• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finally, the era of problematic birds is over

Tams

Not reading, but with the decline in the bird population, it would be nice if we planted more native plants and grasses to increase the bird and insect populations, since we're continually decimating their habitats. Songbirds in particular would benefit the most.

No, no, no!

We need to be more InCLusIvE and get rid of these raysist and OPPRESSIVE names! It'll bring in more DiVeRsItY to the birding community!

nkarafo

I wonder how future generations will think of the 2010's/2020's. Are they going to compare them with the witch hunt dark ages in terms of human stupidity? Are all the dumb changes like this one going to be undone? There's no way humanity will want to remember those days except for when they want to laugh at them (i hope).

Durien

Imagine what good would come if instead of this collosal waste of time, they spent that time on conservation. Did anyone, ANYONE, say, "My first day of bird watching. Is that Anna's Hummingbird? This is so racist. I'll never watch birds again."

No, no, no!

We need to be more InCLusIvE and get rid of these raysist and OPPRESSIVE names! It'll bring in more DiVeRsItY to the birding community!

I listen to NPR a lot, nearly daily, so I did end up hearing this story.

Ultimately it makes sense to rename the birds to features that are descriptive. It makes them easier to identify; they can be named after their characteristics. If removing the name of a dead person who was a slave owner or a racist helps bring a miniscule amount of people into the flock, so be it. It is meaningless to you: meaningless to me. When we're dead no one will care they were renamed. It's a good decision that will provide better common names for birds.

Last edited:

-Minsc-

I wanted to contribute to this thread so I'm posting an image of the perfect fellow to take on this case.

DgyVrmp.jpg

-Minsc-

mMxSdfI.gif

Pretty sure most birds don't care about names.

Do Not Worry
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?
28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30 If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32 For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33 But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

Xyphie

1920px-Secretary_bird_Mara_for_WC.jpg

Secretarybird isn't on the list? You'd think that would be the #1 sexist bird. Guess it's safe as it's African.

Last edited:
Top Bottom