• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Revolution Name Announced: Wii

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morbo

Amir0x said:
did you read my entire post, 'cause i'm pretty sure it has the appropriate response to this statement. The product is gonna deliver. And yes, the name means jack shit in the long run. I'm just trying to explain the difference between when we inevitably get 'used' to the name Wii, and how that doesn't change that it's a bad name. No matter how shitty, unless the name is 'Fuckmyinmymouth', you'll always get used to it... it will always fade to the background

I think you may have edited while I was reading and I didn't notice the extra text when I replied.
On closer inspection it looks like I don't actually disagree with you. It seems like Nintendo always fucks up something with their consoles of late. If this is the fuckup for this time around I'm stoked, because although lame it really doesn't matter

xaosslug

borghe said:
you are REALLY reaching with this. to many people google has a bigger impact in their lives than a video game console, myself included.

how so? seriously, how does "Google" and "Yahoo" impact your life in such a big way?

borghe said:
here is where you're wrong. I have no such hope. The only benefit of Wii that I've ever touted is that it is inherently meaningless. It provides endless marketing opportunities because of that, and looks pretty cool the way they have it typeset.

okay...

borghe said:
fixed.who the fuck would have to defend a name, or even worse "attack" a name? When the system comes out it will be all about the system. The name at that point won't be anything but branding. The only place the "badness" of the name will matter is on internet message boards.

then I'm assume your SN's been hacked as "borghe" has been doing so rather vigorously in this very thread... even dragging "Google" and Yahoo" into it as points of reference...

SuperPac

borghe said:
fixed.who the fuck would have to defend a name, or even worse "attack" a name? When the system comes out it will be all about the system. The name at that point won't be anything but branding. The only place the "badness" of the name will matter is on internet message boards.

Well said. And true.

After letting this settle a few days, I don't have a problem with it really... I think visually its very cool as has been said, and while there'll continue to be "wee" jokes, I'm just glad it's actually not spelled like that. :)

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
xaosslug said:
how so? seriously, how does "Google" and "Yahoo" impact your life in such a big way?
umm.. I probably use it AT LEAST once an hour 365 days a year, and at the very minimum at least once an hour every day of work. if not more.

then I'm assume your SN's been hacked as "borghe" has been doing so rather vigorously in this very thread... even dragging "Google" and Yahoo" into it as points of reference...
I'm not defending it as good or bad. merely pointing out the uselessness of continuing to complain about it five days after the fact.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I asked my friend last night and he wants to know why Nintendo stopped trying after the N64 era. :lol

I know that's "ignant" and stupid and whatever (SWARM), but there is this very deeply-ingrained negative conception of Nintendo in the American hipster's mind now. Nintendo has to reverse that. Wii (wiiiiiiiiiiiii!) is probably not the best way to do that.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
What I find funny is this new blind faith in NOA/NOE's marketing departments which has arisen amongst those who like the name. They haven't proved they can market much at all recently, let alone anything this different/controversial/divisive.

The product/name/image are all tied up together. A great product doesn't automatically overcome a negative name or image. That's why companies have changed product names, and reversed brand name changes in the past. Wii is a gamble, and quite an unnecessary one. Considering the gambles they are already taking with the controller, HD etc. It is a distraction in that sense, and one they could have completely avoided with a bit more thought and a bit more consultation with NOA/NOE.

I'm personally sidelining the issue now until E3 when we get more idea how the product/name/image will tie together, and some idea of how they intend to market this. I don't think they've done themselves any favours though.

Beezy

Did something happen today that I don't know about? There's over 1000 members in the gaming forum right now.

Wait a minute. There's no slowdown either!

Edit: Okay, it's a bit under 1000 now.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Well, I hate to admit it that it's starting to grow on me, but I'm getting used to the name now. It will really depend on how they'll use it though, I'm thinking they'll use Wii as a prefix like Apple does to "i", like WiiMario or WiiCook or something. It would make more sense that way, but I still can't see "Wii" evoking the coolness that "i" does, quite the contrary maybe, but it would help getting rid of the negative connotations, we'll just have to wait and see what they do with it.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Ponn01 said:
Dreamcast
Nintendo Entertainment System
Genesis
Playstation
Xbox
Playstation2
Xbox 360
Gamecube
Nintendo 64
Saturn
Wii

One in that list is unlike the others

Maybe that's the point. The system is different, the dirrection Nintendo is going is different, Nintendo's goals are different...the name should be different.

X360 & PS3 are the "real" next generation systems, serious hardware for "real" gamers or whatever. Wii is *not* that kind of system...it's very different from concept, to design, to dirrection. It will still be compared to and lumped into competing with the competition, but the name alone is so different that it sorta seperates itself from those systems.

I was thinking Nintendo would call the system "Nintendo NEW" (Nintendo Entertainment WiFi) for that very reason (so it's not seen as a next generation system, but as a new generation system). The problem with a name like "NEW" though is it could be very confusing for retail purposes and would probably be a problem for branding & marketting as well. So Nintendo decided to go with a name that was new, different & disruptive...Wii is all those things!

Love it or hate it, it's got people talking.

SuperPac

Nash said:
A great product doesn't automatically overcome a negative name or image. That's why companies have changed product names, and reversed brand name changes in the past.

Example of this in the last 15 years?

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
xaosslug said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol @ Diehard Nintendo fans attempting to convince posters in this thread and themselves that if one dislikes the name it renders one "hater total" who needs to "get over it."

bitch, please

The :lol smiley is the most overused smiley ever.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
SuperPac said:
Example of this in the last 15 years?

Off the top of my head (UK ones):

Royal Mail
Coco-Pops

Both had huge outcries against their new names (which were both rubbish), and both changed back.

lancubap

borghe said:
to be honest, after 5 days I haven't found one person outside of message boards who even thinks it's a big deal anymore. Not saying everyone loves it, but the message boards are the only place people are still complaining about it.

On a related note, I personally have not come across one person who the name changed their mind for them. the people who were going to buy it are still gonna buy it and the ones who weren't still won't.

On a final related note, Brain Age is a hit at work with non-game players. One guy even went out to buy a DS (says he hasn't been a gamer for over 10 years). If Nintendo can duplicate this on the Wii, the name won't matter outside of branding.

On related to THAT note, branding is really all that matters. If Wii turns out to be the shit, the name will also be the shit. It will enter into a strong cultural vocabulary and represent something most people will love. If we doesn't turn over into the mainstream culture, then it will just be another video game console name (with haters insisting it was because of the name that the system failed :|)

Very interesting. Thanks for the new infos. And for the most part, I agree with you.

EDIT:

Amir0x said:
First of all, "PlayStation" is not a shitty or good name. It's neutral. It's self-explanatory, it doesn't immediately suggest anything negative, and it's not comprised entirely of made up fucking words.

In fact this name has been created by Nintendo and then stoled by Sony in 1992-93...

Nash said:
What I find funny is this new blind faith in NOA/NOE's marketing departments which has arisen amongst those who like the name. They haven't proved they can market much at all recently, let alone anything this different/controversial/divisive.

QFT. I have little faith in either NOA or NOE.

NCL will run with this and sell it well.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
Nash said:
I'm personally sidelining the issue now until E3 when we get more idea how the product/name/image will tie together, and some idea of how they intend to market this. I don't think they've done themselves any favours though.

I am sorta nuetral too. I love Nintendo, so I'm buying it anyways...I don't mind the name just like I didn't mind the purple lunchbox/fisher price controller of the GCN. However, I'm not a totally superficial person, but most people are and while I neither love or hate the name (or the GCN shell design) I do see the problems with getting over the image hurdle's for these kind of people...people who, with their buying power, determine the success of the system.

With the intention of marketting, I'd totally suggest this (from the Wii slogan thread):

Vashu said:
It surprises me no one mentioned this one.

What is it?

Just that, on a billboard. No Nintendo name, no other ploys... Just that.

And I'm laughing my ass off at all the other replies here. :lol

Fucking ACE baby!

Thraktor said:
Something like this?

wii1.jpg

wii2.jpg

Granted, it's not just the text, but I find a little visual clue can help the intrigue.

You guys are right up my ally. I really hope that Nintendo makes it stand for something so as to give the name meaning. I was thinking "Whatever interpretation imaginable" would be excellent 'cos it asks the consumers to draw their own conclusion about the name/product. It's like open-ended marketting. With "Whatever interpretation imaginable" or simply "What is it?" people could create their own "slogans":
-Wonder illusion imagine
-Whatever interface imagainable
-Wireless interface & internet
-We'll innovate indefinatly

That aside, I also hope that Wii means something. They said it means "we" which is that whole community emphasis again. Hopefully it pans out like this:

Wii = we = community = camera built into each Wii system

This would justify the name to me.

Dave Long

Banned
Just spent some time talking to the manager of one of the local Game Crazy stores, a guy who's pretty up on things and he didn't bat an eye at using the name Wii in discussion of the new system.

It's a non-event to everyone but people on messageboards.

Dave Long said:
Just spent some time talking to the manager of one of the local Game Crazy stores, a guy who's pretty up on things and he didn't bat an eye at using the name Wii in discussion of the new system.

It's a non-event to everyone but people on messageboards.

Not necessarily. My friend refuses to even say it, and saying it in public really turns heads like "What the hell are you guys talking about?"

Stop the presses! GAF still bitching!

I talked to most of my friends, some gamers some not, and let me give you an example of ALL their responses:

Me: So yeah, the new Nintendo console is named.
Them: Oh yeah? What is it?
Me: It's called...the W-i-i....the Wii
Them....What?
Me: Yeah, it's pretty strange.
Them. Yeah. Wiiiiiii! Haha. No but really, it's not that bad, I think it's cool.
Me: *pimp hand slap*

Other than the last part, it's the truth. I happen to agree that the only people that DO care are the ones who have a boner for the gaming industry.

Amir0x said:
did you read my entire post, 'cause i'm pretty sure it has the appropriate response to this statement. The product is gonna deliver. And yes, the name means jack shit in the long run. I'm just trying to explain the difference between when we inevitably get 'used' to the name Wii, and how that doesn't change that it's a bad name. No matter how shitty, unless the name is 'Fuckmyinmymouth', you'll always get used to it... it will always fade to the background
If you no longer notice something is bad, is it bad anymore? Does it matter if it's bad at that point?

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BrandNew said:
Stop the presses! GAF still bitching!

I talked to most of my friends, some gamers some not, and let me give you an example of ALL their responses:

Me: So yeah, the new Nintendo console is named.
Them: Oh yeah? What is it?
Me: It's called...the W-i-i....the Wii
Them....What?
Me: Yeah, it's pretty strange.
Them. Yeah. Wiiiiiii! Haha. No but really, it's not that bad, I think it's cool.
Me: *pimp hand slap*

Other than the last part, it's the truth. I happen to agree that the only people that DO care are the ones who have a boner for the gaming industry.

Yes, well, I talked to six hundred people who all hated it. So clearly GAF's discussion is right.

AND we pimp hand slapped.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
I remember when "core gamers" were pissing & moaning about the extreme 360 moniker for the new X-BOX...I was indifferent to the name...the general public lapped that crap up though.

Sweedishrodeo

the smegma spreader
DrGAKMAN said:
I remember when "core gamers" were pissing & moaning about the extreme 360 moniker for the new X-BOX...I was indifferent to the name...the general public lapped that crap up though.

yeah i still don't understand the logic that somehow underlies the "360" part of "xbox 360." and the only reason everyone shit themselves over the N5 name is because we went from "revolution" to "wii." if "wii" was the name straight out of the gates i think people may have recognized it to be as good (bad?) a name as "xbox 360."

I just called up my local Gamestop for some Wii fun:lol

Employee: You've reached Gamestop, my name's Dan how can I help you?
Phoenix: Hello Daniel. I was wondering when I can preorder the Wii?
Employee: *snickers* Um, we don't have any information on dates right now..
Phoenix: So you don't know when I can play with the Wii?
Employee: Well...it's coming out in November I think....
Phoenix: Wii for Thanksgiving then? Believe?
Employee: *laughs* yeah
Phoenix: Can I customize Wii colors? I would like yellow
Employee: *laughs* Dude, I have to go.

SuperPac

Nash said:
Off the top of my head (UK ones):

Royal Mail
Coco-Pops

Both had huge outcries against their new names (which were both rubbish), and both changed back.

Well, that's an interesting point. But both of these were established (by many years) and successful brands and their name changes were arbitrary/unnecessary. Wii is a new product and the old name was nothing but a code name (as stated by Nintendo many times, almost any time they uttered the word Revolution).

PkunkFury said:

That was more than 15 years ago, and it was more than just a name change.

DrGAKMAN

Banned
PhoenixDark said:
I just called up my local Gamestop for some Wii fun:lol

Employee: You've reached Gamestop, my name's Dan how can I help you?
Phoenix: Hello Daniel. I was wondering when I can preorder the Wii?
Employee: *snickers* Um, we don't have any information on dates right now..
Phoenix: So you don't know when I can play with the Wii?
Employee: Well...it's coming out in November I think....
Phoenix: Wii for Thanksgiving then? Believe?
Employee: *laughs* yeah
Phoenix: Can I customize Wii colors? I would like yellow
Employee: *laughs* Dude, I have to go.

Wii = Brokeback Mountain

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Wow, Thraktor's post isn't too bad from a marketing standpoint. I still hate the name though.

Amir0x

Banned
JoshuaJSlone said:
If you no longer notice something is bad, is it bad anymore? Does it matter if it's bad at that point?

No, I notice it's still bad it's just something you get used to. I will always notice Wii is shitty, I just will move on. It's just a name, it's not gonna change how awesome Pikmin 3 is.

lancubap said:
In fact this name has been created by Nintendo and then stoled by Sony in 1992-93...

neat?

ant1532

Banned
:lol
So my dad just asked me, "Is Sega a game company?" And I said yea, why? And he said " In the crossword puzzle its [Nintendo's rival] and is 4 leters in a" lol South Florida's Sun Sentinal needs to get with it!

I've said this before on NGG: I don't immediately like the name, but you have to admit - it's marketing genius. You can walk past the coolest car in the world, but if it has a name like Citroen Percephany 2022X-Mk.23, you're not going to remember it. Walk past a shop with a kid wielding a Wiimote with a words 'WII' plastered on the shop front like at most launches, and you're going to remember it for weeks upon weeks, no matter who you are.

Plus you have to remember that Nintendo's marketing directors are goign to have a field-day with the amount of easy, catchy slogans that can be used with the name. From "Time for a Wii-volution", "Wii will change gaming", "Wii you play with us" or just simply "Wiiiiiiiii", you won't be forgetting the name in a hurry.

OnceInALifeTime said:
I've said this before on NGG: I don't immediately like the name, but you have to admit - it's marketing genius. You can walk past the coolest car in the world, but if it has a name like Citroen Percephany 2022X-Mk.23, you're not going to remember it. Walk past a shop with a kid wielding a Wiimote with a words 'WII' plastered on the shop front like at most launches, and you're going to remember it for weeks upon weeks, no matter who you are.

Plus you have to remember that Nintendo's marketing directors are goign to have a field-day with the amount of easy, catchy slogans that can be used with the name. From "Time for a Wii-volution", "Wii will change gaming", "Wii you play with us" or just simply "Wiiiiiiiii", you won't be forgetting the name in a hurry.

kfedthumb8wh.jpg

"T.R.U.T.H"

Beowvlf

Banned
Been at work all day, responding to a few posts. Apologies for the length.

PkunkFury said:
^ Wow

This guy does not speak for the Wii hating Nintendo fans. That was all over the place, and one of the worst justifications for not liking Wii that I've ever read :\
Not only was my post not even close to being a 'justification for not liking Wii', but I'm curious to see your definition of 'all over the place'.

Frankfurter said:
I like it how you managed it to sort of 'transform' "Wii" to a 'childish' name.
I like how you managed to completely ignore the fact that Wii very blantantly carries with it a childish connotation. 'Weeeeee' is instantly recognizable to a huge portion of the world's population as a common word said by small children whilst having fun/playing around.

Netrunner2k2 said:
The entire thing is hilarious, but I like this part:

"Wii is silly, harmless and simple."
Context is your friend. Harmless in the sense that the brand seems only to convey innocent, all ages appropriate fun.

kaizoku said:
Sorry but this is just blatantly wrong. Therefore the rest of your post is rendered inaccurate.

Sometimes opinions can be wrong, it may have no effect on you (atleast so you say, but I bet it does) but for the rest of society brands are extremely important and it would take lecture upon lecture and lots of research before you would fully understand why.

Its been days, get over the name guys, why and how are you STILL on here posting reply after reply telling us all how the name will doom Wii to failure.
You assume you know what I know, and what I do. I don't claim to be an expert on branding, but I've never subscribed to the notion that a brand, on it's own, can serve to 'make' a product. Therefore, my post, my opinion, is entirely accurate.

And I've never stated I think the name will doom the Wii to failure. I just believe it will have an affect on it's perception and, quite possibly, it's sales.

lancubap said:
You are too pessimistic and even if you are right, this is valid ONLY for English Countries.
You (and many other people) forget that Nintendo is a Japan-Based Company, and Wii is far better then Revolution in this Country.
It is indifferent for Germany, France and Italy. I speak all these three languages and I assure you that only in French there could be the comparison Wii - Oui (and this is not by force bad), but for Deutsch or italiano: Wii is as good as iPod or iTunes and far better then Sega.
I agree with you, I think the majority of what I speculated on will affect English language countries more so. But you must also recognize English is very prevalent, even in many countries wherein it isn't the official language. It's influence is immeasurable.

kaizoku said:
So Wii is peculiar, memorable and curious as a brand first and a console name 2nd.
I completely disagree, and I think this is one of the biggest problems with Wii as a name and as a brand. It is far too well known, for various reasons, in the English language. Therefore, unlike eBay or iPod or PlayStation, Wii is nothing more than one of the most common English words in the entire language spelled with two I's instead of an E.

OnceInALifeTime said:
and you're going to remember it for weeks upon weeks, no matter who you are.
For the same reason as above, I completely disagree with this notion. IMO this name will likely never enter the English lexicon due to it's similarity to a far too common existing word. It's not the same as Yahoo, which was identical to an existing word as well, but one that few people used on a daily basis. Wii blends in, and that's exactly what you don't want with a brand.

Wii is too "kiddy," guys.

I think they should change the name to the Nintendo WhoreSlasher.

Not only does the name convey mature themes, but it perfectly describes the motion-based gameplay. It's an active word, and you can just picture the controller "slashing" through some streetwalker's jugular.

Plus, it abbreviates to the Nintendo WS, which can play off the DS's established marketing and put forth a united front concerning Nintendo's bold new direction. It's not a name that you're soon going to forget, and the media shitstorm concerning the name's violent connotations will garner loads of free publicity.

When you think Nintendo, think WhoreSlasher.

It must've went like this at Nintendo:

Revolution Name Leader A: Think of new name for Nintendo console. Use Mario and Wario
Person 1: Okay. We have Mario and Wario. Think of it
Person 2: ario and ario
Person 3: ari and ari
Person 2: R We and R we
Person 3: Not We, little we
Person 2: (typing)Wi?
Person 1: Yes, but include the other wi
Person 3: Join the 2 wiwi's together.
Person 2: Got it. Let's Wii

Heian-kyo said:
IMO this name will likely never enter the English lexicon due to it's similarity to a far too common existing word. It's not the same as Yahoo, which was identical to an existing word as well, but one that few people used on a daily basis. Wii blends in, and that's exactly what you don't want with a brand.

Ah. ICEE your point.

SuperPac said:
That was more than 15 years ago, and it was more than just a name change.
I was going to say that as well, but checking the facts he's rightish. The New Coke deal happened in 1985, but once the original Coke returned they went by the names Coca-Cola and Coca-Cola Classic. It was in 1992 that Coca-Cola was renamed Coke II, just slipping into that 15 year period.

SuperPac

Heian-kyo said:
It is far too well known, for various reasons, in the English language. Therefore, unlike eBay or iPod or PlayStation, Wii is nothing more than one of the most common English words in the entire language spelled with two I's instead of an E.

I honestly don't see how anyone could confuse Wii with we in the context of a sentence/discussion. I've been listening to a few podcasts that discuss the Wii and I've never had any trouble differentiating which word they mean at any point in time. I would assume (or hope) that would be the case for any other native/fluent English speaker, unless they are stupid.

IMO this name will likely never enter the English lexicon due to it's similarity to a far too common existing word. It's not the same as Yahoo, which was identical to an existing word as well, but one that few people used on a daily basis. Wii blends in, and that's exactly what you don't want with a brand.

There are plenty of other brands that are regular everyday English words. Dial, All, Snuggle, Aim, Always, Dawn, Tide, Ivory, Subway, Gap, Citi (bank), Hertz, Kraft, Mobil, Shell, Target, Borders, Apple, People, Time, Stuff, Blender, Premiere, Fortune, Money, Wizard, Life, Shape, Jet, Giant, Billboard, Spin, Wired, Fox. Are those bad/unsuccessful brand names because they could be confused with the reguar word in the English language? Do they blend in too much? Your argument is weak. You just don't like the name, and that's fine -- that's your prerogative.

Adapting the Gamecube song to Wii

Lyrics

When darkness fills your life and pain's supreme.
When evil forces have deformed your dreams.
It's time to open up your heart to let the light shine through
No matter how you look at it you'll always know it's true!

Wii, it makes a big fuss!
Wii, Nintendo bless us!
Wii, its hardware easily surpass the rest!
And when it comes to games we'll always get the best!

When people by your side's forsaken you.
And you cry because you don't know what to do.
It's time to open up your heart to let the light shine through
No matter how you look at it you'll always know it's true!

Wii, Nintendo bless us!
Wii, its hardware easily surpass the rest!
It's time to open up to let your heart decide what's true.

Wii, Nintendo bless us!
Wii its hardware easily surpass the rest!

Chittagong

Gold Member
SuperPac said:
There are plenty of other brands that are regular everyday English words. Dial, All, Snuggle, Aim, Always, Dawn, Tide, Ivory, Subway, Gap, Citi (bank), Hertz, Kraft, Mobil, Shell, Target, Borders, Apple, People, Time, Stuff, Blender, Premiere, Fortune, Money, Wizard, Life, Shape, Jet, Giant, Billboard, Spin, Wired, Fox. Are those bad/unsuccessful brand names because they could be confused with the reguar word in the English language? Do they blend in too much? Your argument is weak. You just don't like the name, and that's fine -- that's your prerogative.

None of them resemble closely wee or poo though

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
SuperPac said:

But those words are mainly nouns already, with the odd verb in there. It doesn't seem that odd to use them as names.

Here's a list of the 60 odd pronouns:

http://www.einfoweb.com/grammar/pros/list.html

Of all those, I think 1 has been used as a product/brand - 'one' and that was prefixed by CK. And it was also a perfume. Now there must be a reason why companies have avoided using all these potential names for their products uptil now? Maybe because they sound very odd when used as names?

Like I said, I'm waiting till E3 to see how they put all this together. But on many levels, it *is* a very odd choice of name.

kaizoku

I'm not as deluded as I make myself out to be
Heian-kyo you're not making 100% sense but I'll attempt to answer what I think you are trying to say.

First of all STOP trying to predict how this word will be accepted or otherwise, I mean holy shit how many times have you (and others) said it already? Funny thing is you can give every reasonable reason under the sun and it will still be meaningless to us because no one on this planet can know for sure what effect this brand and the marketing push alongside it plus the prospect of an exciting new console pushing it will have on human society. We just dont know a thing - which makes the extended commentary as valuable and interesting as me telling the world what I think its like to be the Pope.

You said brands only ever have negative impacts on a product or a very small positive impact. Thats incredibly ignorant. I dont care what you do, brands are worth billions and people dont do that just to avoid negative brands. I assumed you pulled this out of your personal experience of the world (which is fine) cos you sure as hell didnt do any research.

How you can come on a gaming forum and be a regular member and then suggest brands never have a positive impact is hilarious. Gaming world is full of brands and franchises and they are all staring you in the face.

Wii will not enter the lexicon? Wii will go as far as Nintendo can push it - that is the power of marketing. If they do it right Wii can be the hottest product on the market and there is then no choice but for it to enter the daily usage of people everywhere. Its not like humankind has a list of rules for what it will allow into its languages, its a very flexible system which evolves by itself.

Practically already happened on here hasnt it?

One more time, liking the name is irrelevant, what matters is its a brand which indicates the next gen and people will remember it - after that it depends how far Nintendo can push the brand and the consoles home. Wii has broken walls which would have been present with a generic console name - if they changed back I'd be worried about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom