• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Angry Video Game Nerd episode was released 20 years ago

VulcanRaven

It was was released on May 25, 2004. Youtube version in 2006:

He is one of the early gaming Youtubers and is still going. I haven't watched all the episodes from the last 5 years but I'm glad he is still making videos. Some great newer ones are Drake of the 99 Dragons and Seaman. I have been rewatching his old videos recently. This is one of the first ones I remember seeing:

Last edited:

RagnarokIV

Battlebus imprisoning me \m/ >.< \m/
khpluyr4wnl81.png

Yeah uh huh yeah mmm yeah. Yeah uh huh

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
"Now you're playing with power! ...Now you're playing with fuckin' shit! You're better off fuckin' shit than fuckin' with this fucked up shit! Fuck this shit! You don't know shit about how fuckin' shitty this fuckin' shit is. It's so bad, it sucks. It's so fuckin' suck, it fucks! And I... can't take it anymore."
AVGN on the Nintendo Power Glove 🤣💀

ReyBrujo

It went bonkers when he brought Screenwave Media in. There are still a few good parts but it never reached the ColecoVision intro peak again.

What's that? A metamorphic stone rising from the blackness of negative Earth?
A towering behemoth of monstrosity brought down by extraterrestrial powers?!
Or a giant monolith of death hellbent on the annihilation of humankind, time, and all matter?
No, it's the AC adapter for a ColecoVision.

A self-indulgent glutton of a power hog!

It gets me every single time.

Last edited:

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
Love this video, I don’t know how anybody could’ve figured this game out without Nintendo Power back in the day. I sent him a message on MySpace shortly after that video came out. He took the time to write a nice response and told me how much he loves Castlevania IV and thinks that is the best in the series

Can’t believe that was 20 year ago, jeez.

Loved the old stuff back in the day, but his better videos are the informative ones. These days the rants are off, a bit immature and half hearted. He doesn't need to do it anymore, just give us his views.

Last edited:

Drell

Loved the old stuff back in the day, but his better videos are the informative ones. These days the rants are off, a bit immature and half hearted. He doesn't need to do it anymore, just give us his views.
Yeah the most recent video from him that I liked are contra and the recent castlevania espisode. Two times the nerd character went in the background and it was more about James nostalgia talking.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Show went to shit once he sold to the landwhales, but his older stuff is pretty cool. AVGN, James and Mike Mondays... even Board James, which I recommend watching without knowing anything about it. Probably the most unique and weird review series.

fart town usa

Gold Member
The early years are just pure gold. I'm still a fan but don't watch it too much anymore.

Mike Matei streams are always entertaining, he's the true AVGN but I don't say that to take away from James. James is a really talented filmmaker, the two needed each other to create that early magic. Glad they both are able to make a living from it.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I never really found his shtick all that funny. The idea was good but the execution was never there and it just felt very junior high school to me.

winjer

Gold Member
I used to see all his episodes, back when he started. Even before he moved to youtube.
But eventually, I just got tired of the same style. I still watch one or another video of him, but very rarely.
Still, I'm glad that one of the earliest internet video creators is still kicking around.

Rayderism

Funny someone brought this up. I just spent much of my time over the last week watching AVGN episodes. I started from season 1 and just watched through them all one by one. The man is legend.

I never really found his shtick all that funny. The idea was good but the execution was never there and it just felt very junior high school to me.
I half-agree. I always find his best episodes to be when he educates people on old obscure games, moments in time, or tech. Usually he doesn't do the angry stuff as much on those episodes.

Krathoon

Gold Member
There is a movie review that they can no longer show for copyright reasons.

It is the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle 3 review.

The orginal videos are floating around on the internet.

I remember it like yesterday, what a legend. Sure, it got old after a few seasons but damn there are some timeless classics among his episodes. Hats off for creating such a phenomenon.

Also, Board James was really good too!

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Screwattack. Memories.
Oh all the site drama. But they had some good YouTube shows etc.

Then it went to shit and I haven’t been on the site in ages. Is it still going ?

Is Ashen still going ?

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
They need to call it The Old, Angry Video Game Nerd. That would make it funnier.

Then make a movie where he is always bitching about being old.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
Oh. Yeah. The last Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde episode where they actually beat the game is great.

I need to collect that game.

Last edited:

Krathoon

Gold Member
The funny part about Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde is that it seems like it is impossible to beat, but you can finish it.

It is like a Dark Souls game on the nes.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Funny someone brought this up. I just spent much of my time over the last week watching AVGN episodes. I started from season 1 and just watched through them all one by one. The man is legend.

Yea, recently rewatched them all. A few stinkers, sure - but overall he has remained consistent and entertaining. The only real issues I have is that receding hairline, as silly as it is. Just keeps reminding me how long it has been going and how old I have gotten lol.

Top Bottom