example: you never had to visit Gongaga in FFVII or Centra Ruins in FFVIII, but you were compelled to explore them just because you see it and are curious to see what's inside.

Is there any reason why Type-0 HD still has no trophy list on NA PSN? No idea if it has on EU but in the case of NA, it is not only missing from store, there is no trophy list. I have earned like 10-15 trophies so far and yet have no idea what I did to earn half of them.

The Order 1886 trophy list was already up before the official release. So is Battlefield Hardline.

Demo doesn't go live until Tuesday or Friday depending on location
And when psn store updates
Judging from the Xbox Store pre-load for Demo (which also lists the size), I am sure that the demo is already on the server for Xbox Live and maybe PSN EU, but not for NA PSN.

P.S Sorry for the DP

Is there any reason why Type-0 HD still has no trophy list on NA PSN? No idea if it has on EU but in the case of NA, it is not only missing from store, there is no trophy list. I have earned like 10-15 trophies so far and yet have no idea what I did to earn half of them.
Are you enjoying the game :)?

Man, this was mind-blowing for its time. FFVII/VIII actually were the first games with "Uncharted-like", playable set pieces, right?

Probably not, but I do think that FF was probably amongst the first to truly blend in cinematic moments with the game to make them somewhat playable.

I feel like Siege of Dollet's opening sequence ( where the cinematics cut to gameplay immediately as your SEED group come out of the ship ), and the last parts where you were escaping the Spider Tank, where they tried to blend the set-piece moments with Squall having to escape the tank, while the tank was chasing you in-game.

Are you enjoying the game :)?
Plenty :)

Once the OT goes up, I will post a detailed impression.

So far, I think gameplay is fun. Camera is not really the best and easily the a weak part of the gameplay, so I cannot imagine how it would have been in the PSP version. There is a whole lot to do and since this is more of a mission based FF, the story progression is different. The game is also not easy, and I am playing on the normal difficulty.

I love the interaction between the characters. The localization is actually pretty decent. Since you can select Eng/Jap audio, you can stick with what you prefer. We can also explore the academy and it is fun to do so, as it explains some of the back story of characters as well.

If Tabata makes a Type-1 aimed at consoles, it would be an epic game for sure.

The Order 1886 trophy list was already up before the official release. So is Battlefield Hardline.

So you earn the thophies but you don't have a list to check for them? That's weird.

Randy

Just had the chance to play it. This is really something else than your 'normal' Final Fantasy. It did hower live up to my expectations. Gorgeous graphics (though some aliasing and framedrops), some of the best (if not the best) animations in the business and everything else (music, voices, world,...) screams high production values.

The combat is a lot deeper than I expected too.

Koozek

Just had the chance to play it. This is really something else than your 'normal' Final Fantasy. It did hower live up to my expectations. Gorgeous graphics (though some aliasing and framedrops), some of the best (if not the best) animations in the business and everything else (music, voices, world,...) screams high production values.

Nice!

sn00zer

Could you explain a bit more?

How does combat feel or compared to?

Extremely Hype w0ot!

Koozek

I wonder if the FFXV dev team throws an all black release party, too, after the game's gone gold, like the FFVI staff :D

634ZmE5.jpg

raven777

9fJ343l.jpg

I think Nomura has been changing quite a bit over the years. He has been gaining/losing weight and look different lot of the time.

KoopaTheCasual

I love that this is the consensus. Music to my ears!

Peterpan

Well aside from the western RPGs (i should take that back and explain i was talking about japanese ones), it seems one of the few to actually push for an effectively working IA (both enemies and allies), NPCs in towns that have routines and specific animations instead of standing there like mannequins (like most Jrpgs), a battle system that is action, fast but is still grounded to physics and animations (unlike Kingdom Hearts or Tales), and a lot of interaction between elements (co-op attacks, parries and free-climbing), as well as dynamic blending of gameplay and cinematic elements. Plus of course the huge world is a giant feat by itself.

I mean, if this isn't trying something new then i don't know what it is.
The world is amazing, I mean really impressive especially for me as I love the little details and this game is riddled with them. Me and my brother were watching trailers earlier and seeing giants in real time in the world of Final Fantasy was something of wonder. The way the characters interact with the world is amazing. It makes me want to explore every inch of this amazing world which has been carefully crafted to make it really come to life. Nothing new in my opinion, just done really well.

This will all be for naught if the battle system is as shallow as it looks. Every Final Fantasy since 12 has been a step back in terms of the battle system. Why the hell can't I change my character at all, why the hell can't I change my AI partners routine to get better strategies I mean I don't remember how it worked in 12 been so long but I remember switching AI character routine for battles against bosses to be more effective. I remember switching to different characters because I felt I needed a different approach with a boss, which I felt the AI partner were not capable of approaching it the way I thought was needed, now it's even worse I can't switch my characters routine at all or switch to them. I don't care how good the AI is, they will mess up especially on the strategy front unless they can read my mind. Forget the strategy point of view I want to be a Mage or summoner or gunner, instead of a swordsman all the time. Magic seems to be out, but have to wait and see on that one. The interaction elements seem like a main draw, when they should be a supplementary elements not main draws, they should be built on a strong battle system. That is my view on it. Square doesn't get it.

The list isn't up officially anywhere. The trophy sync gets broken when trying to...sync.

Can confirm Region 2 has the same issue.

raven777

The world is amazing, I mean really impressive especially for me as I love the little details and this game is riddled with them. Me and my brother were watching trailers earlier and seeing giants in real time in the world of Final Fantasy was something of wonder. The way the characters interact with the world is amazing. It makes me want to explore every inch of this amazing world which has been carefully crafted to make it really come to life. Nothing new in my opinion, just done really well.

This will all be for naught if the battle system is as shallow as it looks. Every Final Fantasy since 12 has been a step back in terms of the battle system. Why the hell can't I change my character at all, why the hell can't I change my AI partners routine to get better strategies I mean I don't remember how it worked in 12 been so long but I remember switching AI character routine for battles against bosses to be more effective. I remember switching to different characters because I felt I needed a different approach with a boss, which I felt the AI partner were not capable of approaching it the way I thought was needed, now it's even worse I can't switch my characters routine at all or switch to them. I don't care how good the AI is, they will mess up especially on the strategy front unless they can read my mind. Forget the strategy point of view I want to be a Mage or summoner or gunner, instead of a swordsman all the time. Magic seems to be out, but have to wait and see on that one. The interaction elements seem like a main draw, when they should be a supplementary elements not main draws, they should be built on a strong battle system. That is my view on it. Square doesn't get it.

Giving specific instructions to your AI partners will be in the final game. Also magic as well.

Koozek

Btw, has there been any news about SE's newly founded studio for a console RPG? They were looking for experience with Unity, so maybe that was about Mevius, though I doubt that, as that must have been in work for a while already at that point.
SE working with Unity will help them A LOT. Their president recently confirmed that they want to have much more multi-platform games in the future. Unity makes porting between mobile and console pretty easy.

EDIT: Ugh, the new Official PlayStation Magazine still uses the old cast render with Prompto's E3 design for their big cover story. They should really update that one, I still see it in a lot of news articles.

Philippo

How can you say it looks shallow if you don't even know what it's about? Both Magic and Gambits (or at least an evolved version of it, based on many more variables like distance from the enemy etc.) are in the full game (not in the demo because they're still working on both).
Also, basically everyone who tried it praised the combat system for not only being fun, but a lot deeper than expected (same goes for AI).

KoopaTheCasual

Both of these are in, tho. But yea, it's a shame they couldn't get character switching to work. They openly admitted to not getting it to work, so they had to cut it.

sn00zer

Both of these are in, tho. But yea, it's a shame they couldn't get character switching to work. They openly admitted to not getting it to work, so they had to cut it.

I get the feeling FFXV is going to be pretty good, but FFXV-2 is going to be amazing as they will have had more time to figure out issues.

Peterpan

How can you say it looks shallow if you don't even know what it's about? Both Magic and Gambits (or at least an evolved version of it, based on many more variables like distance from the enemy etc.) are in the full game (not in the demo because they're still working on both).
Also, basically everyone who tried it praised the combat system for not only being fun, but a lot deeper than expected (same goes for AI).
It looks shallow, I am going off what I have seen. AI routine is in the final game,as the poster above corrected me and Magic which I have not seen. I also hope summons are in the final game. I would also hope switching characters is in the final game, but that is out of the question. I haven't played it yet, so when I try it out my impressions will change of course for better or worse. I'm judging based off the videos I have watched, which are a lot.

Top Bottom