• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firewatch movie in the works + almost 1m Firewatch copies sold to date

I really, really wanted to like Firewatch more than I did, but it kind of left me cold. I ended up not enjoying my time with it all that much, particularly due to the way the story sorted itself out in the second half. Also, for as much praise as the dialogue got I found it too often dipped into overbearing or annoying smarminess/sarcasm in Henry and Delilah's senses of humour.

Not really sure what to make of a potential adaptation since that would likely carry through the plot and character traits I didn't really dig at all, but good for them all the same I guess.

Pretty much feel the same way. I bought Firewatch in support of Olly Moss and his beautiful art style. Was hoping there could be a decent adventure game/ narrative to go with it. But it kinda ends real flaccidly. I get what it's going for.
A non-twist of sorts to subvert expectations with a more realistic, tragic, and personal story.
But I don't think it really pulls it off well. It just felt like it was leaning too hard into the twist by setting up all these red herrings and weird JJ Abrams style Lost mysteries. It could easily have set up an eerie and tense atmosphere without all the mystery fences and number stations. I did find the dialogue a bit too sweet and chummy as well. I actually think a movie could really iron out the problems I had with the narrative aspect.

I enjoyed the atmosphere, the visuals, and the walking and hiking and all that though.

I can't imagine these characters with any other voices, so I hope they get the same cast.

Most likely they're on board, they worked well in the game so I can't see anyone else playing the two main characters other than Rich Summers and Cissy Jones.

Congratulations to everyone at Campo Santo!

Poor Chris Remo is already working on a new game in his closet sized office building. Guys, he doesn't sleep.

309b9ae5bbed555e490fda855beea53b.png

RedHill

Banned
Why are films viewed as such a high accomplishment over video games. The GP looks at them as video games being validated into "real" art.

Kerned

Banned
Of all the video game to movie ideas I've heard over the years, this one makes the most sense. I think in the right hands it could be a really interesting film, and I found the game pretty disappointing.

bronk

Banned
I couldnt play for more than an hour and a half. This game is at the top of my list of games that make me the sickest this year. Massive headache :( from what I played I enjoyed it very much.

Bluecondor

It could be great depending on the actors/actresses. The story would have a much different feel to it than what we experienced in the game depending on who plays the various characters and what is emphasized by the director, etc.

A director with a style like David Lynch's could really run with various parts of the story and make it come to life through the characters and scene choices.

To be honest, I think it would make a pretty good low budget indie flick. But as someone who has already played the game, I have zero desire to watch it. That's fine though. There will be plenty of people who will have never picked up the game and be able to enjoy it as a movie without even realizing it's origins.

Didn't know the game was that loved, I remember consensus being pretty negative-average upon release. That ending annoyed me though the game's story was pretty interesting.

ArjanN

Why are films viewed as such a high accomplishment over video games. The GP looks at them as video games being validated into "real" art.

Because movies have been around much longer and are thus more accepted as 'art', while video games still have an air of 'toys for kids' around them to a lot of
out of touch
people, not really rocket science.

The game went nowhere. Is the movie the true ending?

Yeahhh....no.

Like Gone Home it definitely relies on misdirection a certain amount to have the twist / real story be something much more subtle, down to earth and character driven, but that doesn't make it a bad story at all. I feel a lot of people complaining about the story were actually more annoyed that the story isn't what they thought it was

IMACOMPUTA

I loved firewatch.
But, the story loses all of its charm if you don't "play as" the protagonist.
It heavily relies on a naturally forming relationship as the driver of the story.
Without feeling like you're a part of that, all that's left is a cliche story.

I really feel like replaying firewatch.

moozoom

Blanking a bit on which actor could play the main part... Rich summer is pretty cute, but a bit young to play Henry even if he grows a beard. Loved his voice acting in the game, so he may be a great choice.

Sean astin has the stumpy bearish look and the age is right, but he's sometimes a bit cheesy in his roles.
j27ceG8.jpg

I guess Ty Olsson could also make a burly and handsome fire lookout.
And I'd really like to see him pose naked for Julia's drawings.
4BYYrfy.jpg

...either way, I guess Delilah must stay a voice if the story stays mostly the same... or a silhouette maybe that you only see briefly at the end.

The hardest part will be that the visuals will have to compete with Olly Moss art direction... they better hire a great director of photography.

Anyway, curious to see how the adapt the story and gameplay to fit the movie format.

LordOfChaos

I'm glad they got those sales. The end didn't resonate with everyone, but I liked most of the game.

Movie, eh...I'm cautiously interested, I hope they don't butcher the conversion.

LordOfChaos

I don't really see the point in adapting something that's already so short and accessible.

I know a lot of people who won't touch a video game (well, they themselves don't count mobile). And they certainly wouldn't watch all its story bits on youtube. So a movie adds accessibility for sharing the story with them.

It's like Bioshock 1/Infinite, I thought those were fantastic stories, but I won't be able to share them with my friends and family who won't play or are actively against (yeah, weird) games.

WITHE1982

Firewatch, Oxenfree...

Interesting to see indie games getting movie adaptations

Why am I just hearing about this now!

Awesome news on Oxenfree. One of the most legit sleeper hits for me. I'm playing through Firewatch again right now and it's still a very enjoyable game (ending aside).

As far as the movie adaptations go I'm not sure if they'll ever see the light of day but I'm all for video games trying to cross over to other media. There's been very few successes in the past (Silent Hill, Hitman & Prince Of Persia) so hopefully these more "indie feel" games will translate better to the big screen.

Mdk7

I really, really wanted to like Firewatch more than I did, but it kind of left me cold. I ended up not enjoying my time with it all that much, particularly due to the way the story sorted itself out in the second half. Also, for as much praise as the dialogue got I found it too often dipped into smarminess/sarcasm in Henry and Delilah's senses of humour in a way that was more irritating than endearing.

Not really sure what to make of a potential adaptation since that would likely carry through the plot and character traits I didn't really dig at all, but good for them all the same I guess.

I second everything in this post.

thenexus6

Why am I just hearing about this now!

Awesome news on Oxenfree. One of the most legit sleeper hits for me.

As far as the movie adaptations go I'm not sure if they'll ever see the light of day but I'm all for video games trying to cross over to other media. There's been very few successes in the past (Silent Hill, Hitman & Prince Of Persia aside) so hopefully these more "indie feel" games will translate better to the big screen.

First I am hearing about Oxenfree too! Awesome game, as is Firewatch.

flkraven

I wonder how they will translate the mix of 2 hours of joy, mystery, and immersion and 20 minutes of crippling disappointment that invalidates the entire experience to the big screen.

Falchion

Wow, both of those are crazy. I've yet to play it but it must be good enough to warrant the movie interest. The aesthetic and characters certainly seem rich enough to support a film.

Aaron

Hope they change the ending for the movie. Having the central conceit solved by
what's essentially a side plot that has next to nothing to do with what you're doing up until it hits
would be even less effective in a modern movie.

TB14

Not at all interested in a movie, but I loved the game. Of course, I'm a sucker for "walking simulators" anyway . Good for Campo Santo, though.

DSix

Banned
It's funny, they announce they got a million sales and at the same time they announce how they will waste all the profits on a terrible idea.

It's funny, they announce they got a million sales and at the same time they announce how they will waste all the profits on a terrible idea.

Hopefully Good Universe is covering the costs of making the movie. Definitely seems like a bad idea if Campo Santo is paying for it. Even if the game it's based on is good I've yet to see any evidence that a decent movie adaptation of a video game can exist.

Top Bottom