• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First baby born from transplanted womb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nicktendo86

Saw this story on the TV earlier but can't see a thread which is a bit surprising as this is a fantastic medical advancement!

BBC said:
A woman in Sweden has given birth to a baby boy using a transplanted womb, in a medical first, doctors report.

The 36-year-old mother, who was born without a uterus, received a donated womb from a friend in her 60s.

The British medical journal The Lancet says the baby was born prematurely in September weighing 1.8kg (3.9lb). The father said his son was "amazing".

Cancer treatment and birth defects are the main reasons women can be left without a functioning womb.

If they want a child of their own, their only option is surrogacy.

The identity of the couple in Sweden has not been released, but it is known the mother still had functioning ovaries.

He's no different from any other child, but he will have a good story to tell.”

The couple went through IVF to produce 11 embryos, which were frozen. Doctors at the University of Gothenburg then performed the womb transplant.

The donor was a 61-year-old family friend who had gone through the menopause seven years earlier.

Drugs to suppress the immune system were needed to prevent the womb being rejected.

A year after the transplant, doctors decided they were ready to implant one of the frozen embryos and a pregnancy ensued.

The baby was born prematurely, almost 32 weeks into the pregnancy, after the mother developed pre-eclampsia and the baby's heart rate became abnormal.

Both baby and mum are now said to be doing well.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-29485996

Artificial wombs would be really cool. I guess the downside might be like totalitarian rulers using them to build clone armies or something, but otherwise it would probably be a pretty great thing for humanity and feminism and stuff.

The 61 year old womb worked great I guess. So I guess the problem with older women having kids is the old eggs?

Could you imagine rocking a 61 year old dick?

Nivash

I'm a medical student at the Sahlgrenska University Hospital in Gothenburg where the transplant was done and it's a proud time for everyone over here. I actually attended a lecture with the doctor who spearheaded the project last semester - it was an extracurricular thing some of our research-involved students arranged. Got the impression that he's a really great and humble guy. He was actually surprised anyone attended - but of course we did! We didn't just more than fill out the lecture hall, we actually had to turn some people away!

I swear he even blushed at the end when we gave him a standing ovation! The lecture was fascinating. Apparently there was a bit of a race going because some other teams across the world had also succeeded in the transplant and it was down to who got the first natural birth. Guess our guys won! But what was really interesting was hearing what it took to get to the top of your field like that. Not sure I could have sacrificed as much.

Rich!

I'm a medical student at the Sahlgrenska University Hospital in Gothenburg where the transplant was done and it's a proud time for everyone over here. I actually attended a lecture with the doctor who spearheaded the project last semester - it was an extracurricular thing some of our research-involved students arranged. Got the impression that he's a really great and humble guy. He was actually surprised anyone attended - but of course we did! We didn't just more than fill out the lecture hall, we actually had to turn some people away!

I swear he even blushed at the end when we gave him a standing ovation! The lecture was fascinating. Apparently there was a bit of a race going because some other teams across the world had also succeeded in the transplant and it was down to who got the first natural birth. Guess our guys won! But what was really interesting was hearing what it took to get to the top of your field like that. Not sure I could have sacrificed as much.

As amazing as that all is, I unfortunately cannot read it without imagining you as Dr Zoidberg.

M3d10n

A nice thing about this is that she can get the transplanted uterus removed after she's "done" using it and avoid having to take immune system suppressants for the rest of her life.

Thats amazing! :D What progress :D

Glad the mom and the baby are both doing well.

Science is awesome <3

YrwOsru.gif

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Hey, they're working on completely artificial wombs, as well as same sex "sexual cloning" (don't know what else to call it) - where they use the DNA of two males for example to make a baby.

So two dudes having a baby might not be crazy one day. Or maybe even 3+ people having a baby.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
32 weeks is pretty good, the kid probably won't have any serious health complications.

It's later than when I was born (30 weeks, mild cerebral palsey, mom was on bedrest for the last 10-12 weeks of the pregnancy.)

Christine

Does a man have eggs? This woman had functioning ovaries, just had a missing uterus.

Male eggs is easy, they just clean out the genetic material out of a donor egg and drop in the gene package from a sperm cell. More recently, progress has been made in growing egg cells from bone marrow, thus eliminating the need for donated eggs.

Female sperm is a more difficult problem, but I'm sure we'll get that figured out pretty soon too.

Lucian Cat

Kissed a mod for a tag; liked it
Hey, they're working on completely artificial wombs, as well as same sex "sexual cloning" (don't know what else to call it) - where they use the DNA of two males for example to make a baby.

So two dudes having a baby might not be crazy one day. Or maybe even 3+ people having a baby.
I think I read something recently about there being a baby born to 3 parents. I may also be imagining things.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I think I read something recently about there being a baby born to 3 parents. I may also be imagining things.
That is possible in a way.

They scrape the genetic information from a downer egg, and then use the genetic information of the two parents in it. I forget what the procedure is called. So technically the child still has two genetic parents, but it took three people to have him/her.

That is possible in a way.

They scrape the genetic information from a downer egg, and then use the genetic information of the two parents in it. I forget what the procedure is called. So technically the child still has two genetic parents, but it took three people to have him/her.

Mitochondrial DNA from the donor egg, and chromosomal DNA from the two parents.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom