• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa in Power Rangers Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't get crazier than the the "My Waifu" powerup

A6aYlyV.gif

Which Power Ranger series is this from?!???

blakep267

My initial thoughts are, the costume isn't bad, but that's not what I expect of Rita. That's a new character/ villain or like Lord Zedds grunt or something. Not Rita. And also I'm not expecting something like the old look, but that's a little too sexual. Like if you told me that was Divatox I'd be fine

Tansut

“It’s definitely a modern and edgy re-imagining of the original Rita Repulsa,” Banks tells PEOPLE. “We wanted to give her a backstory that connects her to the new Rangers.”
Okay look. You can't do a modern and edgy re-imagining of a character fuckin' called Rita Repulsa.

Why even change her main color, red.
Why even call it the same if you are going to trhow the original to the bin to just create a new character design wise.

Of course Rita neede to be redesigned, but they needed to add the red and a better done hair with riboons thingy where people said, yep, thats a redesigned Rita.

Wish they had kept a TAD closer to the original... Even this concept art was more faithful and still had that new "green" aesthetic.
power-rangers-semkow-concept-art.jpg

At least that concept seem to try to have the hair form, and you could say, well that tries to imatate Rita somewhat.
But why the fuck someone decided green was the only way to go.

Pokemaniac

As a Power Rangers villain costume, it's actually pretty good.

Terrible design for a Rita Repulsa costume, though. It doesn't even try to take inspiration from the original.

The more I hear about this movie, the more I just keep thinking "why?".

NEO0MJ

Meh

The villain designs in Power Rangers were always straight trash outside of Zedd so I'm not too concerned about staying faithful to them. I mean, seriously, look at these fuckers.

YTfymPr.jpg

Shut your whore mouth, Goldar is badass!

But aren't Kamen Riders also all about that posing?

20 years later I just realized that is not a hat, but her hair.

Holy shit.

It shocked me too when I found that out a few years ago.

She really does look more like she'd be one of the Lieutenants, rather than the lead villain.

Mind you, if the earlier suggestion about this motif somehow connecting her to the green ranger were to have any merit, then I can sorta see the reasoning in such a choice. Really, what has me curious is the statement that she's somehow meant to be connected to the Rangers directly, presumably beyond being an old foe that their mentor failed to put down. Which raises the question of what exactly you can do in that framework. Have Rita be the one who created the powers?

Mr_Zombie

That's... not Rita.

I can understand "modern and edgy re-imaginings" and whatnot, but when your version of the character ends up looking nothing like the original one, shares completely no similarities, I think it can be said that it's a failed attempt at re-imagining. Especially when you take a character so characteristic as Rita, with her voice, big hair/hat combo and the dress, and turn her into a generic green "alien warrior" (wasn't Rita a witch?) with rope fetish. :/

I would like the design if it wasnt for Rita Repulsa.

This looks more like a cross between Echantress and Poison Ivy than Rita. Put her in a Batman movie instead.

VgWXShB.gif

Sephzilla

Meh

The villain designs in Power Rangers were always straight trash outside of Zedd so I'm not too concerned about staying faithful to them. I mean, seriously, look at these fuckers.

YTfymPr.jpg

Goldar looks badass you take that back.

(Movie Goldar however looks awful)

showvsmovie-goldar.jpg

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
As a Power Rangers villain costume, it's actually pretty good.

Terrible design for a Rita Repulsa costume, though. It doesn't even try to take inspiration from the original.

The more I hear about this movie, the more I just keep thinking "why?".

People buy nostalgia

Oh boy. Just now realized we're going see a bastardized version of a Japanese product double bastardized into a movie.

This movie is going to be crazy isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom