• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Firingsquads Wii impressions (lol)

SantaC

He sure seems to love it!
Not surprised it is firingsquad (the "cool" guys)
:lol

Some quotes:

As far as Wii Sports itself….well we predicted this from the get-go; it’s a game that’s mostly used as a way to get people to get used to the controller and in that aspect it works very well. But it’s just not that good of a game in of itself. The “cute” graphics are a little too primitive and the gameplay itself gets old really quick. There’s not a lot of challenge to be had here. The remote does seem to respond fairly accurately to the game’s action but overall it reminds us of the games including in the first PS2 Eyetoy product; it’s fun and different for five minutes to swing a controller as if it was a real bat or a real golf club but in the end you will be putting this on the shelf really quick as the more advanced Wiii games come out.

eyetoy, lol

Using the controller to do more mundane tasks like setting up the Wii for its first launch is actually kind of a game in itself as you point the controller at the screen and the cursor on the TV reactions to, say, the virtual keyboard that you can use to type quick “Post-it” like notes on screen. Overall, however, the UI and features of the Wii’s menu is, well, too cute for us. It’s stuff like he overall white themed UI to things like the typeface and even the perky but elevator music –like sounds on the menu screen. The Wii presents itself to the user as something that a kid, and a kid only, would use and enjoy and not the whole family. There’s nothing wrong with marketing a game console for kids; we just thought the idea was that Nintendo was going for a much broader marketplace. The Wii’s overall presentation just seems to be going for a much younger mindset. Of course, it could be trying to maintain the family image by making sure it’s aimed at the lowest common denominator.

Wii too cute for them, and not for the whole family :lol

This is certainly true of the feature that gives people a chance to create cute 3D cartoon avatars for themselves that can be incorporated into things Wii Sports and other upcoming games. The options are relatively few and the end result is a process that you can use to create an avatar that only sort of looks like you if you squint at it

Well I think the Mii stuff is pretty fun...

Nintendo likes to pride itself on its rabid fans but I bet these fans would appreciate the opportunity for better communication and better playing with online multiplayer. Hopefully Nintendo fans won’t have to wait too long but if Nintend can’t even offer a web browser for its launch we think we might have to wait up to a year before Nintendo brings on the multiplayer online games for the Wii in the states.

A year? First online games will be in Q1 2007 from what I know. And oh yeah, professional to write rabid nintendo fans in a writeup like this.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/wii_first_impressions/

Defcon

Banned
To be expected, not everyone is going to like the Wii. Hopefully there are some cool games later on down the road that possibly change the minds of some of these guys that are so hellbent against it.

Aurora

It's true, his bitching about the lack of options on the Mii creation is retarded. It's just supposed to be some harmless fun little addition to games, Nintendo had no plan to allow players to make photo-realistic avatars of themselves.

This guy has missed the whole point of Wii.

JCal said:
It took a little longer than we had initially thought but Nintendo finally sent us a brand spanking new Wii console to try out.

Nice way to start off an article... complaining that you had to wait a week to get a new console for free.

I can't help but to feel like that he's unhappy that the machine is not "manly" enough for him. Oh, and I'm sure he would enjoy WiiSports if he had any friends. :D

we're talking about the same firingsquad that is made up of hardcore pc gamers who put graphics really high on their list of likes and wrote pages about how quake 3 was better than UT because of the 'feel'?

they're welcome to their opinion, but i don't share it, and nor do most.

i really don't care what Thresh and co think is or isn't mainstream.

Deku

Banned
Well I wouldn't be surprised if they read GAF and decided to do bring some balance to this double launch we just had, not that the Wii deserved their commentary of course, but it's the marketplace of ideas (shitty or otherwise) working and I'm all for it.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I've played Wii sports for the first time today, and the comparison with Eyetoy games is perfectly apt. It's nice for quick bursts of group fun, like for example Eyetoy Groove was. Nothing wrong with that.

Tiktaalik

Mii's are a great idea, but the implementation of them is completely half assed. Where are the hats, clothes, accessories, color pickers, and pattern makers?

"Mii's are a great idea, but the implementation of them is completely half assed. Where are the hats, clothes, accessories, color pickers, and pattern makers?"

I hope Nintendo is not going to try and sell these on the virtual console :)

Seth C

Booser said:
Only a kid will want to use the Wii and its photo, weather and news channels etc.

Confirmed.

I don't agree with the article, but to be fair, the Wii doesn't actually have a weather or a news channel yet. Disappointing.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
lol @ FS impressions contrasted against just about the ENTIRE MAINSTREAM MEDIA and every normal, non-gamer who's walked up to the Wii.

There's probably /nothing/ anyone could design that would apppear friendly and not stereotypically "nerd / geek / online gamer addict", while not seeming "kiddy" to said nerds / geeks / online gamer addicts. At least, not to the, shall we say, hardcore types.

FYI, Firingsquad must not have ever used a Dish Network television setup, as the menu system and style is very much in the vein Nintendo tried for with the Wii. It's mainstream friendly, non-threatening, and familiar.

Or maybe satellite television is teh kiddeh :lol

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not sure you are allowed to be called

FIRING SQUAD YEEEEEEEAAAAARRRRRRRGGGH

unless you think nintendo is for babies.

lawnjam

PsychoCandy said:
"Mii's are a great idea, but the implementation of them is completely half assed. Where are the hats, clothes, accessories, color pickers, and pattern makers?"

I hope Nintendo is not going to try and sell these on the virtual console :)

Worse, Tom Nook will be selling them. You'll have to work for those bells!

Demigod Mac

Firingsquad may be a shameless Microsoft shill, but kudos to them for having the balls to voice just criticism against a system defended by a virtual lynch mob.

Vyer

lol.

Families won't like it. Families won't like it. That pretty much kills this whole 'review'.

Who is firingsquad?

thefro

Demigod Mac said:
Firingsquad may be a shameless Microsoft shill, but kudos to them for having the balls to voice just criticism against a system defended by a virtual lynch mob.

Well, they have some valid points, but resorting to "Nintendo is kiddie, lol" and claiming that "families won't like it" (I'm guessing they're probably single guys) with no evidence to back up their point aren't among them.

Zaxxon said:
Mii's are a great idea, but the implementation of them is completely half assed. Where are the hats, clothes, accessories, color pickers, and pattern makers?
Yeah. What with the ability to do downloads and updates I hope they improve the Miis, though it may make for some compatibility problems. Assuming, that is, that games like Wii Sports actually pull the Mii data from the console itself rather than having its own stored copy of the models/textures/colors that it uses the specifications of a Mii to create. If it does allow for such expandability, even Wii Sports could end up using a new haircut introduced in 2008 or whatever. The only problem this could introduce, though, is trying to take a Mii saved on a remote to use on the system of someone who has an outdated Mii Channel and thus can't properly interpret your Mii.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
oh no someone's evaluating wii on its merits instead of inviting a bunch of acquaintances over and reporting how amused they were by wii sports

bud

dammedancing01.gif

Geek

Ninny Prancer
Demigod Mac said:

John Callaham must have HUGE balls to take a risk like this.

Bulla564

Banned
drohne said:
oh no someone's evaluating wii on its merits instead of inviting a bunch of acquaintances over and reporting how amused they were by wii sports

Some people here don't appreciate that kind of behavior...

Gahiggidy

My aunt & uncle run a Mom & Pop store, "The Gamecube Hut", and sold 80k WiiU within minutes of opening.
Its confirmed... "Wii: Not for families."

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
Buggy Loop said:
If there's someone on this forum that made a full 180 with Wii, its that man.

if there's someone on this forum who's made a full 180 on every conceivable subject it's also that man

Top Bottom