• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Fates Translation Project CEASED

Pretty much. I wouldn't be surprised if this contributed to them stopping in some respect.

I don't think so. The fan translation for the game started long before we knew about the changes for Soleil and the axing of the face petting minigame.

I know that, but those two aspects did light a fire on the internet well before we knew the Fates of those two things.

I'm saying that the motivation did not happen because of the changes, but by the fear that these things were going to get changed

And you know what else? Because this feels like the default culture of posters on GAF, people get scared to post and no one comes in these threads. and then threads like this become a circle jerk

We gotta start having actual conversation here

Nanashrew

Banned
If you say so. I'll take the idiotic changes over the sleeping aid these jokers were working on any day.

As someone who usually leans to the right, I find those kinds of comments more humorous than anything. There are awful, ignorant people on both sides of the aisle.

Thing about that image is that both versions are accurate, but the localization is more quality and better written. I never understood the use of the image by fan translators to point out the bad points.

I know that, but those two aspects did light a fire on the internet well before we knew the Fates of those two things.

I'm saying that the motivation did not happen because of the changes, but by the fear that these things were going to get changed

I can understand that and I agree with you. Heck I wondered if the game would make it over here without changes long before we knew anything concrete. I can imagine people jumping into action just from the fear of potential changes.

And you know what else? Because this feels like the default culture of posters on GAF, people get scared to post and no one comes in these threads. and then threads like this become a circle jerk

What conversation is there worth having here? A C support is full of ellipsis starring stoic ninjas. A little kid is acting like a little kid toward their parent. A support that went to roofie and conversion territory was modified to be not creepy. You cant rub anime girls and boys unless you're married to them. You don't have swimsuits. You cant hear a language that you don't understand to begin with.

This is what you guys want to lose your minds over?

Thing about that image is that both versions are accurate, but the localization is more quality and better written. I never understood the use of the image by fan translators to point out the bad points.

I'm actually confused by the image. Which is supposed to be the offender here?

Is it saying that the more Spartan translation is more accurate and the official wordy and redundant?

Or is it saying that the fan translation is unfinished and overly simplified and the official is a more professional nuanced take

The origin of the image confuses me. Either way tho, all it proves to me that the dialogue in this game is lame boring bullshit about nothing

AlucardGV

Banned

Is it saying that the more Spartan translation is more accurate and the official wordy and redundant?

Or is it saying that the fan translation is unfinished and overly simplified and the official is a more professional nuanced take

The origin of the image confuses me. Either way tho, all it proves to me that the dialogue in this game is lame boring bullshit about nothing

that one is a pic made to defend treehouse. there are other pics with treehouse translation that some people here call "uh it's more cute like this" where a girl just scream a nosense "graawraaw" or something like that
also, they completely removed a dialogue, replacing it with dots. and of course this is also way more cool, here.

Good. There are plenty of games with no localization (or legitimately horrible ones like Romancing SaGa 3).
stopping an almost complete project won't magicallly release other games

Lunar15

Sure, what would you like to discuss? The people working on the fan translation stopped of their own volition. There's some supports people don't like, but those have been discussed for ages on this board.

As for people fighting for rubbing people, well, I don't know what to tell you, we had a 100+ page thread on it that was mainly people arguing for it instead of against it.

Oh, so we don't need a real discussion then.

Nanashrew

Banned

Your guess is as good as mine. The existence of the image never made sense to me at all.

that one is a pic made to defend treehouse. there are other pics with treehouse translation that some people here call "uh it's more cute like this" where a girl just scream a nosense "graawraaw" or something like that
also, they completely removed a dialogue, replacing it with dots. and of course this is also way more cool, here.

stopping an almost complete project won't magicallly release other games

Ah, my mistake then. Things got so confusing with this whole ordeal that I thought this was to defend the fan translation or something.

Phocks

If you say so. I'll take the idiotic changes over the sleeping aid these jokers were working on any day.
The image you posted was something I agreed with? Things have to be rewritten in translations obviously but stuff like making kid's S-Ranks nonromantic or completely changing Ellie's personality are not cool.

Lunar15

Effie's personality is pretty similar to how she is in Japanese. It's just that her voice sounds tougher and more gruff than her Japanese counterpart.

Nightbird

Your guess is as good as mine. The existence of the image never made sense to me at all.

The image in this thread is a counter argument to this one:

CbT_C7vWIAIyIWc.jpg

wich I honestly don't dislike at all. It's sweet, I like it.

As an aside, the thing I'm most grateful for is that this has the possibility that people will stop posting their text as if they were the LITERAL OBJECTIVE TRUTH compared to the NOA translation, as if translation actually worked that way.

Moonlight

Banned
Effie's personality is pretty similar to how she is in Japanese. It's just that her voice sounds tougher and more gruff than her Japanese counterpart.
Which is in fairness a really silly change, IMO. The JP casting was supposed to highlight a gap. She's just... kind of a lunk in her English voice.

LordJim

A C support is full of ellipsis starring stoic ninjas.

Beruka is not a ninja, and saizo is not stoic, by any means.
Changing for no reason a kid's dialogue to growls and a meme is not really an improvement.
People being stupid enough that Soleil's support had anything to do with date rape or gay conversion and forcing them to change it is not something to celebrate.
Non married couple skinship had actually a lot of dialogue and interesting tidbits about characters, so that is less content for little reason.
I could go on about pointless changes, not just the outright bad or wrong ones, but you get the point

She is more soft spoken (does not get as excitable) and generally strength is a means to an end. At times they make it sound like she does it for the gains.
Retaining the tone of character is kinda important.

It's also weird how a fan translation stopping is news.
It certainly was not really news when it started.

Did you read this before you posted? You disagree with right wing politics so you paint them all with irrelevant attacks on their character, assuming presuming and implying up and down. You insult them.

I could argue that such statements on your part are reactionary.

Uh, that's not how I intended my post to read at all. My post was meant to highlight the splintered, vocal part of our communities (be it gaming or anime) that fits this particular bill. These libertarian-leaning antisocialites roam the Internet and focus their energy in violent and unhealthy ways.

I'm not trying to generalize anybody's politics or hobbies. I'm talking about this specific and very real demographic. These are the people who make up GG and its sympathizers, many of which also followed and championed this translation project for their own warped political reasons. To be clear, these are obviously not the only people who were interested in this project.

But we are getting into hostile territory that I think will lead us off-topic. I believe you are misinterpreting my original post, so I hope this clarifies where I was coming from. I wasn't characterizing conservative politics so much as I was attempting to characterize the kind of people who subscribe to warped and weaponized versions of them.

CazTGG

What conversation is there worth having here? A C support is full of ellipsis starring stoic ninjas. A little kid is acting like a little kid toward their parent. A support that went to roofie and conversion territory was modified to be not creepy. You cant rub anime girls and boys unless you're married to them. You don't have swimsuits. You cant hear a language that you don't understand to begin with.

Eh, not quite. The Soleil support is an improvement over the original due to it removing the lack of consent in the Japanese version and overall treatment of the character's sexuality as a joke but they cranked up the conversion therapy and the whole "lesbianism is a thing you grow out of" to 11 by
having Corrin and Soleil go through "visual exercises" to fix what she considers to be a weakness, said weakness being how she "loses her mind around cute girls", citing how one woman went to thank her which caused her to become weak in the knees

Honestly each of the official ones work fine in their own way. The one in that picture that works the least for me is the fan translation, because the first sentence says I'm happy and the second just states it again without adding anything new. Seems to be pretty redundant writing, it's too dry for my liking as well.

jonjonaug

There definitely is an argument to be made that the localization was overzealous when it came to altering and rewriting content but a lot of people making that argument are also idiots who have poor reading comprehension or are only pretending to care as an excuse to stir shit on the internet.

Lunar15

Beruka is not a ninja, and saizo is not stoic, by any means.
Changing for no reason a kid's dialogue to growls and a meme is not really an improvement.
People being stupid enough that Soleil's support had anything to do with date rape or gay conversion and forcing them to change it is not something to celebrate.
Non married couple skinship had actually a lot of dialogue and interesting tidbits about characters, so that is less content for little reason.
I could go on about pointless changes, not just the outright bad or wrong ones, but you get the point

She is more soft spoken (does not get as excitable) and generally strength is a means to an end. At times they make it sound like she does it for the gains.
Retaining the tone of character is kinda important.

However, her support convos convey that pretty well. She's incredibly caring for those she talks to and any joke about her wanting to eat a lot or bulk up is converted into using that strength for others.

I mean, there's a lot of jokes with language in japanese that are going to go over our heads as well. Things a direct translation can't possibly convey. Maybe she had an inflection in the writing that portrayed it as more gruff, or she talked like how japanese people think a bodybuilder sounds. The character they ended up with conveys the same character as "tough and caring".

But here's the thing, this is just minor nitpicking. I can go over countless games I love that got translated by a variety of teams and have problems with every single one of them. What's going on here was that you had a pretty toxic group get involved and use it to help make other points. That's what's pointless.

Most people trying to hate this translation are really going out of their way to hate it. The vast majority of it is pretty great.

Nightbird

Honestly each of the official ones work fine in their own way. The one in that picture that works the least for me is the fan translation, because the first sentence says I'm happy and the second just states it again without adding anything new. Seems to be pretty redundant writing, it's too dry for my liking as well.

Exactly. The two official ones are things I can easily imagine a kid talking like. The fan translated one, while not entirely off the mark either (some kids like to repeat their stuff, even if it doesn't make sense), feels less "child-like".

The gamer gate tone behind much of this drama was pretty awful. But on the other hand, they did create a patch that lets you play in Japanese. I can see myself revisitng the games in this way, so I'm happy that this part at least was completed.

There is no point to the image. It's from a fairly neutral Kotaku article (yes, really) that talks about the fanslation and delves into why it can take place.

The image is just a demonstration of how the official localization and the fanslation are different. Anything that can be taken away from it is purely subjective opinion.

I think you should think harder about why a problem exists than simply blaming a portion of the populace, painting them with easy identifiers, simplifying what the "enemy" looks like

I think more nuanced conversation from now on is needed. Needless attacks on people

Someone with a libertarian view on an issue does not make them a bigot in any way.

The problem is, as far as a lot of posters on this board, it is simply easy to blame people who raise these flags and insult them with little to no nuance or discussion. They are simply bad people because "X" or "y" and aren't worth treating with respect

Do you know what it's like to be called a basement dweller or insular or anti social because of your views? You feel like a fucking moron because no one will seriously discuss an issue with you like a person. It's de basing and needless especially cuz I could argue that someone displaying such behavior are anti social insular close minded people themselves.

I never said having those views automatically makes someone a basement dweller. As I said. L Thammy asked why some views tend to be common in the anime/otaku community. I provided a potential explanation as to why and then said (as part of my personal opinion) that such a thing is selfish. Maybe that last part was a bit much. For that I can apologise. I agree that nuance and civility is important.

But I never once said that having these views automatically makes someone a "basement dweller". And regarding the term "insular", I suppose that will have to depend on what the views in question are.

I'm sorry if what I said created offence, but I was not referring to you specifically when I made this post. I was intending to refer to a specific type of person, the kind who revels in causing anarchy and doesn't care about anyone other than themself. I did not mean that all anime watchers or all conservatives are that way, and I'd hoped that would have been obvious. If it wasn't, that could be on me. However, I will say to be blunt for a minute, if you believe that you are the one being referred to if these types of people are discussed, then that probably becomes an issue of self-evaluation.

LordJim

She really didn't have anything to lead to this kind of change.
Also, most people, when they talk about translating a text, they do not refer to just looking up a dictionary and presto.
Using the equivalent of a rural, countryside accent, irregular speech patters, tone (be it respectful or arrogant) and idioms is something expected from a proper translation.
Nobody would translate 'every nook and cranny' word for word in his language or ignore the speech patterns of an old man.

The problem is that in many of the supports, especially for the kids, they went into straight up rewrite territory.

The game does not lose much because of it (partly because the story is already bad and only the main characters have interactions for the most part), but it's not helping either.

I do not know what social media drama erupted over this and do not care for it, but people have good reasons to not be satisfied with what they get.

L Thammy

Yeah, when I said "right-wing groups", I probably should have specified that I was only really talking about specific ones. Sorry about that.
I don't think it's out of line to say that a right-wing group is a right-wing group though.

CazTGG

Don't the Euros get a non treehouse english translation anyway?

Historically speaking, Treehouse has only ever localized the Fire Emblem games for North America (they've localized every game in the series that made it to the west save for Shadow Dragon and Awakening which were both done by 8-4 which makes me even more confused about how some people are saying "Treehouse ruined Fire Emblem") while Europe typically has Nintendo of Europe localize it for Europe. That said, this makes some of the changes the latter team makes to the multiple European references they upon localizing the entries a bit amusing (Ostia became Ositia in Rekka no Ken off the top of my head, no idea if they changed Aenir/quintessence like the North American version).

This is what you guys want to lose your minds over?

i don't want to argue about that stupid conversations because it's a dumb lazy yuri anime trope aboui girls not being able to control themselves over other girls and rubbing on them an shit. then the stupid leap in logic it takes to justify the player character getting married to them. like every character "we can't get married because I'm your sister!" "oh don't worry because xyz" this is stupid. i don't care that it's out or in because these support conversations are all lazy anime garbage. and one was heavily publicized when i truly believe it does no harm on anyone because it's so poorly written in the first place

the ninja thing is stupid and inappropriate. don't shit over someone's writing cuz you want to make a dumb joke. does the loacilzier really thought their "..." is better than what was written? it's arrogant. or was it a mistake? people being so confused over it is evidence enough as to why its a problem and people from the other side of the aisle are choosing to lose their minds over it just as much as people on the anti treehouse side are losing their minds over solei

The rubbing... sigh. I hate that the rubbing was taken out because now that it is taken out, it has officially become a problem when it wasn't one before. do you follow me? Because someone made the decision that it was to lewd or problematic for Americans, it has now become a politicized issue that has divided people. People who don't care are now calling people who do care pedophiles and monsters and bigots and the people who do care are calling the people who don't care cultural marxists and are putting hits on left leaning treehouse employees. it's stupid because if left in, no one would care. because it's a dumb gag mode that's just there for fan service and laughs.

i am personally disappointed that it's not in because it's the type of stupid japanese bullshit that i love. you won't get that shit in a western game lemme tell you.

and the whole japanse language option? who cares. there's like 5 minutes of spoken dialogue in the game anyway. it's not an issue I have.

now all i've written are my personal beliefs on the matter. You said "you guys" and this is the actual discussion i want to have. you're needlessly angry and are painting people with a broad brush here. anyone who disagrees with you on this one issue are immediately 2000 other things and other people in your mind.

Sure, what would you like to discuss? The people working on the fan translation stopped of their own volition. There's some supports people don't like, but those have been discussed for ages on this board.

As for people fighting for rubbing people, well, I don't know what to tell you, we had a 100+ page thread on it that was mainly people arguing for it instead of against it.

Oh, so we don't need a real discussion then.

i don't actually care about this stupid fan translation or who's right or wrong. i want to discuss the GAF culture of identifying people who are fans of X and immediately assuming they are personally for Y and Z. that's the discussion i want to have. not this stupid game that isn't worth shit to me

Uh, that's not how I intended my post to read at all. My post was meant to highlight the splintered, vocal part of our communities (be it gaming or anime) that fits this particular bill. These libertarian-leaning antisocialites roam the Internet and focus their energy in violent and unhealthy ways.

I'm not trying to generalize anybody's politics or hobbies. I'm talking about this specific and very real demographic. These are the people who make up GG and its sympathizers, many of which also followed and championed this translation project for their own warped political reasons. To be clear, these are obviously not the only people who were interested in this project.

But we are getting into hostile territory that I think will lead us off-topic. I believe you are misinterpreting my original post, so I hope this clarifies where I was coming from. I wasn't characterizing conservative politics so much as I was attempting to characterize the kind of people who subscribe to warped and weaponized versions of them.

I understand it's not your intention, but I need you to understand that the topic is much more nuanced than you currently believe it is. that's what i'm trying to convey here.

because i am thinking that you see the actions of a few, and when there is any correlation to those few coming from your brothers and sisters on Neogaf, you lump them in with those few. maybe it's because it's easier for your position to win arguments? it certainly feels that way.

i have voted democrat in every election in my life. If not talking about anything to do with art, i might agree with you on most everything. but here's the deal

dumbasses on twitter have not infiltrated the entire internet. you're being paranoid i think. People who (i won't use weaponize because i don't think words are weapons in the slightest) people who hurl insults and say nasty shit exist. but they are not here. they are not me. and when i say "sometimes, we have to either respect the original artists, or don't consume products we are not interested in" i am not calling for the heads of every feminist, liberal etc etc. I am just speaking for myself, and that's what everyone does.

Battlechili

Banned
Aw, that's disappointing. I understand that they were doing this for themselves and had no obligation to anyone, but I feel a little misled and I believe a lot of other people did too. I thought this was going to be a chance to get a more accurate, less cut up translation of Fire Emblem Fates. Its a shame they aren't going to finish it. Although the translators didn't respond to criticism all that well....
In any case, I've heard some people who know Japanese say that they may take up the translation project since this team is dropping it. I do hope that happens, because leaving it unfinished like this just means that people will have to default to NoA's translation for the time being, and I know at least some people, myself included, don't like what NoA did to the game.
Aside from that, the fanslation would've been the same game but with facetouching, swimsuits, and a much blander script. It was just an unnecessary effort.
I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison. There were a lot of parts where I'd argue the fan translation did a better job. That just wasn't one of them.

Did not know that, any reason why they wouldnt just use the one thats already completed?

I think NoE does their own individual translations in English and the other various EU languages based on the Japanese version. Because using NOA's translation as a basis for those additional languages means they have to wait for them and thus waste time, leading to delayed releases.

I think that's a bit of an unfair comparison. There were a lot of parts where I'd argue the fan translation did a better job. That just wasn't one of them.

Care to share some examples? I am genuinely curious, since every example I have seen I've preferred the localization hands down.

Nanashrew

Banned
Did not know that, any reason why they wouldnt just use the one thats already completed?

They used too. EU even used to have to wait on NoA to localize games and work from that. Things changed when a word got used in Mario Party I believe, and that caused a lot of issues in EU because the word has different connotations there. So now EU gets a different localization.

Care to share some examples? I am genuinely curious, since every example I have seen I've preferred the localization hands down.

I was about to say the same thing, heh.

Yeah, that was just one screenshot, but from the other screens and videos I've seen, I think in general it seems reasonable to say that the fanslation aimed for a more direct and literal approach, which isn't quite my cup of tea.

asagami_

Banned
I wonder if the people who are against localization changes realize that this happens in every single industry and is a suggested and recommended practice when translating virtually any work.

Virtually every successful literary classic has only become internationally successful because of careful and considerate localizations based on intent rather than word-for-word translation.

I remember about a historical figure who learned spanish only to read "El quijote de la mancha" in the way it was conceived. I don't know if he read first the book in his or her own language, but sure he had a great will of learning.

So with this I don't say the people need to learn japanese, but certainly the localization is not a bad process per se, and this one is not a bad localization, not as many people claim.

redcrayon

I think NoE does their own individual translations in English and the other various EU languages based on the Japanese version. Because using NOA's translation as a basis for those additional languages means they have to wait for them and thus waste time, leading to delayed releases.
I'm glad NoE tends to do a proper UK English translation while going to the effort of preparing the others, as you say, it's probably for time reasons rather than out of the goodness of their heart. Most NA developers leave us with the US English.

The image in this thread is a counter argument to this one:

Awwww that's so adorable, you'd have to be dead inside to dislike that localization.

The image you posted was something I agreed with? Things have to be rewritten in translations obviously but stuff like making kid's S-Ranks nonromantic or completely changing Ellie's personality are not cool.

Wait, so not letting MC be a pedo is not cool?

Battlechili

Banned
Here, for instance:
http://i.imgur.com/v8UXv7J.jpg
Where a bit more information is given to the player.

There's also that one part with the girl saying "That's dragon for I love you" in the NoA translation up above. A lot of people preferred the NoA version there, as the fan translation came off as somewhat repetitious, although I think the fan translation did a better job of making it a more emotional, heartwarming scene, while NoA's at that part came off as a bit more comedic. Like, the fan translation I see as using that scene to show some girl who's ecstatic and can't stop bursting with joy as far as how happy she is on the inside, as if she's almost about to start crying tears of joy. While NoA's is more cute and adorable, which I don't really like as much. It seems less emotional to me.

Top Bottom