• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Symphony: Music from Final Fantasy VI, VII and X (May 2013)

Nice! Dislike black signatures though on a console. Would've gone with gold or silver for that niceness.

Looking to get my FFVII (the alt version that came with AC) signed since it already has Kitase's sig on it. Plus my FF25th box and the 25th Vinyl set that came out. Friends aren't big fans so they'll be getting the extra items signed on my behalf as I assume there is a one item limit.

Need to go pick up my tickets, though. Never did arrive in the post!

orioto

Good Art™
You can find recording (bad of course) on youtube. My the FFVI arrangement.. So superior to anything else..

Bennettt2

I wish to hear them arrange "interrupted by fireworks" just once in my life. A nice, proper orchestration. Oh man, that song is sorely in need of having justice done to it.

You can find recording (bad of course) on youtube. My the FFVI arrangement.. So superior to anything else..

Yep listening to it now. It's okay, I've heard worse audience recordings and at least the European audiences know how to behave at a symphonic concert (unlike the Zelda concerts in the U.S.)

Edit: Although I was hoping for an orchestral arrangement of "Searching for Friends." I guess my wait continues... *sigh.*

I wish to hear them arrange "interrupted by fireworks" just once in my life. A nice, proper orchestration. Oh man, that song is sorely in need of having justice done to it.

It's on the Final Symphony play list and you can probably find it from yesterday's show on Youtube

I'm still resisting though...D:

Nice! Dislike black signatures though on a console. Would've gone with gold or silver for that niceness.

Looking to get my FFVII (the alt version that came with AC) signed since it already has Kitase's sig on it. Plus my FF25th box and the 25th Vinyl set that came out. Friends aren't big fans so they'll be getting the extra items signed on my behalf as I assume there is a one item limit.

Need to go pick up my tickets, though. Never did arrive in the post!

I didn't know this was a thing. Wonder if I could order one before the 30th...

jett

D-Member
Yeah i just saw that -_-'

It's pretty amazing though. Jonne Valtonen is by far the most talented arranger working on video games, makes Squeenix's official arranged albums sound like Babby's First Orchestral Arrangement.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just came back from Wuppertal, saw the evening show yesterday. Just like everyone else, I really enjoyed it.
The Final Fantasy VII arrangement especially was fantastic.

Zanasea

The concert was extremely impressive, probably one of the greatest efforts to turn game music into classical music. As a huge fan of Masashi Hamauzu's music, I was pleased to hear his distinctive piano sound during the FFX piano concerto, but the two real highlights were the FFVI symphonic poem and the FFVII symphony. Very, very clever orchestrations with a lot of nuance and refinement.

I really hope they are planning to release a CD, because you will never hear all the details in a YouTube recording.

orioto

Good Art™
I just heard the extra with Fierce battle and mog :3
I was kinda bored by the FFVII and FFX pieces.. Probably me!

Jucksalbe

Banned
I was kinda bored by the FFVII and FFX pieces.. Probably me!

I really liked the concept of the three movements of the FF VII arrangement. There're so many details you only really notice when you understand what they want to express (and know FF VII by heart).

I really liked the concept of the three movements of the FF VII arrangement. There're so many details you only really notice when you understand what they want to express (and know FF VII by heart).

I really like what they're doing too with the German concerts. They're basically taking these themes and fitting them within the standards of classical music, basically moving away from orchestral pop-style brief arrangements to 3 movement piano concertos (like in Symphonic Odysseys) and symphonies. Granted, they're still not there yet, but I'm always excited whenever they do another one of these concerts.

Aku-Audi

Love reading all the feedback here. It was such an incredible night and I keep thinking about the arrangements and floating into dreams.

If someone has a good idea for a gaf meeting in London, do share. I might be too busy to hang but I would like to personally thank the gaffers who supported Final Symphony.

Celegus

This better come out on CD, some of the arrangements on the previous recordings are just so amazing and it sounds like this one didn't disappoint. Hopefully there were no quick cuts to One Winged Angel / Chocobo Theme to get a chuckle this time around.

Aku-Audi

This better come out on CD, some of the arrangements on the previous recordings are just so amazing and it sounds like this one didn't disappoint.

Hopefully one day it will be available on a CD. This is as important to the production team as it is to you, so just keep your voices heard and demand strong, and who knows. It is truly a concert that demands multiple listens in order to recognize all the nods and details.

Aku-Audi

Double post, but I wanted to share this picture done by the great photo team for this concert:

goIOC2j.jpg

The venue was a beautiful, intimate symphony hall, perfect for the atmosphere the music was set to. And the conductor, such an incredible musical mind.

Aku-Audi

memories_logo.png

Gamasutra said:
Jonne: Yeah, the biggest difference between us and others is that we try to do these larger form pieces, as opposed to shorter 3 minute pieces or standard medley structures. I like doing these larger form arrangements, it’s like a book you know in that you can really dive into a book and imagine and create the livid deep world from your senses. Music does the same for me.

Audun: You create the world through sound.

Jonne: Yes exactly. But I never think from competition though, I think of what brings the most out of the music and how I hope it will resonate the most with the fans.

Audun: [Symphonic Shades] was also the first video game concert to ever be radio broadcasted and livestreamed worldwide.

Thomas: Yes, thanks to Winfried Fechner. He really believed in us, and with the WDR station we could broadcast the concert on the radio live, and we made use of that to live stream the audio online also to allow everyone to listen worldwide. I really loved this aspect of the show, and I did this for all the following shows.

Audun: Jonne, you said earlier that you wanted to tell stories, almost like a book, and you had the chance to finally do that with Symphonic Fantasies. But how do you go about doing that by arranging video game music?

Jonne: It’s sort of hard to explain but I’ll try my best. Like, I’ll use Secret of Mana as an example, that game is about nature, preserving our world, very green, very alive. So I knew then that I wanted to use a lot of sound effects by using the choir and orchestra in creative ways. So we made it rain through their voices, you heard the trees in the wind through the instruments, you know, creating an organic world based on Mana that the listener can transport themselves into.

Audun: And you also broadcasted [Symphonic Fantasies] on radio and online, this time with a video stream. This was the first worldwide broadcast of a video game concert online.

Thomas: Yeah this was an idea of Fechner, and he had only done this once before with another concert before this one. The camera work was a little rough around the edges because it was still a slightly new thing for us, but it was a great experience and we could do something really unique and groundbreaking with the WDR, and the fans got to attend the show from their home anywhere in the world. It was really cool that we had people all over the world, places like NeoGAF and other forums talk in real time while watching it together, and this opened up a whole new way for me in getting feedback.

Symphonic Memories: Tales of Merregnon Studios (Part 2)

@Aku-Adui - Any idea how the signings will be set up for London and times?

I think it will be about 90-60 minutes before the concert. I'll post the schedule once I get it and update you guys on this. There'll be a line where fans follow towards a table. Uematsu and Hamauzu will sign your items and take a picture with you if you want. For everyone who is attending the signing, please have consideration for both time and the other fans by bringing only 1 or 2 items to have signed, so everyone will get the chance to meet the composers.

atbigelow

Just listened to all of this and wow. There better be an official release ASAP. The FFX stuff wasn't amazing to me, but it may be a recording quality issue.

Some of the FF7 music was arrangement magnificently. Red XIII's Theme is absolutely the best.

And the weaving of melodies for FF6 was second-to-none.

great updates, Aku-Audi.

So jealous of everyone that got to see the performance in Germany (and will see it in London).

So I remember last year they said there would be no official CD release of these performances. Have they changed their minds on this? I see a few posts up where people are mentioning a possible December release...?

Aku-Audi

great updates, Aku-Audi.

So jealous of everyone that got to see the performance in Germany (and will see it in London).

So I remember last year they said there would be no official CD release of these performances. Have they changed their minds on this? I see a few posts up where people are mentioning a possible December release...?

Of these performances, there will not be any recordings done. That's not to say that there will never be a CD recording done, because we all want this to happen. Keep showing your support for Final Symphony and make yourself heard, the more demand, the more the possibility.

While its not officially recognized as a recording to promote, there is a youtube recording from an audience member with surprisingly good audio quality. I strongly suggest listening to Jonne Valtonen's 40 minute Final Fantasy 7 symphony in three movements.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dGPUn6Eix4

Here is a tracklist breakdown from the man himself:
Jonne Valtonen said:
Movement I
00:08-One Chosen by the Planet
01:25-Prelude and Opening layered (FVII Main Theme)
02:16-Who Am I
03:01-Who Am I + Theme of Sephiroth
04:02-Sephiroth goes mad (Fragments of OWA flying around)
04:49-Jenova
06:20-Jenova repeat
07:24-Main Theme -> Sephiroth takes over in 7:37
08:06-Trail of Blood (with OWA hits)
09:40-One Winged Angel
11:43-OWA themes start building on top of each other
12:34-All the previous themes start building on top of each other
13:12-Sephiroth is born

Movement II
13:57-Aerith
14:18-Words Drowned by Fireworks
17:12-Fireworks
18:00-Aerith
18:19-Cloud (+Aerith/Tifa on backround)
19:22-Tifa (+Aerith/Cloud)
21:09-Cloud
22:28-Aerith
23:52-Aerith repeat (dissonating)
24:50-Aerith and Cloud
25:13-Aerith and Cloud almost have each other (fanfare)
25:27-Sephiroth Interrupts!
24:39-Aerith and Cloud dissonating
26:14-OWA "hits" turn things worse (more dissonance)
26:44-Last stand of Aerith
27:16-Sephiroth makes a deadly blow
27:19-Aeriths last breaths

Movement III
28:02-Countdown Begins
28:48-How to Become a Warrior
29:35-FFVII Main Theme
29:51-How to Become a Warrior continues
30:59-Countdown Interrupts
31:06-VII Main Theme (Cid´s Theme)
32:08-Countdown+Main Theme
32:31-Jenova Absolute
33:46-Countdown Interrupts
33:56-FIGHT (Sephiroth vs. Cloud/Tifa/Cid)
35:55-OWA rhythm motive building up
36:10-World in Crisis
36:54-Final Fight!
37:37-World in Crisis (Lifestream)
40:26-Glimmering Field of Lifestream -> Bliss.

Aku-Audi

Autograph session schedule:

Spielemusikkonzerte said:
We are happy to announce the schedule for the autograph session with Nobuo Uematsu and Masashi Hamauzu!

May 30, 16:30 - 19:00 at the foyer of the Barbican Centre

We are expecting many fans to attend, so it would be highly appreciated if you could bring max. 2 items to the autograph session. Thank you very much in advance!

Aku-Audi

Awesome!

Going to be a bit weird since my items are only to be signed by Uematsu, as Hamauzu hadn't worked on those products.

Don't you have any games with Hamauzu's work? SaGa Frontier 2, Blade Master, FFX etc?
Or else you can just have them both sign your program or your boobs., 1 each.

Ha!

I do have FFX and XIII but my FFVII mus be signed. It already has Kitase's sig so I want to add to it.

Are programs given to all attendees? Or are these at additional cost?

Aku-Audi

Ha!

I do have FFX and XIII but my FFVII mus be signed. It already has Kitase's sig so I want to add to it.

Are programs given to all attendees? Or are these at additional cost?

I believe they are given out as they were in Germany.

Tweet from the London Symphony Orchestra;

" Live web chat with FINAL FANTASY® composers Nobuo Uematsu & Masashi Hamauzu 29 May 5.30pm BST, FB & G+ http://bit.ly/YYeovj. Send your Qs!"

On mobile so can't take a screeny.

Yes I made a thread for it separately as questions retaining anything outside of Final Symphony is permitted. If you don't want to submit your questions on Facebook, you can post in that thread and I will compile them and send them in for evaluation.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=558034

Aku-Audi

memories_logo.png

Audun: So your next project was based on the works of Nintendo. You mentioned earlier that Nintendo were always friendly and very easy to work with, but they are actually known to be very strict and difficult, especially when it comes to their music, so how did you experience them now when doing a full concert only with their music?

Thomas: The important thing to keep in mind is that we always dealt with Nintendo of Germany before, and dealing with them is quite different as one would expect. I went to Kyoto personally to sit down with the legal department and higher ups at Nintendo to pitch this show, and since they knew of me from the 2003 concert and beyond, they had trust in me. More importantly, Kondo was already a fan of Jonne’s work which helped us gain permission due to his endorsement.

What was most difficult however, was getting the permission for a live broadcast. Nintendo was adamantly against this idea, and really fought with me on that for months. We had broadcasted every show in Cologne since Shades, and I felt very strongly that this one should be no different, not to mention that WDR is a radio and TV station and needs the broadcast rights regardless in the contract. Eventually they saw it my way and allowed us to broadcast it live.

---

Audun: So in 2011, Symphonic Odysseys was like Shades before it, a tribute to a single composer, this time being Nobuo Uematsu. Did Uematsu have a lot of input on the concept and production?

Thomas: Not at all and that was because he himself didn’t want to know anything. After Symphonic Fantasies, and in particular Jonne’s arrangement of Secret of Mana, Uematsu was keen on hearing much more experimental takes on his music in that style, so when we told him that we were going ahead with the idea of doing a Uematsu tribute concert, he just said “Don’t tell me anything about it, I want to be surprised.”

[...] Actually I’ll tell you a story. Uematsu never responds to emails, I have known him for over 10 years and I have only received 2 emails from him, one of which was after Odysseys. I printed it out and hung it up on my wall, and it says “The concert was incredible, and please never forget that I will always be on your side. I admire your work.”

Symphonic Memories: Tales of Merregnon Studios (Part 3: Symphonic Legends, Symphonic Odysseys, Fantasies Tokyo)

Aku-Audi

If GAF people can, could you guys meet up the staircase outside door 2 (next to the steel tables) during intermission? Just so we can say thank you to your support as you guys have been very supportive and great since the concert was announced.

Thanks and see you tomorrow.

Top Bottom