• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Hitman: Absolution reviews hit

So I just checked the YT videos that have been uploaded by those who have early or pirated X360 copies.

I am talking about (location info)
the gun store

Notice it doesn't have an assassination, however there are still multiple ways you can complete an objective.

So I just checked the YT videos that have been uploaded by those who have early or pirated X360 copies.

I am talking about (location info)
the gun store

Notice it doesn't have an assassination, however there are still multiple ways you can complete an objective.

Doesn't count. This is HITMAN. I need to be hitting things, man.

Seriously though, there seems to be a severe dissonance between what the developers talk about conceptually in walkthroughs and what these reviews are saying. I'm pretty confident I'll love it but I don't think anyone with a negative view is likely to change their mind now so we're just gonna have to wait and see.

DukeBobby

+Everything Blood Money had.
+Add a cover system.
+More diverse missions (ex. on a Train going through the Swiss Alps?)
+David Bateson (I know he's in Absolution but I don't want them to even THINK of someone else).
+Clean up the AI and walking animations.

Well, 4 out of 5 ain't bad.

szaromir

Banned
g0aS9.gif

Me expression whenever I heard/read people saying positive stuff about Max Payne 1/2.

I never like the trial & error nature of previous Hitman games so this one might be better for me... I'll get it once it's <€10 on a DD store.

I'm watching some chinese youtubes of this and there's a part where
some evil Texan frames 47 for murder. lol.

I feel like it's actually a good idea to tone down some of the rose tinted hyperbole going on in this thread.

Yo, Blood Money rules. I played it the other day and figured out a different way to do a New Life.

So I just watched some of this Joystiq walkthrough (don't see it posted - sorry if so) which has IO staff commentating on various aspects. Have to say I am still pretty hopeful for the game after that, almost everything they talk about resonates in a positive way for me.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/11/12/joystream-hitman-abolution-with-io-interactives-tore-blystad-a/

Thanks for that, looks pretty cool. Like the idea that it's cinematic with the music, but still has player choice rather than filling it with cutscenes or Uncharted-like setpieces.

Glass Rebel

A friend pre-ordered it from GMG yesterday but I'll remain strong. Some of the impressions are disappointing as hell and not what I want from a Hitman game at all but it still might be a good game. I just have a hard time not imagining what a game closer to Blood Money would be like.

Me expression whenever I heard/read people saying positive stuff about Max Payne 1/2.

I never like the trial & error nature of previous Hitman games so this one might be better for me... I'll get it once it's <€10 on a DD store.

not falling for this not falling for this not falling for this....

Hindle

Banned
I just genuinely hope the Montreal studio make the next game like what were used to instead of changing things that don't need changing.

Derrick01

Banned
http://www.hitmanforum.com/index.php/topic/56994-neogaf-and-the-user-derek-pisses-me-off/
KuGsj.gif

Someone who spells their name derek seems like someone who would piss me off too.

- LITERALLY. ONLY. ONE. PROPER. ASSASSINATION. MISSION. AND IT'S THE FIRST LEVEL. AND IT'S NOT HARD. I GOT SILENT ASSASSIN RANKING ON MY FIRST TRY. TOOK ME 9 MINUTES.

Even I don't believe the game is that bad.

Ciastek3214

Well, I just watched some walkthroughs, and it doesn't look good. I'll not talk gameplay because the guy playing it was fucking stupid. The bad things that stuck out to me were great focus on "story", and the number of cutscenes. The cutscenes are especially bad, badly acted, directed, writing is.. ugh. And they kill the pacing of the game.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Yo, Blood Money rules. I played it the other day and figured out a different way to do a New Life.
Really? I'm on my second playthrough of the game, currently at that mission, and don't know how to proceed stealthily. It's a great mission, but I find it pretty difficult to play "well".

I managed to get to the basement and then the bathroom undetected, but that's it. And with the suit I'm not going far unless I start some killing spree.

Really? I'm on my second playthrough of the game, currently at that mission, and don't know how to proceed stealthily. It's a great mission, but I find it pretty difficult to play "well".

I managed to get to the basement and then the bathroom undetected, but that's it. And with the suit I'm not going far unless I start some killing spree.

Really? It's easy. There are many ways to get in undetected.
My favourite: donuts.

A good way to get a pretty easy disguise is to get the tranquilizer darts from the vet's clinic, climb up the tree house and shoot the camera and the dog in the side yard. Then, wait until the pool boy is just walking into the tool shed, shoot him with it too. You'll be able to enter the side yard freely and run into the tool shed when the fed turns his back.

Double D

This actually looked pretty great. Hopefully there isn't a whole lot of truth to the fact that this is the only level where there is an actual assassination, but we'll see. I've got pretty tempered expectations, and already preordered a while ago, so it's not like I won't play the thing in it's entirety regardless of what anyone says.

jimi_dini

So on Purist, Instinct is turned off, but still on?

What's worse is that the instinct gauge isn't shown at all. Which means "guess how much instinct is left lol". Are you supposed to count seconds? And you are also supposed to guess, which actions give you more instinct time? Looks totally well designed.

Points are also not shown, which would have shown the idiot, who played in the video, that slitting throats of anyone but the target will subtract points. At least that's not a real problem.

LuchaShaq

Banned
As someone who always liked the IDEA of the hitman series but hated the controls I hope all the anger from certain people make me enjoy this one.

Derrick01

Banned
As someone who always liked the IDEA of the hitman series but hated the controls I hope all the anger from certain people make me enjoy this one.

Yeah like most streamlined series you get better playability but at the expense of a lot of the depth and detail they had.

Foffy

Banned
What's worse is that the instinct gauge isn't shown at all. Which means "guess how much instinct is left lol". Are you supposed to count seconds? And you are also supposed to guess, which actions give you more instinct time? Looks totally well designed.

Points are also not shown, which would have shown the idiot, who played in the video, that slitting throats of anyone but the target will subtract points. At least that's not a real problem.

Purist is only done for the super hardcore fans. IO has gone on record saying not many, if anyone, beat the game on that setting internally. I think Purist is for sadists, whereas most people will peak out at the next difficulty level, which is nearly the same thing except for having a HUD. I'm unsure of what difficulty setting I want to play on. Normal seems like Hitman Contracts all over again in that you're a phenomenal bullet sponge, but the habit of these games is the harder settings often penalize you when it comes to gunplay, and I'm not sure if the game mandates a few gunning segments (the only game to not do that is Contracts). That post moaning about the entire game that was posted here only highlighted what I didn't want to see on harder settings, as once again the AI can take you down in fewer shots but they can take many more.

jimi_dini

Purist is only done for the super hardcore fans. IO has gone on record saying not many, if anyone, beat the game on that setting internally. I think Purist is for sadists, whereas most people will peak out at the next difficulty level, which is nearly the same thing except for having a HUD.

I know, but that's the point. Super hardcore fans will probably start on that difficulty. And it won't matter how good they are - Instinct is still there for the crappy hand-over-face mechanic. And you can't see how much is left, how much you have, how much you gained.

Which means people playing on that difficulty will have to guess around. If they are wrong, they will get detected. Which is bad. I mean they still show the inventory-menu including ammo left (which shouldn't be needed) and they even show the button to grab an item, get into cover, get out of cover, kill an enemy, etc., because everyone knows that super hardcore fans are too dumb to remember the action of a button, but showing instinct gauge? Nah.

It seems they designed the game without this difficulty in mind. And then tacked it on by removing almost all the HUD. But they didn't think it through.

If I would buy this game in a few days, I would surely start on this difficulty. But then I would get offended by all the button prompts EVEN ON THIS DIFFICULTY. And then I would get mad, because I used hand-over-face and instinct was gone, I had no idea and I had to restart a level just because of that.

Foffy

Banned
SA? Yes. Normal playthrough? Hell no. BM finally got past the trial and error. Even on max difficulty.

It restructured a lot to take into account for an SA. You can set up accidents in the previous games, but they're still tallied as kills. BM gave you a massive pool of things and Absolution seems to be going back to the older titles where some accidents can count negatively, if they're specifically of non-targets.

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
I pre-ordered this game for $23 from GMG and I am seriously thinking of cancelling my pre-order. I hate hate hate what they've done to the Hitman serires in this game. I feel like they took out all the good features like the map, open ended missions, social stealth and tacked on all the bad features that people hate in this generation of consoles: Cover mechanics, line of sight stealth, intrusive UI, mark and execute (herp and derp), a "This time it's personal" plot and the stupid detective vision, I mean instinct. Furthermore, the game seems to be marred with bad design choices, I mean really stupid shit, the instinct is gained by killing people, really? Talk about defeating the entire purpose of a hitman! Faulty checkpoints, segmented levels, cutscene assasinations, "Cover your face" mechanic... Man I am so disappointed.

MMaRsu

Banned
I pre-ordered this game for $23 from GMG and I am seriously thinking of cancelling my pre-order. I hate hate hate what they've done to the Hitman serires in this game. I feel like they took out all the good features like the map, open ended missions, social stealth and tacked on all the bad features that people hate in this generation of consoles: Cover mechanics, line of sight stealth, intrusive UI, mark and execute (herp and derp), a "This time it's personal" plot and the stupid detective vision, I mean instinct. Furthermore, the game seems to be marred with bad design choices, I mean really stupid shit, the instinct is gained by killing people, really? Talk about defeating the entire purpose of a hitman! Faulty checkpoints, segmented levels, cutscene assasinations, "Cover your face" mechanic... Man I am so disappointed.

You and me both brother. But I was already prepared last E3. Fuck IO and fuck this game. Ill just go play BM again and again and again till a true sequel rears it's head ( which will never happen sadly ).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I have reviewed this game, although I would like to remain anonymous. I can honestly say that the comments Mr Francis has made about the game are entirely false. Assassinations are NOT cutscenes any more than they are in Blood Money (IE an animation once the 'accident' is set up or whatever is the way it's always been – it's not a cutscene because you're either choosing to stick around and watch – in full control – or you're already making your escape or whatever, NEVER is control taken away from you).

As for checkpoints THEY ONLY EVEN EXIST ON LOW DIFFICULTY. Meaning this reviewer played it through on easy or medium and since he claims to be an experienced Hitman player, he should know that these difficulty levels were not made for him. He has essentially failed to do the job he has been paid to do.

The 'pointless' objectives (open a door) refers to exiting the level once the hit has been complete. YOU HAVE ALWAYS HAD TO EXIT THE LEVEL ONCE THE HIT WAS COMPLETE.

Some of the levels are small, sure, but THERE ARE FIFTY OF THEM.

The AI is fantastic as always. 47 is the catalyst. Mix him with the AI in any way and entertaining (and often unexpected) things happen. Just as they always have, but way, way better than ever before. The story is, admittedly, quite poor, but it's also irrelevant. It ties one playground to the next by a thin thread and that's all that matters.

Do not listen to Tom Francis. He has failed to do his job and speaking as a fellow reviewer, in my opinion deserves to be severely scolded for it, both by the general gaming public, who he has failedf, by the developer and publisher of the game, who he has failed, and by the company he works for, who he has failed. Once you lot get to play the game, you will immediately see how FACTUALLY incorrect this review is. It's chock-full of out and out lies.

It restructured a lot to take into account for an SA. You can set up accidents in the previous games, but they're still tallied as kills. BM gave you a massive pool of things and Absolution seems to be going back to the older titles where some accidents can count negatively, if they're specifically of non-targets.

Bingo. I mentioned some posts above that this looks like going two games back - this is one of the reasons. Everything we gained with Blood Money seems to be lost. Why?

jimi_dini

How is that any different from Blood Money or other Hitman games? These Silent Assassins runs were done through trial and error.

Especially in Blood Money, getting caught was your own fault most of the time. You didn't look through a keyhole. You didn't listen to your surroundings. You didn't WATCH your surroundings. You didn't take your time. You didn't use a disguise. Even if you used a wrong disguise, guards most of the time asked you to leave unless you were further in.

Which means you make a mistake and in the worst case, you need to restart the level or reload the saved game. In any case, you learned because of that.

But this? You are in disguise. You need to pass a point and there is no way around it. But now you also need super-hand-power and you don't know, if there is any super-hand-power left. So you press the button, cross your fingers and hope for the best. You can't learn from it, because the gauge is hidden. I call that broken "difficulty".

Unless of course you are required to do stuff, that will refill it every single time, before passing through one of those points. But then the whole mechanic is useless.

Oh wait, I could just shoot my way through and play 47-mass-murder. That will refill the instinct meter for sure.

My first playthrough in the first mission of Blood Money took ages - I didn't want to get caught, I managed to get through with SA ranking. I didn't manage this through the whole game on my first run, but then me being caught was because of my own faults. Hitman 2 is broken in that regard though.

Top Bottom