• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First 40 minutes of Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Adaren

Never seen anyone do this in real life?

Tons of pictures like that if you google "unzipped hoodie".

It's not quite the same thing. It doesn't look like the zipper can actually go up higher than it is, and it does make her look more full-chested than she otherwise would.

If it's a real world clothing item, I'm not sure what it's called.

It really feels like this franchise fell off a cliff after last year, I almost forgot this game existed until this thread. It'll be interesting to see the sales numbers for this one.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Looks neat, nice to see the modern day story actually be a thing from time to time, even still don't like that we're playing a non name rando.

I actually like Rebecca and Shawn's new designs. Better than the ones from IV:BF, at least. Animus still features cutscenes with stuff that makes no sense from a story perspective. (Who's watching him write the letter and read it out loud?)

Gameplay looks like Assassin's Creed. Slightly faster combat? Still has the shitty progression systems from Unity. I hope they eventually remove it, because it's kills me. UI could be improved but meh. I like the characters so far.

EDIT: Game actually looks good, looks-wise. Seems they lost some detail from Unity, but that's probably a compromise for the sake of actually running the game properly.

Warablo

I didn't watch but whenever I see the future story events like Shaun and Rebecca, I always think like they still care. It gives me some hope. lol

Never seen anyone do this in real life?

WRIDhyL.jpg

Tons of pictures like that if you google "unzipped hoodie".

that hoodie isn't tight though. it makes some sense on a loose hoodie if you just want to show the shirt underneath, but on a tight jacket/vest like hers (and how it's open wide up top and not just a narrow opening) it just comes across as poor character design to make her appeal more to men.

Jeremy

It's not quite the same thing. It doesn't look like the zipper can actually go up higher than it is, and it does make her look more full-chested than she otherwise would.

That's obviously a brest.

eshwaaz

I can't get over how herky-jerky the combat animations are. Through all of the ups-and-downs this franchise has gone through, character animation has always remained a strength. Sad to see even that has suffered this time.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Ooh modern day. Screenshot makes me think voiceless, first person Ubistergo employee again?

Nah, you play as the voiceless person from Unity. (There's actually two separate voiceless, first person Ubistergo employees!)

EDIT: Watching the combat in the video again, why is it that everyone who does previews sucks at the combat in AC? It's not even that hard.

Man, ubi really needs to get with the times and embrace UI elements that only pop up when actually needed, instead of being forced into hard on/off states.

The model isn't particularly detailed. You're nitpicking.

Skux

Trying their best to emulate Batman Arkham combat I see, which is what they should have been doing three games ago.

The UI is a disaster again. Why do I need an indicator telling me where guys are when I can see them right on my screen?

Vire

What.. if anything is this game doing new? This honestly seems like a direct sequel to Unity.

Jerky animations intact and all.

RexNovis

Banned
So this is what passes for "stealth" these days? Random non interactive npcs everywhere that seem to give no shits who this strangely dressed dude running around their factory like a monkey is.

I also see that Ubi's penchant for obtrusive hideous UI has evolved one step further. God these games are getting so played out. They seriously need to just completely revamp the entire gameplay anything less is pointless.

that hoodie isn't tight though. it makes some sense on a loose hoodie if you just want to show the shirt underneath, but on a tight jacket/vest like hers (and how it's open wide up top and not just a narrow opening) it just comes across as poor character design to make her appeal more to men.

this is a better example:

img-thing

dakun

it feels weirdly liberating not caring very much about Assassin's Creed anymore..
i love it for the world it builds each game and the accomplishment of recreating a historic place in time.. and i always feel this itch that makes me want to just jump in for that
but in general i don't care enough about the story or any of its characters anymore to play it day 1 and trying to get rid of the (what felt like) thousands of icons on the map and clearing every meaningless task given to you by the game..

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So this is what passes for "stealth" these days? Random non interactive npcs everywhere that seem to give no shits who this strangely dressed dude running around their factory like a monkey is.

It's almost as if the tutorial area full of factory workers who don't get paid to notice shit is full of factory workers that don't get paid to notice shit and is also a tutorial area. If you watch the rest of the video when the character moves on to a section more densely filled with guards. There's also a part where the other character infiltrates another area with more guards.

I'm not saying that Assassin's Creed has award winning stealth, but you're exaggerating.

Is this the first Assassin's Creed game with little kids roaming about?

It is, actually! Well there were child characters in other AC games that could be found in the free-roam but they were always mission starters and not NPCs.

niosh

Banned
It looks good, I may pick it up but not until after a big enough price drop.

Ive been loyal to the series but AC Unity burned me pretty bad.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Watched the entire video and the guy playing isn't that good especially when he was playing as Jacob. Definitely looking forward to picking up on release day. Six more days to go for my last pre-order and pick up on release day purchase until February. Can't wait.

Unity was a solid 8/10 for me and if I can turn off that ring and a few other things, I'll be happy with Syndicate. Like the setup where it appears to be two missions in one where you play as one character and then the other. Hope the game is mostly setup this way as it would be something new, different and allow you to build up both characters equally.

While it may not be saying much, if Syndicate can surpass Unity (which it should), I'll be a happy gamer. :)

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Watched the entire video and the guy playing isn't that good especially when he was playing as Jacob. Definitely looking forward to picking up on release day. Six more days to go for my last pre-order and pick up on release day purchase until February. Can't wait.

Unity was a solid 8/10 for me and if I can turn off that ring and a few other things, I'll be happy with Syndicate. Like the setup where it appears to be two missions in one where you play as one character and then the other. Hope the game is mostly setup this way as it would be something new, different and allow you to build up both characters equally.

While it may not be saying much, if Syndicate can surpass Unity (which it should), I'll be a happy gamer. :)

Syndicate surpassing Unity shouldn't be too hard, although reports say that Evie missions are few and far between, with about 70% of the missions being Jacob ones.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Way too much HUD clutter. The elements are not only ugly, but sometimes way too big. Why does Ubisoft still do this year after year?

longdi

Banned
The NPC AI looks silly when they have no field of view. You just crouch walk around them and they don't even react to this stranger.

I also see that Ubi's penchant for obtrusive hideous UI has evolved one step further. God these games are getting so played out. They seriously need to just completely revamp the entire gameplay anything less is pointless.

Im grinding myself through Unity the last two days and holy shit this clunky controls and animations. You want into a building? You have to fight with the controls and animations...
Made me really mad. Or one coop mission ive played solo where i had to do a flag parkour... it was so annoying.

This clunky controls and outdated mechanics are things that will keep me away from any future Asscreed game.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Im grinding myself through Unity the last two days and holy shit this clunky controls and animations. You want into a building? You have to fight with the controls and animations...

They actually "fixed" getting into buildings in this one; now if you're near a window while climbing you can press a button to automatically enter. Also, do yourself a favour and don't grind yourself through Unity, noone deserves that.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
This clunky controls and outdated mechanics are things that will keep me away from any future Asscreed game.

Which is funny since Unity was the game that was supposed to fix these issues and all they did was make it worse.

No Ubisoft, I won't want to jump on this stomp while a bunch of people are chasing me and I definitely don't want to rotate around it while they're all stabbing in the face.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Which is funny since Unity was the game that was supposed to fix these issues and all they did was make it worse.

AC 3 was 'the game that was supposed to fix' those issues. They went from instant chain kills because of the tedious combat to health sponge enemies in this game as well. It's all cyclical.

It's all lip service.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
AC 3 was 'the game that was supposed to fix' those issues. They went from instant chain kills because of the tedious combat to health sponge enemies in this game as well. It's all cyclical.

It's all lip service.

That's the only game in the series that I haven't played so I don't know if they were saying that before the game came out. However, I do remember that E3 demo for Unity showing all the new ways to traverse the environment that made it seem like they had finally figured it out.

It's sad to see that after a fuck ton of games they still can't figure it out and yet Mordon, after one game, completely outclassed Assassin's Creed.

Aren't a lot of the HUD elements removable? The only issue in Unity was if you hold down the R3 button, it makes everything disappear. I would at least like the mini map on screen but its a great solution for people who hate it. Just most people don't want to and choose to complain instead.

I heard the rings are set to toggle as well. Looks okay too, I thought it was going to be completely broken at launch like Unity as most people suggested? The only thing that truly bothered me is how its an "Assassin's Creed" game yet the regular NPC's say nothing as Jacob shut off the machines. Like why not put guards there and you have to lure them away with coin?

It is a tutorial but seems pretty run of the mill. Definitely a buy, however at $20-30 like I did with Unity. The angry resentment towards this game and the franchise is getting a bit unhealthy though.. Seems like every thread is toxic lately with some even calling those who enjoy these games dumb consumers. Chill out, let it die on its own terms.

Best wishes.

Coonce

Are the controls still the same then? I can't really tell from this video if everything is still bound to the same button from the language. It's my biggest issue with the AC series, I feel like I'm constantly FIGHTING the controls do what I want.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
Aren't a lot of the HUD elements removable? The only issue in Unity was if you hold down the R3 button, it makes everything disappear. I would at least like the mini map on screen but its a great solution for people who hate it. Just most people don't want to and choose to complain instead.

I heard the rings are set to toggle as well. Looks okay too, I thought it was going to be completely broken at launch like Unity as most people suggested? The only thing that truly bothered me is how its an "Assassin's Creed" game yet the regular NPC's say nothing as Jacob shut off the machines. Like why not put guards there and you have to lure them away with coin?

It is a tutorial but seems pretty run of the mill. Definitely a buy, however at $20-30 like I did with Unity. The angry resentment towards this game and the franchise is getting a bit unhealthy though.. Seems like every thread is toxic lately with some even calling those who enjoy these games dumb consumers. Chill out, let it die on its own terms.

Best wishes.

You can even choose which HUD elements to hide completely since the first game. Like, if you just want to hide everything but the minimap you can go to the options menu and do so.

As for the brokenness, it definitely won't be as bad as Unity. Since the reveal they've been much more lax with regards to how they present the game, a lot less super scripted vertical slices and way more just regular-ass gameplay.

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
Syndicate surpassing Unity shouldn't be too hard, although reports say that Evie missions are few and far between, with about 70% of the missions being Jacob ones.

I hope the differential isn't 70-30 as that would suck. Watching the video, I actually like the intro and playing as both characters one after the other to complete different assassinations and both being setup in a different area. Watching that is what im actually hoping for in the game so im hoping those reports are false.

ironcreed

Banned
Yep, that is another Assassins Creed. But I will say that London does look great. Very pretty game and seems to run better than Unity. I will give it that much credit.

jett

D-Member
They seem to get lazier with the present day shit with each game. Is there anything resembling an overarching story there?

Top Bottom