• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV - Everything you need to know from the event

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'd say it's more part of a global postmodern condition. A lot of our media mixes deep complex issues with an ironic self-awareness, the defining trait of postmodernism, and there's no form of media that's more inherently postmodern than videogames. It's probably more obvious in anime or games as they are relatively newer artforms, but a lot of our most prominent contemporary media balances serious issues with goofiness from Pynchon to Star Wars, for two examples.

I see what you're saying and I find that interesting to wrap my mind around.... but I think it's incorrect.

FFXV is not a product of self-reflective Millennial irony. It's not from the same pool of conscious irony, remixing of ideas and self-conscious in-jokes as stuff like Deadpool, Undertale or The Force Awakens (i.e. "What if there were a Vader fanboy who had issues with the previous generation?").

It's actually kind of regressive in the Japanese context. It's another anime-style property that doesn't think to divide between serious/goofy or modern/classic, because it reflects a lack of division between these things in Japanese pop culture mediums. That we think they are inappropriate juxtapositions is our bias coming from a different cultural tradition.

When you have a jRPG that consciously makes fun of jRPGs or anime, then I will agree with you that it has been inducted into the ironic too-clever, post-modern Millennial hall of fame.

synce

Why does everyone look the same in the Kingslave poster? Same with the main game. The amount of homogeneity in FF15's character design is astounding.

Why does everyone look the same in the Kingslave poster? Same with the main game. The amount of homogeneity in FF15's character design is astounding.

You have to dress in all black and use copious amounts of hairspray to hang with this king.

35s47o2.jpg

1-?
2-?
3-?
4-?
5-Noctis's crew
6-?
7-?
8-?
9-Arachne
10-?
11-?
12-Leviathan
13-?
14-?
15-Titan
16-Odin
17?
18-?

wmlk

Have they explained why the characters look so different in the movie? It's really jarring.

They look better in the movie.

They're trying to draw in a different audience to buy into the FFXV universe. It's simple and makes sense if you look at it from SE's perspective.

The same reason we have an anime as well.

Bennettt2

I hope they release the trailer music. Was epic!

edit: did anyone else enjoy the fact that the lyrics of "stand by me" begin with 'when the night has come', possibly alluding to the word Noct, meaning night? not sure if it is intentional but it's nice nonetheless.

Falk

that puzzling face
I hope they release the trailer music. Was epic!

edit: did anyone else enjoy the fact that the lyrics of "stand by me" begin with 'when the night has come', possibly alluding to the word Noct, meaning night? not sure if it is intentional but it's nice nonetheless.

The night has come and so have I

Quocia

Neo Member
This is because they are pushing the light-hearted tone harder in FFXV. It's part of their vision. They don't just want to create a serious story with some occasional humor, but a road trip experience that feels as believable as possible. It's not just the story, but the entire gameplay that is designed around that vision. Afterall, in previous FFs, you don't spend most of your time in a car full of features (radio, flying, automatic driving, etc) neither. The camping, the constant character dialogue, the food, even the kind of mini-games shown so far, they all contribute to express that vision.

This is the thing that I like the most about what this game is turning into so far. All FFs usually have a lot of juxtaposition, but it's somehwat random. FFXV, however, seems like it wants to stick more cohesively to its themes.

I also like it, it helps building the characters. There was a reason for that, but sometimes it felt like FFXIII was taking itself too seriously

KeRaSh

I'm really excited to find out more about Ardyn Izunia. I think his character design is great. I really hope he turns into a good guy or at least neutral in the end.

Bennettt2

I'm really excited to find out more about Ardyn Izunia. I think his character design is great. I really hope he turns into a good guy or at least neutral in the end.

i have a gut feeling he'll be a good guy. completely baseless but that's what i'm foreseeing. that or he will be part of the "brutal scene" Tabata mentioned.

KeRaSh

i have a gut feeling he'll be a good guy. completely baseless but that's what i'm foreseeing. that or he will be part of the "brutal scene" Tabata mentioned.

I could totally see both scenarios happening (mutually exclusive) judging by the vibe I get from his character from the few short snippets we got from him. The fact that it's not 100% clear what his character really is like makes him so much more interesting compared to a 100% good guy or 100% bad guy.

BasilZero

I am gonna skip out on the collector's edition (oh its sold out so I guess xD)

Will get deluxe edition if I can ;o!

Also anyone know if the new demo is limited time or will it be available even after April?

Ydelnae

From the Playstation Access interview:

-Weapons can have status effects
-There are moogles in the game
-There aren't any tomberi in the game
-There are no load times neither while driving nor flying the world
-The selection of Final Fantasy songs for the car radio is diverse, but they haven't decided yet if it includes songs from every game.
-New Game + confirmed.
-He can't answer who the female character with the motorbike is in the Kingsglaive trailer but she will play a certain role in the story.
-His favorite FFXV song is Gratia Mundi
jk, he doesn't know the titles yet
-The mobile game connects to the main game and you are supposed to play it on short bursts while completing FFXV.
-Final Fantasy XV needs to sell 10M copies to be a success bs
-The old man in the japanese trailer was Cid
-You'll get the ability to train and feed Chocobos so they help you reach secret areas, discover secrets and stuff.

That's it, I might have missed something since the translator spoke too low.

That's what Tabata said so who knows.. Wizard magic.

Same way it's possible in other open worlds that feature no loads? It works fine in Xenoblade Chronicles X and GTA5, and probably some others I'm forgetting.

But the game has loads across the areas, it's not open world like GTA V for example.

Just Cause tech expect 15 FPS :p. I'm half joking btw.

I hope not =(

Edit:
I guess they'll have you go through small areas like tunnels until the next zone loads.

This could be it.

Dame

They're probably not making a ton of money on those, given the statue is likely a huge part of that expense, and there's only 30k of them in the first place.

Certainly not a ton of money, no, but they had to justify the $270 cost with something, and I doubt they would've ben incentivized to go a cheaper route with the CE. That's still a good profit which goes toward their first million out of ten. I wonder what their other strategies are, as I'm sure they will find a way to diversify.

cscatracho

Neo Member
Has anyone who had the chance to secure a collector's edition preorder still having any trouble with email confirmations?

My brother ordered his but he received no email, but his credit card was charged the preorder fee. He foolishly did not write the order number down when the site completed his order. There is also no history of the order under his account. Its very weird.

Its also been days since submitting a support ticket and there is no response from their support.

Very odd

MogCakes

I preordered the deluxe edition. I think $270 for a couple extra DLC stuff, a statue, art book and a selection of OST tracks isn't worth it - I can rationalize the ~$100 price tag of the deluxe with Kingsglaive being an overpriced blu-ray movie.

Top Bottom