• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally, the era of problematic birds is over

Jsisto

“We've come to understand that there are certain names that have offensive or derogatory connotations that cause pain to people, and that it is important to change those, to remove those as barriers to their participation in the world of birds”

I for one am tired of having to hear and see these birds squawking and chirping proudly with their racist and problematic names that trigger me. I’m glad this is FINALLY being adressed because it’s not like there’s any more urgent of important problems going on.

Not reading, but with the decline in the bird population, it would be nice if we planted more native plants and grasses to increase the bird and insect populations, since we're continually decimating their habitats. Songbirds in particular would benefit the most.

bitbydeath

charlieday-bird-law.gif

So fucking overdue. I always wanted to look at a bird but knowing that a white person named that bird caused me such anxiety that when it flies by I just look at my feet like a fucking peasant in the presence of Prince Harry and Queen Meghan Markle their very selves.

Methos#1975

This is officially one of the dumbest things I've ever seen. Best part is the Latin names for many species indicate who first discovered and named them and that's far harder to change.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
If you take a good pheasant that you catch and use the feathers to brush on the glazed seasoning, that son of a bitch makes a really good and tender Peking duck style au-jew reduction.

What I would do is partially broil it after grilling it on a low heat on your traeger grill. You let the succulent juices pour down into a pan and take the feathers. And gently caress the posterior of the bird like you. Would your lover when they are sleeping. That kind of dedication is what gets you a good bird.

Trilobit

"SWAT arresting hateful ornithologist who used the verboten name McCown's longspur"

iu

I think I'm just going to invent my own names for birds now. It's easier that way. This is an "Inclusionary White-But-Not-Supremacist Bird":

Great-egret.jpg

This is a "Black-Face-But-Not-Like-In-A-Racist-Way Bird"

860711.jpg

I'm curious, are they going after latin names as well? Because there are a whole bunch of species that are named after black people etc.

ShadowNate

I've lost track. Can you not use/say "black" again in the US? Is it considered derogatory if used as descriptive or as a specifier in a name for a bird species?

Soodanim

From the article:
One notable exception came in 2000, however, when the society renamed a bird that's now called the Long-tailed Duck because of concerns that its previous name was derogatory to Native Americans.

Okay, Google that to find the original name as they were too scared to type it. Wiki, here I come.

In North American English it is sometimes called oldsquaw, though this name has fallen out of favour. In 2000, the American Ornithologists' Union (AOU) formally adopted the name long-tailed duck, in response to petitioning by a group of biologists who feared that the former name would be offensive to Native American tribes whose help was required for conservation efforts.
And we follow the citation trail.

Massachusett, a native Algonquian language, has the word "squa" which means "Young woman", which was borrowed to become "Squaw". Fine. But some scholars in the 1970s argued that when the non-natives actually meant the usage to be from the Mohican word "ojiskwa", meaning vagina.

tl;dr NPR were too scared to call it by its true name: old pussy.

Last edited:

Jsisto

From the article:

Okay, Google that to find the original name as they were too scared to type it. Wiki, here I come.

Okay, follow the citation trail.

Massachusett, a native Algonquian language, has the word "squa" which means "Young woman", which was borrowed to become "Squaw". Fine. But because some scholars in the 1970s argued that when the non-natives actually meant the usage to be from the Mohican word "ojiskwa", meaning vagina.

tl;dr NPR were too scared to call it by its true name: old pussy.
Old pussy is not that appealing, so I support this one.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
"Names are important for humans. And this is absolutely a human-driven exercise," she says. "They're important for the people who watch birds and the communities who may or may not feel very welcome, if all the birds are named after these old European ornithologists."

Isn't there anybody with an ounce of common sense left to stop the madness? How many recent immigrants in the US actually feel "unwelcome" when they realize some birds were named after white people? That's outright racism, but leftist activists see no problem in making this notion acceptable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom