• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV EGX Livestream

Status
Not open for further replies.
XIV's OST is so good. Particularly amazing how often you hear some of those songs if you stick w/ it.

"I Am the Sea" (Limsa's theme) is still what I associate w/ the game.

What's on the XIV disc for XV?

Does anybody know what Gladiolus' "exploring the wild" skill actually does?

CtN2iFQVIAEIDKa.jpg

We've seen Noctis fishing, Prompto taking pics, Ignis cooking food but Gladio? Is it just building the tents? That's a kinda lame skill compared to the others...
Exploring the wild sounds a bit more active. The skill pics of the character are also showing Noctis fishing, Prompto taking pictures, Ignis cooking and Gladio seems to be not building a tent but climbing:

29632487030_b018b86e38_o.jpg
I thought just walking around or rather"hiking" was how you raised gladios skill..I could be wrong tho

CtN2iFQVIAEIDKa.jpg

We've seen Noctis fishing, Prompto taking pics, Ignis cooking food but Gladio? Is it just building the tents? That's a kinda lame skill compared to the others...
Exploring the wild sounds a bit more active. The skill pics of the character are also showing Noctis fishing, Prompto taking pictures, Ignis cooking and Gladio seems to be not building a tent but climbing:

Likely means discovering new landmarks?

MilkBeard

Just watched the recording for Sunday's stream. Combat looks really good. Can't wait to dig in, do a lot of customization and exploration. The moment when they walked onto the beach, it gave me an old-school JRPG feel.

There are some minor glitches with camera, animation and a few visual glitches. I hope some of that improves. Otherwise, I think what was shown today in the stream actually looks quite good graphically.

It's true though that playing the game on Pro will be sweet.

KupoNut

Wonder if they can improve the hair aliasing and indoor camera (super wonky when entering/leaving the restaurant/shop) on such a short notice. Regalia customizing is sweet and they should've shown that off much earlier.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
It'd be nice if everybody in team Noctis can wear a hat.

to hide the hair dithering/aliasing.

Hair dithering is something that won't be solved without a high IQ level and aggressive levels of AA, something FF15 will not have on base PS4 and definitely not XB1.

my guess is they will use a very basic FXAA method for both consoles, which, combined with the variable res, will make the game look very soft but also pixelated. Of course since PS4 is 1080p a lot of the time, it should look decent compared to 720p+ XB1

Wvrs

Really enjoyed this gameplay footage, mechanically it looks solid, I can see myself having fun with it. I just hope the story is up to scratch, or I'll lose interest.

CtN2iFQVIAEIDKa.jpg

I figured it was finding points of interest, like dungeons or magic spots.

Mediking

Code:
[IMG]https://j.gifs.com/0Rx3vN.gif[/IMG]

Best outfit for Noctis has been found. Actually managed to surpass the default outfit. Ignis = his suit. I will change Gladio's trash outfit immediately. Prompto's clothes will also be changed immediately. All the clothing options I've seen for Prompto so far have been terrible...

Exentryk

31Ar6R.gif

Enemies that don't casually telegraph their attack for a whole second and wait for you to predict what's about to happen isn't even common in a more hardcore action game with a great combat system. Ninja Gaiden and NG2 basically requires you to constantly block, move, and jump around because the enemy attacks are too quick for you to just sit around and try to see what they're going to do next. It's not a bad design simply because your preference lies elsewhere.

Telegraph time depends on how fast and responsive the combat system is. That game looks like is very responsive, cancellable and fast. FFXV is a slow mess.

Generally speaking, if an action game doesn't give any indication on when an enemy is going to attack and if there isn't sufficient time for the player to react, then it results in unfair and unsatisfactory feelings among players. If you're meant to dodge or block attacks, but can't tell when damage is coming, then you can't really dodge or block attacks.
This is just bad lazy design. Even good action games might have enemies with poorly designed attacks. It doesn't make it good design.

This build was probably from the verison we were supposed to be getting in a matter of days. The game was supposed to be released this week. All of the marketing and universe media was put into place to build hype for September 30th.

What happens now? The games hype just trails off for 2 months?

wmlk

Someone made this skill tree info page:

http://cl4rke.github.io/ffxv/ascension.html

Is this complete? Don't think so, right? Hollie was saying that it expands as you get new abilities I think. Even if it's not the case, that's some confirmation that there's more than what we can initially see.

Also, regarding those dumb crabs, there's Knightsguard in the game to mitigate that kind of damage. In Duscae, it looked OP, so maybe that comes with an MP cost.

wmlk

This build was probably from the verison we were supposed to be getting in a matter of days. The game was supposed to be released this week. All of the marketing and universe media was put into place to build hype for September 30th.

If they were smart, they would have some sort of presence at PGW. Maybe we'll hear plans from Tabata later this week at the ATR.

If this is all we can expect, it seems pretty disappointing. This is a skill tree comparable in size to something like the Arkham games or Deus Ex – much less than I expect from a mainline FF game.

Hopefully it expands as the story progresses, as others have suggested.

I don't think they would intentionally leave half of the grid unused. Then they would be pointing out their own problem, if it really did only have those skills.

If they were smart, they would have some sort of presence at PGW. Maybe we'll hear plans from Tabata later this week at the ATR.
I say focus on optimization at this point no need for an all new build at the they've showed enough ppl have played a hoo amount,previews are on their side for now. Just fix those bugs up and get ready to release

wmlk

I say focus on optimization at this point no need for an all new build at the they've showed enough ppl have played a hoo amount,previews are on their side for now. Just fix those bugs up and get ready to release

At the very least, they will have to show off the Pro version sooner rather than later.

Mediking

Keep optimizing, don't let nothing get spoiled, and make sure the story isn't a disaster.

Exentryk

Is this complete? Don't think so, right? Hollie was saying that it expands as you get new abilities I think. Even if it's not the case, that's some confirmation that there's more than what we can initially see.

Also, regarding those dumb crabs, there's Knightsguard in the game to mitigate that kind of damage. In Duscae, it looked OP, so maybe that comes with an MP cost.

There weren't many abilities from what we saw in the Skill Tree video. Unless it expands later, this will be it.

And yeah, Knightsguard is perfect for this game. I know I'm harsh on this game, but it's more coz I wanted it to be better. Still, the average player won't be as critical, and I feel people will generally enjoy the combat. Let's see how it reviews, not that I care for reviews.

If this is all we can expect, it seems pretty disappointing. This is a skill tree comparable in size to something like the Arkham games or Deus Ex – much less than I expect from a mainline FF game.

Hopefully it expands as the story progresses, as others have suggested.

Yeah, it would be nice if it expands later. But it's probably best to go in with the expectation that it won't.

.JayZii

Banned

They will probably go dark for October. And they should so they can finish the game, which was the reason for the delay after all. Then they'll hit the marketing hard for November.

Gbraga

I'm assuming this is basically the airstep sword/shuriken directional modifier but for any weapon?

That's kind of cool, but I wonder how they'll make it so these weapons don't have their unique ability rendered useless once you unlock this.

If I can just keep spamming helm breaker with the Greatsword using Airdance, that might be too OP.

wmlk

I'm assuming this is basically the airstep sword/shuriken directional modifier but for any weapon?

That's kind of cool, but I wonder how they'll make it so these weapons don't have their unique ability rendered useless once you unlock this.

If I can just keep spamming helm breaker with the Greatsword using Airdance, that might be too OP.

I highlight doubt you'll be able to do this with a Greatsword.

This probably replaces the Airstep Sword and we can use weapons of the same class, like the Engine Sword, and have the same ability.

No idea what it means for the Shuriken, though. But that thing had the ability to stagger the Iron Giant. It also fires unmissable projectiles from long range.

Exentryk

Airdance is basically the flicks you can do in air. In PD, you could only airstep once and had to alternate it with attacks to continue airstepping. Gif below shows this in action. So with airdance, you just avoid the need to do an attack in between and can chain multiple airsteps together. It still consumes MP though.

giphy.gif

It's no different than how it worked in PD when using a Greatsword in air. Since it is a slow weapon, you lose more airtime, and might need a couple of airsteps to get back high enough to perform another attack with the Greatsword. I think the MP consumption from two airteps will not be reasonably offset with one Greatsword swing. Still, it'll be worth playing around and testing.

Gbraga

This probably replaces the Airstep Sword and we can use weapons of the same class, like the Engine Sword, and have the same ability.

No idea what it means for the Shuriken, though. But that thing had the ability to stagger the Iron Giant. It also fires unmissable projectiles from long range.

It makes sense, but still feels weird to me that they'd dedicate a major branch of the skill tree only to make other weapons from the same class work like the one that already does this by default.

It's no different than how it worked in PD when using a Greatsword in air. Since it is a slow weapon, you lose more airtime, and might need a couple of airsteps to get back high enough to perform another attack with the Greatsword. I think the MP consumption from two airteps will be be reasonable offset with one Greatsword swing. Still, it'll be worth playing around and testing.

At least in the Platinum Demo, a swing from the Greatsword definitely gave you more MP than the cost of an airstep. I believe each airstep cost 10MP, and the helm breaker gave you 13MP.

Only thing messing up that perfect airdance+ shuriken combo is even throwing the shuriken uses mp so even if the air dodging doesn't anymore you can't stay airborne

Exentryk

At least in the Platinum Demo, a swing from the Greatsword definitely gave you more MP than the cost of an airstep. I believe each airstep cost 10MP, and the helm breaker gave you 13MP.

Can't recall the exact numbers, but it seems about right. Should be interesting to mess around with it. We might be able to find another weapon that recovers MP, but isn't as slow as the Greatsword. There is potential.

JBwB

Oddly enough the weapons types I'm most curious about are the Guns & Machinery. They could make for some interesting playstyles.

Exentryk

I am also keen on gun weapons. There might be some easy cheesing/broken strats with shooting from afar and just recovering MP via cover from nearby spots.

It's coming right at you. What are you expecting, a present?

Haha, yup. That's Hollie just being bad :p

I am also keen on gun weapons. There might be some easy cheesing/broken strats with shooting from afar and just recovering MP via cover from nearby spots.

Haha, yup. That's Hollie just being bad :p
O I'm counting on this for enemies I don't wanna fuck with(for instance the naga's)

Falk

that puzzling face
With a faster weapon and/or hitting the attack button earlier you prooobably could flinch it, but I'd take that kind of rush (well, rush as much as a crab can manage, at least) as a tell as much as a Magitek troop bearing down at you shrieking with his faceplate off.

edit: Also FWIW, I feel like the parry prompt really is a visual indicator for the parry window. Many of them are so short you really need to have been ready prior, so the way it's presented (seemingly as a reaction-style "press this button!@!!" prompt as opposed to simply a timing window indicator) is a little unintuitive when you dig past the surface. Going back to the Magitek troop example, that's really what it was. Deadeye's tell was similar, although much, much shorter but that split second extra makes the parry doable, rather than requiring inhuman reflexes.

Not that Deadeye seemed to be fine-tuned or designed for anything enjoyable rather than being a meatshield to show off the Duscae summon, mind you

.JayZii

Banned
I'm pretty sure their pool opens up more the later half of the game. Seems weird to leave half of the circle empty.
It would be very strange graphic design choice if they don't get more abilities. Yes, they are each a quarter of a circle, but each of their own individual circles have a lot of empty space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom