• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First footage of The Conduit (Wii)

Davey Cakes

That new footage looks great.

It's exciting to know that they seem to be making full use of the Wiimote, not just for the very specific aim customization, but also with the "little things" like throwing grenades with a flick of the nunchuk or doing a melee attack by flicking the remote itself.

Some of these things have been done before, sure, but High Voltage really looks like they're polishing them up in for this game. Everything about the Conduit, control-wise, looks very responsive and intuitive so far.

I really think that people are focusing too much on how this game will look, graphically. We already know that it's pushing the hardware, and that's all that has to be said. I think the actual gameplay potential is far more intriguing.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Definitely have a cautious optimism about this one. It's nice to see that they're not rushing it out the door.

The Conduit has the potential to look better than Black, but since the aethetics are a mess and you have guns, enemies, and levels seem like they are from 3 different artists, it just ends up looking weird.

and please, take away some effects if you can't get a stable frame rate. They look bad anyway and no one cares if you can add specular whateverthefuck as a bulletpoint. Bad frame rate and point controls are a lethal combo.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
EatChildren said:
Still not terrible impressed.

The engine is technically impressive but I still don’t like their artistry. The levels shown are particularly bothersome. Everything is so dully flat-lit. If they have to fucking bake shadows to add some environmental shadow variety then they should, because as it stands everything looks like it’s being lit by a single light shining directly on it.

Agreed, it's not like next-gen titles don't do it either, so for the love of god just go for it.

And, well... I guess it's too late to hope for a change in the artistic departement (and it's not like the community didn't ask for it, I hope they wont pay too much for it at retail and then blame the Wii's audience) but at least make those ugly butt ubergeneric aliens more captivating and "original" than what a 13 old kid would do back in 1990.

AFreak said:
I tihnk Black on Xbox still looks better(graphicswise) but it does look like a Solid Shooter for the Wii.

Yeah, Black is godly and I'd pay for a Wii remake with added content a a proper final mission/multiplayer (I even made a thread about it :lol:) but it seems they went for a PCS360 only sequel (Black: Second Mission)... damn, I guess it's true that Criterion really does hate the Wii :p And it's a shame 'cause they're fucking great developers.

Well, I'm just glad I'll be playing another Black, yay! :)

EDITED FOR MASSIVE SUPPORT:
Linkzg said:
Bad frame rate and point controls are a lethal combo.

THIS! A dealbreaker, right here. Listen to him ffs.

Linkzg said:
and please, take away some effects if you can't get a stable frame rate. They look bad anyway and no one cares if you can add specular whateverthefuck as a bulletpoint. Bad frame rate and point controls are a lethal combo.
They have done a good job with listening to concerns, so hopefully that trend continues with your statement.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Linkzg said:

This.

It's one of the things that made Red Steel so difficult, when it came to aiming. A choppy framerate really kills any sense of control and precision over a pointer.

I'd much rather they scale back some of their effects if it meant the framerate would stay stable.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
They are talking about unique controls, but I didn't see anything actually new in the video. Tossing grenades, scope aiming, etc. has already been in a lot of wii shooters.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Y2Kev said:
They are talking about unique controls, but I didn't see anything actually new in the video. Tossing grenades, scope aiming, etc. has already been in a lot of wii shooters.

The unique pointer controls they were talking about (poorly), yet didn't show, is a gun that utilises the twisting mechanism of the Wii Remote. It's got a charge spread fire shot, but you can twist the remote to move the horizontal 'spread' pointers on the screen, thus choosing where you want the spread shot to fire.

Outside of that the only thing we know are the usual suspects; pointer aiming, nunchuck grenading, thrust wacking, and other such things.

Y2Kev said:

The one really unique weapon I've seen was the gun that shoots two energy bolts out to the left and right in a diagonal direction. The reason it's unique is because you swist your wrist to change what directs they shoot out.

ok, that's a really bad description. It's like in Dead Space where you can make the cutter shoot either verticle or horizontal by pressing a button, but this game lets you adjust to any angle.

The other one that you can argue is the gun that shoots a missile you control by pointing and telling it where to go, but Half-Life 2 had that, Resistance 1 had that, and it's not really unique at this point.

AFreak

Banned
Linkzg said:
The one really unique weapon I've seen was the gun that shoots two energy bolts out to the left and right in a diagonal direction. The reason it's unique is because you swist your wrist to change what directs they shoot out.

ok, that's a really bad description. It's like in Dead Space where you can make the cutter shoot either verticle or horizontal by pressing a button, but this game lets you adjust to any angle.

The other one that you can argue is the gun that shoots a missile you control by pointing and telling it where to go, but Half-Life 2 had that, Resistance 1 had that, and it's not really unique at this point.

It's unique for the Wii :)

Ysiadmihi

Banned
The game looks really fun but like has been said, I hope they can iron out those framerate issues. The entire game will be pointless if you can't take advantage of the controls.

Penguin

Y2Kev said:

Hmm, I guess it depends on how the game handles it.

But think Medal of Honor proved that the Wii has potential to make even the most standard weapons feel unique. (sniper, shotgun and rocket launcher) so maybe there are some weapons they are hiding or some features.

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the controls integrate in on the final product.

However, the graphics don't impress me any more than a Halo 2...and Halo 2 was how long ago?

pardon my frustration, but I do like games that look like they should belong in 2008 and 2009.

Dreams-Visions said:
I'm really looking forward to seeing how the controls integrate in on the final product.

However, the graphics don't impress me any more than a Halo 2...and Halo 2 was how long ago?

pardon my frustration, but I do like games that look like they should belong in 2008 and 2009.
and I like games that play like they belong in 2008 and 2009.

I'm sorry, I don't think we've met. I'm ILOSTMYBOX and I hate lots of games.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Dreams-Visions said:

Apparently Halo 2 graphics were fine back in 2006 - http://majornelson.com/archive/2006/02/25/top-10-xbox-live-games-2.aspx

Fantastical

Death Prophet
I really want to see how this looks on my TV. The quality of the footage wasn't that great, but I'm still pretty excited for this. If there is a sequel, I hope they add split-screen and co-op like they said they might.

MarkusRJR

Threi said:
:lol @ youtube comments
"i alwayz c ppl talkin bout neogaf on youtube. is it a game like neopets???? i rele wan 2 no bcuz im lookng for sumthin new 2 play."

:lol :lol :lol

My god... I think I'm going to die laughing!

Yaceka said:
"i alwayz c ppl talkin bout neogaf on youtube. is it a game like neopets???? i rele wan 2 no bcuz im lookng for sumthin new 2 play."

LMMFAO
Give this guy an account here, please!!!!!!! :lol :lol :lol

Kade

Yaceka said:

That was me.

Cipherr

Dreams-Visions said:

You realize the game is for the Wii right? Why even enter the thread? The wii is only CAPABLE of about that level. Lets not act shocked 3 years into the gen please. Its starting to make you look bad.

CamHostage

Dreams-Visions said:

Puncture said:
You realize the game is for the Wii right? Why even enter the thread? The wii is only CAPABLE of about that level. Lets not act shocked 3 years into the gen please. Its starting to make you look bad.

Similar level of technical performance doesn't mean that five years of evolving development skills and advancing mastery of techniques won't equate to a better-looking product. This High Voltage team has been bragging about it being one of the first to really develop its engine around the Wii's specific technical abilities, and they've got a burden to carry because of that. In the Wii fanboy community, these guys are even being held up as the "unlockers of Wii graphics", finally showing that this system isn't two GameCubes duct-taped together like some say...

That being said, I have no problem with how it looks so far. It's not unbelievable "OMG, THAT'S ON WII??" quality, but it looks nice, with busy stages and cool enemies and good fun.

EatChildren

CamHostage said:
In the Wii fanboy community, these guys are even being held up as the "unlockers of Wii graphics", finally showing that this system isn't two GameCubes duct-taped together like some say...

Ironically, I find Factor 5's engine used for RS3: Rebel Strike to be vastly superior to everything I've seen so far in The Conduit. It could be an art asset issue, but that game is fucking gorgeous, and easily surpasses a vast majority of Wii games to date.

EatChildren said:
Ironically, I find Factor 5's engine used for RS3: Rebel Strike to be vastly superior to everything I've seen so far in The Conduit. It could be an art asset issue, but that game is fucking gorgeous, and easily surpasses a vast majority of Wii games to date.

Factor 5 did amazing things with the Gamecube. They had such a profound knowledge of its architecture. RSII and III still manage to put most Wii games to shame, despite being 2 years into the Wii's life already. I would love to see what they could do with the Wii's added power.

As for The Conduit, I think it would be a bit unfair to expect a small, unproven team like High Voltage to produce the system's best visuals. Though there is a definite problem with the art style, it's technical achievements appear to be pretty impressive. To be honest I'm more impressed by High Voltage's attitude towards the system. Even if the game turns out to be mediocre (though I do have faith that it will be a very solid game), it's still great to see a team embrace the Wii and see its possibilities rather than its limitations.

Nothing in that video looked unique except the gun where the rotation of the wiimote determines the spread. If only designers focused on things like that. Stuff the PC can't do, stuff the other consoles can't do.

bdouble

ProfessorLobo said:
Nothing in that video looked unique except the gun where the rotation of the wiimote determines the spread. If only designers focused on things like that. Stuff the PC can't do, stuff the other consoles can't do.

Developers are having a hard enough time even realizing the IR is useful in games outside of the FPS genre. Don't go expecting them to be taking design risks like this all the time.

pisses me off. why the hell do we not have any more shooters, rts, or sweet IR controled games? Why is it that GAF sees the potential and a developer does not?

EatChildren

_Alkaline_ said:
Factor 5 did amazing things with the Gamecube. They had such a profound knowledge of its architecture. RSII and III still manage to put most Wii games to shame, despite being 2 years into the Wii's life already. I would love to see what they could do with the Wii's added power.

Assuming they don't go completely under (if they haven't already), they were supposed to be working on a Wii game. I'm not talking about that Kid Icarus nonsense, but if I remember correctly they stated they were building a custom Wii engine and game.

In other words; yes, I too would like to see them show their graphical prowess on the Wii.

As for The Conduit, I think it would be a bit unfair to expect a small, unproven team like High Voltage to produce the system's best visuals. Though there is a definite problem with the art style, it's technical achievements appear to be pretty impressive. To be honest I'm more impressed by High Voltage's attitude towards the system. Even if the game turns out to be mediocre (though I do have faith that it will be a very solid game), it's still great to see a team embrace the Wii and see its possibilities rather than its limitations.

Agreeable, but the thing is the Quantum engine (or whatever it's called) is quite impressive. It's capable of doing consistent bump mapping, normal mapping, depth of field, etc, using the Wii's programming archetecture without significantly destroying the framerate.

Very, very few Wii games do that, instead opting to use a mildly tweaked (if at all) engine suited for other systems.

I honestly think it's their artistry. It doesn't seem like it is confidently using the technology and rendering available to them, instead just kinda going "LETS MAKE IT REALLY BLOOMY AND PUT BUMP MAPS ALL OVER IT. OH MAKE IT SHINY TOO".

Using these fancy effects is quite different from using them well, which is something Factor 5 managed to pull off on the GCN to great success.

Even if The Conduit turns out to be mediocre in visuals, I hope other developers pick up the engine. Potential is there for sure.

So the footage was removed from Youtube - does anyone have a new link?

Dreams-Visions said:

Time to become a PC gamer I guess.

Davey Cakes

_Alkaline_ said:
Definitely. People need to look at the big picture here.

Who were High Voltage before The Conduit's announcement? Honestly? These are the guys who were bringing us the likes of Ben 10, Billy & Mandy, Codename Kids Next Door, Charlie and the friggin' Chocolate Factory, Family Guy, etc.

High Voltage is making The Conduit, which is a technically impressive game that pushes visual capacity of Wii as well as pushes the potential of the controller. Again, High Voltage. High Voltage. How many times do I have to say it?

This isn't Valve, Bungie, 2K, Infinity Ward, or some other more high-profile developer that's been producing some of the more impressive FPS on the powerhouse consoles. I think the fact alone that HV of all devs is making a game like The Conduit, as well as embracing the WiiWare service for many of their other games, is in itself surprising, impressive, and in a sense, uplifting.

Agent X

Rash said:
Definitely. People need to look at the big picture here.

Who were High Voltage before The Conduit's announcement? Honestly? These are the guys who were bringing us the likes of Ben 10, Billy & Mandy, Codename Kids Next Door, Charlie and the friggin' Chocolate Factory, Family Guy, etc.

To be fair to them, they've been around for a number of years, and although they've churned out a lot of quickie licensed games in the past, they also have a few strong games in their history. For example, they produced an amazing conversion of NBA Jam Tournament Edition for the Jaguar--the best version of the game outside of the arcades. Much like Backbone (another similarly maligned developer), they've proven they can deliver the goods as long as they're motivated enough.

One other factor that might play in their favor here is that this is not a licensed game. Sometimes, a developer is restricted by a license holder in what they can do with a game that utilizes that license. With a totally new IP, they have free reign to do whatever they want. They've chosen to do a serious first-person shooter that's tailored to the Wii, and aren't shackled by an existing license. If they can successfully deliver the goods, then this would be a real opportunity for them to break through to the next level. I'd love to see them pull it off.

EatChildren

Not an update, but Destructoid were sent a HVS The Conduit Christmas card. You can check it out here.

For those who don't know, Sega will be showing The Conduit (as well as MadWorld and HotD) at the NYC Comic Con in February. Should be good to see some new hands-on impressions from the latest build.

EatChildren said:
Not an update, but Destructoid were sent a HVS The Conduit Christmas card. You can check it out here.

For those who don't know, Sega will be showing The Conduit (as well as MadWorld and HotD) at the NYC Comic Con in February. Should be good to see some new hands-on impressions from the latest build.
cool

Top Bottom