• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates is absolutely great

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
latest
Best character ever in anything

It's the second best FE game, with PoR being the first. The only legit complaint I ever see is about the pacing. It's still a fantastic game though.

I love Awakenings but it was a huge dropoff for the series in so many ways.

I just had a long ass post shitting on Awakening but its better then RD, RD is the worst game in the series imo.

To many characters, 90% of them are absolute garbage, Awful level design, a god awful story with a nonsensical plot, its also a sequel to PoR which screwed that game out of having interesting and decided endings for its characters which they could have fixed in this game but instead the endings we got were the worst in the entire series.

Draxal

I just had a long ass post shitting on Awakening but its better then RD, RD is the worst game in the series imo.

To many characters, 90% of them are absolute garbage, Awful level design, a god awful story with a nonsensical plot, its also a sequel to PoR which screwed that game out of having interesting and decided endings for its characters which they could have fixed in this game but instead the endings we got were the worst in the entire series.

Oh man, you just made a lot of enemies here with bolded.

First time I ever heard someone say Awakening is better the RD. Or it being the worst.

I'm Just gonna say I don't agree

Hey look, Awakening isn't that bad.

CazTGG

Too many characters, 90% of them are absolute garbage, Awful level design, a god awful story with a nonsensical plot, its also a sequel to PoR which screwed that game out of having interesting and decided endings for its characters which they could have fixed in this game but instead the endings we got were the worst in the entire series.

Draxal

I think I like Awakening more than I thought I liked Awakening.

Awakening thing does a lot of things right, but its overshadowed by a lot of other stuff.

Really fast gameplay engine, great ui, decent internet play (which becomes much better with Fates ... yet much worse due to warp). Its really marred by a poor midgame though.

Radiant Dawn has a few terrible characters, mostly Dawn Brigade people plus like Astrid, but they only really stick out because the game is harder than most FE's. PoR has a lot of awful characters if you're comparing the gap between the strongest and the weakest is absolutely huge, but it seems comparatively balanced because Rolf's awfulness is much less pronounced compared to Fiona or Meg, but PoR also has mid-tier characters that can roflstomp the game.

FE6 balancing is the most hilarious because Roy is the absolute worst lord in the series and is still more useful than like half the cast.

Draxal

Radiant Dawn has a few terrible characters, mostly Dawn Brigade people plus like Astrid, but they only really stick out because the game is harder than most FE's. PoR has a lot of awful characters if you're comparing the gap between the strongest and the weakest is absolutely huge, but it seems comparatively balanced because Rolf's awfulness is much less pronounced compared to Fiona or Meg, but PoR also has mid-tier characters that can roflstomp the game.

FE6 balancing is the most hilarious because Roy is the absolute worst lord in the series and is still more useful than like half the cast.

Wendy for life!

Radiant Dawns long list of characters made sense from a story point, besides most fire emblem games have a ton of useless characters.

Doesn't matter to me, I just pick my favorites.

Also Shadow Dragon makes you sacrifice useless characters for more of them, what a weird game.

Though I would like to add that the community warmly calls RD, "Radiant Haar" for good reason. It's basically his game to rule with how axes are are OP and Dragonlords have no real weaknesses that are reasonable to exploit. But it's still fun to use him. Still not as fun as Takumi though, seriously if you have any love for archers, use this guy.

Also it took them 14 games to finally make an anti-flier flier (complete with swaggy as hell animations too).

Draxal

Though I would like to add that the community warmly calls RD, "Radiant Haar" for good reason. It's basically his game to rule with how axes are are OP and Dragonlords have no real weaknesses that are reasonable to exploit. But it's still fun to use him. Still not as fun as Takumi though, seriously if you have any love for archers, use this guy.

Also it took them 14 games to finally make an anti-flier flier (complete with swaggy as hell animations too).

Takumi's pretty broken with that op weapon.

And technically, Celica's Galed Dark Fliers yo.

we're talking about FE10 here not FE3

and what were so wrong with the endings, they are basically your standard endings you get in like every other game

Radiant Dawns long list of characters made sense from a story point, besides most fire emblem games have a ton of useless characters.

Doesn't matter to me, I just pick my favorites.

Also Shadow Dragon makes you sacrifice useless characters for more of them, what a weird game.

Shadow Dragon is very weird, the problem with Radiant Dawn is that there are just sooooo many characters and ultimately the force you take into the final chapters is pathedically small for an army of the size you have.

It should have been like Shining Force 3 where you have to set up multiple armies and get to use several different teams making use of its huge amount of characters.

CSX

Not gonna lie...would love an epic FE in terms of scale. A billion units like in Radiant Dawn and then getting to deploy a big chunk of them in the final chapters would be so good with big maps and lots of enemy units

As has been said, it's not that it's anime (even though people say this when they really mean fanservicey) it's that they don't like how it's like modern anime.

I don't think having ridiculous attack animations was ever a problem.

Yeah, I like ridiculous critical animations. I'm always appreciative of good sprite work.

Takumi's pretty broken with that op weapon.

And technically, Celica's Galed Dark Fliers yo.

I don't count unintentional broken design.

Oh, and Genealogy is a thing for people who want huge maps with big armies.

And I like crazy ass crit animations. I want 2D sprite work back. Though I am satisfied with some of the crits Fates has. (But still...)

Papstr

Neo Member
Not gonna lie...would love an epic FE in terms of scale. A billion units like in Radiant Dawn and then getting to deploy a big chunk of them in the final chapters would be so good with big maps and lots of enemy units

I'd say FE4 is basically like this. Giant maps, tons of enemies, and no deployment limits.

Opinions and all that but awful level design, really? And compared to Awakenings? In fact literally in every area you criticize except throwaway characters (and really, who cares), RD is leaps and bounds over Awakenings.

When u level takumi enough to start double attacking with that OP weapon, he becomes the archer Wil never became :p

It's even better when you get the Zanshin and gives him Swallow Strike basically. Behold the god of destruction. Got some dumb lategame generals smashing your units? Takmui gives no fucks and annihilates them all.

Opinions and all that but awful level design, really? And compared to Awakenings? In fact literally in every area you criticize except throwaway characters (and really, who cares), RD is leaps and bounds over Awakenings.

Bridge.with.pitfalls.you.cannot.see.

Path.doging.boulders.with.random.patterns.

Swamp.you.have.to.save.people.but.only.have.one.flyer.

Awakening also has bad level design, RD's level design at least tries to do different things I give it that, doesn't mean the different things it tries to do are actually good.

Lunar15

Here's the thing, Awakening gets a lot of shit from FE veterans like myself, but it introduces so many quality of life enhancements that it's real hard to go backwards. Call me weird, but I actually enjoyed Awakening more than FE7, lol.

That's why I'm excited about the gameplay enhancements in fates. Awakening's snappy speeed mixed with more classic elements should be wonderful.

L95

Awakening also has bad level design, RD's level design at least tries to do different things I give it that, doesn't mean the different things it tries to do are actually good.

Wait, I don't remember the boulders.

Takumi's not even that good lmao (neither is Effie), you people need to chill with your archer/armor hype
They've had a rough life, let them have their decent representation, it'll be like five games before they have it again.

Aren't the boulders a PoR map? I remember being really irritated because it was rout and it took forever.

This is Three out of 40 chapters. Also I don't thing Dawn had Boulders against you. Only in your favor.

Takumi's not even that good lmao (neither is Effie), you people need to chill with your archer/armor hype

Let me have my fun, though Takumi saved my ass a couple times in Revelations, I will admit, so I'm a bit biased. And Nohr! Effie is the best Armorknight in the series. She's kinda insane with attack stance. Shame she's kinda terrible in Revelations. Guess there's another decent reason it reminds me of FE12 too.

CazTGG

I remember that swamp level in particular being a pain since your opponents had several flying units whereas you only had one. The only viable method I found to save them all was to have the laguz be meat shields (on the south side since the first dracoknight appears to the southwest, the east was covered thanks to the wolf laguz and heron being able to rescue them rather quickly and take all the hits so as not to sponge up the precious Part 1 exp.) while Ilyana took them out once she got within range, assuming she actually hit them, and I could get my healer or Miciah('s worthless rear) over there to keep them from dying until the poison they no doubt got hit with wore off.

Draxal

Let me have my fun, though Takumi saved my ass a couple times in Revelations, I will admit, so I'm a bit biased. And Nohr! Effie is the best Armorknight in the series. She's kinda insane with attack stance. Shame she's kinda terrible in Revelations. Guess there's another decent reason it reminds me of FE12 too.

Ah revelations, where Odin does ummmmm .... let's hope they rebalance that part in the western release.

Ah revelations, where Odin does ummmmm .... let's hope they rebalance that part in the western release.

lol Odin. I kinda laughed out loud when he appeared. "The hell are you gonna do sonny!"

I mean I could make Pieri work fine out of the 4 thanks to her personal skill and Azura killing multiple units and getting buffs. Revelations' balance isn't as bad as people make it out to be (only about 20% is pretty much unusable), but after being able to use pretty much everyone in the other two routes pretty effectively, it was a disappointment.

How does Effie compare to Oswin? He's the only armor I can think of in the series that doesn't suck, even though he still suffers from other issues.

Takumi has slightly tougher competition but it's like, him versus the FE6 snipers and FE12 people (that I know nothing about) so it can't be that hard for him. Actually, Jamke and Brigged are decent too if you aren't committed to pure Horse Emblem.

CSX

How does Effie compare to Oswin? He's the only armor I can think of in the series that doesn't suck, even though he still suffers from other issues.

Takumi has slightly tougher competition but it's like, him versus the FE6 snipers and FE12 people (that I know nothing about) so it can't be that hard for him. Actually, Jamke and Brigged are decent too if you aren't committed to pure Horse Emblem.

Im not done with Nohr playthrough but Effie has really high attack and defense and is actually fast to not get doubled. She blows away the other armor knight in nohr. Oswin gets a pass cuz hes the only armor knight in his game thats not a prepromote

skipping promotion for wallace doesnt count

Im not done with Nohr playthrough but Effie has really high attack and defense and is actually fast to not get doubled. She blows away the other armor knight in nohr. Oswin gets a pass cuz hes the only armor knight in his game thats not a prepromote
Oswin's pass as "not garbage" comes from his really good bases when the player doesn't have a lot of good units other than Marcus and Hector, Gilliam is a great example of an armor with no competition that still is garbage. FE6 has four terrible armors.

Also poor Wallace lol. I'm still fond of him because of how hype he seemed when I played the game for the first time when I was like nine.

CSX

Oswin's pass as "not garbage" comes from his really good bases when the player doesn't have a lot of good units other than Marcus and Hector, Gilliam is a great example of an armor with no competition that still is garbage. FE6 has four terrible armors.

Also poor Wallace lol. I'm still fond of him because of how hype he seemed when I played the game for the first time when I was like nine.

I remember coming off of FE7 with Oswin and then played FE6 to see this.

It was goddam shocking lolol

Effie hits insanely hard (Which makes her probably the best Javelin/Spear user in the game), can go great knight for luna and diamond strike (-10 physical damage when attacking) or go General for Defensive Formation (Basically locks Doubling out of the system), pretty good at taking hits (though her HP is a concern), has confined defense for choking points. But her damage for the time she comes at is jaw droppingly absurd which also amusingly fits with her character.

Effie is probably better...but her optimal promotion path is also Great Knight, and at that point I'm not sure it counts any more :p (also there's basically no point to going General, getting Defensive Formation literally locks her out of doubling slower enemies)

Takumi's problem, particularly in Birthright (Revelation is better due to others falling off and being at least more PP-focused, even if less than Conquest) is that he's just unneeded for anything really
and also Golden Kite Warrior is a better promotion path

Effie is probably better...but her optimal promotion path is also Great Knight, and at that point I'm not sure it counts any more :p (also there's basically no point to going General, getting Defensive Formation literally locks her out of doubling slower enemies)

Takumi's problem, particularly in Birthright (Revelation is better due to others falling off and being at least more PP-focused, even if less than Conquest) is that he's just unneeded for anything really
and also Golden Kite Warrior is a better promotion path

I would still argue that Shockstick Hinoka and Takumi is really damn helpful for breaking the lategame generals and great knights.

PK Gaming

I'd say i'm surprised (I don't remember that being a thing but I beat Radiant Dawn a while ago and don't remember that needing to be unlocked), but this is the game that makes you have to play the game twice to be able to
use Pelleas and Sephiran, although in Pelleas' case you could still end up killing him if you wanted to
because... because.

Both are incredibly slow. Path of Radiance is better than Radiant Dawn in almost every category except for maybe the artwork.

( `ー´)八(`ー´ )

Titania is hands down the best Tellius FE character. Probably not the deepest or the best written, but she's just brilliant. The best.

jwj442

the endgame is a joke, more so than usual. chapters are for the most part bland. the laguz with a few exceptions are borderline useless. bonus exp is a frustrating exercise in futility. don't get me wrong, path of radiance has a lot of strong points, but there's also a lot of chaff.
The main problem with Path of Radiance's balance is that the Japanese version's maniac mode was removed from the English version. The English "hard" difficulty is only a small step up from Normal and mostly toothless if it's not your first Fire Emblem. "Easy" mode wasn't even in the JP version. In maniac, enemies have much better stats (roughly on par with your characters) and better equipment, unpromoted enemies are completely phased out by chapter 20, and enemies are MUCH more numerous. Much less bonus XP too, and somewhat less regular XP from kills just to compensate for the greater numbers.

Titania really has to carry your party in the early game, and even then the enemies get tough enough by chapter 9ish for her to die if you're careless and let her get swarmed. Then later on you'll have big packs of sages with siege tomes and good magic stats, swordmasters that are fast enough to double a lot of your characters, and other tricky stuff. Actually some things about the game's design make more sense in maniac. Ever wonder why FE9 gave generals swords instead of axes? It's because enemy maniac generals are really beefy tanks like generals should be, and weapon triangle advantage against axes makes them that much harder to kill. Laguz are (somewhat) more useful too, because sometimes a few turns of high stats is just what you need for some breathing room. The nice thing is that the difficulty is usually manageable with smart play and seldom crosses into cheapness, though sometimes trying to get all the treasure is too luck-dependent.

Maybe one day we'll get a "Tellius saga" remaster, and if we do hopefully Treehouse won't gut the difficulty again.

Top Bottom