• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cosmozone

Just came to me... the name could be also written as 'V' as in '5'. Still doesn't quite save it.

NeoGAF seems to have recovered. But the thread isn't that long anyway, is it? There weren't that many views either.

PhoenixDark said:
http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/3667/fotr02507tf.jpg
"Lolz NDA expires today. Thursdayton? Wait..."

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/7312/fotr02519mt.jpg
"WTF bastard?!"

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/6320/fotr02523hy.jpg
"Read it, read it. Nintendo am droppen bombs, believe!"

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8166/fotr02569es.jpg
"One console to rule them all...Nintendo Wii...Own 360 and PS3..."

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/1695/fotr02534gy.jpg
"Nintendo Wii...April Fools?"

http://img123.imageshack.us/img123/3969/fotr02486xm.jpg
"OMFG"

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/7561/fotr15498nz.jpg
"Wii am doomed"

As always, perfectly captures the discussion!

:lol

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
Before I came to GAF, I hated the name. I wanted to kick the next ipod owner I saw square in the nuts. After reading all the bitching here, I realised that I was blowing things way out of proportion and that its not that bad.

It's better than "Gamecube." It's better than "Xbox" and no where near as insulting as "Xbox 360." It has a very trendy, ipod like style to it. Had Apple released a product with this name, no one would think twice about it. It's very non-Nintendo, and doesn't fit their image at all... Which I guess is a good thing.

Glass Joe

i'm intrigued by the system, but as a nintendo fan (since the NES days), right now my head hurts...

STICK WITH REVOLUTION IN THE ENGLISH TERRITORIES NINTENDO!!

Ben Sones

elostyle said:
The name will be perfectly fine in a week's time.

I mean: Playstation, XBox.... come on.

You know what? It totally won't. I mean, obviously it's just a name, and even the lamest name in the universe wouldn't stop me from buying a game system. But likewise, familiarity is never going to make me stop snickering everytime I say "Wii."

And as far as the "Xbox and PlayStation are gay names, too!" comments go: just cut it out. Yes, PlayStation is a gay name, and Xbox is worse. But on the grand 1-10 scale of gayness, Xbox and Playstation rate about a 6 and a 7, respectively, and "Wii" rates about a 70.

Chrono

Banned
At E3 a journalist should ask shiggy/iwata if they're aware what wee means in english. :lol

oh man, I can't feel bad about this. IT'S TOO FUNNY!!! I connected to teh net this noon and went straight to matt's blog... I thought he was giving a HINT of the name - that it was wi[something]i... :lol

JJConrad said:
Before I came to GAF, I hated the name. I wanted to kick the next ipod owner I saw square in the nuts. After reading all the bitching here, I realised that I was blowing things way out of proportion and that its not that bad.

It's better than "Gamecube." It's better than "Xbox" and no where near as insulting as "Xbox 360." It has a very trendy, ipod like style to it. Had Apple released a product with this name, no one would think twice about it. It's very non-Nintendo, and doesn't fit their image at all... Which I guess is a good thing.

This is probably true.

G4life98

the problem with this name is that i could see it working fine in japan, but in NA and europei it will have a mostly negative impact, especially when it comes to mindshare.

and yes its worse than 360 (as unimaginative as it is) ...it invokes an instant "wtf" reaction and more often than not its very negative.

to put it simply...
196.jpg

"Worst name ever"....:)

Saoh

Twilight Rockstar THURSDAYTON am real total! :lol

Wii love you Twlight Rockstar!

38cc.gif

"Weeeeeeeeee"

I kid ;). im an Ntard and the Wii trailer won my herat, but i still have Revolution burned on my brain :)

I really hope Nintendo doesnt use the name for its games. "Mario Kart Wii" :lol

StRaNgE

Banned
true story

i have an 8 year old son who LOVES Nintendo.

i mean he is addicted to Mario and friends beyond belief.

so this afternoon he gets home from school.

i gather him by the computer and tell him that Nintendo has named it's next console today. That it will no longer be Revolution.

i then show him the video of the dancing i's

when the video is over and i tell him how to pronounce it.
he looked at me, paused.
said" LAME!"
then walked away.

at least they could have pronounced it "WHY" and not "WEE:

:(

i'll now have a hard time promoing this system to other people.
at least google has a cool sound to it. as well as all the other references they made in the article.

but WEE???? come on. that as my son said... is LAME

elostyle said:

Interesting, but again, a lot of the "positive" stuff is that "It's not that bad", "You'll get used to it", "I don't hate it", and regular people won't care, aka damage control. I'm not sure regular people and "gamers" are terribly different when it comes to names and branding, like "normal" people will have a totally different reaction or something. It was conceivably possible for them to come up with a name that wasn't instantly a joke.

Like everyone says, I'll get used to it, but seeing something like Madden: Wii Edition is exceedingly odd, I'm not sure how much that's going to change.

jarosh

this is pronounced exactly the same. yet it doesn't make people think about penises and urine.

v-for-vendetta-poster-2.jpg

plus there are many other things named v, wee, wii, we etc. books, movies, magazines, tv shows. what if nintendo had announced the V instead of the Wii? different reaction?

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Pointless speculation: Now we've heard about this whole emphasis on "we" wouldn't it be cool if the undisclosed final secret of the Wii was that with some games you can play on-line multiplayer without your friend needing a copy of the game?

The guy without the copy would just download a multiplayer client that only works when the person who purchased the game is on-line? Kind of the Wii version of single-pac multiplayer?

Pretty unlikely I know, but it would really push the whole "we" idea.

Sorry about that triple post. With all the Bad Response From Servers I was getting, I couldn't tell that a few of the dozens of attempts actually worked.

I'm not particularly picky about the name... but Wii's cute/small/harmlessness causes people to spaz out, so the overreactions entertain me.

wheedle - to try to influence (a person) by subtle flattery or slyness
Wii - Nintendo's new generation game machine
Wiidle - to try to influence (a person) to like Nintendo's new generation game machine by subtle flattery or slyness
Wiidlers - Nintendo's marketing department

Kevtones said:
Don't know if its been posted but Neogaf made MTV.COM because of this :lol

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1529658/20060427/index.jhtml?headlines=true

Awesome.
Yeah, he posted earlier in the thread talking about making GAF part of the story.

Matlock

Banned

Don't worry, Jarosh. They could have called it the V and still gotten the "that's the worst name, it's just a letter, it's so gay" response.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
honestly, i think a company with a more sophisticated image could get away with such a goofy name -- there would be a hint of irony to it. but when you're trying to sell a console that asks its users to imitate dragonball characters...

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

sp0rsk said:
mtv is blocked here at work can you copy the gaf part of the article
Under the name Revolution, the Nintendo console and its unusual motion-sensitive remote-control-shaped controller generated months of hype. But at NeoGAF.com, a Web site where the hardest of hard-core gamers hang out, the initial reaction to "Wii" tipped to the negative. "I don't get it," wrote a gamer calling himself Speevy. "Months of positive hype, a genuine competitive advantage, and they named the thing Wii? If consumers don't even want to say the name of the product, they're not going to buy it."

Another poster named Sho Nuff wrote, "I'm actually laughing out loud thinking of 'wee' jokes. ... There is no way they can release a console with that name in Britain." According to a Nintendo spokesperson, the Wii name will be used worldwide.

What does Nintendo have to say to the naysayers? "We believe people will move past that issue," said Perrin Kaplan, president of marketing and corporate affairs at Nintendo. "Many top companies have successfully used names or phrases that might seem odd at first blush: Virgin for an airline, Caterpillar for construction equipment, Yahoo! for Internet services, Naked for juice, Prius for a car, Napster for a Web site."

There has been an occasional positive comment about the name. A NeoGAF poster named SuperPac wrote, "I like it. It's not the name of a game system. It's an iconic name like iPod. The more I think about it, the more I think this is the right choice."
ololo

this thread is a Wiinar

can't wait for the Wiimote

Nintendo is trying to kill itself, or trying to confuse ppl into trying it, hey, that might work

inthegray

guys, guys.. it's cool. turns out that tupac really loves the new name

ws.jpg

the jeffersons will need a bit more convincing though

movin_on_up.jpg

and those are the two pitiful photoshop jobs i have to offer you today.

Matlock

Banned
drohne said:
honestly, i think a company with a more sophisticated image could get away with such a goofy name -- there would be a hint of irony to it. but when you're trying to sell a console that asks its users to imitate dragonball characters...

WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII

And what gaming company could get away with such a feat without internet hatred?

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
no one can do anything without incurring internet hatred. i had a cheese danish today morning. the "blogosphere" is seething.

lexy

Good to see that the more Nintendo says they've changed, the more they actually stay the same. As polarizing and divisive as ever.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
I live in an English speaking country where the word 'wee' means small. So it actually suits quite well.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
GitarooMan said:
Interesting, but again, a lot of the "positive" stuff is that "It's not that bad", "You'll get used to it", "I don't hate it", and regular people won't care, aka damage control. I'm not sure regular people and "gamers" are terribly different when it comes to names and branding, like "normal" people will have a totally different reaction or something. It was conceivably possible for them to come up with a name that wasn't instantly a joke.

Like everyone says, I'll get used to it, but seeing something like Madden: Wii Edition is exceedingly odd, I'm not sure how much that's going to change.

Agree. Nintendo had such an awesome name with Revolution. It literally bothered me that Nintendo could be so cool. Revolution is cool. Revolution is new. Revolution is here to kick ass.

Now they have this Wii. Lmao, I imagine a flower with legs waltzing into a meadow and playing some video games.

I still am like...wtf is a Wii? Great, it's inclusive and wow awesome neat, it represents an attempt to pull in non-gamers. Yeah, my non-gaming friends are gonna take one look at "wii" and spend the next hour making fun of me. Stupid and childish as it seems, that's the way the world is. Stupid.

How do you do that with a Wii? I take back what I said about Apple-- all their product lines have real-life referents. iMac. iBook. PowerBook. iPod. There isn't an "iTiff" or "iNoo." And all the i-line is named after some part of its function.

ssoass

jarosh said:
this is pronounced exactly the same. yet it doesn't make people think about penises and urine.

v-for-vendetta-poster-2.jpg

plus there are many other things named v, wee, wii, we etc. books, movies, magazines, tv shows. what if nintendo had announced the V instead of the Wii? different reaction?

Nah, that's "Vee", this is "Wee".
Quite the difference.

Matlock

Banned
It's times like this that I wish I could go back in time and change history so I could see what the response to a Playstation Wii would be.

And then go back a few more years and kill Hitler.

JJConrad said:

Oh please.

This is the worse name for a console we've seen in a long time. It's relying more on shock value than substance, and I highly doubt it will work. When you hear "Revolution" your mind thinks of many images, as well as ideologies. A console named "Revolution" would give people pause. Why is a videogame console named "Revolution", and what's so revolutionary about it?

But Wii? The name only further makes the Revolution look like a blacksheep in the casual public's eyes. In terms of image perception, Nintendo is slowly boxing themself off, just like they did with the purple Gamecube ("lol lunchcube"). Revolution was striking and bold, whereas "Wii" sounds extremely miniscule and apathetic, which is the last thing Nintendo needs this generation.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
About Apple being able to release a product named Wii and it being trendy and cool. Well, thats because their Apple not Nintendo. They have the ability to release something with a weird name and people take to it. Its yet to be seen if Nintendo can do it.

So far, the name is getting a WTF from me. I'm sure Nintendo is going for the reaction too :lol. I'm just wondering how people will think about Nintendo Wii in comparison to the Xbox or Playstation brandname. I'm thinking its going to be a negative effect instead of a positive one.

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Roders5 said:
I live in an English speaking country where the word 'wee' means small. So it actually suits quite well.
Scotland?

ManaByte

Rage Bait Youtuber
Matlock said:
It's times like this that I wish I could go back in time and change history so I could see what the response to a Playstation Wii would be.

PlayStation Wonderful was close, and the reaction was just as funny.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
PhoenixDark said:
Oh please.

This is the worse name for a console we've seen in a long time. It's relying more on shock value than substance, and I highly doubt it will work. When you hear "Revolution" your mind thinks of many images, as well as ideologies. A console named "Revolution" would give people pause. Why is a videogame console named "Revolution", and what's so revolutionary about it?

Exactly. Revolution is bold and interesting. I want to know what the Revolution is all about. Is it going to be televised (NO AM I RITE)? I'll get a Wii because I like the conceptualization and the force behind it, but Nintendo seems to be consistently trying to hobble itself.

Matlock said:

Sony to change name to PiiS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom