• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FInal Trailer for Netflix Avatar: Avatar Last Airbender Released

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Never watched the original series but I really liked One Piece and I never saw that either. Hoping they can pull it off again.

It seems they're following most of the notes behind the original cartoon series... Humor, powers, martial arts, etc. I can't wait! We're in for a treat!

Fart Knight

Al Pachinko, Konami President
tumblr_p2x1d6PXg81s70qh2o1_1280.pnj

belmarduk

It seems they're following most of the notes behind the original cartoon series... Humor, powers, martial arts, etc. I can't wait! We're in for a treat!

I think you're right. The One Piece live action was postively received and I think this is going to be great. Its good to see someone else optimistic about this.

Soodanim

This looks good. It will make up for the previous live action, I'm sure.

The problem is, I've just finished a rewatch and I don't know what's gained by having it live action. Netflix might gain viewers, and that's fine from a business perspective, but personally I'm not impressed by CGI and the original was well made and didn't leave me wanting more.

I'll watch it as it will be there, but I can take or leave it.

The problem is, I've just finished a rewatch and I don't know what's gained by having it live action.
I recommend people here don’t do this and view the live action version first, before a rewatch of the animated one, so that you can judge it on it’s own merits.

When people watch the animated version first they have a habit of nitpicking the live action version to death, even when it is good on it’s own merits like One Piece.

Those same people are going to be so busy looking for nitpicks that they won’t even be able to just enjoy the show.

DelireMan7

So the first season will adapt Book 1, I guess ? No Toph for the moment...

So eager to see her in the live action. This character is so cool.

main-qimg-9a372bfbe05e213b1723034e1439fe04

the legend of korra lol GIF

Last edited:

Soodanim

I recommend people here don’t do this and view the live action version first, before a rewatch of the animated one, so that you can judge it on it’s own merits.

When people watch the animated version first they have a habit of nitpicking the live action version to death, even when it is good on it’s own merits like One Piece.

Those same people are going to be so busy looking for nitpicks that they won’t even be able to just enjoy the show.
Even though I don't plan on trying to nitpick, I agree with the advice. Comparison is something you can't really help if you've seen the original. Same happens for book to movie adaptations.

I wonder how they are going to get Book 1 into a ~2 hour runtime.

DelireMan7

I believe Azula isn't in season one of the cartoon yet she's in this. So, we'll see.
Ho true that. I think she's introduced in Book 2.

But as they showed a lot of the North Pole siege, I guess this will be the culminating point of the season (so end of Book 1 : Water)
I guess they'll save Toph for the Season 2 and the earthbending teaching.

They probably decide to introduce Azula quicker as she one of the main antagonist toward the end. Will see how it plays. I liked the evolution of Zuko in the series. Him being the main villain on Book 1 plays a big part on his personal journey.

taizuke

Ho true that. I think she's introduced in Book 2.

But as they showed a lot of the North Pole siege, I guess this will be the culminating point of the season (so end of Book 1 : Water)
I guess they'll save Toph for the Season 2 and the earthbending teaching.

They probably decide to introduce Azula quicker as she one of the main antagonist toward the end. Will see how it plays. I liked the evolution of Zuko in the series. Him being the main villain on Book 1 plays a big part on his personal journey.

I rather they tease Toph for season 2. Introducing her this early would be awesome but she needs a proper introduction and arc. I fear having her in season 1 of Netflix would dilute her as a character.

I am concerned with introducing Azula early and it's for the same reason, but with Zuko. They probably wanted to add another female character on the show but in doing so it might take away from Zuko's personal journey (like you said) as a villain.

DelireMan7

I rather they tease Toph for season 2. Introducing her this early would be awesome but she needs a proper introduction and arc. I fear having her in season 1 of Netflix would dilute her as a character.

I am concerned with introducing Azula early and it's for the same reason, but with Zuko. They probably wanted to add another female character on the show but in doing so it might take away from Zuko's personal journey (like you said) as a villain.
Agreed 100%.

Toph need a proper introduction and arc. I could see a tease at the end of season 1.

And yes, Zuko being the main antagonist on book 1 is quite important for his arc. Let's see how it plays out with Azula coming early.

Anyway live action is not a 1:1 remake but another vision. I don't expect to like it as much as the anime but still looks good so far.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I'm on episode 5... Gonna have to get some sleep tho. I stayed up all night! But what I saw, I liked a lot. They had to compress some things to fit into 8 episodes but they made it work, IMO! I'm feeling loopy so I should get some rest. Or try to. Yip Yip!

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Finally saw all 8 episodes! The finale was the most emotional one. And the most action packed and most faithful to the cartoon finale.

taizuke

Only seen episode one. Liking it so far. The beginning felt a bit cheap, especially the air nomads in both wardrobe and acting. But, once Anng comes out of the ice and starts interacting with Sokka and Katara, the episode began to click for me. The actor playing Zuko feels like the anime come to life. One of my favorite things about the episode.

Last edited:

DelireMan7

Curious to start. Recently refinished the cartoon and now in a middle of rewatching Korra (liking itbetter than the first time, still way inferior to the Last airbender). I am gonna wait till I finish Korra to watch it.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Curious to start. Recently refinished the cartoon and now in a middle of rewatching Korra (liking itbetter than the first time, still way inferior to the Last airbender). I am gonna wait till I finish Korra to watch it.

I feel like you're setting yourself up for recency bias by doing it this way. It's been months since my last rewatch of ATLA and I found myself thoroughly enjoying the new live action show... Some nitpicks I noticed but nothing to take me out of it or do an outrage YouTuber reaction. This is only book one, keep in mind, over 8 episodes. There's a lot that's been truncated or remixed to allow the story be told in 8 episodes. Just don't go into it thinking it'll be a 1:1 to the toon. It's an adaptation which, by definition, will have some differences from the source material... Differences that I think worked for what they were doing.

DelireMan7

I feel like you're setting yourself up for recency bias by doing it this way. It's been months since my last rewatch of ATLA and I found myself thoroughly enjoying the new live action show... Some nitpicks I noticed but nothing to take me out of it or do an outrage YouTuber reaction. This is only book one, keep in mind, over 8 episodes. There's a lot that's been truncated or remixed to allow the story be told in 8 episodes. Just don't go into it thinking it'll be a 1:1 to the toon. It's an adaptation which, by definition, will have some differences from the source material... Differences that I think worked for what they were doing.
No worry, I commented few messages above that I consider live action not 1:1 remake but another vision with some differences.

I know I'll prefer the cartoon because I think this TLAB is the perfect series/cartoon. But I'll not hating on the live action because it's different.

I've never watched the cartoon series, it was never a thing in my country. So I watch this show as someone new to the series. So far (ep 3) it's kind of boring, conversation is whack, acting is stiff,.. At least the CGI and vfx are really good.

RLX99on.png

Ouch, as a big fan of the original show, it pains me to see them mess this up, not once, but twice.

Last edited:

taizuke

Just watched episode 2. I'm not fully sold on the actress playing Katara. She's fine and she is likeable and i do like that she is learning slowly how to water bend. But, as oppose to almost everyone else, she feels a little off. Hopefully that'll change as i keep watching.

I will say it's nice to see the show let the male characters shine. A lot of modern writing tends to favor female empowerment which i was afraid knowing some stuff has been removed due to being deemed "sexist". That said, they're also allowing the female characters to shine as well. So, it doesn't feel one-sided. At least not yet.

Last edited:

taizuke

So the first season will adapt Book 1, I guess ? No Toph for the moment...

So eager to see her in the live action. This character is so cool.

Don't know if you've seen this, but I'm hoping she looks as good as this:

I hear this is from the Netflix stunt team, but I haven't been able to confirm it.

Also, watched episode 3. This is, in my opinion, the weakest episode so far. That said, Zuko continues to be one of the main highlights of the show.

Last edited:

TVexperto

why is everything so clean in this show? also it seems they are filming in the same style as mandalorian.. no real shots of them walking etc

Top Bottom