• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XVI official screenshots + Blog Post

It's basically FF May Cry XVI, and it's sounding perfect so far, especially because they're going in a new direction -- every main Final Fantasy has always been new/different from what's come before it.

Then only thing I don't like is that the hard mode won't be available at the start, but hopefully this changes by the release date.

Kev Kev

It's basically FF May Cry XVI, and it's sounding perfect so far
im-confused.gif

its utterly baffling me to me that FF fans want this. they are turning FF into a AAA blockbuster action title. how is that a good thing?

Last edited:
its utterly baffling me to me that FF fans want this. they are turning FF into a AAA blockbuster action title. how is that a good thing?

I like Final Fantasy and I like Devil May Cry so I have zero issue with a FF action RPG with some of the combat mechanics of a Devil May Cry game.

Every main Final Fantasy has always delivered something different. And I believe big changes are necessary for all long running ips. Missteps can and will happen but it's better than developers showing no ambition and playing it safe.

mortal

Gold Member
im-confused.gif

FF fans are not a monolith. I'm excited about all of it so far and I'd consider myself a life long FF fan.
The games change with each new entry, and turn-based battles is not the defining trait of Final Fantasy games.
This is only the 3rd mainline FF entry to feature an action-based battle system. It's not the end of the world.
Besides, it's not as if Square Enix aren't still making more turn-based FF games.

Last edited:

Meicyn

Gold Member
How is it a bad thing? FF games have all sort of combat systems, why not something like this?

The strength of the series is how versatile it is.
Seriously. Final Fantasy has been a great many different things. It’s been turn based, it’s been strategy, it’s been MMO, it’s been semi-realtime, and it’s been action.

This whining and crying about Final Fantasy being a very specific thing is just weird. Like, no one gave a shit when Super Mario RPG came out despite Mario being a platforming series, people played it and it was great. The whopping ten people who owned a Sega Saturn didn’t care when Panzer Dragoon Saga came out and went from rail shooter series to cinematic RPG. Folks loved the turn based Yakuza Like A Dragon including myself, despite its roots as an action game. Warcraft. Metroid. Resident Evil. Christ, Star Wars games hit so many different genres. The list goes on of game series and franchises jumping between genres and evolving. Christ, God of War 2018 was a huge departure in format from its predecessors, and the overwhelming majority of gamers loved it. I am pumped for Ragnarok.

So Final Fantasy continues to evolve as it always has, and the negativity over it has some serious boomer energy. I mean, if folks are like “I don’t like action games” because they don’t like action games, that makes perfect sense. “This isn’t a real Final Fantasy” is some cornball nonsense.

Kev Kev

This whining and crying about Final Fantasy being a very specific thing is just weird.
people are allowed to have opinions without it being "whining and crying". ive been very opinionated on gaf in recent weeks but also understanding with other peoples preferences and point of views, and ultimately agreed to disagree without insulting them in the process.

Meicyn

Gold Member
people are allowed to have opinions without it being "whining and crying". ive been very opinionated on gaf in recent weeks but also understanding with other peoples preferences and point of views, and ultimately agreed to disagree without insulting them in the process.
You know what? That’s…fair. I’ll tone down the rhetoric. Kudos to you man for keeping it real.

Brock2621

from summer 2023 to summer 2024 is going to be EPIC for Final Fantasy fans. I'm SO stoked. I've committed to playing every single mainline FF game before XVI comes out and I'm currently on FFV Pixel Remaster about to finish it up and play VI (for the first time)

Teslerum

Basically it's not "anime" enough.

Automatic win for me. This looks WAY better than XV IMHO.
As previously mentioned, nonsensical argument to make too for two reasons.

- Original FF was inspired by Ultima and Wizardry to begin with
- Ivalice. And that should be enough said and eradicate that conversation.

It's one thing to say you prefer FF7 style. It's another to claim it's not FF. It is.
Considering Eidolon designs and other references it's more in line with old FF's even, not less.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Im glad they didnt go open world, i think them trying to figure out the open world really stifled ff versus 13 and xv, hopefully 7 rebirth will give us our open world ff fix though

Reactions: Akt

Teslerum

That's the most common misconception that has been propagated by people that want to justify those changes.

Final Fantasy has always been about turn-based combat.
From Final Fantasy 1 up to 13 it has always been turn-based.

Oh, this one has espers, this one has a job system, this one has materia, this one has sphere-grids, this one has three-character parties, this one you can swap characters during battle?
Whatever, it's turn-based. All that is just a different spice on top of the same idea.

Final Fantasy was never radical as people claim. It didn't went from RTS to turnbased to a first person shooter to a kart racing game.
It had simple variations of the same combat design philosophy (i.e. turn-based).
Anything ACTUALLY radical became a spin-off (i.e. tactics game, crystal chronicles, my life as a king, dissidia, chocobo's dungeon)

And then, on top of the combat it had great music, great characters, great story.
You can see that those people CARED about quality. They were not simply chasing numbers and market trends.

They were DEFINING market trends, which is what OTHER japanese companies are doing now (e.g. Nintendo, Capcom)
Square-Enix is just interested in numbers now. It doesn't matter if they have to kill Final Fantasy's identity and do something else entirely with it.

They only care about Final Fantasy as in name, because the name can be easily marketed. So, they can do whatever they want with the name without caring about what it used to represent.
Typical corporate way of thinking.

----

ATB games aren't based on turns, but on a timer. And XII was straight up RTWP.

Last edited:
That's the most common misconception that has been propagated by people that want to justify those changes.

Oh, this one has espers, this one has a job system, this one has materia, this one has sphere-grids, this one has three-character parties, this one you can swap characters during battle?
Whatever, it's turn-based. All that is just a different spice on top of the same idea.

Final Fantasy was never radical as people claim. It didn't went from RTS to turnbased to a first person shooter to a kart racing game.
It had simple variations of the same combat design philosophy (i.e. turn-based).
Anything ACTUALLY radical became a spin-off (i.e. tactics game, crystal chronicles, my life as a king, dissidia, chocobo's dungeon)

And then, on top of the combat it had great music, great characters, great story.
You can see that those people CARED about quality. They were not simply chasing numbers and market trends.

They were DEFINING market trends, which is what OTHER japanese companies are doing now (e.g. Nintendo, Capcom)
Square-Enix is just interested in numbers now. It doesn't matter if they have to kill Final Fantasy's identity and do something else entirely with it.

They only care about Final Fantasy as in name, because the name can be easily marketed. So, they can do whatever they want with the name without caring about what it used to represent.
To you maybe, turned based combat to me is what has always held the series back. Same goes for Persona or most JRPGs.

Proof of that is how good Final Fantasy Tactics is. I also liked the combat in FFVII Remake a lot more than what we had in the original, the combat in FFVII aged unbelievably bad while the story and the setting aged really well.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

I have my preferences here and there, but am ultimately open minded to anything as long as it's not an extreme change. What's most important is the developers have a clear vision from the get-go for a complete game nd smooth development rather than adding things just to please anyone (FF15) or running into engine issues (FF13). We haven't had smooth development in a long time with FF and it only really started to come back with the PS4 era (FF7R Reboot after moving to internal development & KH3 after moving to UE4). So it's nice to have the two teams set on exactly what they want to do with release windows.

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
----

ATB games aren't based on turns, but on a timer. And XII was straight up RTWP.
You have a point. Still, it didn't deviated too much from that after it became the norm (FF4 I believe?)
Plus, it was still kinda of a wait for your "turn" (atb gauge to fill up) before being able to perform an action.

To you maybe, turned based combat to me is what has always held the series back. Same goes for Persona or most JRPGs.

Proof of that is how good Final Fantasy Tactics is. I also liked the combat in FFVII Remake a lot more than what we had in the original, the combat in FFVII aged unbelievably bad while the story and the setting aged really well.
Well if it's your preference, I'll respect it.
But this talk of turn-based being outdated doesn't hold water. It's a different type of combat, not superior nor inferior.

That such a BS statement, its okay if you dont like turn based but turn based its just another form of combat system, some people love it (like me) some dont.
My statement is bullshit because you don't agree with it? I'm just ok with the series trying another direction, I think limiting the gameplay to turn based is mistake and looks like the devs agree with me.

To me JRPGs tend to fall in the same trap as MMOs do when they think there is just one way to do things, there is no law that says JRPGs need to have turn based combat, they were never about that, it was more of a limitation of the time of when they became popular.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
My statement is bullshit because you don't agree with it? I'm just ok with the series trying another direction, I think limiting the gameplay to turn based is mistake and looks like the devs agree with me.
I don’t have problem with FF going to action if that’s what they want but it doesn’t make Turn based combat inferior to action combat just because you personally don’t like turn based.

The reason I’m in to Dragon Quest and Megami/Persona series because it’s turn based combat system, I don’t want those series go same direction as Final Fantasy.

Last edited:

lyan

13 is basically an action game that has no movement and a stamina system that runs at 0.25x speed.
For me battle system of FFs are more on how they make different interpretations of active time battle, which does not directly mean turn based battle despite many past interpretations happened to have shared similar traits.

I'm curious on your thoughts on XIV, do you think its combat (GCD as ATB) fits a mainline Final Fantasy game?

OOGABOOGA

Banned
This looks lazy af. I would rather play FF12 for the 5th time than touching this the witcher 3 clone lmfao.

Square enix love to ignore their fans, don't they?
Like everybody hated FFXV combat system, instead of copy paste FF12 ATB system or the 7 remake, oh no let me use the same trash combat system of 15...
People complaining why can't we control the party of FFXV, now you will play without party!! Lmfao.
Those people at square are so fucking clueless.

This looks lazy af. I would rather play FF12 for the 5th time than touching this the witcher 3 clone lmfao.

Like everybody hated FFXV combat system, instead of copy paste FF12 ATB system or the 7 remake, oh no let me use the same trash combat system of 15...
People complaining why can't we control the party of FFXV, now you will play without party!! Lmfao.
Why the assumptions, unless you've already played it.

And since when has Square Enix copied and pasted anything from their previous main Final Fantasy titles, that was a completely unrealistic expectation.

Anyway, they have the Devil May Cry 5 combat designer/director on board, so I'm expecting combat (of XVI) to be levels above XV or The Witcher.

Last edited:

Caffeine

I think everything shown and said sounds and looks great so far. yoship and his team went wild with the 14 expansions. they are pretty good people. final fantasy always changes with each release idk why everyone is stuck in the past. it could be worse tbh.

Go_Ly_Dow

Witcher? How about, FF1-4, Berserk, Game of Thrones, Attack on Titan if you you like direct comparisons so much. Seems to be influenced by many things and then with it's own unique FF flavour cool with me.

Also quite hilarious you're knocking the combat system when you're a Devil May Cry fan. Check out who one of the combat lead's is for this game and then come back. :messenger_sunglasses:

OOGABOOGA

Banned
Witcher? How about, FF1-4, Berserk, Game of Thrones, Attack on Titan if you you like direct comparisons so much. Seems to be influenced by many things and then with it's own unique FF flavour cool with me.

Also quite hilarious you're knocking the combat system when you're a Devil May Cry fan. Check out who one of the combat lead's is for this game and then come back. :messenger_sunglasses:
when I buy Final Fantasy i want to play Final Fantasy not DMC lol

OOGABOOGA

Banned

Sure it was a bit different and they like to switch things, but it was always about being a tactical RPG, right until 13. that's why I felt in love with the series in the first place. New fans wouldn't understand that feel. Final fantasy was special and unique, but now it lost its uniqueness, it just looks like another generic western action rpg.

Last edited:

Rexket

Neo Member
Sure it was a bit different and they like to switch things, but it was always about being a tactical RPG, right until 13. that's why I felt in love with the series in the first place. New fans wouldn't understand that feel. Final fantasy was special and unique, but now it lost its uniqueness, it just looks like another generic western action rpg.
Very few of the older final fantasy games required tactical thinking to get through. Most of the time stats and abilities were skewed in your favor and bosses that required any thought would spell out exactly what you needed to do.

Caffeine

idk man, 13 was still pretty unique you had on the fly job shifting with the paradigm switching and it still had a gambit like system from 12 deep down in the party menu, the game is pretty tactical with out using the auto battle. 13-2 used monsters as a third party member and embraced a less linear leveling system that wasnt locked to story progression as 13 was. lightning returns combined like a dragon age 2 face button combat system with the dress sphere from x-2. even type-0 flipped the book when it came to combat. the unique-ness stopped with xv and just became a run of the mill hack and slash.
Anyway the only issue with 13 is it takes forever to get through the linear story progression where these systems really open up.

Go_Ly_Dow

Been with the series since the SNES days and if I want turnbased I just replay those games. This will be tactical action combat in which you'll need to likely switch your class, which is tied to the Eikons/Elements to defeat enemies. Its not action in the Dark Soul sense and looks very different to 15.

I very much disliked the 13 series and 15, thought they were absolutely awful. But can see 16 will be a cut above those games. Just like 14 and 7R were. Project execution seems on point as do the creatives in charge.

Willfully ignoring ATB change, Gambit RTS makes you look silly

OOGABOOGA

Banned
idk man, 13 was still pretty unique you had on the fly job shifting with the paradigm switching and it still had a gambit like system from 12 deep down in the party menu, the game is pretty tactical with out using the auto battle. 13-2 used monsters as a third party member and embraced a less linear leveling system that wasnt locked to story progression as 13 was. lightning returns combined like a dragon age 2 face button combat system with the dress sphere from x-2. even type-0 flipped the book when it came to combat. the unique-ness stopped with xv and just became a run of the mill hack and slash.
Anyway the only issue with 13 is it takes forever to get through the linear story progression where these systems really open up.
I really like FFXIII and I don't understand the hate, it's a good game imo. it's wasn't a great game by any means, but it was good enough for me, i am satisfied with it. addictive gameplay, great graphics, the cast is cool, this game has such a great character development, loved the characters design, loved the drips . LOVED THE FUTURISTIC THEME VERY MUCH ❤️. I don't think its problem was the linearity tho. FFX was too linear right until you get the airship and it's a great game. its problem was the lack of weapons and customizations and the story was mid, it was poorly written and directed. I beat the game 3 times already and I still don't understand the story that well. FFX story was way more complex, but it was well written and you will understand everything by the time you beat the game. I feel like people wouldn't hate XIII as much if Square didn't decide to milk it by releasing 2 unnecessary sequels. The story should have ended that way, it was a perfect ending.
XIII combat system is my third favorite in the series after XII and X, but i would still take it over this nonsense any day tho.

Very few of the older final fantasy games required tactical thinking to get through.
cut-it.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom