• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Look at Hulu Drama "The Path" starring Aaron Paul,Hugh Dancy, Michelle Monaghan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Variety

Hulu has released the first photos of “The Path” as it hopes to gain more followers for its upcoming original series.

The Universal Television drama, which was previously titled “The Way”, stars Hugh Dancy as the charming, de facto head of a controversial movement called Meyerism. Aaron Paul and Michelle Monaghan also star as a married couple involved with the group (him by choice; her by birth) as the show explores issues of relationships and power. Sarah Jones, Rockmond Dunbar, Emma Greenwell, Kyle Allen and Amy Forsyth appear as well.

“The Path” was created by “Parenthood” alum Jessica Goldberg. She exec produces along with “Parenthood” creator Jason Katims and Michelle Lee of True Jack Prods. It premieres March 30 on Hulu.

golem

Do they worship John Meyer or something? Or is it a riff on Scientology? Article is light on details

maxcriden

Looks really interesting.

Agreed. Stellar cast, too. I hope they don't feel the need to Showtime it up too much with silly sex scenes that don't add to the show. I'm a bit concerned that Hulu and Amazon are heading in that direction with some of their content and I think it has a contrary effect a bit. Regardless, very interested in the show and anything from an FNL alum gets my attention quite a bit.

Ashhong

Agreed. Stellar cast, too. I hope they don't feel the need to Showtime it up too much with silly sex scenes that don't add to the show. I'm a bit concerned that Hulu and Amazon are heading in that direction with some of their content and I think it has a contrary effect a bit. Regardless, very interested in the show and anything from an FNL alum gets my attention quite a bit.

If said sex scenes have nudity from Monaghan then I'm all for it. There's something about her..

Katims is only execute producing right? Wonder how much he's really involved

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
‘The Path’ Not About Scientology Insists Creator

“I wanted to imagine my own,” creator Jessica Goldberg said of the cult at the center of her new HULU series about a family at the center of a controversial movement. “I wanted to invent my ideal faith. And then, of course, with any faith, there’s a dark side to it. I felt it would be too narrow, and wouldn’t allow us the same storytelling opportunities, if we put this into something that already existed,” when asked why she had not done just that.

“I don’t follow anything…This show really came out of more personal experience for me a few years ago, when I had the double whammy of losing a parent and getting divorced in one year, and found my own little universe I deeply believed in. I felt like this is a world of shadows.” The Path, she said, is entirely the result of a “personal experience, and feeling that the frame of my life had crumbled,” in which you “wake up one day and the ground you stood on is no longer ground any more. That’s the leaping-off point for me.”

maxcriden

If said sex scenes have nudity from Monaghan then I'm all for it. There's something about her..

Katims is only execute producing right? Wonder how much he's really involved

That kind of reasoning for sex scenes is the exact least I'd expect to see from a FNL producer, FWIW. So I wouldn't expect anything too graphic for that reason at the least. Those series were very interested in verisimilitude over sexiness in their scenes.

Anyway--Katims. Not sure how strongly he's involved. It's not one he's showrunning and he tends to showrun the series he's super involved in these days, so I expect he's more involved with the production of the HBO Pilot "Us" that he's working on. I'm sure he's still moderately involved with this show, though.

BTW, looks like watching Boyhood has inspired him to want to return to Parenthood:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/jason-katims-parenthood-revival-853595

Meh, unless there is a supernatural element (which would admittedly be kinda dumb) it looks pretty boring and re-treading movies and shows I have seen before.

Also, is this kind of content free for everyone on hulu or you need hulu+ / hulu gold / whatever to watch it?

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
This seems like the first thing that could get me to jump into Hulu.

My main question from the trailer: who hired all these good actors and then also decided to give Minka Kelly a role? Did they max out their talent cap and have to settle with her?

Ahiru77

Somehow did NOT expect Hugh to play a cult leader, even though Hannibal. lol

And yeah of course they're gonna shag the daylights out of Michelle Monaghan if True Detective was any indicator.

Well......all this roughness and "adult" content is gonna take some getting used to, but greatness is there if you're watching Aaron. As always.

That looked really interesting. Spiraling down a cult.

First Church of the Wendigo.

hannibal211hdtv-lol0881_zps2f292f09.jpg

This seems like the first thing that could get me to jump into Hulu.

My main question from the trailer: who hired all these good actors and then also decided to give Minka Kelly a role? Did they max out their talent cap and have to settle with her?

likely katims' doing. she will prolly be a minor role anyways.

maxcriden

The new trailer is really intriguing for the most part. I have high hopes for anything from Katims. I just don't want the show to have gratuitous content just b/c it's on Hulu or to have no characters to root for because that's not what I want from Katims. I don't want him to just make the same show over and over but I know he can write compelling protags who are good people and that's my personal protagonist preference so that's what I'd like to see here as well.

- THR review
The Path, Hulu's riveting new drama, works precisely because series creator Jessica Goldberg (Parenthood) and executive producer Jason Katims (Parenthood), pull the levers of belief and doubt so convincingly and have assembled a superb cast, with Aaron Paul (Breaking Bad), Michelle Monaghan (Gone Baby Gone, True Detective) and Hugh Dancy (Hannibal) going all in with exceptional performances.

Bottom Line: Riveting and superbly acted.

Faenix1

Wait, this is on Hulu? But I see commercials about it on TV.

Will it not air on a TV channel? (I'm in Canada, if that matters)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom