• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's probably because After 3 they didn't come close to the MP it offered. And going back to it but adding in new types of gameplay but offer more customization etc, but lose all forms of armor upgrades, perks or however you want to call them, that would bring back a big amount of the lost playerbase.

They are very seemingly interested in gaining new fans through implementing stuff that has been done in WORSE games like Call of Duty etc like join in progress, power weapons, loadouts, instant spawns ( gross ) etc.

This game might sell as much as Halo 3, but I doubt the oldschool Halo fans are gonna wanna play the MP much by the sound of things. In all honestly it sounds disgusting to me ( the MP that is ).

I actually REALLY enjoyed the Reach MP, i played a ton. But AA did not make the game better imo, and the endless forge maps goddamn. I also like knowing where the shotgun is on a map, or anything else that I can actually count on. More randomness in competitive games sucks.

reah was changed , that is why sales were down.

Perhaps, but what ultimately matters is why they feel it was down, and thus how they react from there.

Honestly, I'll believe them when they give a 100% straight denial/make 100% completely unambiguous statements on both issues.
Come on now. That is essentially a 100% straight denial. He wouldn't have said "lolwut" if it wasn't untrue. You've been beating this drum for quite a while now (ever since the game was first announced, IIRC), even after me explaining to you that, as a Spartan, it is not in John's character to romantically "love" Cortana. To do this would be out of character (which is something 343i can do, but from Frankie's statement, it's not happening).

Time to move on.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Come on now. That is essentially a 100% straight denial. He wouldn't have said "lolwut" if it wasn't untrue. You've been beating this drum for quite a while now (ever since the game was first announced, IIRC), even after me explaining to you that, as a Spartan, it is not in John's character to romantically "love" Cortana. To do this would be out of character (which is something 343i can do, but from Frankie's statement, it's not happening).

Time to move on.

If you don't let me prod, we can't get them to make a straight denial on the other, more important multiplayer issues.

Believe it or not, this has worked before.

Edit: Check your PMs.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep
In this thread people hate change.

I admit some of the changes sound odd to me, the random weapon drops for one...that needs to be balanced perfectly or else you will have kids bitch about losing because one team got more weapon drops and what not.

Other than that I am excited, bring on the game!

ElRenoRaven

I don't usually come in Halo threads, or the Community thread, but what the fuck was wrong with Reach?

Some did not like the addition of Bloom and armor abilites. At the same time while fun it does have some flaws. Vehicles are really fubar. Warthog able to be wrecked by DMR, Banshee with endless ability to do stunts hence breaking it, and other minor flaws. At the same time the DMR should have had a 2x scope because at 3x it does break the sandbox somewhat. Some blow it way out of proportion though and feel that it's the worst game on the face of the earth as a result of these things.

I myself love it but do hate the armor abilites and the vehicles being so useless and weak. I have no complaints about the story but some do also dislike the retcons that happened with the story of Reach's fall. It's by no means shit though like some like to say.

Vire

In this thread people hate change.

I admit some of the changes sound odd to me, the random weapon drops for one...that needs to be balanced perfectly or else you will have kids bitch about losing because one team got more weapon drops and what not.

Other than that I am excited, bring on the game!

I love change. I'm on of the few members of the Halo community who absolutely adores Reach, particularly the campaign.

But things can be changed in the wrong direction. See Ninja Gaiden 3 for example, they had good intentions at heart, but the oversimplification of the combat ultimately lead to it's downfall.

The fact that this game won't be having a Beta is extra worrisome since we can't keep them in line when it comes to what needs to be fixed.

I'm not going to be 100% a negative nancy however. Despite my grievances with the multiplayer issues and the new Elite model. I'm excited for the singleplayer based on what they have shown.

Hyped for the campaign now after reading the new info but multiplayer changes still have me worried. In Frankie we trust I guess, that podcast can't come out soon enough.

Overdoziz

Banned
Then you are wrong.

Also just to clarify the miscommunication.

The end of the post you quoted.

"they were tired of Halo..."

Your post.

'Halo 2'

I thought you meant they were at the worst near the start, not the end.

PS Halo 2 blows.
He edited his. It used to say something along the lines of "Halo 1 was their only good Halo game"

Halo 2 MP is godtier (Hackers aside), same goes for the story of the singleplayer.

ElRenoRaven

I love change. I'm on of the few members of the Halo community who absolutely adores Reach, particularly the campaign.

But things can be changed in the wrong direction. See Ninja Gaiden 3 for example, they had good intentions at heart, but the oversimplification of the combat ultimately lead to it's downfall.

The fact that this game won't be having a Beta is extra worrisome since we can't keep them in line when it comes to what needs to be fixed.

I'm not going to be 100% a negative nancy however. Despite my grievances with the multiplayer issues and the new Elite model. I'm excited for the singleplayer based on what they have shown.

Exactly. Single Player sounds interesting as hell from a story perspective. The rest however not so much. But that's why I said from the beginning that I would rent the game first. I maintain that. If the Single Player ends up on par with what Bungie did then I'll probably end up buying it just for the Single Player. IF it isn't though then a rent it will stay.

I read through the past few pages and I just wanted to say this: I love Halo: Reach. Haters are going to hate but I play that game every weekend. Every weekend since Halo: Anniversary released over 100k players have been online. According to MajorNelson's Xbox Live Activity post from last week Halo: Reach was the 5th. most played game on the entire service. What beat it? Two CoD games, FIFA 12, and Battlefield 3. I have already played more games and earned more kills then I ever did in Halo 3. The only thing that really pissed me off is Armor Lock, it was just so cheap and unnatural to Halo. Bloom never did and still hasn't bothered me.

The stuff I have read about the campaign and Spartan Ops sounds real good and I have faith that it will end up great. I need to see multiplayer in action before I make a final decision on some of the details in the magazine.

Chinner

Banned
why don't they just stop making new maps and put in H2 maps every game

i would say yes but their remakes of h2 maps have been pretty terrible. the line of sights concept is just missed and they make every map like 2-3 times bigger than it should be. totally ruins the flow.

Thing is, we barely know anything here. Just bullet points with barely any context. I think we owe it to the guys at 343 to at least wait until we have a true MP unveil to where we can accurately judge the new additions' affect on multiplayer. From what I've seen they aren't "chasing cod" but adding some of the best things modern shooters have offered, while maintaining the look and feel of the Halo universe.

Like I said though, it's not worth it to have a meltdown (not you Dax, in general) until we at least get the full story. :)
I can only judge what's been released. My opinions are capable of being changed about Halo. Lord knows it has. When I first joined NeoGAF, CE was my favorite campaign, then it was Reach when it came out, and now it's Halo 3. None of what I'm saying is set in stone.

ElRenoRaven

I agree. CE was greater then 2 multiplayer wise. Halo 2 has some major flaws that ruined it for me. Those being insane auto aim, rocket lock on, unlimited sword ammo, and insane lunge. I would have done these things differently.

1. Auto Aim reduced by a huge margin

2. Rocket lock on gone except for air vehicles and it gets reduced in how damn insane it was.

3. Insane lunge gone. Being able to lunge from over 10 feet away was bullshit.

4. Sword should have had ammo. Simple as that.

If they had fixed those things I could have lived with no fall damage or health packs which were one of my minor nitpicks about Halo 2s multiplayer.

Vire

Halo Reach's ending is fucking masterful. Left me completely satisfied unlike Halo 3's unresolved mess.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Some did not like the addition of Bloom and armor abilites. At the same time while fun it does have some flaws. Vehicles are really fubar. Warthog able to be wrecked by DMR, Banshee with endless ability to do stunts hence breaking it, and other minor flaws. At the same time the DMR should have had a 2x scope because at 3x it does break the sandbox somewhat. Some blow it way out of proportion though and feel that it's the worst game on the face of the earth as a result of these things.

I myself love it but do hate the armor abilites and the vehicles being so useless and weak. I have no complaints about the story but some do also dislike the retcons that happened with the story of Reach's fall. It's by no means shit though like some like to say.

Yeah I don't mind the story since I was never a Halo geek.
I don't remember the armor abilities being weak? Anyway, that still doesn't constitute a broken game lol.

Vire

SP > MP anyway.

As I've gotten older I tend to agree. I just don't get that same drive to be super competitive anymore. People get too serious about the games these days and I just want to have fun. Oh well...

I liked Halo 3, a lot even. I was disappointed in it because it wasn't Halo CE, but that's not a fault with the game as such. It played like Halo and Halo plays damned well. But Reach actually got up to Halo levels of oohs and aahs at times. The ending cemented everything good about the game.

ElRenoRaven

Yeah I don't mind the story since I was never a Halo geek.
I don't remember the armor abilities being weak? Anyway, that still doesn't constitute a broken game lol.

I probably should have specified. The armor abilities weren't weak. It's the vehicles that were. I could have worded that sentence better. Not so good at putting thoughts to written word. I also agree. I don't think the game is broken like others do. Bloom didn't bother me, I can choose to play a mode without armor abilites if I want to also. But for others apparently bloom alone is enough to consider it broken.

As I've gotten older I tend to agree. I just don't get that same drive to be super competitive anymore. People get too serious about the games these days and I just want to have fun. Oh well...

I'm with both of you on that. I used to love MP a ton but without some good friends it's so hard to find a good group that don't take the game too seriously. So at the end of the day for me it will always be the singleplayer first for me.

And no, Halo 2 and Halo 3 were no where even close to being as awesome as Halo CE MP.

It's interesting how people like to talk about "old Halo fans" like they're a homogenous bunch, when they're clearly not. Going by the posts in this thread, some of them really enjoyed Reach's multiplayer, some of them think Halo 3 was the last good Halo MP game, others think everything went downhill after Halo 2, while there are even people, like the person whose post I quoted, who swear by the original's MP. I'd say Halo 4 will be just fine as long as it feels more or less like Halo - there's apparently no single definition of what that should be like.

I think Reach sold about the same as Halo 3 even though there was a much larger playerbase.

There was a much larger potential player base, but we all know that sales don't scale linearly with that. Reach was also not a numbered sequel, it didn't feature Master Chief, and had to go against COD which exploded in the meantime.

I liked Halo 3, a lot even. I was disappointed in it because it wasn't Halo CE, but that's not a fault with the game as such. It played like Halo and Halo plays damned well. But Reach actually got up to Halo levels of oohs and aahs at times. The ending cemented everything good about the game.

I think 3 wins best SP becuase of the others failings.

Reach didn't have a proper Scarab battle

ODST forced you to play FF in SP. (sticking you in a small area to fight waves of enemies for a set time).

CE has too many flood levels.

and 2... was top to bottom trash.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

ODST forced you to play FF in SP. (sticking you in a small area to fight waves of enemies for a set time).

This man knows his stuff.

Sounds pretty decent. Wonder if it it will be better than ODST (aka the only great Halo game)

I'll keep my eye on it. Good to have flesh blood on the IP I think.

Not a Jellyfish

but I am a sheep

I will forever love to hate the flood levels in CE, some of my best and funniest gaming memories come from the Library.

Halo CE's SP was good. Really good. But I had way more fun in H2's MP - and for me, MP matters more.

If H4 can be a perfect amalgamation between H1's SP and the fun (not necessarily copy paste gameplay) of H2 im sold.

Im already hyped. Graphics look great. Sprinting is a base trait. Something I have been advocating since H3 was being developed. I like the random weapon drops. The only thing Im a bit nervous about is instant spawns. Not good for a game based on shield recharges.

Though tbh, for me halo has been getting a bit stale with each new iteration, so I always welcome change with open arms.

This man knows his stuff.

High five.

I will forever love to hate the flood levels in CE, some of my best and funniest gaming memories come from the Library.

I was fine with the Library back then, it's just if I go and play Halo again now I play to the end of 343 and call it a day, one of the best bits of 3 was how they being the Flood into the game but still have some real levels after that point, the level Covenant is hours after the Flood shows up and only has one combat scenario with them in.

ElRenoRaven

Hell I've always thought that the flood gets shit on unfairly. I haven't hated a single campaign level in all of the games. Not a one. The only thing flood related I would say I disliked was the ranged forms in Halo 3. That's mainly because it seemed that I never had a good long ranged weapon every damn time I came upon them. Other then that I've enjoyed the flood and the dynamic change they bring to the game. Halo shifts perfectly from strong tacticle combat to mindless corridor shooting with AI swarming you when you fight the flood. It breaks up the flow nicely I think. Also just think about how evil and diabolical the flood is. Kind of reminds me of a zombie apocalypse also and gives you that feeling of we have to prevent this.

Omega

Banned

Fun doesn't mean shit has to be random.

I'm no longer "super competitive" either, but I always enjoyed Halo because of it's gameplay. Timing of the power weapons, map control, etc. was always fun. Just because you go for map control or time power weapons doesn't mean you're an "MLG douchebag" (as someone called it earlier) or a super srs gamer.

What Halo 4 is doing is taking EVERYTHING that made Halo what it was, and throwing it out the window to try and make it Call of Duty: Space. If I wanted to play CoD, I'd play CoD.

Oh well. I knew this day was coming. It was only a matter of time before Microsoft got jealous that Call of Duty dethroned it and would just make Halo a shit CoD clone.

What Halo 4 is doing is taking EVERYTHING that made Halo what it was, and throwing it out the window to try and make it Call of Duty: Space. If I wanted to play CoD, I'd play CoD.

Oh well. I knew this day was coming. It was only a matter of time before Microsoft got jealous that Call of Duty dethroned it and would just make Halo a shit CoD clone.

EVERYTHING?

Dude.

Top Bottom