• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Finding myself turning to old(er) games more, and more...

Psajdak

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I do think that most games nowadays look, and feel amazing, and pretty much the only thing I dislike is many of them running below 60fps post 2010 (sorry, cinematic effect thing doesn't mean anything to me).

It's just, games are kinda becoming too huge in every aspect, IMO.

I'm actually intent to get consoles like NES, SNES, PS1, original Xbox, etc., even some good CRT monitor...

Dunno, gaming now is awesome, just not gaming I once fell in love with...

BlackTron

For me the Switch is the sweet spot. It has a lot of old games, made somewhat fresher with the portable/docked option. For its new titles, Nintendo's first party stuff often runs very well, as in 60FPS, with a focus on performance and fun factor rather than cinematic effect and high poly counts.

The Switch's combo of indie titles, ports of old games and quality first party output, paired with a PC for everything else, has kept gaming from going stale for me.

Your complaints sound like someone bored with the PS/XB pattern. I hardly use either anymore.

Virex

Banned
I still play all my old consoles. There's a good reason the older consoles are looked at so fondly and not just because of nostalgia. Games were good, fun and free of politics, dlc, mandatory internet connection and games weren't the artsy pretentious bullshit they are now. They were meant to be as fun as possible. So you're not alone OP. The older games were good. Some of them shit. But overall they were really good.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Letting go of the corporate-fed hype culture -- which props up every game as something every gamer needs to play lest they "miss out" -- allows you to see how and why modern gaming isn't catering to your tastes.

Like you said, it's not that modern gaming sucks. It's just that you're no longer buying into the hype and instead are (rightly) taking a wider view of gaming for your satisfaction.

Mista

Banned
Letting go of the corporate-fed hype culture -- which props up every game as something every gamer needs to play lest they "miss out" -- allows you to see how and why modern gaming isn't catering to your tastes.

Like you said, it's not that modern gaming sucks. It's just that you're no longer buying into the hype and instead are (rightly) taking a wider view of gaming for your satisfaction.
Couldn’t say it any better. Well said dad

Orenji Neko

Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, most of the newer games I play today tend to have some aspects of games I enjoyed in the past, or are just sequels to games I grew up on. For me, the PC and the Switch fill my needs perfectly for the recent games as well as classic re-releases (or in the case of PC, I can just install and run an older game), and for everything else I have all my older systems from the 8 and 16bit days. Even with my particular tastes, I still have tons upon tons of games to play, with countless hours of entertainment available.

100% this right there. I couldn't have said it better myself. I've had a couple of friends who actually enjoyed gaming more, and felt so much better when I helped them adopt this mentality and break free from all that nonsense.

Caffeine

ye man Ive gone from day 1 to just going back into the catalog and enjoying games with less padded grind. I let games pass and maybe pick them up in the future on sale.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
At times yes, games launching today with desperate hype shouldn't be any surprise. Advantage you if you can still find the fun factor.

I personally adore Playdead's 2 games(LIMBO & Inside) because of dead-simple mechanics, no cut-scenes, fixed-camera, beautiful soundtrack and emphasis on a balance between horror and puzzles.

I'm really looking forward to TUNIC for similar reasons.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Sometimes I'm into the older stuff, but a lot of the time I just can't play it. NES and SNES classic sat here unplayed for the most part.

I do really enjoy playing 3DS still though, and some 360 / PS3 games.

Shotpun

This happened to me couple years ago, combination of me getting older and games that interest me are getting rarer and rarer. The war of three billion launchers on PC side isn't helping either. This is the list of games I've finished this year and what I'm currently playing:

Finished:

PC:
Doom (1993)

PS1:
Crash Bandicoot (1996)
Crash Bandicoot 2 (1997)
Crash Bandicoot: Warped (1998)
Resident Evil (1996)
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Tomb Raider (1996)

Currently Playing:

PC:
Doom 2 (1994)

PS1:
Tomb Raider II (1997)

The hype train for next gen consoles is taking off and I'm here wondering should I buy a PS2. My golden age of gaming came and went, but I'm fine with that. Nostalgy is one helluva drug and I've got a big pile of it.

While battle royales, real money in-game shops, PC launcher bullshit and good old anti-consumerism that continuously seems to reach new hights are as appealing to me as going to a dentist who works through your anus.

Sleepydays

Banned
Yeah, I'm there too. I've picked up a Super NT and an AVS in preparation of bowing out of the PS/XBOX thing.

I'll always keep an eye on Nintendo, but I don't find much about modern gaming enjoyable. I have limited down-time as a new parent: I don't want 20 minute install times, ham-fisted political proselytizing and nickel-and-diming.

A few years ago, when the 1080's were brand new and before the bitcoin explosion, I decided to jump back into PC gaming. I bought myself a badass PC with a shiny new 1080 so I could run everything in 1440p with blazing framerates. My PC still does that, but I spend 90% of my playtime playing retro stuff or pixel indies that would run on my toaster.

Enjay

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I do think that most games nowadays look, and feel amazing, and pretty much the only thing I dislike is many of them running below 60fps post 2010 (sorry, cinematic effect thing doesn't mean anything to me).

It's just, games are kinda becoming too huge in every aspect, IMO.

I'm actually intent to get consoles like NES, SNES, PS1, original Xbox, etc., even some good CRT monitor...

Dunno, gaming now is awesome, just not gaming I once fell in love with...
You've become numb to the modern developer and their bullshit being a publisher's slave problem.

Tarin02543

Thank you. I already have Virtua Fighter, Fighting Vipers and Robotica (Deadalus in Japan).

This week I've bought my very first neo geo cd game, Flying Power Disc (aka Windjammers), I paid 70 euro. I remember playing it during a school trip in the UK in the hotel we were staying, and somehow I've always wanted to relive that memory.

Wink

Getting my Wii setup as an emulator machine and playing translated JRPGs on it has pretty much taken up all my game time since late last year til Sekiro. Right now playing Gamecube RE2.
There's just something about how current gaming feels to me at the moment that exhausts me. Economies, huge to do lists of busy work, everything has loot and rpg mechanics... even great games I do enjoy playing like God of War 2018 follow those examples and it just is too much. Very happy that indies exist and that From is capable of putting out a well balanced mtx free single player game in 2019, but I feel like three of the bigger games per year is more than enough for me now.

petran79

Banned
I like playing old games too but revamped for new tech.
Eg playing Zdoom engine Doom at 21:9 res and 100fps instead of those crt eye straining pc monitors.

Last edited:
Here's my formula:

Current Generation: Online-multiplayer games such as FIFA, Overwatch, Tekken 7, Rainbow Six Siege, and GTA Online.

Previous Generations: Single-player games such as God of War trilogy, Elder Scrolls Oblivion, Splinter Cell Trilogy, and Persona 3 FES.

I'll be the first to admit that I play online multiplayer more than single-player games but that's because the community for those games are active and don't last forever. The single-player games will always be there with me as long as they're physical copies of the game.

I was thinking the same yesterday, after playing dead or alive 6. Really a bad game, with stupid story mode, unnecessary and idiots unlockable gift (a piece of costume/outfit?? Wtf) and orrible gameplay. Give me back sf2!!!

SpiceRacz

I'm right there with you. I find that I lose interest in modern games pretty quickly. I'm dedicating the rest of the year to playing through all the old RPGs I either never played or finished. Currently playing Grandia and FF7.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I play games, I read NeoGaf, but Im not "into gaming" in that way.

I tend to ignore crazy hype or previews. When games are released that interest me I check GAF for what others think. If its cool I may pick it up when its on sale.

I dont really play mulitplayer though so there is that. The only multiplayer game I am hyped about is Borderlands 3 for coop campaign

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
That hasn’t happens to me yet at age 40. I have an SNES classic loaded with extra roms, other emulators and tons of roms on PC and pretty much never touch them. I did a 100% playthrough of Super Mario World on the Classic when I got it, and have barely touched it since.

I just enjoy current gen AAA and indie games more than old games still.

Daymos

I don't play online and I think 720p on an xbox360, wii U, or ps3 looks fantastic.... so games really haven't advanced for me since 2008 or so. Photo-realistic open worlds don't really mean alot when you're just driving around in a boring car trying to get to the next lame quest point.

I like fun & interesting characters, easy to follow but engaging stories, addicting gameplay, all things it's easier to find in older games. Playing Tales of Vesperia for the first time right now and its easily among the top 5 experiences I've had in the 10 years since it came out.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I have been playing mostly old games this year and still I am playing Final Fantasy VI and Earthworm Jim 3D as companions to the new Yoshi game Crafted World.

Old games, particular before the online stuff invaded games, are my forte.

Last edited:
C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Same here, been playing a lot of old games recently. Played through all the FFXIII games on the X, jumped to Vesperia, then FFIX, and currently FFX. Funnily enough, one of my favorite games so far this year is one that got trashed for being like a PS2 game, namely Left Alive. It has its fair share of problems, for sure, but the core is so good I'm thinkikg of replaying.

Bankai

I love going back and play "older" games. I have a huge ps3 backlog, as well as many (original) Xbox titles. I play them in between current-gen stuff. For example, I recently finished LA Noire on Ps3. Now I'm playing (and loving) The Surge on Ps4. After it, I'll probably play Jet Set Radio HD on Ps3 or Voodoo Vince on (original) Xbox.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Good games should be played - but that doesn't necessarily mean that newer games are awful. They are just as good - but you want to give yourself some diversity in your gaming lineup. As amazing as Persona 5 is, sometimes you just want to play Final Fantasy IX. As fun as Resident Evil 2 Remake was, sometimes you are just itchin' for some 16 bit horror with Clock Tower.

Petrae

The relative convenience of older/non-internet games is part of what makes them so attractive. Playing games with no patches to download, no mandatory wait times for game installs, and no microtransactions or DLC shoved in my face is pretty awesome.

We had it great in Gen6, when publishers were jamming as much content as they could into games. Even though online play was underway, shitty DLC practices— the vehicle for charging for all of this content that used to be free— weren’t yet a thing.

Thankfully, I got into game collecting just before the retro market got crazy, so I’ve accumulated a decent library of games and consoles to keep me busy once I make the jump back to retro once this console generation ends. Revisiting games like Baldur’s Gate: Dark Alliance, The Simpsons: Hit & Run, SoulCalibur II, Axelay, Super Spike V’Ball, and others is always a joy.

PS5? New Xbox? Nope. Not for me. I’m done with the bullshit. Time to retire from the modern gaming scene and enjoy what I already have.

anthraticus

Banned
It's called getting older & wiser. And I don't agree with the new games 'feeling amazing' part, as many feel very automated in how your character controls compared to older games. look at stuff like modern sports games and Uncharted for instance.

They're more about the looks/presentation, first and foremost now.

Last edited:

lock2k

Banned
I'm with you op. I call it the Planet of the Apes' forbidden zone paradox. The more you go to the past, the more advanced things become. Modern triple A gaming is B.S.

zenspider

I'm with you op. I call it the Planet of the Apes' forbidden zone paradox. The more you go to the past, the more advanced things become. Modern triple A gaming is B.S.

I agree. There were so many gameplay and story innovations in the past that just hit marketing 'evolutionary' dead ends.

That's why I've been going hard on the indie scene lately. Many devs are going back to the past and reviving these dormant evolutionary branches, while AAA has continued to homogenize.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I would have agree with you if all I played was loot shooters or MP focus games. In fact last year the only western game I bought was God of War and this year none. I’m happy with this gen thanks to single player Japanese games.

I would say my biggest issue with modern AAA western games is that they lost that “gamy” feel from the past and instead they too focus on giving us “realism” or “immersive” experience and also they no longer interested giving us proper level design and instead they just give us open world. They still some western games I enjoy but I’m quickly starting to get bored of them and frustrated over how they like to design their games.

3March

Banned
Same. I found myself mostly disappointed with current-gen games, and PS4 exclusives. So I stepped back 1 or 2 generations, and found myself loving games like Danganronpa, Infamous 2, DMC3, and Ninja Gaiden.

While I enjoyed some games like Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, and AC Odyssey, I generally find myself enjoying games that embrace their gaminess a lot more.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I must be the opposite. I keep telling the intern at work to get Sekiro. He's still a college student and says he has to wait till classes are out. I told him to get MK11 because he's into Evo. He wants to wait for reviews. I tell my other coworker to play Dark Souls III because I gave him a Steam key of it. He's never played it. I sold him my physical copies of Injustice 2 and God of War because I have most of them digitally.

They tend to like last gen Steam games, games on XBox, MineCraft, and one of them only started getting games after he got into PSVR.

I feel like the only person spending $65-$107 on a game.

I've enjoyed it. Once I finish a big game there's this stretch of time until the next one comes out. I talked about MK11 and Days Gone with my coworkers who game. I know they'll wait till MK11 is super cheap to get it.

I guess money matters little to me. I also like to buy new releases and retro games. I budget $65 a month for a new release, this month I budgeted $107 for MK11 because I had paid off Days Gone with gift cards.

I guess I get what everyone here is saying, but I still love new games. Some people I've met thought I was crazy. They think I'm not content. Well, I like to move onto a new game too. That doesn't mean that the game I just played is something I'll never go back to. Tonight I'm enjoying Adventure of Lolo on my 3DS. Awesome game and it's from 1989.

To be honest, sometimes I feel like some people are a bit jaded. There's proof the industry tries to squeeze every last dime out of you. That some people in the industry don't spend a dime on their game selection. Game developers hire people just to find new ways of making money from their existing game.

I will say that I've had time to think about some of the games I took PTO to play. Red Dead Redemption 2 was a wonderfully produced game. It was an awesome experience, but after a while I put the character on auto-ride just to wait out the long trip to the next mission.

I took two days off for Kingdom Hearts 3 and I enjoyed the beginning half and the last 4-5 hours. God of War was good.

I bought God of War physically and digitally. Physically because I thought my wife would like it, but she said the combat made her hands hurt. I bought the $99 package for the skins. I never received the metal pin either.

I have this feeling sometimes that I'm enjoying Japanese made games way more than Western developed games. I uninstalled Anthem and sold Mass Effect Andromeda after a couple days. I've felt this way since I learned about Nintendo as a kid. The west does some things very well, but the industry is following their logistics too often.

I'm kinda down that Capcom hasn't put "you know who" in as DLC. It feels like the game is incomplete at the moment.

At times the western appeal to modern games isn't coming from the source. I'm more excited for MK11 from playing them since the original than I am watching a dev video or seeing how the MTX breakdown. Ive given them my money and I plan on enjoying it. I hope my $107 went to something good. Maybe Mr. Boon can go on a nice long vacation or something.

Last edited:

Did that decades ago with movies. I remember when I was young feeling the urge to see every new movie because of a trailer, commercial or other hype. Of course, shortly thereafter would be the trailer for the next "must see". And as I got excited for the new one, I realized my interest in seeing the previous one had faded. That helped me become more objective and only see movies that truly pique my personal interest.

The same is true with games. Admittedly, I try a lot more new games than movies. I've got a massive backlog on many systems. I buy quite a few each year, try them out, but then gravitate back to favorites. These games tend to be a little simpler, easier, and comfortable like an old pair of shoes. I'd say about 80% of my game time is split between Skyrim (the reason I bought a Switch) and GTAV. The rest is peppered among a few new games I purchase each quarter, and taking a swipe at a few backlogged titles.

Lately I've started revisiting some of my old GBA favorites thanks to getting some better cheaters (reading glasses) so I can see the screen, lol. I appreciate the clean focus on the gameplay without loads of filler. So many games coming out try to do too many things just because they can, but don't do the basics as well. Ignoring Festival Plaza, I actually enjoyed Pokemon Sun & Moon more than a lot of the previous releases because they simplified and streamlined some of the gameplay in the story mode.

Nothing wrong with that at all. In fact, most of the newer games I play today tend to have some aspects of games I enjoyed in the past, or are just sequels to games I grew up on.

This is true as well. And props for having a Terrence Hill icon! Is that Trinity or Nobody?

KiteGr

I also still play those old games.
Especially old school anime games from the PS1 era.
tumblr_ns2g38zZdV1roqda3o1_500.gif
rotroot.gif

tumblr_nw6p5lg8FK1r7sijxo4_540.gif
evilzone.gif

legendoflegaia_hurricane_kick_by_d0nkrig.gif
giphy.gif

I don't know why, but there is a certain magic in those tittles:
  • Be it nostalgia.
  • Them being simpler.
  • Having more color.
  • Having more love and effort put into them to bypass the limitations of the hardwere.
  • Not being afraid to try new things.
  • Not being affected by the recent social justice warrior trend, (Instead being affected by puritan western localisers and Nintendo)
  • Make effort to be complete and functioning from the get-go without relying on patches.
  • Having a physical retail release with colorful manuals and actual collection value.
  • Not shoehorning online multiplayer modes.
  • Not being designed around DLCs and season passes.
  • The "Today's DLCs" being unlockable in-game for reaching milestones in the game!
As a European, I didn't have access to most of them until recently where I sold my soul to the Emulators to bypass the region coding and gain access to certain lost ones and fan-translated ones.
I have zero faith in Sony to bring those to the EU PSstore. They'll might censore them even more if they touch them.

Last edited:

ROMhack

Yeah, I get definitely get a lot of mileage out of older titles; they feel more gamey and enjoyable. I don't think it's a fad or nostalgia either as the games I enjoyed most on the PS3 were the remasters of PS2 classics (SotC/Ico, MGS and Silent Hill). I love watching old movies so it's something I'm used to.

I find modern games need to do something different to grab my attention. I particularly enjoyed The Talos Principle, Celeste, SOMA and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture from this gen.

Last edited:

Pejo

I think there's something refreshing about older games that either didn't have so much agenda constantly being thrown in your face. Also, when they had political views and points, it was made within the confines of the game itself as part of the game story. Not beating you over the head with real world current day problems

In short, games were focused on fun in the older days, and less on problems.

I love older games for this reason. I've been playing through the Ys series the whole way from Ys I and II, currently on Celceta and it's been like a few week long therapy session. I'm actually thinking on making a LTTP series about it, but that also seems like a lot of work.

iconmaster

Banned
The more graphics improve, the more the market seems to expect them to look and act like film it seems.

Now, I enjoy a game like Tomb Raider 2013 or Read Dead 2. But my favorites remain those games that embrace the sheer gaming joy of manipulating things onscreen. Generally that means Nintendo games, older games, or indie games taking inspiration from older games.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
I've been looking at chasing new releases more and more as a futile money pit over the last few years. I have enough quality retro games to last me for the rest of my life, and I'd much rather play those than continue throwing cash at whatever is new and hot now.

yup -I just bought a ds lite to access that and the gba library. ZERO mtx or shitty practices in those games!!!

im also back on the old pc game kick

KiteGr

I've been looking at chasing new releases more and more as a futile money pit over the last few years. I have enough quality retro games to last me for the rest of my life, and I'd much rather play those than continue throwing cash at whatever is new and hot now.
I have a physical library of about 35 PS1 games, over 200 PS2 games and almost 150 PS3 games.
My backlog is legendary.
Yeah, I get definitely get a lot of mileage out of older titles; they feel more gamey and enjoyable. I don't think it's a fad or nostalgia either as the games I enjoyed most on the PS3 were the remasters of PS2 classics (SotC/Ico, MGS and Silent Hill). I love watching old movies so it's something I'm used to.

I find modern games need to do something different to grab my attention. I particularly enjoyed The Talos Principle, Celeste, SOMA and Everybody's Gone to the Rapture from this gen.
Since Most of my recent retro collection came from games I've missed back in the day, I don't think Nostalgia is a big factor. How can I have nostalgia of something I've never played until now?!

Petrae

I have thousands of games in my retro library— more than I will ever realistically have time to properly enjoy in my remaining time on this rock. One of the benefits of beginning to collect games before prices skyrocketed was that it was fairly inexpensive to build a formidable library. I’ve been at it now for 7 years.

I am ready for the transition. Funny enough, it’s been the (re-) release of older games, like the Arcade Archives series, that’s made my PS4 and Switch worth owning. Playing Donkey Kong, Excitebike, Life Force, and Mat Mania just like I did back in the 80s has been pretty freaking awesome. Sure, I could’ve just emulated, but buying these just felt right.

I just prefer the older stuff. Some people are more patient when it comes to waiting for huge installs or patches, or more understanding of DLC and microtransactions. They prefer unfocused, open-world sandboxes to play in. They want to play online, with friends, in co-op or in competitive mode.

Modern console video gaming is for these people. Not me.

I play alone. I want to pop in a cartridge or disc and start playing within a minute or two. I prefer focused, linear games that keep me moving to my main objective. I like cheat codes and unlockable bonuses, as opposed to paying additional fees for all of these. I miss the days when game developers and publishers stayed focused on the game at hand when talking about it instead of revealing more paid content months before release that won’t be included in the purchase price.

By going full retro, I can return to the times I enjoyed the most, instead of being increasingly more frustrated by the direction that things are going in. I have to stop fighting the current and jump out of the water.

Top Bottom