• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final thoughts on Persona 3 + Fes

Doctor_No

Bebpo said:
You can emulate Saturn games on PSP? Because I'm pretty sure they only released DS1 on PSP.

You're right its the DS, the one with the guy with the hair slicked back on the cover.

Though I'm sure the PSP could do DS2 since most of battles were still in 2D sprites.

Sagitario

Himuro said:
Devil Summoner = this is just a guess, but action rpg with menu based combat. Meant to appeal to potential fans who aren't into turn based combat. Exploration and adventure elements emphasized unlike DDS and SMT3.

If what Himuro says is accurate, I've a feeling I will like this game... :)

Avalon

Doctor_No said:
You're right its the DS, the one with the guy with the hair slicked back on the cover.

Though I'm sure the PSP could do DS2 since most of battles were still in 2D sprites.

Stupid SCEA... I just bought a PSP too.

Alts

I certainly wasn't expecting Persona 3 to be better than SMT3, which was my favorite RPG this generation. The format of the game, the alternate dungeon and school system, sounds perfect for me, because I'll be in the middle of college, and I won't be able to sit down for very long extended periods of time. Suikoden V was hell to get through last year.

Doctor_No

Farore said:
If what Himuro says is accurate, I've a feeling I will like this game... :)

Personally, that was my opinon too before I played the game.

This is just my opinon, because I think there are people that really liked this game, but the real-time battle system to me was big let down, and the system, I thought, was poorly executed.

You can only summon one devil, and they pretty much move automatically (though you can give orders, especially since the AI of your devil is pretty bad and sometimes fustrating). The problem is most of the battles you can win with just button mashing with your sword and gun and isn't very fun or involving, and its really hard to get into the whole creation of new devils like others in the series.

The most the battle usually is just two moves, a 3-hit combo (by mashing the button), and a spin move, and the MP runs out pretty fast so you really stuck with the button mashing moves most of the time unless its a boss battle or you're trying to capture the enemy.

Also the devil creation system is kinda pointless since there are only around 80 devils you can create in the game, the whole problem comes where most of the devils you can combine pretty much shows up in the next chapter of the game, making it kinda pointless of going through the trouble of making your own devil since you can just capture the enemy by hitting its weak point just a little later in the game.

But you gotta give Atlus credit for trying to do something new.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Im still looking foward to Devil Summoner. An ARPG set in the MegaTen universe is a neat idea and if the aventure elements of the game hold up pretty well then I dont mind buttom mashing or whatever.

P2 has a pretty bad battle system and I still enjoy the game.

Error

I've been playing through DDS again and I must say the VA is absolutely awesome, I hope Atlus gives P3 the same or better treatment. that's my major fear with the NA version, the VA.

Shouta

They're gonna need to, there's a huge amount of Voice Acting in Persona 3 and it really adds a lot to the story sequences and characters. They had a lot of big name voice actors in the JP version of the game (Akira Ishida, Hikaru Midorikawa, Maaya Sakamoto, and a few others) in the game.

Shouta

I wasn't totally impressed by it myself although it was good so I'm still apprehensive especially since the JP voices are so nice.

Error

Argilla VA is amazing in the NA version, she is my favorite character in DDS

Avalon

Shouta said:
I wasn't totally impressed by it myself although it was good so I'm still apprehensive especially since the JP voices are so nice.

I'm sure those who played the NA version first feel the same way. I know I certianly couldn't play the game with the JP voices.

Error

seriously I wouldnt use the JP VA if I were to choose between the english VA and the japanese VA in DDS.

and english VA actually fits more than the japanese VA in DDS imo, in P3 is the exact opposite but oh well. I still hope for an excellent VA like in DDS.

Error

ftw!

plus her Atma form has boobs with mouths!

Shouta

Argilla is the best voice in DDS although Roland is a close second. I didn't like anyone else all that much.

I was also refering to Persona 3 Avalon, not DDS since I never played DDS in Japanese =P.

Danj

On the Atlus message boards they seem to be implying that it's already possible to preorder Persona 3 US, but the only place I've even seen a listing for it is at Amazon.com, and a) they have the wrong date (seeing as how there isn't an official date and even the unofficial date is like February or March or something) and b) they don't ship console games outside North America. So like, where are people preordering it? There's no listing on gamestop or ebgames, and not even any search results for "persona" on videogamesplus.ca which is where I'd want to get it from.

Error

as soon as I can preorder P3 I will preorder it.

but I went to EB a couple of days ago and asked they didnt have it yet for preorders. atlus hasnt given the game a definite release date so that might explain why the game isnt available for preorder yet.

Shouta

We seriously need to get you a better Aegis avatar Error. Wish I knew how to rip the art in the game from the PS2 disc to get some of the awesome ones of her.

Error

yeah I want a better avatar of her I looked for hi-res art but couldn't find crap :(

all I found was art from scans.

I made that one from a vid bebpo made showing the dungeon crawling of the game.

Error

I watched that vid again and bebpo sux! :lol he doesnt let Aegis attack

so no avatar material for me there :(

Shouta

Time to bring out an uber old thread of mine!

So, after some thought on whether I would start a game of Persona 3 Fes: Episode Yourself or Super Robot Wars Alpha 3, I decided it would be P3 (I also just finished SRW MX).

So I'm gonna update this thread a bit more as I go through the game again with thoughts on the new additions and changes and I'll be able to make videos if anyone would like some as I play. Also, because the game is close to release, I want to tease y'all some more. >=D

Jirotrom

Shouta said:

So, after some thought on whether I would start a game of Persona 3 Fes: Episode Yourself or Super Robot Wars Alpha 3, I decided it would be P3 (I also just finished SRW MX).

So I'm gonna update this thread a bit more as I go through the game again with thoughts on the new additions and changes and I'll be able to make videos if anyone would like some as I play. Also, because the game is close to release, I want to tease y'all some more. >=D
I hate that you can understand japanese and i can't.

Avalon

To be honest, I'm really burnt out on Persona 3 impression. I just want to play the damn game already!

I would like to hear your thoughts on the overall setting though Shouta.

DarknessTear said:
But of course you're going to get Wild Arms V as well right?

Eh, why have you been trotting out Wild Arms V in every Persona 3 thread?

Shouta

Jirotrom said:
I hate that you can understand japanese and i can't.

It took work to get to where I am! Don't be hatin'! =P

Anyway, I was just putzing with one clip of the English version (with talking) I saw on IGN and I checked it in the JP version. I noticed one of the lines was a little different in the English version but it cut off before the rest of the conversation was done. I wanted to see if they had changed the subject in it. =|

Hope 505 Gamestreet or Ghostlight.uk picks this up for a PAL release. Atlus jRPGs have been the best for the PS2 so far, DDS2 aside of course.

Shouta

Avalon said:
He wants some attention I guess.... missing the 666 in the previous thread and everything. :p

It's total mod abuse, yo. I get to do it every once and awhile.

WalkMan

Banned
Shouta said:

Take us through the entire game with videos. It'd make everyone feel better about Fes not leaving Japan. Watching someone else play sometimes is just as good as playing yourself :(

Shouta

WalkMan said:
Take us through the entire game with videos. It'd make everyone feel better about Fes not leaving Japan. Watching someone else play sometimes is just as good as playing yourself :(

Man, I'd need new hardware and lots of time for that. :lol

Shouta

So, I've got about 20 hours into the game already and I'm in mid-June in the game. I decided to play on Hard and lordy, it's like Nocturne's Hard mode and perhaps even more evil. I'm approaching my average death rate in Nocturne Hard already :lol

The changes in the game are pretty nice. There are tons of new missions and they really eat up your time and get you to explore. There are a number of a new events and they mixed up a bunch of other things. For example, test lecture and test questions in school are different now. Quite a few new Persona and many of the old Persona have new or mixed skill sets. So the new skill sets are definitely grooving with me.

Error

I thought you were just going to play Aegis Chapter, I believe no one in the FES thread played through the 'enhanced' P3.

Shouta

Error said:
I thought you were just going to play Aegis Chapter, I believe no one in the FES thread played through the 'enhanced' P3.

Nope, I'm playing through P3 again. I'll play Episode Aegis after I finish it again or around the time it takes place in the story.

Shouta

So, I finished my second run through the game now with the Fes additions this time. They’re definitely very nice as additions to the main game. I don’t recall new bits to the story but I remember seeing various bits that really enhanced the flow and atmosphere of the game. There were a few more events involving the characters interacting including the community characters. That was really something that was needed in the game. There were also a few hidden events in the game as well that aren’t present in Persona 3.

The best part is that you get a bit of closure to each of the communities in the game. This wasn’t present in the original Persona 3. Whatever communities you’ve maxed will have an end sequence when you finish the game. This really helps to top off their storylines which felt incomplete in the original. Some of the scenes are funny, some are somber, and others are pretty sweet.

The battle additions are really nice. The new versions of the persona skill lists are pretty nice and the additional persona in the communities is welcome as well. The weapon fusing isn’t a huge part of the game but can be somewhat helpful if you spend the time to do it. Some of the special weapons you get from it are really awesome though. The addition of hard mode is fantastic though. Some of the boss fights are even tougher than before and really require plans and preparation for it. I’d say the game on hard mode is probably equivalent to Nocturne on Hard mode but far less punishing because of the One More battle system.

As for the game experience itself, I really enjoy it more the second time around. I didn’t have to worry about maxing stats for the community stuff because I imported my old data so I could focus on Tartaros and figuring out which communities I wanted to max. I also got to notice some things about the story that I hadn’t notice the first time around. I do wish there were more unique events still and more interaction between the community/classmate characters. Seeing banter between them in some of the new events made me want more. :lol

Anyway, I just started Episode Aegis so I’ll post some thoughts on that when I get done

Shouta

So I finished Episode Aegis last night. I'm really impressed with it. I thought it might feel tacked on but that wasn't the case. It worked really well and provided quite a bit of story despite being like 80% dungeon crawler. It's definitely a shame that Fes isn't likely to come here because Episode Aegis and the additions to the main P3 story are well worth it.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Sorry to bump a really old thread... but..

Just finished Persona 3 US review copy and I felt it was a really good game, seriously my best gaming experience of 2007 so far... The localization team did an EXCELLENT job, I was very happy with the end result and how well polished the game was...

Like others in this thread have said, the story isn't crazy overwhelming/omg we must make a movie or anything, but it works. Works well might I add...

I'd 100% recc this to anyone looking for an RPG to play... :)

Shouta

You're gonna hate it if we never get Fes for Episode Aegis then Mark. It's basically the "real" ending of the game and does a lot to wrap up the main the storyline and wrap it up for many of the characters.

MarkMan

loves Arcade Sticks
Shouta said:
You're gonna hate it if we never get Fes for Episode Aegis then Mark. It's basically the "real" ending of the game and does a lot to wrap up the main the storyline and wrap it up for many of the characters.

vaderno.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Damn it... Is there anywhere I can read up on it? I'm curious now, I know I won't play it because I can't read Japanese at all :(

We will get Fes. Believe. The only reason I have to hope for that is what else does Atlus have to bring from across the pond? There's a couple of other PS2 games and...? Aside from Trauma Center Redux, what games has Atlus JP made for the newer systems? None as of yet, and none are coming in the near future that I know of. We will get Fes. Atlus doesn't hate money like Sega does, and they know we would buy Fes. The sad, the few, the proud--MegaTen fans.

dili

Idk,After hearing the response Avalon recieved from Atlus concerning FES,I really don't think theres a good chance of seeing it localized for NA.

But if Persona 3 meets Atlus sales expactation (doubtful),It could change their mind I suppose.

Avalon

dillenger said:
Idk,After hearing the response Avalon recieved from Atlus concerning FES,I really don't think theres a good chance of seeing it localized for NA.

But if Persona 3 meets Atlus sales expactation (doubtful),It could change their mind I suppose.

Meh. Email was typical PR answer, however....

http://www.rpgamer.com/news/Q2-2007/060307b.html

That is far worse. :(

Or maybe, there is hope... http://www.siliconera.com/2007/07/02/atlus-at-anime-expo/

“we can't say anything right now. We have to discuss it a little more. There is a possibility, of course, that it will be released. I just don't know.”

They also mention how they didn't even know about FES! I knew it. :)

Yasser

"The act of pointing a gun-like device at yourself is considered violence (even though no death or injury occurs). There are other usual things like punks smoking and cussing and adults drinking alcohol."
the game got a M rating for those reasons?? is the language really strong?

Avalon

Yasser said:
"The act of pointing a gun-like device at yourself is considered violence (even though no death or injury occurs). There are other usual things like punks smoking and cussing and adults drinking alcohol."
the game got a M rating for those reasons?? is the language really strong?

From what I read, the language definitely warrants an M rating. Lots of talk about drugs, suicide, sex.

Shouta

MarkMan said:
vaderno.jpg

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Damn it... Is there anywhere I can read up on it? I'm curious now, I know I won't play it because I can't read Japanese at all :(

I wrote a full story summary of what goes on with the Fes story if you want to read it. I had to cut it down for length because it would've been like 10 pages. :lol

Top Bottom