• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firefly is the bomb.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thaedolus

Seriously. No, really it, is. Why oh why did it only get 14 episodes?

I'm so mad at myself for not having watched this like 2 years ago when it was on TV. And I'm mad I downloaded it instead of contributing to the DVD sales, which I will do after I'm done writing this. And I urge you all to do as well.

Never have I seen a show that so consistently kept me interested, never had me rolling my eyes and managed to get me laughing or smiling no matter what the unexpected outcome was. This was a real find, I can only hope the Gaffers out there who haven't given it a shot will try it. Honestly, it's the best TV show I've seen...probably ever.

Make sure you check out the movie that's coming...I hope it'll be just as good, and maybe be successful enough to spawn a new series...

Thaedolus

This show brings me so much joy watching it, but it also makes me so sad it was canned so fast. I really hate how FOX gets awesome shows like this and only gives them half a chance.

At least we see they might give it a second chance with Family Guy coming back...Maybe Sci Fi will pick it up or something

android

Theoretical Magician
Fox. That should tell you everything. They started the show in the wrong order, moved it around in the timeslots and generally fucked it over.

Yeah, just like android said, Fox decided to kill this show before it ever aired. The original ads tried to sell it a an SF show with a girl in a box. They decided not to air the two hour pilot unitl the end, forcing them to make a new first episode that was so overloaded with exposistion it turned off many of it's initial veiwers. Showed the eps out of order. Gave it the time slot of doom on Friday's. Never aired some of the best eps.

Fox continously on it's never ending crusade against quality.

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Movie in September! I turned my entire apartment on to the show this year with the DVDs and we're gonna see the movie day one!

Ya, what Kabuki said. It could have been great, but we'll never know. I don't think the show as it stood was great though. More than half the episodes sucked quite a bit, and it was only towards the end that it started to get interesting. I just don't get what people think makes it the greatest show ever though. Wasted potential ya, greatest ever? Eh?

Phoenix

It was a great show that apparently Fox didn't seem willing to place in a more 'target audience friendly' location. This is a skill that Fox has absolutely mastered. Unless its just a show that appeals to the dumbasses of America (Who wants to marry a midget), Fox just can't seem to place truly original content in a decent slot and consequently it dies because of poor ratings.

LakeEarth

Excellent show but doomed from the start. Once FOX figured out it wouldn't be an all out action explosion fiasco (what do you MEAN the ship doesn't have any lasers on it?!?) they decided to kill it right away.

Oh well, at least we got the movie.

Azih

Marty Chinn said:
Ya, what Kabuki said. It could have been great, but we'll never know. I don't think the show as it stood was great though. More than half the episodes sucked quite a bit, and it was only towards the end that it started to get interesting. I just don't get what people think makes it the greatest show ever though. Wasted potential ya, greatest ever? Eh?
The universe it created was exceptional. Full of tiny little details that really weren't necessary but really made the world come alive. All the characters were really interesting (really astounding considering it's a 9 person crew) and there were a ton of things that were begging to be explored and revealed both about the world (reavers, Alliance secret organisations) and the characters past and future. It had the best *start* of any Joss Whedon show and that just boded damn well for the rest of it.

Thaedolus

I dunno Kabuki, I didn't find a single episode I didn't thoroughly enjoy. And my brother told me, too, that some of them wouldn't be so great. I thought they were all really well done, and when I saw all 14 I just wanted to keep watching :(

FnordChan

Thaedolus said:
At least we see they might give it a second chance with Family Guy coming back...Maybe Sci Fi will pick it up or something

I'm fuzzy on the details, but my understanding is that the actors signed a three film contract; if Serenity does well, we'll get two more Firefly flicks. The drawback is that this rules out television for the time being. Can anyone confirm this, or am I just making shit up again?

Edit: "The deal they have with Universal precludes another TV show - so a revival ain't gonna happen. The plan is, if the film does well enough, to have a trilogy of films".

FnordChan

Thaedolus

:(

Maybe since the actors seem to love the show so much they'll want to keep it going after three films. Assuming the first one does well enough...

Boogie

Phoenix said:
It was a great show that apparently Fox didn't seem willing to place in a more 'target audience friendly' location. This is a skill that Fox has absolutely mastered. Unless its just a show that appeals to the dumbasses of America (Who wants to marry a midget), Fox just can't seem to place truly original content in a decent slot and consequently it dies because of poor ratings.

The blessed exception to this rule being the awesomeness that is 24. ;P

LakeEarth

Boogie said:
The blessed exception to this rule being the awesomeness that is 24. ;P
I'm telling you, if that show didn't star an established movie star, FOX wouldn't have let it last past the first season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom