• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Awakening |OT2| PAL reinforcements

Chrom

Anyone knows when the future past DLC is gonna come out in Europe?

No dates have been given for them yet, but I imagine they will be among the last to be released in Europe. If they don't scramble up the release pattern considerably from North America, I think Future Past could release as late as July.

Well, it's dependent on the avatar since he's either the best dad or she's the best mom, and you have to adjust from that.

And so why is it impossible to write two guides, one with female Avatar and one with male?

Avatar passes down all of his classes to their child so Morgan can be any class as long as is not a opposite sex class, or a special class that he/she did not inherit (like Manakete or Taguel). The starting class of the child is fixed (except for Morgan).

You don't have to reclass your avatar to pass down a class, you do need to get a skill and equip it to the last slot to pass it down.

You Monster. That's like the guy who wanted to murder Cordelia to get a new wife.
The kid stat caps and avalible classes are fixed the moment you complete a S rank. Even if you could kill them and get them again, you would get the same kid with the same Classes/Stat caps. The things you can manipulate before recruiting them are their starting Stats and their 3rd and 4th skills.

Oh wow fuck this. Should I even bother trying to get any of this shit down on my first ever playthrough in my first ever Fire Emblem game?

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Oh wow fuck this. Should I even bother trying to get any of this shit down on my first ever playthrough in my first ever Fire Emblem game?

No. That's why I keep suggesting people to just do their own thing for their first playthrough and get the hang of things. After that you can delve deeper into it and use some of the info on Serene's Forest to do things more effectively.

Some general tips still work (Using Donnel, and reclassing him Merc->Hero is his best bet for example, and is something you easily do during the general course of the game) but stuff like dealing with passing down skills, pairing characters optimally, etc is not required by any means on any difficulty, unless you're talking about doing the last DLC.

And this is the only English FE game where any of that stuff makes any difference, the other games don't have those systems at all.

And so why is it impossible to write two guides, one with female Avatar and one with male?

No, not at all. Just play, have fun, don't be in a rush to marry anyone off but Chrom so you have a lot of options. All the talk about family planning is really only important for higher difficulty levels or the hardest dlc.

McNum

Hmm. I finished Nowi's reclass loop and I'm not sure what to think of it yet. She's a level 1 Manakete with Quick Burn, Swordbreaker, Strength +2, Wyrmsbane, and Lifetaker now. I'm thinking of booting one of those for All Stats +2 and she'll probably get Limit Breaker when that's eventually released. Is that the best Nowi can be? Her classes are a bit limiting. The only other skill I could see her get from her set is Focus from Mage, but that's still a little weak. I suppose she could pick up Bond when the Bride class is out here. A bit of off-healing is nice.

Relevant to this, I've started Tiki's reclass loop from Manakete 30 to Dark Knight. But I'd like for Tiki and Nowi to not be completely identical. So... what can Tiki do to set herself apart since they share a class set? I'm thinking she could get Lancebreaker and Deliverer by taking a trip through Griffon Rider as well as Wyvern Lord. Making her skills something like Swordbreaker, Lancebreaker, Deliverer, Lifetaker, Limit Breaker. For a more nimble Manakete when paired up.

That would make Nowi the average Manakete, Tiki the fast Manakete, and Morgan(Tiki) the defensive Manakete with Aegis, Pavise, Sol, Swordbreaker and Limit Breaker.

Nah... has a lot of options, too. She can get Galeforce on her own, so that's fun. Sol, too. Dual Support+ could be interesting. She got Underdog from Donnel since Manakete 30 is still lower than anything 20/20, it's a dirty little trick, but it makes her hard to hit. She can also get Renewal. But stacking that with Sol and/or Lifetaker might be a little over the top in HP recovery. If such a thing is possible. Basically, I'm not sure what to do with her.

And yes, I want to have a wing of dragons and their husbands, once Morgan and Nah find someone, as the core of my army for the DLC. Mostly for style points. Chrom can come too. And Lucina. That makes for 12 core units, four of them Manaketes. Add Lissa for staff use and that DLC character that can get all the Rally skills and it's 15. Not a bad bunch in the end.

Speaking of Lucina... what's good for her? Mother is Sumia, so Galeforce is an option, maybe Pavise from Paladin, too.

Anteo

This child mechanic is new to most players, since the only time a similar mechanic was in place is in the japan exclusive FE4. So yeah, don't bother with it. Is not like you need the best posible kid to beat the game.

Also, why isn't posible to write a guide? as I explained in my other post (really close to that one you quoted) the max stats of the child depends on the max stats of the parents. While every 1st get character has fixes max stats, MU does not, as you pick your max stats when you choose your asset/flaw. So you need to write a guide for every possible combination of Asset/Flaw/MuSex.

This is the post I'm talking about

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hmm. I finished Nowi's reclass loop and I'm not sure what to think of it yet. She's a level 1 Manakete with Quick Burn, Swordbreaker, Strength +2, Wyrmsbane, and Lifetaker now. I'm thinking of booting one of those for All Stats +2 and she'll probably get Limit Breaker when that's eventually released. Is that the best Nowi can be? Her classes are a bit limiting. The only other skill I could see her get from her set is Focus from Mage, but that's still a little weak. I suppose she could pick up Bond when the Bride class is out here. A bit of off-healing is nice.

Relevant to this, I've started Tiki's reclass loop from Manakete 30 to Dark Knight. But I'd like for Tiki and Nowi to not be completely identical. So... what can Tiki do to set herself apart since they share a class set? I'm thinking she could get Lancebreaker and Deliverer by taking a trip through Griffon Rider as well as Wyvern Lord. Making her skills something like Swordbreaker, Lancebreaker, Deliverer, Lifetaker, Limit Breaker. For a more nimble Manakete when paired up.

That would make Nowi the average Manakete, Tiki the fast Manakete, and Morgan(Tiki) the defensive Manakete with Aegis, Pavise, Sol, Swordbreaker and Limit Breaker.

Nah... has a lot of options, too. She can get Galeforce on her own, so that's fun. Sol, too. Dual Support+ could be interesting. She got Underdog from Donnel since Manakete 30 is still lower than anything 20/20, it's a dirty little trick, but it makes her hard to hit. She can also get Renewal. But stacking that with Sol and/or Lifetaker might be a little over the top in HP recovery. If such a thing is possible. Basically, I'm not sure what to do with her.

And yes, I want to have a wing of dragons and their husbands, once Morgan and Nah find someone, as the core of my army for the DLC. Mostly for style points. Chrom can come too. And Lucina. That makes for 12 core units, four of them Manaketes. Add Lissa for staff use and that DLC character that can get all the Rally skills and it's 15. Not a bad bunch in the end.

Speaking of Lucina... what's good for her? Mother is Sumia, so Galeforce is an option, maybe Pavise from Paladin, too.

My Nowi and Tiki have Lance+Swordbreaker, Lifetaker, Limit Breaker, and either All Stats +2 or Wyrmsbane if there are enemy wyverns to use it on. Works okay.

And with Sol you don't really need any other renewal skill. With Donnel as Nah's father I'd go with Limit Breaker, Galeforce, Sol, Underdog, and maybe Patience if you want to make her harder to hit. She gets Armsthrift, but Dragonstone+ are easily accumulated from a shop and not forgeable so it's not really worth it on her unless you're grinding.

Lucina can go a number of directions. You could make her a support character with dual strike, dual guard, Limit Breaker, and something else. Or make her more offensive with skills like Aether and Galeforce. (Edit: Removed Dual Support+, need Maribelle for that).

McNum

My Nowi and Tiki have Lance+Swordbreaker, Lifetaker, Limit Breaker, and either All Stats +2 or Wyrmsbane if there are enemy wyverns to use it on. Works okay.

And with Sol you don't really need any other renewal skill. With Donnel as Nah's father I'd go with Limit Breaker, Galeforce, Sol, Underdog, and maybe Patience if you want to make her harder to hit. She gets Armsthrift, but Dragonstone+ are easily accumulated from a shop and not forgeable so it's not really worth it on her unless you're grinding.

Lucina can go a number of directions. You could make her a support character with dual strike, dual guard, and dual support+, Limit Breaker, and something else. Or make her more offensive with skills like Aether and Galeforce.
Morgan is set to be the supertank here. If it can threaten her, everyone else is doomed. At least that's the idea behind an Aegis/Pavise/Sol Manakete. It's a do it yourself Dragonskin. On a dragon, no less. Was considering getting Astra for her, but the HP regen from Sol is better for a tank Manakete. Plus, she got that from her dad already, no need to go through Hero for it.

The all support Lucina looks fun, and surprisingly in-character, too. The final skill would either be Aether or Galeforce, I'd think. Depending if I want to get Lucina through 15 levels of Dark Flier for it. Is Dual Support+ really that good? It makes the green numbers that pop up at the start of a fight better, right?

Also, got Inigo ready to be recruited. Olivia is now a Swordmaster with Galeforce (and going for Astra+Swordfaire, then Dancer again) and from Virion I'm thinking... Hit+20. That's wasted on a Sniper, but it might be a fun skill to have for other classes. It's not like the Archer/Sniper set has anything much better to offer. Well, Prescience, maybe, but that's a ten level dip into Archer if i really want it.

Draxal

Morgan is set to be the supertank here. If it can threaten her, everyone else is doomed. At least that's the idea behind an Aegis/Pavise/Sol Manakete. It's a do it yourself Dragonskin. On a dragon, no less. Was considering getting Astra for her, but the HP regen from Sol is better for a tank Manakete. Plus, she got that from her dad already, no need to go through Hero for it.

The all support Lucina looks fun, and surprisingly in-character, too. The final skill would either be Aether or Galeforce, I'd think. Depending if I want to get Lucina through 15 levels of Dark Flier for it. Is Dual Support+ really that good? It makes the green numbers that pop up at the start of a fight better, right?

Also, got Inigo ready to be recruited. Olivia is now a Swordmaster with Galeforce (and going for Astra+Swordfaire, then Dancer again) and from Virion I'm thinking... Hit+20. That's wasted on a Sniper, but it might be a fun skill to have for other classes. It's not like the Archer/Sniper set has anything much better to offer. Well, Prescience, maybe, but that's a ten level dip into Archer if i really want it.

A support Lucina with Sumia as mom would want Dual Guard/Dual Strike/Limit Breaker/All Stats +2/ and I'd put in Galeforce here even though it's not truly a support skill, she still can pick off a guy a with that ability providing some movement to the lead partner. My lucina uses RK/Aether/limitbreaker/DS+/Galeforce and still fits fine in a support role and still hits really hard in the lead. Chrom is still a very viable endgame character as he can get all of the amentioned skills except for galeforce but can get agressor which is even better in a support role.

Dual support + adds 20 hit/15 crit/crit avoid/avoid to the lead partner in a fight; Inigo doesn't need any skills from his dad (unless you go Libra/Henry for the dad). All the skills he needs are from the three trees his mom gives + the dlc skills (limitbreaker/agressor).

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

Yeah, it improves the support bonus by 4 ranks. It's basically the equivalent of having an extra A-rank support alongside that unit. So if you pair up a S-ranked character and have dual support+ that would give you a support level of 9 (+20 hit, +15 avoid, crit, crit avoid).

I forgot that Sumia gives Cleric and not Troubadour though, so you can't get Dual Support+ on Lucina unless FeMU or Maribelle is the mom.

Coldsnap

Just got this game on the Amazon deal. Is there a good review or faq that sorta breaks down the game and gives advice for new players, characters they should use paths they should take etc? I was to fully enjoy the game but don't want to stuck reading faqs the whole way through or pick a character that ends up being terrible.

There's so many permuations. People can give a quick list if you state the gender of your mu and asset/flaw and who you married Chrom to.

Woah woah wait... Chrom doesn't always marry Sumia? I guess that's why they are such an awful couple.

Anyway my Avatar is Male. Assert is magic, flaw is resistance. Chrom quite obviously married to Sumia.

Oh and I married Cordellia and Kellam. Their child is such a brat I want to send her to die on purpose.

Woah woah wait... Chrom doesn't always marry Sumia? I guess that's why they are such an awful couple.

Anyway my Avatar is Male. Assert is magic, flaw is resistance. Chrom quite obviously married to Sumia.

He automarries whoever he has the highest support with, or whover he gets an S rank before that.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I've been dabbling in Awakening a bit here and there when I have the chance and I was wondering a few things...

1. Am I missing something or are weapons unrepairable?
2. Should I be putting money into powering weapons up, or should I keep being cheap and holding hope that I'll find better weapons in stores?

Draxal

Oh and I married Cordellia and Kellam. Their child is such a brat I want to send her to die on purpose.

In order to pass of skills you need to skill be the last equipped skill on the parent.

Avatar/Tharja (Both kids are female so you can pass off a male only skill here, I'd recommend counter (warrior skill)/ as axefaire wouldn't be great, and passing off rally str is only worth it for rally bots and they're not worth it).
Sully/Gaius (Pass off Sol - Hero skill from Gaius).
Lissa/Henry (Pass off Galeforce - Dark Flier skill from Lissa)
Libra/Maribelle (Pass off Galeforce - Dark Flier skill from Maribelle)
Donnel/Nowi (Pass of either underdog (kinda pain to do) or aptitude from donnel - villager).

This next group is not as important as the first group, you can experiment here.

Stahl/Cherche (Pass off Dual Support + Valk skill from Cheche). Vaike would also be a good choice here; as would Gregor.
Virion/Olivia (pass off Galeforce - Dark Flier skill from Olivia). Stahl would also be a good choice here.
Lon'qu/Laurent (pass off Dual Support + valk skill from Miriel). Ricken would also be a good choice here.
Gregor/Panne (pass off deliver griffon knight skill from Panne). Stahl would also be a good choice here, as would Lon'Qu.

Javier

Nowi is the worst character ever. Also what does MU stand for?
My Unit. It was the original Japanese equivalent for the Avatar back in the previous game (that wasn't localized) and this game. Since it was used for years before the localized name was revealed it stuck with a lot of people.

Chrom

I've been dabbling in Awakening a bit here and there when I have the chance and I was wondering a few things...

1. Am I missing something or are weapons unrepairable?
2. Should I be putting money into powering weapons up, or should I keep being cheap and holding hope that I'll find better weapons in stores?

No weapon in the game is unrepairable except for Falchion, but the only method of repairing weapons is through the rare Hammerne staff, which you won't be seeing that much.

There's nothing wrong with forging, but I think your money could be better spent just buying new weapons when you need them as you play through the story.

In order to pass of skills you need to skill be the last equipped skill on the parent.

Avatar/Tharja (Both kids are female so you can pass off a male only skill here, I'd recommend counter (warrior skill)/ as axefaire wouldn't be great, and passing off rally str is only worth it for rally bots and they're not worth it).
Sully/Gaius (Pass off Sol - Hero skill from Gaius).
Lissa/Henry (Pass off Galeforce - Dark Flier skill from Lissa)
Libra/Maribelle (Pass off Galeforce - Dark Flier skill from Maribelle)
Donnel/Nowi (Pass of either underdog (kinda pain to do) or aptitude from donnel - villager).

This next group is not as important as the first group, you can experiment here.

Stahl/Cherche (Pass off Dual Support + Valk skill from Cheche). Vaike would be also a good choice here.
Virion/Olivia (pass off Galeforce - Dark Flier skill from Olivia).
Lon'qu/Laurent (pass off Dual Support + valk skill from Miriel). Ricken would be also a good choice here.
Gregor/Panne (pass off deliver griffon knight skill from Panne).

I guess I'll do this for a second playthrough, if ever. Thanks.

Draxal

I guess I'll do this for a second playthrough, if ever. Thanks.

Well, that list was for what you told me. My playthroughs are different in some regards, and yeah ... you definitely don't need to optimize at all for a playthough like Chaosblade stated unless you need to do so for the harder dlc content.

Well, that list was for what you told me. My playthroughs are different in some regards, and yeah ... you definitely don't need to optimize at all for a playthough like Chaosblade stated unless you need to do so for the harder dlc content.

Oh I'm not planning on purchasing or playing any DLC at all.

But still it feels like I've done something terribly wrong since only 3-5 of my characters are able to do anything without brutally dying for these past 5 chapters. And I'm on chapter 25 I think.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
No weapon in the game is unrepairable except for Falchion, but the only method of repairing weapons is through the rare Hammerne staff, which you won't be seeing that much.

There's nothing wrong with forging, but I think your money could be better spent just buying new weapons when you need them as you play through the story.

Ah thank you!

Pair the weak ones with the stronger ones.

This rarely seems to help me. The enemies seem to swarm the weaker unit who gets overwhelmed even with the backing of a stronger unit.

Also how do relationships work? Is there a set amount of time units must be paired in battle in order to increase their relationship level? A set number of attacks?

Chrom

This rarely seems to help me. The enemies seem to swarm the weaker unit who gets overwhelmed even with the backing of a stronger unit.

Also how do relationships work? Is there a set amount of time units must be paired in battle in order to increase their relationship level? A set number of attacks?

They shouldn't be swarmed.

Compatible units gain one support point with each other per battle encounter they are both involved in (including healing and dancing) during the Player Phase. Once enough support points are accumulated, the option to initiate a support conversation between the two units will be made available via the world map or battle preparations screen.

Edit: Enemy Phase too, just remembered.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes

Pair the weaker one with the stronger one (not pairing the strong one with the weaker one). Only the stronger one will get attacked. Only switch to the weaker unit when it's safe to do so. Always keep in mind how many enemy units can target your square (always check attack ranges).

Relationships will improve when paired up, or doubling up. You'll see hearts appear. The relationship builds up after you attack/heal on your move (not on the enemy's turn I believe).

Draxal

It's definitely on the enemy's turn too, otherwise grinding for supports would be SO much more annoying.

Ayup, I think everybody has their grinding map for supports (I use COY2/a dlc map). Grinding that map only works because of all the enemies suiciding in one turn.

Nose Master

Ugh. Chapter 19 spoilers:
I wanna finish this before I cosplay one of the characters, so I'm finally beating it. I finally got back into the swing of things after losing Ricken about 3x in a row, and I got to the end relatively easily. I use Vaike to kill Walhart because I wanted to give him that fat XP. And then I hear the "LOL RECRUITABLE" music sting after I kill him. Why the living hell would he be recruitable D:

Top Bottom