• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Poll: What Next-Gen Console Are You Buying (at or near launch)?

What Next-Gen Console are You Buying (at or near launch)?

• PS5 standard

Votes: 85 45.2%
  • PS5 digital

Votes: 29 15.4%
  • Xbox Series X

Votes: 26 13.8%
  • Xbox Series S

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both PS5 and XSX

Votes: 13 6.9%
  • Both PS5 and XSS

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Still undecided

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Nothing yet. I'm going to wait a year or two before picking one up.

Votes: 24 12.8%
  • None, ever.

Votes: 7 3.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Humdinger

Now that Sony and MS have had their final presentations, and we know prices, let's get one more poll. I promise this will be the last, or at least the last one I will post. I think it's worthwhile to get one more reading, because we have plenty of new info and a new console choice in the mix.

https%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F200723220901-20200723-20200723-ps5-xbox-series-x-main.jpg

If you're interested, here is how it lined up in previous polls.

Ratio of PS5 to XSX votes:

12/23/19, prior to any spec reveals: 2.25 to 1 (657 votes)

3/30/20, after both tech reveals, 11 days after Cerny's presentation): 2.22 to 1 (513 votes)

7/25/20, after both showcases, two days after MS's showcase: 3.35 to 1 (668 votes)

Last edited:

JimiNutz

Banned
I was really excited by new hardware and was considering buying both at launch but I still haven't seen anything from either console that has come anywhere near to blowing me away.
This has been the most disappointing lead up to a console launch that I can remember.

At the moment maybe a XSX just because it's so cheap but even then I may wait.

Admast79

Neo Member
To be honest?

It's not a next generation, it's more like lost generation.

Most titles without release date or earlier somewhere at 2021/2022.

They should wait with next gens for next year and release them more powerful.

Seriously, there is basically no freaking point to buy any of it right now.

Jokerevo

Banned
the new Nvidia cards convinced me that PC is worth an upgrade at some point. Ps5 disc is my launch option, day one Demon's souls are you kidding me?!?!

But is Bloodborne enhanced? Has to be right?

Airola

"None, ever" was my pick.

None of the games shown interested me at all. I was looking at that Spiderman game and though, ok, maybe I'd like to wander around in a city. Then the fight was shown and all interest dropped right there. I just do not understand modern gaming, especially what comes to combat. I guess they are trying to make it look "dynamic" or something but the camera moving around and special moves getting their own angles with all those effects is stupid.

The last time I got dragged back in to modern gaming after falling out was when I played Wii Sports. I wonder if I ever get dragged back in again and what it even could be.

Orta

Banned
That Demons Souls mic drop was something Sony fans should worry about. For PC owners there literally isn't a single reason to buy an Xbox and now it looks like more of Sony's stuff might be coming the way of Windows too. First HZD, now DS. If I was buying a console I'd be putting my pre-order on ice big time.

Agent X

I'm not going to bother with any of them at this time. I'll wait and see how things progress in the months ahead.

Tiamat2san

Both still i am not excited by new games but more by the fact that I will be playing the best versions of the last batch of current gen titles.

Last edited:
Interesting. PS5 49% physical, 13% digital. If this translates to the wider population then the death of physical is greatly exaggerated.

I'm definitely going physical on both consoles.

As an aside, Sony trolled all their fan boys by waiting until the last minute to reveal so many cross-gen games are coming to PS4. What happened to "we believe in generations?" 😉

ripeavocado

Banned
Nothing they are both awful deals: weak hardware and no next gen games.

I will re-evalutate in 1-2 years once we have seen some next gen games, so far we haven't seen any.

ripeavocado

Banned
if you buy Digital only you are literally giving away consumer power for few bucks and that you are going to pay back by buying more expensive games.

Don't be scammed, physical games are fundamental for consumers.

RGB'D

Neither. Everything I that falls into the "must play" category for me is also coming to PC.

Might even just say fuck it and get a 3090.
Thats where my mind is. 3090 here I come!! And my wife is getting her gaming PC from my old components (2080 TI). It's the Circle of Gear!

• Strength
Reactions: GHG

Humdinger

PS5 standard for me. Although I buy more than half my games digitally, I don't want to lose the option of physical.

As for the "games going to PC" thing, that would matter to me if I were a PC gamer, but I'm not. I prefer gaming on consoles, so console exclusivity is what matters to me.

PresetError

Neophyte
Somehow Sony has managed to put me off not because of the console or the games but its policies. I was PS5 day one (or maybe not day 1 but 2020 for sure) and now I don't see the point of getting a next gen console as bad policies is the main reason I don't even consider Xbox as an option. PC seems a better and better choice by the minute.

Humdinger

Ratio is 3.1 to 1 (PS to Xbox), though the vote count is much lower than previous polls, so I'm not sure it's representative of GAF. There were 3 polls all published at the same time, so that probably confused things and contributed to poll fatigue.

Ratio is 3.1 to 1 (PS to Xbox), though the vote count is much lower than previous polls, so I'm not sure it's representative of GAF. There were 3 polls all published at the same time, so that probably confused things and contributed to poll fatigue.

105 votes for PS5
24 votes for xbox

More like 4.3:1 if counting only those that buy one or the another

Last edited:

Humdinger

105 votes for PS5
24 votes for xbox

More like 4:1 if counting only those that buy one or the another

Right, but I always count the people who vote "both," because that gives you a more accurate figure than just looking at the one-console guys.

Btw, those numbers give a clue as to how low the turnout was. Surely a lot more than 105 people are getting a PS5 (or 115, if you count the "both" votes).

Last edited:
Top Bottom