• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Halo 4 GI information (Spartan OPs, multi, etc) [Update: Campaign/More Details]

Gui_PT

halo 4 timing couldn't be any better.

with cod franchise while still ridiculously popular i think this is the year that begins to show significant fatigue, if MS positions itself correctly with marketing they might be able to pull some cod players over.

Lol

Little kids will never get tired of that franchise

halo 4 timing couldn't be any better.

with cod franchise while still ridiculously popular i think this is the year that begins to show significant fatigue, if MS positions itself correctly with marketing they might be able to pull some cod players over.
Hahaha, people say this every year.

Kujo

Never noticed any ghosting in game. Not saying it's not there, just that I dont care or notice. Non-issue.
For you yeah. But a lot of people seem to notice it, it was obvious to me the first time I played campaign. Same thing with the framerate issues. If you notice it, it can get quite distracting.

At least Halo 4 has some decent AA this time though

monome

You better ask for Halo 4 to get over 10M units sold rather than bother with COD.

If both IPs keep on selling, you have a good chance Halo 6 won t be a social game with NFC trading cards

Conor 419

Banned
Hmm, I'm at odds with the 'darker colour palette'. I understand that they may be opting for a storyline which is dark in tone, this is fair enough. However I think this is the wrong way of doing it, for the most part. Some of the most intelligently written and tonally dark entertainment releases ever are vivid in colour. Even in gaming this holds true, Majora's Mask managed to evoke a spectacularly tragic storyline whilst being set in a luscious environment.

I'm worried Halo 4 is doing a different kind of dark, where instead of tragic, emotional and symbolic darkness we're going to get literal, military, gritty dark which was akin to Reach. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Reach's campaign but I always got a sense that the story was trying to be a tragedy but...without the tragedy. I much preferred the original, triumphant Trilogy with it's colourful landscapes and regularly upbeat tone. I don't want 343i to forsake the wonderful Halo environments in the name of 'darkness' and not actually reap any kind of benefit because the story's lacking.

I think ODST's art style and colour palette better suited its storyline than Reach did with its own. Hopefully Halo 4 will follow up on that note and do the same. Please don't send us down the overly militaristic route 343i, not again.

halo_4_gameinformer_concept_art_5.jpg

Leaves me optimistic. (I am allowed to post that now, right?)

Conor 419

Banned
Big franchises that have managed to sustain themselves have done so with non regular releases, see GTA or Pokémon. CoD is different, not only is it facing serious competition, it's releasing anually and showing strong signs of fatigue. I genuinely feel this is the beginning of the end (of dominance) for the IP.

Hmm, I'm at odds with the 'darker colour palette'. I understand that they may be opting for a storyline which is dark in tone, this is fair enough. However I think this is the wrong way of doing it, for the most part. Some of the most intelligently written and tonally dark entertainment releases ever are vivid in colour. Even in gaming this holds true, Majora's Mask managed to evoke a spectacularly tragic storyline whilst being set in a luscious environment.

I'm worried Halo 4 is doing a different kind of dark, where instead of tragic, emotional and symbolic darkness we're going to get literal, military, gritty dark which was akin to Reach. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Reach's campaign but I always got a sense that the story was trying to be a tragedy but...without the tragedy. I much preferred the original, triumphant Trilogy with it's colourful landscapes and regularly upbeat tone. I don't want 343i to forsake the wonderful Halo environments in the name of 'darkness' and not actually reap any kind of benefit because the story's lacking.

I think ODST's art style and colour palette better suited its storyline than Reach did with its own. Hopefully Halo 4 will follow up on that note and do the same. Please don't send us down the overly militaristic route 343i, not again.

Yeah, that art has been officially released. Also, I dont think you have to worry-

monome

I don t think they have invested in making the lighting tech top notch to get out a browny washed out game.

the change of tone reflects the higher stakes (notably in storytelling), 343i will want to explore other things over time.

Eh, that may mean the colors are richer and more dramatic, it doesn't mean muted. So far Halo 4 seems to have a richer pallet than Reach, but time will tell. Plus, some areas in Reach looked fantastic.

What I've seen so far looks great, I'm just not a fan of the idea that desaturated colors leads to something being more mature, but as I said H4 looks great.

I don t think they have invested in making the lighting tech top notch to get out a browny washed out game.

the change of tone reflects the higher stakes (notably in storytelling), 343i will want to explore other things over time.

I point this question more at 343 then you but,
What stake is possible higher then the elimination of all life in the universe?

Conor 419

Banned
Ah, good reminders.

See, I could totally tolerate a dark colour palette if the environments are still grand, open and interesting to explore. So I'm hoping that we get to explore Abandoned Forerunner Halls, Ancient Subterranean Caverns and Peaceful, yet haunting Forests opposed to Military Bunkers and fucking quarries.

What I've seen so far looks great, I'm just not a fan of the idea that desaturated colors leads to something being more mature, but as I said H4 looks great.

Well to be fair, its a technique that is effective, as it can help set mood and tone very well. That said, I really doubt the game will go that route to set the tone, I imagine the color palette will be dark in a moody sense, yet the colors used will be rich.

examples:

Down by 5% or something like that. Nothing to scare Activision I'm sure.
When you start out 7% stronger, and then fall 5% behind within 4 months, that's something to be concerned with.

I point this question more at 343 then you but,
What stake is possible higher then the elimination of all life in the universe?
Halo 1-3 was just the galaxy, lol.

7-9 will involve fourth wall breakage and Chief will have to save our universe.

danwarb

Never noticed any ghosting in game. Not saying it's not there, just that I dont care or notice. Non-issue.
That example of "ghosting" is to do with object motion blur rather than AA. I think they improved the temporal-AA ghosting from the Reach beta by switching it of when you move about.

Well, MW3 is actualy down from BLOPS, so they actually have a reason to say it this year. BLOPS2 will be the true test if the series is in decline or not though.

No, they really don't. It's like complaining that, in terms of sales, an A+++ went down to an A++. It is still unrivaled in terms of sales and I really wouldn't read into it.

Still, I am all for Halo taking back the crown. :)

monome

go read the books and cole whining at the soporif reveals of cortana getting crazy, chief being human and ennemies to be dark

EDIT: Links are down, odd.
Anyway, currently seems that they have nailed the look of the concept art, so I expect greatness.

Well to be fair, its a technique that is effective, as it can help set mood and tone very well. That said, I really doubt the game will go that route to set the tone, I imagine the color palette will be dark in a moody sense, yet the colors used will be rich.

examples:

My '-_-' was really more pointed towards the PR that thinks those lines win people over, the pics you selected do a good job of showing why I have faith in 343 not taking away one of Halos strengths.

Yes. Seven rings, each with a maximum effective radius of 25,000 lightyears. The Ark was located outside the galaxy, safe from the Halos' effects.

While I do now look like an idiot, I hope a bit of point stands, the end of all life you ever knew of is pretty much my cap for stakes after that it's diminishing returns.

Sci Fi works tend to only stay in one galaxy to keep in check how vast the entire universe is

When I found that out for Star Trek a few years ago I went a bit light headed.

Conor 419

Banned
EDIT: Links are down, odd.
Anyway, currently seems that they have nailed the look of the concept art, so I expect greatness.

It's a shame they're down, but I can't help but feel I'd be reassured anyway. Especially by someone who uses the same username as me, but on different sites. We must have a similar frame of mind ;D

Maybe you're me from the future, who's come back to save me.

Symbolism.

GhaleonEB

Bungie didn't really lie. Things just didn't turn out as originally planned, Halo 2 e3 wasn't a "target render".
Yeah. There's a difference between showing stuff too early in development and lying. This is the reason they've waited longer and longer to show the games since Halo 2. Look at where we are with Halo 4 - it's nearly May and we have just a few seconds of gameplay footage.

And I totally agree with the people praising ODST for having removed the BR. The game played, so, so much better. The feeling of having to really scavenge for weapons really added a lot to the game - and especially to Firefight. That's one way that Reach went so wrong (DMR + unlimited ammo = why use anything else?).

Yeah. There's a difference between showing stuff too early in development and lying. This is the reason they've waited longer and longer to show the games since Halo 2. Look at where we are with Halo 4 - it's nearly May and we have just a few seconds of gameplay footage.

And I totally agree with the people praising ODST for having removed the BR. The game played, so, so much better. The feeling of having to really scavenge for weapons really added a lot to the game - and especially to Firefight. That's one way that Reach went so wrong (DMR + unlimited ammo = why use anything else?).

Ya but Halo4 is pretty much done design wise at this point. E3 is soon, the game ships in November, not much is gonna change in terms of design now. Right now its more about balancing, bug fixing, finishing up everything and graphics.

I like everything released here recently, but this has me a bit worried, hoping its just the typically misunderstanding rather then fact

343 Industries will usher in the next level of Halo titles with a darker game. It's evident in these early moments, and O'Connor says it will be seen throughout. While the Chief will eventually wind up on the planet below (Requiem), much of the game will play out on the Forever Unto Dawn, O'Connor says.

I'm fine with the game starting there, but I hope we don't spend more then a level or 2 there. My fear is that we spend a significant amount of time on Foward Unto Dawn and then briefly land on Requiem for the third act.

Top Bottom