• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XV Multiplayer Expansion - First Look + Closed Beta August 3rd

Do you think we will be able to play as female characters in multiplayer?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Nah I'm just happy to know you're not going blind :)
giphy.gif

Whew! I'm glad too! My parents need their glasses all the time cause of eyesight issues so I'm worried I'm next!

Sorry if I came across like a moron. I'm not too good with social stuff.

LordKasual

Banned
To name examples of games that do a much better job at emulating the look, The Order, Horizon Zero Dawn, Uncharted 4, Witcher 3 on PC, ACU sans the LOD glitch, Battlefront and BF1, and ME:A on PC.[/SPOILER]

Those games just have infinitely better IQ than FFXV does. Whether that's because of content or better programming is anyone's educated guess. Yeah, they look ridiculous.

I would contend that it was an ugly film compared to some others at the time and hasn't aged well at all but still. Video games aren't there yet. Let alone a game that isn't exactly an exemplary example of skin shading.
And seriously don't get me started on the way eyes look...
When people say this, i never really know what they're referring to. Like in those threads where people claim that no game has touched Toy Story 1 yet when Toy Story 1, all things considered, looked like shit compared to most modern AAA games.

It's more that they have a better workflow for real-time visuals compared to back then when they were testing the waters of what's feasible with CGI outside of small video game cutscenes. Still the CGI result is better looking. See the comparison above.

No. FFXV is just using more sophisticated techniques than advent children did. Plain and simple. It's obvious.

Whether you chock it up to workflow or ignorance, the result is the same. If you would then say that they could have achieved the same if they knew what they know now, then I would say "yes, obviously" and then ask what the point of this argument even is lol.

Not just the hair but also pretty much everything else. The textures on the outfits. Yes, skin. ABSOLUTELY lighting and PP as FFXV doesn't even have realtime GI...

XV doesn't have realtime GI, hell most console games don't, why the hell would you waste the massive resources when you can just bake it.

Advent Children's lighting is better from the perspective of rendering -- worse by application. XV's lighting is far more natural and realistic than Advent Children, even at its most jaggy and dithered. Again, this is just a difference in technique and knowledge.

And sorry, but XV has a better application of GI in realtime than Advent Children has in its entirety. I don't know how you can possibly look at the AC and say otherwise, nevermind the fact that the movie's palette is almost exclusively grey, brown and orange.

Come on dude you know the game doesn't look like that. I even said above that the year that scene was shown was when the game had CGI like visuals.

No, the GAME doesn't look like that. But there are plenty of screenshots that display how good the game can look in this very thread.

I already conceded that the game in realtime can't really contend with ACs image quality...on console.

A PC version of XV, however, would easily shit all over Advent Children. And I stand by that 100%. I'm talking single graphics card rigs.

I'm 100% sure the lack of finite skin detail is a stylistic choice instead of a technical one. As the only time they deviated from that was with this game specifically. As they did, (and still do), the same for KH CGI every Final Fantasy. You look at Lightning and any character from FFXII and they still have very little realistic detail.

How could you possibly be 100% sure of such a thing when nobody would have complained about it in 2005?

Again, this isn't a result of style. It's just technique. FF characters were never realized quite to the degree that they were when Advent Children was released, and we see that in modern times, they've gone the "FFXV" route in terms of detail.

cloud-strife-in-final-fantasy-vii-remake-trailer.png

It's technique. Advent Children was just more basic rendering.

fFWjxea.png

Comparing Industrial Light & Magic and its $230,000,000 budget to FFXV

Oh come on man. Putting budget, and also the fact that this is composite footage aside, this is also a vast difference in technique that games are only recently starting to tap into.

ILM's job is to make convincing CGI that blends seamlessly into live-action footage. The modern techniques employed in games like U4, HZD and FFXV are pretty much required to get a believable picture weaved into footage like that.

You should use a full-CG (or near full) movie for comparison.

Any modern engine can produce CGI level visuals in incredibly limited scenarios. And that trailer was real time. And although it looked REALLY good. It still quite clearly was a video game. Now if FFXV still looked like that, we'd be having a different discussion.

It's not even matching ten year old CGI....Davy Jones was shown a year after Advent Children. I should note, I'm definitely not saying the game is bad looking. Just that it doesn't look like CGI. A lot of what you guys are talking about is more down to preferring the art direction.

Dude, there is no CG that exists that is indistinguishable from real life right now. And comparing a fully rendered 3D game (or CG) environment to composite CGI footage from a live action movie isn't really proving anything.

My point is, you need to define what level of CG you're talking about. And we should probably define "looks better than" as well.

Image quality? Not likely that a game is going to have that beat, it's just not feasible in realtime.

Realism? Lighting? In my opinion, older CG has long since been beat by this generation of games.

Especially when you consider we're talking about movies that dedicated minutes-to-hours per frame of rendering, vs. engines that spit out 30-to-60 frames per second, in a playable environment.

Guys lets talk about the beta like my fellow GAFer above me said!

Anyways are any of you guys gonna try the next update when it releases for the beta?

theofficefan99

The only thing I agree with the XV-looks-like-CG crowd is that Advent Children did age horribly. I thought it stopped looking good years ago. I honestly prefer FFX's CGI over AC's. It's too plastic-y and it doesn't look good in motion.

So like, i havent managed to even join with anyone so far. Tried so many times.

I give up.

I did find some odd LOD issues as i played the starting area with Cor though

Koozek

Tried it out two days ago but could only play with AI chars. Today match-making hasn't worked yet either. I've just created a camp for the first mission on the Niflheim servers with the ID 7777, but it's not finding anyone :( Anyone here wanna try out joining?

And yeah, combat feels somehow snappier, but guarding doesn't feel as responsive because it takes time for the shield to build up. The magic mechanic technically would be better than in the main game, but currently its audiovisual feedback is way too weak.

The female characters look so cool. Hell, most custom characters I've seen look better than the main cast :D The character creator is really nice.

How have they not thought of having an option to cancel the match searching process if it's not reacting anymore? Why do I have to quit the game from the PS4 menu?

How have they not thought of having an option to cancel the match searching process if it's not reacting anymore? Why do I have to quit the game from the PS4 menu?

suspend the game by opening something like "trim" on one of your videos. go back to the game and connection will be gone. :D

Samus4145

How do you start a mission? I've tried quick play and custom and both try and search for players and doesn't find anyone so I can't start. Can't I play on my own or anything?

Keinning

Can't I play on my own or anything?

On the full release? Yes. In the beta? "no", the option for solo is not avaliable, but if you create your custom room and the game fails to matchmake you sometimes it will fill it with AI partners

but the servers are bonkers right now so good luck getting to the camp

JSoup

Banned
Played a little. Seems like it will be pretty fun once it's more stable.
That marlboro sleeve is pretty boss.

Koozek

Okay, finally got a match for the mission where you have to protect the hut from enemy waves. Not gonna lie, the Iron Giant fight was quite tense. We were all low on HP in the end and had to revive each other without dying too. There's potential for fun battles here of they further fixed some of the flaws of the main game like the random enemy attack patterns and animations, and the wonky target system on bigger enemies with several targetable body parts. Hope the full version runs better and allows to roam the world freely too instead of just being mission-based.

LordKasual

Banned
And yeah, combat feels somehow snappier, but guarding doesn't feel as responsive because it takes time for the shield to build up. The magic mechanic technically would be better than in the main game, but currently its audiovisual feedback is way too weak.

It's a bit buggy at times. I've used magic and gotten zero sound feedback before.

The Fire looks kind of weak compared to in the main game, at least at these lower levels....the Lightning magic on the other hand is satisfying to use, especially with the Sigil that makes them use both hands to cast it.

The shock effect it leaves on the ground is neat, and it's pretty powerful

Okay, finally got a match for the mission where you have to protect the hut from enemy waves. Not gonna lie, the Iron Giant fight was quite tense. We were all low on HP in the end and had to revive each other without dying too. There's potential for fun battles here of they further fixed some of the flaws of the main game like the random enemy attack patterns and animations, and the wonky target system on bigger enemies with several targetable body parts. Hope the full version runs better and allows to roam the world freely too instead of just being mission-based.

This is hands down the biggest problem with FFXV's combat engine, along with the overly aggressive collision pushout. Every large enemy in the game suffers from this issue.

The interesting thing is, i don't remember it really being that big a deal in Episode Duscae / Platinum Demo. But the targeting + pushout makes fighting large enemies feel a bit less fluid than it should.

The targeting + pushout makes the Adamantoise fight damn near unplayable. And since neither issue was as aggressive in earlier builds of the game, something tells me it was a hotfix that was done before release.

Keinning

Hope the full version (...) allows to roam the world freely too instead of just being mission-based.

I don't believe this will be the case. Can't even think on how they would do it actually (not with these servers), it will probably still be mission based. Better to hope they can think of fun mission variations to keep the game fresh.

Koozek

It's a bit buggy at times. I've used magic and gotten zero sound feedback before.

The Fire looks kind of weak compared to in the main game, at least at these lower levels....the Lightning magic on the other hand is satisfying to use, especially with the Sigil that makes them use both hands to cast it.

The shock effect it leaves on the ground is neat, and it's pretty powerful

This is hands down the biggest problem with FFXV's combat engine, along with the overly aggressive collision pushout. Every large enemy in the game suffers from this issue.

The interesting thing is, i don't remember it really being that big a deal in Episode Duscae / Platinum Demo. But the targeting + pushout makes fighting large enemies feel a bit less fluid than it should.
Wait, how do you get other spells besides the default offensive and healing one?
I don't believe this will be the case. Can't even think on how they would do it actually (not with these servers), it will probably still be mission based. Better to hope they can think of fun mission variations to keep the game fresh.
Hm, maybe by just having you and your 3 partners in the world and not every player like usually in MMOs. Are there games that do this? Isn't GTA Online like that (though with a few more than 4 players simultaneously)?

benzy

You can already explore a pretty decent portion of the environment when you jump off the road into the wooded areas before the game tells you to return to the mission area.

Wait, how do you get other spells besides the default offensive and healing one?

Hm, maybe by just having you and your 3 partners in the world and not every player like usually in MMOs. Are there games that do this? Isn't GTA Online like that (though with a few more than 4 players simultaneously)?

You get weapon rewards after the first mission. Those have special magic spells, so equip them when youre back at camp.

LordKasual

Banned

Some of the weapons you obtain have passives that change your offensive spell when they're equipped. (press triangle in the menu to read them). There's a Katana that gives you Fire, and the Raiton Shuriken gives you Thundra.

The Oracle sigil will change your cure spell. There's another Sigil that changes your offensive spell and makes it more aggressive.

There's another Sigil that actually removes your healing spell, and replaces it with Aura, that consumes 100% of your MP but doubles your attack damage for the duration.

This game gives me serious PSO vibes, moreso even than most actual MMOs. The weapons all have varied effects that change your movesets. There's also clearly a (currently disabled) leveling system for gear too.

LordKasual

Banned
Dude, like. The changes that this system put forth would do so much for the actual game.

I don't care about anything they're working on right now, they need to "Zodiac Age" / "International Version" and roll these changes into the main game.

Along with a hard mode, maybe that implements the "rage mode" mechanic from Episode Gladio.

...and then let you switch between party members, and we full on gucci

Koozek

You can already explore a pretty decent portion of the environment when you jump off the road into the wooded areas before the game tells you to return to the mission area.

You get weapon rewards after the first mission. Those have special magic spells, so equip them when youre back at camp.

Some of the weapons you obtain have passives that change your offensive spell when they're equipped. (press triangle in the menu to read them). There's a Katana that gives you Fire, and the Raiton Shuriken gives you Thundra.

The Oracle sigil will change your cure spell. There's another Sigil that changes your offensive spell and makes it more aggressive.

There's another Sigil that actually removes your healing spell, and replaces it with Aura, that consumes 100% of your MP but doubles your attack damage for the duration.

This game gives me serious PSO vibes, moreso even than most actual MMOs. The weapons all have varied effects that change your movesets. There's also clearly a (currently disabled) leveling system for gear too.
Game crashed after the second quest, so I probably haven't seen those weapons yet^^

EDIT: Ah, just got the Katana with the Fire spell, whoop.

EDIT2: Noo, mission failed. Why does it throw you back to the title screen instead of letting you retry? :(

Asd202

Dude, like. The changes that this system put forth would do so much for the actual game.

I don't care about anything they're working on right now, they need to "Zodiac Age" / "International Version" and roll these changes into the main game.

Along with a hard mode, maybe that implements the "rage mode" mechanic from Episode Gladio.

...and then let you switch between party members, and we full on gucci

I seriously expect this to happen at some point. Maybe with PC version?

Why does my guy not look nearly as cool as any of Sunhi's or Benzy's pics/gifs? Dang.

Also I started spamming attacks to beat one of the monsters and suddenly fire magic started coming out instrad of ruin! I need to do that again!

Game crashed after the second quest, so I probably haven't seen those weapons yet^^

EDIT: Ah, just got the Katana with the Fire spell, whoop.

EDIT2: Noo, mission failed. Why does it throw you back to the title screen instead of letting you retry? :(

Because the dev team goal was to create the worst beta of all time.

HeeHo

Okay, I gave it another shot. My first impressions weren't that great, but I put a little more effort into my next try.

I tried to log in earlier but it kept giving me connection errors due to the traffic I'm assuming. When I finally got it to connect and gave it a more of an effort to learn, I actually really like this. There were smaller nuances I was missing before like being able to dodge with the left stick while using the Katana and the L2 + Square shield having deflective properties with the big Gladiator enemy. It made all the difference personally.

Hope this comes out sooner rather than later.

LordKasual

Banned

All this talk about CG graphics

All we need to do is hand in-game footage to Sunhi and let him work his voodoo. Indistinguishable.

I seriously expect this to happen at some point. Maybe with PC version?

I believed that this was the obvious conclusion to the "Episode X" DLC. Once they establish gameplay for all 3 of the bros, they could just roll in switching in some big future update.

As far as multiplayer goes though, I did not expect anything like what we've gotten here.

I didn't even expect weapon switching, to be honest. Let alone entire new gameplay systems.

The double cast sigil will be my go to. Full magic/shuriken build planned

My man. This is my plan as well, but with a katana as close-ranged supplement. The Comrades katana is probably my favorite weapon in the entire XV franchise as far as snap and animations go.

Hope the sigils go even deeper than this, would love to see a triplecast sigil or a sigil that upgrades your spells a tier or something. The reworked magic system is by far my favorite part, despite the (as Koozek mentioned) really underwhelming visual and auditory oomph. Feels nice to have cure and a slew of offensive spells tied to MP.

Probably too much to hope for a summoning system given the story of XV, aw well.

Toth

If I had to guess, I wager it will be something like this will be announced later this month:

a) a FFXV 'revamp' via a new hard mode / combat alterations / new magic system in September
b) FFXV multiplayer in October / November (for the one year anniversary?)
c) Episode Ignis in December
d) Announcement of a Season Pass 2 or expansion.

Again, just a guess based upon what I have been seeing SE doing lately.

sn00zer

So what is this talk of combat improvements? Been patiently waiting for FFXV single player to finish updating before starting.

I tried the beta for the first time today and wasn't able to find a single match. Quit.

Hopefully works better at a later time.
Use Custom when choosing a campsite. Don't do Quick Play or whatever it's called.
So what is this talk of combat improvements? Been patiently waiting for FFXV single player to finish updating before starting.
The combat seems to be a lot better than the base game. Some things were remapped. It's really nice!

They did make new animations and weapons for these avatars, but the animations were great in the single player already. It seems mostly the same to me, i've always been a big fan of the combat though.

If I had to guess, I wager it will be something like this will be announced later this month:

a) a FFXV 'revamp' via a new hard mode / combat alterations / new magic system in September
b) FFXV multiplayer in October / November (for the one year anniversary?)
c) Episode Ignis in December
d) Announcement of a Season Pass 2 or expansion.

Again, just a guess based upon what I have been seeing SE doing lately.

Personally, I'd like Episode Ignis and the Multiplayer Expansion to release the same week. Would be a great 1-2 punch to get people to play. :)

Top Bottom