• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final PS Vita Renders

Hoping Sony still has the same great attitude towards providing tools for custom skins and themes.

But even if they don't, the GUI won't affect the games :)

v0yce

Barkley's Justice said:
sony is shit when they do software. which is weird because they never ask any of their internal studios to do their frontends. imagine if, i dont know, studio leeds did the ui? or if they contracted codemasters?

I actually think the XMB is really elegant and functional. I've never understood the complaints people have about it and I have no idea how this abomination of a UI got approval.

The shots of Vita with the screen off are amazing and then you see it turned on and its really jarring.

But it would be cool to see Wipeout esque menus and such.

Sye d'Burns

Barkley's Justice said:
sony is shit when they do software. which is weird because they never ask any of their internal studios to do their frontends. imagine if, i dont know, studio leeds did the ui? or if they contracted codemasters?

The XMB is a work of art. At least it was a work of art before they started putting a Store under every section. However, the browser (psp or ps3, taker your pick), shows as much artistic talent as Hitler at an Austrian arts festival.

That's right. I Godwin'd a browser.

Kuran

Banned
The UI isn't THAT bad, at least it seems to be very smooth and lag free.

I'm ok with the circles, but they need to learn from Apple on how to make beautiful iconography. The browser icon is a joke.

LuchaShaq

Banned
The fact the analog sticks are convex instead of concave significantly lowers any chance of me buying the system. Just can't think of any reason to ever make an analog stick that way.

Majine

Banned
Sylver said:
Something stupid but I'd love some model with the original playstation colors (or even with the PSOne colors) and the PS logo colored. Is something I missed with PSP, always logo is white or grey.
yVu4B.jpg

And the buttons with its colors too like dualshock:
wocjd.jpg

So obvious why tho.

apple_rainbow_logo.jpeg

p-18584.jpg

Yeah, the coloured PlayStation logo was so nice. Oh well.

I was kind of in two minds about Vita, but now I really want one. I agree about custom themes though, I hope we can apply some 'smart' ones to make it look a little less messy. Although I'd welcome a touch version of the XMB, myself.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I feel like the Vita is finally bringing back the Glory of the Playstation.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Glorious.

Day 1 type of beautiful hardware with no need to get the new revision unless something breaks.

Sign me the fuck up.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
Mik2121 said:
Holy shit.. those icons...

What the hell happened there? Did they hire a blind graphic artist or something? Or did they leave the UI up to the monkeys that have to update the store every week?

Jeez...
99 Designs.

Ozzykamikaze said:
I heard that the cable for this thing is proprietary and no longer mini usb, is that true? If so, that sucks big time.
not only is the cable proprietary,but if I understand it correctly, you don't even manage media and game from your pc screen. you will still use Vita screen to manage your media even though vita is connected to pc. maybe to make psp's copy and paste method harder.

ksimm

So beautiful. This was going to be a Christmas present, sadly denied by Sony. :[
The wait is painful, I just want to touch it.

Takao

Banned
Ozzykamikaze said:
I heard that the cable for this thing is proprietary and no longer mini usb, is that true? If so, that sucks big time.

It was true for PSPgo, it'll be true for Vita. Sony wants them royalty and accessory money.

xxczx

Takao said:
It was true for PSPgo, it'll be true for Vita. Sony wants them royalty and accessory money.
I just hope it isn't as short this time around, there is no way you could play on it while charging from a wall socket unless you're sitting right next to it.

prowler_ said:
I just hope it isn't as short this time around, there is no way you could play on it while charging from a wall socket unless you're sitting right next to it.

I tried asking Yoshida but he never answered. I hope it's as long as the original PSP cable.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
patsu said:
VERY disappointed by the look and feel. Sony poured so much money into Vita, and yet they allow this to become their UI. It completely destroys the h/w guy's carefully thought out design effort.

The button graphics are amateurish. The bar on top is too cluttered and too small to use. The layout is random with zero high level concept. The color scheme is uncoordinated. It looks like it's designed by someone who absolutely hates Sony and want to make fun of the company. Either that or the design team can't agree on _anything_ and decide to throw in one idea each and mesh it together.
There is actually a different view you can select for the main menu, however. It uses vertical strips instead of circular icons. I saw that demonstrated in one of the videos, but I'm unable to locate it at the moment.

Sony knows how to make some attractive handheld hardware, that is for sure. I remember being in love with the PSP at launch and I don't think things will be any different for the Vita.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
prowler_ said:
Not that the UI pains me like some here (without even having hands on time) but the alternate strip mode or whatever its called looks cool. From a functionality standpoint, it sounds very promising. And going by the impressions from people who have actually tried the thing, it's going to be great.

But let's discuss how leap froggish and bad (?) it looks?

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Everything but those icons look great, those are pretty fugly compared to the hardware and also the existing PS3 XMB.

dark10x said:
There is actually a different view you can select for the main menu, however. It uses vertical strips instead of circular icons. I saw that demonstrated in one of the videos, but I'm unable to locate it at the moment.
As far as I'm aware, the vertical strip menu only shows the programs that're currently running, while the bubble menu shows everything available.

What Sony needs to do is change the bubbles into a hex-grid. It'd be the best touch device UI ever.

LiquidMetal14

CorrisD said:
Everything but those icons look great, those are pretty fugly compared to the hardware and also the existing PS3 XMB.
But for a portable they make more sense. It's one of them things that will be forgotten quickly once everyone has their hands on it and is just enjoying the SW.

Link Man

Banned
Ozzykamikaze said:
Yeah, I noticed this when looking at the port, and almost commented, but I believe that the cable is packed in with the unit (in Japan, at least). Still, that sucks for the secondhand market.

Mastperf

So, hypothetically speaking, if someone wanted to kidnap someone from Sony in order to ransom them back for a Vita, who would you guys choose...hypothetically?

LiquidMetal14

Link Man said:
Yeah, I noticed this when looking at the port, and almost commented, but I believe that the cable is packed in with the unit (in Japan, at least). Still, that sucks for the secondhand market.
A small bother really as I can only hope second hand VITA's will all have that cable that will likely come with every new purchase.

rvy said:
It's a shame they will get all scratched and stuff, it's a slick looking console.

Get a case and it should be fine. To be fair, I chuck mine in a drawer every night and its not got a mark on it :)

matmanx1

Crazymoogle said:
Yes, SIM is almost-always replaceable. However, whether the PSV 3G can be imported safely or not depends on whether it's using 1900MHz UMTS-HSPA or 2GHz WCMDA...

Yes I sort of wonder how Sony is going to handle the 3G hardware side of things due to the differences in 3G network infrastructure worldwide. Probably safest to assume at this point that each region's 3G model will only work on 3G networks within that region until proven otherwise.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
rvy said:
It's a shame they will get all scratched and stuff, it's a slick looking console.
Depends on the material used. I suppose I wouldn't expect the highest quality surface, but I can say that the front and back of my phone (only use a bumper) have never been placed in a case despite spending so much time in my pocket and it remains unscratched. If Sony uses a capacitive touch screen, hopefully the surface will be made of durable material.

DuendeSmoker

Neo Member
rvy said:

My new motto is invisible shield all the things. My old PSP would have thanked me if I thought like that earlier.

SSJ1Goku

Banned
I don't know why people are bitching about the UI. Sony probably plans on selling custom UIs anyway. Just like their PS3 themes and stuff.

Top Bottom