• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Promise Story Trailer/Website (Image Epoch, PSP JRPG) [Update 2: Screenshots]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Update:
duckroll said:

Original Post:

I'll update this with information as it comes in.

finalpromise7t9i.png

duckroll said:
Tale of the Last Promise:
- PSP RPG
- Coming 28th April 2011
- 6279yen
- Character Designs by Chinatsu Kurahana
- Music by GainGauge
- Main character Wolf voiced by Hiroshi Kamiya
- Celes voiced by Yukari Tamura
- Rasudi voiced by Tatsuhisa Suzuki
- The enemies are emotionless mechanical soldiers

Screenshots:

TMhrj.jpg

QhSZS.jpg

XEipE.jpg

1KcKs.jpg

6PC8W.jpg

JyORR.jpg

wsJ7G.jpg

FbgyU.jpg

T6Dyh.jpg

BnPB1.jpg

imSpV.jpg

fogTZ.jpg

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Vanille said:
Completely unrelated to the Tales series.

I think he meant the Tale of the Last Promise game.

Bebpo

Banned
This looks amazingly generic :\ It's like Last Ranker without Niinou or the great Capcom art.

And why do all their psp 3d rpgs (Last Ranker, Fate, this) look the same? Big close-up anime characters, dramatic angle camera, one or two monsters only; it's just kind of boring to make everything so uniform. Their 2d stuff much more visually diverse. Luminous Arc, World Destruction, 7th Dragon and Criminal Girls all looks very different (although 7th Dragon/CG has some chibi crossover).

At least Black Rock Shooter looks interesting.

duckroll

Promo flier for the game below. The first press bonus (high quantity, not very limited) is a video preview of the game's artwork as well as a sneak peak at the BlackRockShooter game.

Dvlax.jpg

Takao

Banned
I liked TLR's art better, but this one ain't bad either. I hope NISA localizes this
before the PSP2 is out
!

Kyoufu

Please tell me the devs didn't try to be cool by naming their game after "FPS" and getting the 3 most common words for a JRPG, Final Promise Story. PLEASE! :(

TheChillyAcademic said:
If you had the ability to get through and enjoy XIII, I can't imagine this will be a problem :p

We've talked about this. I can't do first person battle systems. Only game I've ever been able to complete with one was Earthbound and I had to force myself to do it.

cosmicblizzard said:
We've talked about this. I can't do first person battle systems. Only game I've ever been able to complete with one was Earthbound and I had to force myself to do it.
Yeah it's quite the turn off for me as well, but if the game is decent I'll still try it. I'll just have to get through my distaste of the perspective.

Ravidrath

If Image Epoch wants to convince the world that JRPGs are still relevant, perhaps they should do things these instead of invoking some bizarre nationalistic gamer pride:

1. Make a game for a system other than the PSP
2. Learn to cut a gameplay trailer instead one full of anime cliche cinematics
3. Come up with something that doesn't appear to be wholly generic on its face​

Ravidrath said:
If Image Epoch wants to convince the world that JRPGs are still relevant, perhaps they should do things these instead of invoking some bizarre gamer nationalistic pride:

1. Make a game for a system other than the PSP
2. Learn to cut a gameplay trailer instead one full of cinematics
3. Come up with something that doesn't appear to be wholly generic on its face​

They've done more DS games than they have PSP games.

The only game of theirs I've played is Sands of Destruction on DS. I couldn't stand how utterly stereotypical their characters were and how completely out-of-whack the game's difficulty curve was. It was generally depressingly easy but would occasionally spike to ridiculously difficult.

What I've seen of Arc Rise Fantasia, their Wii game, looked as almost comical, and not intentionally.

Sega1991 said:

The only game of theirs I've played is Sands of Destruction on DS. I couldn't stand how utterly stereotypical their characters were and how completely out-of-whack the game's difficulty curve was. It was generally depressingly easy but would occasionally spike to ridiculously difficult.

What I've seen of Arc Rise Fantasia, their Wii game, looked as almost comical, and not intentionally.

ARF is a thousand times worse in terms of character cliches/stereotypes. The game itself is much better though.

Ravidrath

Sega1991 said:

My point wasn't about how many PSP games they've made - it was really just commentary on the worldwide relevance of the PSP.

The game would've been more relevant on just about any system than the PSP, including and probably especially the DS.

duckroll

Sega1991 said:

They've released 5 DS games and will likely not be releasing another one ever. On the other hand, they have released 3 PSP games recently, and have at least 2 more on the way. Another way to look at it is that they have 3 DS IPs, and 3 PSP IPs out right now. With 2 more new PSP IPs on the way. Niinou, the shining star of Imageepoch, has directed 1 DS game, and 1 PSP game so far, and he's directing another PSP game now.

mello

Imageepoch held a pre-release talk on Monday and shared some updates on the game:

->The game has some unique systems, making its difficulty high. Players will need to use a high level of strategy during combat.

->Mikage wanted to make an RPG as difficult as an 80s PC game. He wanted the game to be harder than any other RPG he's played recently.

->The game has an easy mode for beginners. Playing this will allow you to more easily progress if you'd like to experience the story.

->When playing normal difficulty mode, getting through the entire game with all your characters living will be difficult.

Regarding that last area, one of Final Promise Story's most unique systems is how it handles death. There are two types of death in battle. A character can become incapable of combatting (this would be like dying in other RPGs) or he can become Lost, meaning he's gone forever. The former type of death results when your character loses all his HP. The Lost type of death results when your character loses all his SP. You begin losing SP when you incur damage from enemies after your HP has dropped to zero. SP also depletes when you use special attacks.

Making a character be Lost can be part of your strategy. Just before becoming Lost, a character will perform a special self sacrifice move, which deals great damage to the enemies. When facing off against a powerful boss, sacrificing one of your characters is one possible strategy.

The special sacrifice move is known as "Miracle of Illia".

http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/04/19/imageepoch_rpgs/

Top Bottom