• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First and business class - is there really a $500 difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cvxfreak

By the forces of luck, my trip to Asia had be going there on business class and back on first class (hey - it's a long trip). Business class is, as I previously heard it, the middle-but-still-totally-awesome airline class, leagues ahead of the economy/coach class. You can recline the thick seats into a bed-like position, ask for some kind of food or drink whenever you want, and you get a storage compartment right next to you if you're a window seater. They also give you nice packs with toothbrushes, eye pads, socks and ear muffes. Oh, and business class is on the upper deck. Usually business class is restricted to flights longer than two or three hours.

If business class were THAT good, I couldn't imagine first class. But on my return flight I came to the cabin... and it was all the same. Perhaps it was due to the different airplanes, but it was the same airline. In fact, the seats couldn't even be reclined as much as in business class. Well, I noticed a difference in the complimentary packs. Along with what they gave you in the business class, you got a comb and a brush, more toothpaste, and medicine. It also came in a nicer packaging. The food also tasted somewhat better and you got more amounts. The movie screen was also bigger.

But that was basically it. A $500 difference? I think not.

xsarien

daedsiluap
As an aside, I don't understand why people buy first class tickets for flights that only last for about an hour or two.

cvxfreak

^Yeah, that's true. On United for example, first class on the one-hour flights between L.A. and San Francisco aren't even that good, they're just spacier. There's practically no real point.

pestul

Super-low economy class is really not worth it for longer flights (>4hrs).. I know, I flew Tango (Canadian) from Newfoundland to BC. I was crooked for the first week of my trip. :(

cvxfreak

Yeah. Economy class is virtually a nightmare to me. You have to worry about not intruding other people's space, deal with subpar food, potentially lose leg space and no anemities. :(

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
CVXFREAK said:
Yeah. Economy class is virtually a nightmare to me. You have to worry about not intruding other people's space, deal with subpar food, potentially lose leg space and no anemities. :(

My first flight ever was a 12 hour flight to Japan in economy. Not only were my legs in pain, all the people around me were short enough to sleep comfortably, so I didn't have anyone to talk to, the movies sucked, and I got weird looks from the old women near me because of the light from my GBA.
Lord it sucked.

Draff

Taking economy isn't that bad.
Most airline companies incoporate TVs into the back of each seat now and some (JAL comes to mind) have some games.

cvxfreak

Luckily being in SF, my flight to Japan was only 9 hours, but it's still a terribly long time. Me and my mother were in the same row as a big and wide guy, too. We tried to upgrade but it was full. :(

cvxfreak

Draff said:
Most airline companies incoporate TVs into the back of each seat now and some (JAL comes to mind) have some games.

OoO! Japan Airlines sounds very interesting! I hear it's one of the better airlines around. Unfortunately, on Philippine Airlines first/business class, none of the games worked for some reason. I'll be sure to try it next time I'm going to Japan.

Draff said:

IAWTP, but is does depend on the airline though.

Pellham

Banned
As an aside, I don't understand why people buy first class tickets for flights that only last for about an hour or two.

If they were wealthy enough, the cost difference would be negligible (think millionaires).

shoplifter

RevenantKioku said:
My first flight ever was a 12 hour flight to Japan in economy. Not only were my legs in pain, all the people around me were short enough to sleep comfortably, so I didn't have anyone to talk to, the movies sucked, and I got weird looks from the old women near me because of the light from my GBA.
Lord it sucked.

its all about volunteering for the exit seats if you're on a US airline.

Jim Bowie

Give me economy. I don't care about being comfy, guys. I get more money to spend wherever if I fly coach. That means another meal, another souveiner, or possibly another round of games at the local arcade.

Airline food isn't THAT bad. It's a little dry, but not vomit.

GG-Duo

shoplifter said:
its all about volunteering for the exit seats if you're on a US airline.

SO TRUE.

I went to Hong Kong on a Delta window seat. It was ok for the first 10 hours or so, but by the end of the 20+ hour trip I was ready to cut my legs off. (I'm 6'2")

On my return trip, I casually mentioned my previous experience to the counter lady, and so she gave me the exit seat. Apparently, as long as you can speak English well enough, they'll give you the exit seat. and OH MAN that was so spacey.

but, uh, don't get the WINDOW exit seat. The door has a bulged out handle that'll cramp your leg room.

seanoff

What airline?

on some of the SE Asian airlines and Qantas and BA First class is huge step up over business.

ie The seat in first are much wider, personal touch screen lcd, recline and turn into 2 metre + bed not a big recliner but a bed, they give you flying PJs so u change out of your clothes when u get on board, first class lounges with free everything, only 12 people, u get on thru your own aerobridge, french champange, very smooth at the front, much more luggage, free limo transfers, personal dvd players, blah blah blah.

We flew Oz- Europe rtn first class and we worked out you pay for your privacy and the space.
not so much the other stuff. We flew on frequent flyer miles.

cvxfreak

seanoff said:
What airline?

on some of the SE Asian airlines and Qantas and BA First class is huge step up over business.

ie The seat in first are much wider, personal touch screen lcd, recline and turn into 2 metre + bed not a big recliner but a bed, they give you flying PJs so u change out of your clothes when u get on board, first class lounges with free everything, only 12 people, u get on thru your own aerobridge, french champange, very smooth at the front, much more luggage, free limo transfers, personal dvd players, blah blah blah.

We flew Oz- Europe rtn first class and we worked out you pay for your privacy and the space.
not so much the other stuff. We flew on frequent flyer miles.

WOW. Now that's first class right there. :O

I flew HMY/Harmony from Vancouver to LA a few weeks ago. Simply the best flight I have ever been on. Food was great. Seats were comfy with enough leg room. Flight was smooth. Flight Attendants kept showing us with drinks. Plane arrived 5 mintues ahead of schedule. That was all in regular cabin too.

Worst airline I have ever been on was Sky Service Vancouver to Cuba. The planes sucked, the service sucked, the food sucked, it all sucked. 2nd worst was Jets Go Vancouver to Toronto.

The longest I've done in Economy was Air Transat Vancouver to London Gatwick. 12 hours of cramped sardine fun. The guy beside me was starting to go a little squirrely.

My brother has flown 1st class due to a bump up and he loved it. Choice of movies. Great food. Non stop liquor.

Troidal

If you have the extra $500 to burn, sure. Especially if the flight takes 10 hours or more, I'd do it.

Since I dont, I just try to get a seat in front of the emergency exit, or I just hope that I sit beside a cute girl and talk to her for the rest of the trip ;-) Who sits beside you can make the trip a difference, oh yes.

But these past few trips, with 10 hours flight time, I've actually acquired the skill of sleeping while sitting down uncomfortably. Dunno why, but I'm even amazed myself.

Slurpy

*drowns in jizz*
United Airlines/ American Airlines are the fucking worst, in any class. Makes Canadian airlines look luxurious.

Suranga3

Economy aint that bad on short trips. One time, me and my family flew on a 13 hour flight from vancouver to singapore, then another 6 hour flight from singapore to sri lanka like 8 years ago. Now that was painful.

cvxfreak

Troidal said:
If you have the extra $500 to burn, sure. Especially if the flight takes 10 hours or more, I'd do it.

Business class isn't economy class obviously. What I'm saying is that business class and first class are so close except for a few things here and there (one of them NOT being the seats themselves) that the $500 can net you a few extra nights at your destination.

I only paid for business class initially but got upgraded anyway which is why I was wondering. :p

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
CVXFREAK said:
OoO! Japan Airlines sounds very interesting! I hear it's one of the better airlines around. Unfortunately, on Philippine Airlines first/business class, none of the games worked for some reason. I'll be sure to try it next time I'm going to Japan.

JAL is great. The seat spacing in economy is about the same as any other airline, but imo the food is better, and you do get that screen to yourself with a decent selection of movies/music and some games (I didn't bother with them, to be honest..they weren't branded games or anything). You get a pillow and blanket too. Also, you could ask for drinks whenever you liked, and the aircrew were really nice. So nice, in fact, that they gave me extra little comforts at no extra expense (like the toothpaste, eye masks etc.). It wasn't standard with everyone, but if you get chatting to any of them, they'll sneak ya some extra stuff ;)

I have flown in coach for 12 hours a couple of times, and its really not bad, even with my freakishly long legs. I flew Continental, which has those tv screens in the back of the seat in front of you with multiple movies playing at the same time and some crappy video games. The food wasn't really great, but its not gag inducing or anything.

Chittagong

Gold Member
gofreak said:
JAL is great. The seat spacing in economy is about the same as any other airline, but imo the food is better, and you do get that screen to yourself with a decent selection of movies/music and some games (I didn't bother with them, to be honest..they weren't branded games or anything). You get a pillow and blanket too. Also, you could ask for drinks whenever you liked, and the aircrew were really nice. So nice, in fact, that they gave me extra little comforts at no extra expense (like the toothpaste, eye masks etc.). It wasn't standard with everyone, but if you get chatting to any of them, they'll sneak ya some extra stuff ;)

Agreed. Singapore - Tokyo, a rather long flight, with JAL was very nice. Good food and entertainment, excellent service. Got a very good sleep, too. It was pretty lonely though, seemed that I was the only Gaijin in the whole 777.

Domestic JAL is another story though. On the same trip, I did Tokyo - Osaka. A horribly old plane, 737 or something. Old video projectors with the three huge RGB lamps. Headphones were those old rubber pipe things you see in movies sometimes. It was a pretty shaky ride.

GG-Duo

Warm Machine said:
I flew HMY/Harmony from Vancouver to LA a few weeks ago. Simply the best flight I have ever been on. Food was great. Seats were comfy with enough leg room. Flight was smooth. Flight Attendants kept showing us with drinks. Plane arrived 5 mintues ahead of schedule. That was all in regular cabin too.

Worst airline I have ever been on was Sky Service Vancouver to Cuba. The planes sucked, the service sucked, the food sucked, it all sucked. 2nd worst was Jets Go Vancouver to Toronto.

The longest I've done in Economy was Air Transat Vancouver to London Gatwick. 12 hours of cramped sardine fun. The guy beside me was starting to go a little squirrely.

My brother has flown 1st class due to a bump up and he loved it. Choice of movies. Great food. Non stop liquor.

Uh oh. I'm flying with JetsGo on Labor Day weekend from Toronto to Vancouver. :-/

Dagon

I'm planning to go to TGS this year, so I've been pricing tickets.

London -> Tokyo Return (British Airways):

Economy (Cheapest): £810.50

Business (Flexible): £4,772.50

First Class (Flexible): £7,593.50

Frankly, I can't see how anything above Economy can possibly be worth the price. I would rather suffer in agony for the 20 hours there and back than fork out an extra £4000-7000.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dagon said:

Frankly, I can't see how anything above Economy can possibly be worth the price. I would rather suffer in agony for the 20 hours there and back than fork out an extra £4000-7000.

They are crazy prices. The economy looks reasonable enough, but I've seen cheaper. Have you tried looking at fligths from Paris? A cheapo flight on ryanair may make it worth your while.

GG-Duo said:
Uh oh. I'm flying with JetsGo on Labor Day weekend from Toronto to Vancouver. :-/

Jet's Go wasn't great mainly because you have to pay for everything while aboard the plane. What you get for your money is pretty poor as well. Mind you, that was over 2 years ago. It is possible they have gotten better, or worse...

Of the disount airlines my favorite is certainly West Jet.

Deg

Banned
Yeah thats how airlines work. You have to overpay for first/business class sadly! Most business people actually fly Economy! On most flights economy is well worth it. OF course on long flights its an issue as economy lends less well but on many airlines the first class and business class still leave messed up. My advice make sure you have something to do!
Take your GBA, music player, books etc. Chat alot but also do other stuff. Walk around now and again.

GG-Duo

Warm Machine said:
Jet's Go wasn't great mainly because you have to pay for everything while aboard the plane. What you get for your money is pretty poor as well. Mind you, that was over 2 years ago. It is possible they have gotten better, or worse...

Of the disount airlines my favorite is certainly West Jet.

I like West Jet too (the stewards always try to be funny, which is actually enjoyable), but Jets Go seem to be the cheapest. Round trip is $400 bux.

Most of the online reviews I've read have been pretty shitty, but they're mostly talking about travelling in winter though.

cvxfreak

Dagon said:

Is this through the actual airline itself, a fare dealer like Expedia or a travel agent? Usually a travel agent (especially a friend) can net you GREAT prices for business class. But $8000 for business is definitely overpriced - they honestly can't expect many people to pay that much.

IMO, economy levels should be near illegal on twenty hour flights. I wouldn't be asking for business class, but for health safety the seats should be wider and the space in general spacier; better reclined seats should also be a standard. Of course some airlines would circumvent those by upping the ante on connecting flights but ah well, ONE airline has to be nice enough. :p

Oh yeah, did you try connecting flights? A stop in Moscow or Canada might bring up some cheaper flights (and you would probably need the rest).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom