• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

Should I focus on upgrading weapons or just evolve them when I get enough gold?

Depends on the weapon.

Bog-standard weapons like Steel and Silver should be evolved (or dumped) since they get outclassed by the post-game weapons.

Weapons with effective damage like Blessed Lance and Ridersbane can be maxed out to take advantage of the extra damage.

PK Gaming

Est still has good growths. Heck, they were better than Alm and Celica's back in Gaiden. Now they're comparable.

Gaiden

Echoes

Shame she joins so late though!

The issue is that relative to most of the cast, her growths aren't high enough to make up for her stat deficiencies and garbage join time (they never were, but it's even worse now). Even more galling is how Palla has an overkill Strength growth, in addition to good HP and defense growths now, so Est's growths are straight up worse than Palla's now!

Hylian7

I'm on Act 4... Is there a revival spring on Alm's side somewhere? I seem to have lost Python and likely happened when I played in bed before going to sleep and was half asleep, didn't notice/remember him dying and forgot to reset or use the turnwheel. I know the one for Celica exists, and I tried going back there, but you can only do it for people on Celica's side.

L95

I'm on Act 4... Is there a revival spring on Alm's side somewhere? I seem to have lost Python and likely happened when I played in bed before going to sleep and was half asleep, didn't notice/remember him dying and forgot to reset or use the turnwheel. I know the one for Celica exists, and I tried going back there, but you can only do it for people on Celica's side.

There's one at the
secret
shrine.

To get there
go right/east at the waterfall in Rigel

Shifty1897

I think you can use the one on Celica's side to revive people on Alm's side in Act 6.

Vamphuntr

The more I play it the more I'm torn. I'm enjoying the art, music, characters and overall mechanics a lot but this game isn't good at all balance wise. When enemies attack you on the map (where they play first) it's more or less a case of turn off the 3DS since they can kill your characters without you being able to do nothing. Some maps also appear to be impossible without grinding or insane RNG luck.

The more I play it the more I'm torn. I'm enjoying the art, music, characters and overall mechanics a lot but this game isn't good at all balance wise. When enemies attack you on the map (where they play first) it's more or less a case of turn off the 3DS since they can kill your characters without you being able to do nothing. Some maps also appear to be impossible without grinding or insane RNG luck.
I'm only on act 3 so I dont know how the balance becomes later, however you should never ever get hit by enemies on the map first.

Ponn

Banned
I'm making my final run in chapter 5
beat Berkut and emo Alm continues to scream
, I'm ready to put this to bed for now and move onto Disgaea 5 which has been sitting here staring at me. I'm glad I didn't buy any dlc. I've enjoyed this game but it's definitely not my favorite FE and the characters have been a low point for me compared to other FE.

UCBooties

Goddamn Grieth's Citadel is a slog. It sucks that you can't use a shrine before you get here because I have at least 5 characters eligible for a class promotion but if you try to go into the dungeon then Atlas and the two Pegasus sisters leave.There doesn't seem to be much option besides eating attacks from the archers and mages as you go up the hallway until you can whittle them down with your own ranged attackers, all while dealing with a non-stop horde of flaming terrors who my mercenaries are totally ineffective against.

The sniper in the middle took waaaaay to long to kill my first attempt at the map. Of course Celica died to an unlucky crit so I had to start over...

Goddamn Grieth's Citadel is a slog. It sucks that you can't use a shrine before you get here because I have at least 5 characters eligible for a class promotion but if you try to go into the dungeon then Atlas and the two Pegasus sisters leave.There doesn't seem to be much option besides eating attacks from the archers and mages as you go up the hallway until you can whittle them down with your own ranged attackers, all while dealing with a non-stop horde of flaming terrors who my mercenaries are totally ineffective against.

The sniper in the middle took waaaaay to long to kill my first attempt at the map. Of course Celica died to an unlucky crit so I had to start over...

You can't go to the shrine directly above you, but you can go all the way south to a previous shrine, lol.

BBboy20

You can miss side-quests? Because this dude back at Novis like talks about killing 20 terrors at the local graveyard but they never spawn there.

You can miss side-quests? Because this dude back at Novis like talks about killing 20 terrors at the local graveyard but they never spawn there.

Yes, you can miss side-quests, but not those ones. The Alessio side-quests have a timer and I *think* the Red Tricorn quest is timed or I did it and forgot...

All graveyard monsters respawn after beating the game

So am I getting my days wrong or is there no DLC at all this week ? Not even a Mila's Bounty ?

Yar, I thought that was weird. Talk about "weekly" free DLC, haha.

I guess they wanted to space it out since 22nd June is the last paid DLC.

Shinypogs

There is a resurrection spring in the secret shrine on Alm's side. When you get to rigel falls in act 4
go right even though it seems like nothing is there on the map and you will find the secret shrine.

Hope this reaches you in time.

BBboy20

Yes, you can miss side-quests, but not those ones. The Alessio side-quests have a timer and I *think* the Red Tricorn quest is timed or I did it and forgot...
Timed, as in how many days pass or when you reach a certain point of the game? Because these item travelers seem to only appear once since right now, Alessio wants some steel spears.

ggx2ac

At Act 5 at the moment.

When I recruited
Zeke
he looked familiar.

Now I'm like,
"Oh, so that's what happened to Camus after Shadow Dragon."

And then he
returns in Mystery of the Emblem as Sirius.

L95

All graveyard monsters respawn after beating the game

I did the red tricorn quest well into
the postgame.

Timed, as in how many days pass or when you reach a certain point of the game? Because these item travelers seem to only appear once since right now, Alessio wants some steel spears.

Certain point. The first Alessio quest expires when Act 4 begins and the third one expires when you enter the Last Bastion.

Third one looks pretty insane without DLC.

I did the red tricorn quest well into
the postgame.

Aha, I must've done it and forgotten then. To be fair, I got a whole bunch of Red Tricorns from DLC, so they're hardly a marker anymore.

Just popping in to say that this game is awesome. I'm about eight hours into it and I've been enjoying every moment. The story is keeping me engaged, the music is good, and the battles are as fun as I expect from the series. The inclusion of voice for every character was an excellent choice, too.

At this point, I'm liking it more than Fates due solely to the fact that the story is better. I hope it keeps up!

Lynx_7

Every time I see a cantor near a cluster of archers and mages in a really large map a tiny part of me dies. Bonus points if it's a swamp.

Anyway, I just got Zeke! I don't even care if Mathilda already outclasses him, he's my main knight from now on. I'll make it work, whatever it takes :p

Also, I regret making my Faye a Pegasus Knight. Clair turned out better than she did on top of being a better waifucharacter in general so Faye's just kinda there avoiding archers and most other types of combat and just not doing anything worthwhile. Where can I get a Villager's Fork?

Every time I see a cantor near a cluster of archers and mages in a really large map a tiny part of me dies. Bonus points if it's a swamp.

Anyway, I just got Zeke! I don't even care if Mathilda already outclasses him, he's my main knight from now on. I'll make it work, whatever it takes :p

Also, I regret making my Faye a Pegasus Knight. Clair turned out better than she did on top of being a better waifucharacter in general so Faye's just kinda there avoiding archers and most other types of combat and just not doing anything worthwhile. Where can I get a Villager's Fork?

The Villager's Fork/Pitchfork is available as free DLC. Look for Mila's Bounty 1 (available now), 4 and 5.

I was the same. Felt so good to change Faye from Pegasus Knight to Cleric.

Also, since you can get 3 Pitchforks, you can totally give one to Zeke. I did and he's now a capped out monster.

NeonZ

I hadn't thought about it before, but it's really nice how they finally figured out a way to give each character their own signature color scheme that's carried over to any class. I hope that's not lost right in the next game when they'll likely jump to a new engine.

Is it a good idea to send dread fighters back to villager at level 10? It pops up for Gray that he can promote.

Sure. He'll keep his stats but since he goes back to the lowest leveled class, he'll gain EXP at a much higher rate, so his stats will keep getting better. The only downsides are that he'll go back to 4 movement and will lose the Dread Fighter skills (i.e. no more magic immunity), but he can promote to Myrimdon and then Dread Fighter again later. You can do this infinitely, but only with characters from the Mercenary/Myrmidon/Dread Fighter line.

PK Gaming

I strongly recommend against looping back to Villager in the main game. It's unnecessary, and you won't be able to get back to Dread Fighter without serious grinding.

sfried

I strongly recommend against looping back to Villager in the main game. It's unnecessary, and you won't be able to get back to Dread Fighter without serious grinding.

I disliked Clair as a pegasus knight, so I turned her into a regular Cavalry like her brother instead. Worked out for the better.

PK Gaming

I disliked Clair as a pegasus knight, so I turned her into a regular Cavalry like her brother instead. Worked out for the better.

Reclassing's fine (though I think Clair's far better off as a Pegasus Knight). It's the villager loop I have issue with since it's basically a beginner's trap.

So good for post game, but not main game. Got it. Thanks!

It hasn't been necessary for me, but if you want to make Gray as strong as possible i'd go for it.

Golnei

Just got this... Should I play on normal or hard?
not sure if normal is easy and hard is well normal since the description is kind of odd.

They're roughly similar to normal and hard in Awakening and Birthright - while 'hard' is the highest difficulty available here (with no additional Lunatic or Lunatic+ modes), it's not any more difficult than previous games. The presence of Mila's Turnwheel on all difficulties also makes things more manageable by allowing you to rewind to any point in the battle, mitigating the potential for the RNG to put you at a disadvantage - letting you try again in case of missing hits, bad level ups, warping enemies etc.; you can also grind freely at most points in the game, though it's not necessary.

They're roughly similar to normal and hard in Awakening and Birthright - while 'hard' is the highest difficulty available here (with no additional Lunatic or Lunatic+ modes), it's not any more difficult than previous games. The presence of Mila's Turnwheel on all difficulties also makes things more manageable by allowing you to rewind to any point in the battle, mitigating the potential for the RNG to put you at a disadvantage - letting you try again in case of missing hits, bad level ups, warping enemies etc.; you can also grind freely at most points in the game, though it's not necessary.

My understanding is that the Turnwheel doesn't help with level ups, those are decided at map entry..

Lorcain

I've really enjoyed the game (almost done). I appreciated the more streamlined or simplified approach to many of the FE systems. I also liked the story and characters more than Fates and Awakening. I only have a few complaints:
- Splitting the story line into 2 armies is a good idea, but sometimes the execution can be disjointed (
like my Alm capped at level 20 fighter until I finally got to the right point in the game with Celica's army
). It can be frustrating when I'm focused on advancing 1 army's progress only to have a random mob on the other side trigger a battle with the other army. Not a huge deal, but kind of annoying at times.

- I'm not a fan of magic drawing from health rather than a mana resource. It's an interesting idea that does have a basis in literature and movies, but in practice I didn't like it.

- Summoning is nuts in this game. At least we get experience for killing summoned creatures. Still, I'd rather they toned down the sheer number of summons, and let us fight smaller numbers of more powerful summons. The game tilts in the favor of the AI during the big summoning maps by placing AI summoners on HP regen points so they can spam summons throughout the entire battle. Our summoners lose half of their health (or more) when they summon, so we have to manage that more carefully.

Those are really my biggest annoyances. I've been really impressed with overall package. I would like to see the combat triangle brought back to future titles. I hope they can keep the production values from this game in future titles. The voice acting has been a welcome addition.

Lynx_7

The Villager's Fork/Pitchfork is available as free DLC. Look for Mila's Bounty 1 (available now), 4 and 5.

I was the same. Felt so good to change Faye from Pegasus Knight to Cleric.

Also, since you can get 3 Pitchforks, you can totally give one to Zeke. I did and he's now a capped out monster.

Thanks! I'll change her to a Cleric too, better late than never I suppose.

That sounds a lotta fun for Zeke but I wouldn't want to break the game too much :p I just gave him all my stat boosting items and now he's got higher str and speed than Mathilda though he still loses slightly on HP (and some other less relevant things like skill and luck).

Is it just me, or do Cavaliers usually kinda suck in these games? All of mine in Alm's path (about to unlock Zeke) are maddeningly fragile.

Erheller

Is it just me, or do Cavaliers usually kinda suck in these games? All of mine in Alm's path (about to unlock Zeke) are maddeningly fragile.

Mathilda is a monster.

Also, cavaliers/paladins have usually been some of the best units in FE games, since they have basically the same stats as foot units, but can go fast. Also doesn't hurt that the Jeigan in most games are paladins.

Last swamp battle on Celica chapter 4 what a tease.
Taken out the armoured units, surrounded Jedah so I can start safely sniping him to waste sealed actions and not get countered...still bothered by eyeballs dividing *enemy phase 6* "You suck. Come to Duma Tower" *warps out of map, no -10 spd dragon shield for me*.

Top Bottom